All things Cyberpunk 2077 General Thread

What i don't understand is, why is there a character creation system in this game when it's a first person game? Like, am i the only one kinda weirded out by this? What's the point of spending time and resources on character creation on a game that is primarily a first person game? You can find tons of comments, and i mean tons of comments defending CDPR's claim that "It's more immersive this way" and just repeating the same thing like "Yeah broooo first person is da best fuck 3rd person bruv!!" or, the more sOpHiStIcAtEd fans "You see, this is brilliant! In real life you don't see yourself walking with a drone flying behind you, so it makes perfect sense for god-almighty CDPR to put it in first person view, so iMmErSiVe!! Ohhhh i just jizzed in my pants, better suck it all up!"

"But you'll see it in cutscenes!!" That's even stupider because if the game is going switch in and out of perspectives, it's not gonna stay very "immersive" now is it? We don't just randomly look at ourselves when you're talking to someone do we? Then what the fuck was all that talk about immersion and camera? The fuck man? How did these people play through  Witcher 3 then? By their own logic it should be the most unrealistic shit ever cause there is no first person (The dude also talks like his throat is full of glass but that's a different topic).

Hell even Bethesda can do a first person/third person toggle, you're telling me the lord and savior CDPR can't do it? It's just so obvious that they didn't want to make animations for two different camera modes so they were like "Fuck it man, we'll just skip the harder one and come up with some shit, we know people are gonna eat that shit up!". It's like talking about essential oils to hipsters, expect a lot of eaten up shit and it works every. fucking. time.

Overall, what the fuck CDPR? Lmfao

19 minutes ago, Mr.Otaku said:
Spoiler

What i don't understand is, why is there a character creation system in this game when it's a first person game? Like, am i the only one kinda wielded out by this? What's the point of spending time and resources on character creation on a game that is primarily a first person game? You can find tons of comments, and i mean tons of comments defending CDPR's claim that "It's more immersive this way" and just repeating the same thing like "Yeah broooo first person is da best fuck 3rd person bruv!!" or, the more sOpHiStIcAtEd fans "You see, this is brilliant! In real life you don't see yourself walking with a drone flying behind you, so it makes perfect sense for god-almighty CDPR to put it in first person view, so iMmErSiVe!! Ohhhh i just jizzed in my pants, better suck it all up!"

"But you'll see it in cutscenes!!" That's even stupider because if the game is going switch in and out of perspectives, it's not gonna stay very "immersive" now is it? We don't just randomly look at ourselves when you're talking to someone do we? Then what the fuck was all that talk about immersion and camera? The fuck man? How did these people play through  Witcher 3 then? By their own logic it should be the most unrealistic shit ever cause there is no first person (The dude also talks like his throat is full of glass but that's a different topic).

Hell even Bethesda can do a first person/third person toggle, you're telling me the lord and savior CDPR can't do it? It's just so obvious that they didn't want to make animations for two different camera modes so they were like "Fuck it man, we'll just skip the harder one and come up with some shit, we know people are gonna eat that shit up!". It's like talking about essential oils to hipsters, expect a lot of eaten up shit and it works every. fucking. time.

you are not the only one :classic_wink:

46 minutes ago, winny257 said:

you are not the only one :classic_wink:

Yeah i've seen it already. It's just crazy to think how much cognitive dissonance people can have sometimes. I mean, fuck being fair amirite? My problem isn't necessarily because it's a first person game. Far Cry games are fucking awesome and they're entirely first person, difference is, unlike CDPR they don't make any excuses and come up with some bullshit like "It's more immersive and it gives our games a better feel" or some other shit like that.

Either go 100% first person, or 100% third person. If you gotta make a toggle system, commit to it 100% as well. But don't put in this half-assed "only in cutscenes and mirrors" shit and then play it off as artistic or immersive, it just feels stupid, and it is stupid.

21 hours ago, Mr.Otaku said:

What i don't understand is, why is there a character creation system in this game when it's a first person game? Like, am i the only one kinda weirded out by this? What's the point of spending time and resources on character creation on a game that is primarily a first person game? You can find tons of comments, and i mean tons of comments defending CDPR's claim that "It's more immersive this way" and just repeating the same thing like "Yeah broooo first person is da best fuck 3rd person bruv!!" or, the more sOpHiStIcAtEd fans "You see, this is brilliant! In real life you don't see yourself walking with a drone flying behind you, so it makes perfect sense for god-almighty CDPR to put it in first person view, so iMmErSiVe!! Ohhhh i just jizzed in my pants, better suck it all up!"

Because all of the sex scenes and cutscenes are 3rd person.

23 hours ago, Mr.Otaku said:

What i don't understand is, why is there a character creation system in this game when it's a first person game?

Yeah I was interested in this game until I heard it would be First Person gameplay only. I only really care for FP in a game like the original DOOM where the whole thing just revolves around "Plot? what plot? These assholes are baddies and you shoot the shit out of them, there is your plot." Once any sort of RPG elements get throw in I want nothing to do with first person perspective. Even Skyrim and Fallout 4 things have to get extremely hectic while only be solvable with a perfect aim before I'll reluctantly switch to first person.

Bah, that news really bums me out.

48 minutes ago, MrEsturk said:

Fallout 4 things have to get extremely hectic while only be solvable with a perfect aim before I'll reluctantly switch to first person.

You and me both. I'll switch into the first person if i'm doing some long range sniping on a big ass super mutant base or trying to arrow a giant from a mountain top where he can't reach me, though with TK Dodge i've been mixing things up a bit. But yeah, when i first heard that it was gonna be a first person only i instantly lost most of my excitement for the game. Why would i wanna grind through a quest to get a special outfit if all i ever see are the hands? Or why would i put in any amount of time in the character creation page if i only get to see them in cutscenes? Isn't it more abrupt to cut away from first person into third person every time you talk to someone? I can only imagine how jarring that must get after few hours.

2 hours ago, 27X said:

Because all of the sex scenes and cutscenes are 3rd person.

Why only those? If they wanted to make a first person game, why not commit to it 100%? What's the point of abrupt cutaways? It'll just ruin the whole pace and feeling. Imagine playing F1 and all of a sudden when you enter the pits it switches to chase cam from the cockpit cam, it makes no sense.

31 minutes ago, Mr.Otaku said:

Why only those? If they wanted to make a first person game, why not commit to it 100%? What's the point of abrupt cutaways? It'll just ruin the whole pace and feeling. Imagine playing F1 and all of a sudden when you enter the pits it switches to chase cam from the cockpit cam, it makes no sense.

The ESRB is not going to commit to a first person sex scene on an M rated game, the same way killing people is fine, killing innocent people you've trapped in a jail with a rusty knife and torturing them is not.

53 minutes ago, 27X said:

The ESRB is not going to commit to a first person sex scene on an M rated game, the same way killing people is fine, killing innocent people you've trapped in a jail with a rusty knife and torturing them is not.

So you're telling me just because of those small things in the game, CDPR decided to just not add a toggle between first person and third person modes? That's not very transparent of them because they said that it's for "immersion and up and close gameplay". And i'm not sure the game will have actual genital showing sex scenes because then it'll an A rated game regardless of what the rest of it has to offer.

That's not what I'm saying at all.

Your question was why make a character, there's three specific reasons why; world interaction, scene interaction and the skill integration scheme CDPR chose. This is not Skyrim with shiny metal buildings and neon decor. Different goals, different thematics and completely different underlying set of systems governing play-space.

Animated junk can be added as optional DLC and there is exactly jack the ESRB or EUGC can do about it, which is what creative assembly has been doing for about decade to get their games rated T and than add M rated violence about 6 months later, and CDPR is rather aware of this paradigm.

12 minutes ago, 27X said:

That's not what I'm saying at all.

Okay, i misunderstood then.

12 minutes ago, 27X said:

world interaction, scene interaction and the skill integration scheme CDPR chose.

But what's the point in putting character creation in there as a deciding factor? Is selecting a certain type of nose or skin color for example gonna change the way the game proceeds? Little differences? If so then why aren't we allowed to at least zoom out and look at the character we create? There's no point of a character creation in a game that doesn't have third person on will option because then it's just a useless feature the company spent resources on.

It made sense to grind through quests in Witcher 3 to unlock a certain armor because when i put it on the protagonist i can at least take a moment and look at it as he walks, but here? Who cares? Cutscenes barely last a minute or two, unless they repeat what they did in Witcher 3 with over 5 minutes of cutscenes... yikes. lmao

They've already flatly stated there are characters who will treat you different based on your race, age, and sex, and to avoid polygon or eurogamer throwing a screechbeast hissy fit they've said pretty much nothing else about it as the implications are pretty obvious, given that Pondsmith has not been even kind of shy about these kind of tensions, story hooks and problems to rp through in the base game.

Secondly, as of the current build, there's a mod station in your apartment that lets you modify your shit at any time provided you have the augs and the right installation protocols.

As stated this is about as far from a bethesda world build as you can get.

25 minutes ago, 27X said:

They've already flatly stated there are characters who will treat you different based on your race, age, and sex, and to avoid polygon or eurogamer throwing a screechbeast hissy fit they've said pretty much nothing else about it as the implications are pretty obvious, given that Pondsmith has not been even kind of shy about these kind of tensions, story hooks and problems to rp through in the base game.

Secondly, as of the current build, there's a mod station in your apartment that lets you modify your shit at any time provided you have the augs and the right installation protocols.

As stated this about as far from a bethesda world build as you can get.

Okay, i must've missed that part, i haven't been following this game that frequently ever since i heard of the camera perspective stuff to be honest. But still, this is not a good system to only have your character displayed in certain areas when there is an extensive character creation system. I mean, okay, certain things will go differently if i pick certain stuff, but that's not enough motivation to go through all the possible combination because there will always be a disconnect.

Games like Far Cry have the right idea when it comes to character perspective and interaction. If the player can't see it or freely interact with it on the spot, don't bother with it. Fast travelling or driving to the house to look at the character and make changes if the player has augmentation upgrades available is nowhere near encouraging enough to demand such an extensive character customising options. It's just a waste.

I don't have a problem either way, and so don't have a dog in the fight. These are the reasons they've given, and only having the product in your hands will prove whether that's the right decision or not.

50 minutes ago, 27X said:

I don't have a problem either way, and so don't have a dog in the fight. These are the reasons they've given, and only having the product in your hands will prove whether that's the right decision or not.

Fair enough i guess. I was just giving my take on it and why i personally believe that the decision they made is stupid. Just so you know though, fighting online is the last thing on my mind lol

• 3 months later...
On 5/28/2019 at 4:38 PM, 27X said:

Good arguments in overall but they are collapsed to a non-existent thesis now,as CDP just abandoned all the 3P camera cutscenes from CP 2077. It makes MC creation irrelevant now and many more abandoned visual direction for the town and story. CDP scared of SJW fascism nowadays but they don't forget to hype their game more and more for gaining pre-ordered money with "immersion" statements.    ?

6 hours ago, RomeoZero said:

Good arguments in overall but they are collapsed to a non-existent thesis now,as CDP just abandoned all the 3P camera cutscenes from CP 2077. It makes MC creation irrelevant now and many more abandoned visual direction for the town and story. CDP scared of SJW fascism nowadays but they don't forget to hype their game more and more for gaining pre-ordered money with "immersion" statements.    ?

Except every mirror and glass surface in the game works with both fake and real bounce lighting. CDPR also never promised 3p scenes to begin with, if you inferred that, you did it yourself from marketing movies, which are about the same vein as the Prey marketing movies. Being as A I work in the industry and B am not allowed within 50 feet of marketing for their own protection, I have no such illusions.

Also literal lol at a company being funded as an actual national enterprise saying yeah that thing we did and is being preordered in record numbers is going to be downgraded and not what marketing expectations hinted it MIGHT be. Never going to happen. Ever. The only time that's ever happened is under the watch of John Carmack and Shigeru Miyamoto, neither of whom have or ever will work for CDPR, and are considered essentially untouchable even by modern screech bait journalism except for literal rag-rags like Jezebel or Dual Shockers that exist solely for click bait.

Not only do I have no such illusions; CDPR's objectively worst area of expertise has continually and currently is animation, and this game will be no different. I'm still going to buy it because of the setting and CDPR's story track record. Anyone whom has or had expectations of this becoming ray-traced Aether Suite + Sexmod is in literal denial and prolly needs to masturbate continuously non-stop for about a week and then watch the vidyas again to get the right perspective cause anime-tion ~kawaii uguuu~ neon and chrome wonderland doesn't live in this castle or even the castle next door or even anywhere near this zip code.

Just like MK11, the onus of expression and kinaesthics is contained in the head area and the rest is going to be serviceable at best.

2 hours ago, 27X said:

Except every mirror and glass surface in the game works with both fake and real bounce lighting. CDPR also never promised 3p scenes to begin with, if you inferred that, you did it yourself from marketing movies, which are about the same vein as the Prey marketing movies. Being as A I work in the industry and B am not allowed within 50 feet of marketing for their own protection, I have no such illusions.

It is understandable,though, there was already a debate about 1P\3P view versions after the 48 demo gameplay. CP2077 dev team explained in their interviews, considering the camera mechanics, their game is in 1P view but the cut-scenes and dialog is gonna be directed in 3P view. For the customers who like 3P over 1P view - it will be a pleasing compromise mechanics in this game project. That players will "see" their created MC with the full customization that brings creation menu: Techwear,outfits,tattoos, cool body augmentations and romances.
I'm from those people, that always loved both variants of such choice in any game. I have seen their interviews about the camera, that was the most asked question from streams and CP2077 forum.Cause that is literally the catalyst of "pre-order\buy" rule for specific consumers.Of course I'm gonna buy CP2077 on 04.2020,at least I though i'm gonna enjoy it in 3P variant when I'll create my corporate 9 "Major". But when CPR aggressively market the 'pre~order mod" in any possible way to gain overdrive HYPE sales for the game.... and when pre-orders beat the W3 pre-orders, the devs points out that the game is 1P only. A coincidence ? .....
I'm interested in opinion where this is not considered as a "false advertisement" for consumers after all those words from the dev team. At least,now I'm gonna wait till the game out for a week after the release. Gonna use "subject to change" politics if its worth my investments after all.I considered them one of the best Polish devs, but #EA syndrome is a bad disease indeed.       

9 hours ago, RomeoZero said:

pre~order mod" in any possible way to gain overdrive HYPE sales for the game.... and when pre-orders beat the W3 pre-orders, the devs points out that the game is 1P only. A coincidence ? .....

Again, that's entirely on you, and in this case I mean literally you and anyone else. The cinematic lead said straight up that almost every cutscene will be 1pp so it can be interrupted by the player at any time. When Placide is trying to walk back fucking you over to Netwatch you can literally whip out your heater and ventilate him and Brigitte right then and there and fuck any dialog they have about it being anything you give a shit about, or any other mission they would offer you, they fucked you and you killed them right then and there, the end.

The community lead said three months ago 3p is a back burner option at best and would only happen if they had time before shipping. They never promised 3p as a hardened feature. Ever. Point of fact is three people in the company stated the opposite including the guy who is doing all the damn cutscenes including sex. fact. He stated this months ago.

Your dmanxxx conspiracy level conjecture is just that, conjecture. Is it shitty marketing? It sure is. Should 3p be in the game? Yeah it should. But they never promised it would definitely be a thing since day one. When a video disclaimer says >ALL FEATURES< subject to change, that's there for legal reasons, reasons just like this. It's a shitty decision, but it's not sjw conspiracy nor is it walking back anything.

The real easy solution is don't buy the game. I didn't play w3 or even Skyrim until ALL of the DLC was available, bugfixed and integrated into the game, and this game will be no different. I'll be buying it, but by the time I bother actually playing it, the game will be a different beast than when it launched, and maybe your expectations need to be reigned in to a more realistic level. Name a AAA game made in the last decade that hit every bullet point they made completely out of the park on day one.

CP2077 won't have any 3rd person perspectives unless its a cut scene or in inventory mode.  They promised mirrors and window reflections and that's not happening.  Not that it matters for me; CDPR's recent terminal diagnosis of woke pandering killed my interest in the game.  Not buying it and seriously FUCK THEM for knuckling under to people who don't buy or play games.  They went full-on EA-level Libtard.  I hope the game tanks. :classic_smile:

2 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

CP2077 won't have any 3rd person perspectives unless its a cut scene or in inventory mode.  They promised mirrors and window reflections and that's not happening.  Not that it matters for me; CDPR's recent terminal diagnosis of woke pandering killed my interest in the game.  Not buying it and seriously FUCK THEM for knuckling under to people who don't buy or play games.  They went full-on EA-level Libtard.  I hope the game tanks. :classic_smile:

I wouldn't diagnose that as Terminal Wokeness so much as it is a step back in character customization, taking things back to the gender non-specificity of The Boss from Saints Row 2-4 where gender was a mere preset. I personally prefer to have player characters referred to by their chosen gender (including fantasy genders)rather than just being called by gender neutral pronouns but I wouldn't consider that to be a deal breaker. It is a sigh that they may yet engage in deal breaking conduct but that threshold has yet to be reached for me probably because the only thing that I expect from this game is a decently written 30 or so hour narrative with a decent amount of re-playability on par with something like Deus Ex which itself I never saw as the gold standard of narrative heavy video games.

5 hours ago, 27X said:

t's a shitty decision, but it's not sjw conspiracy nor is it walking back anything.

No, I dont think of a conspiracy, rather, a scared small Polish company don't want to be buried under SJW wrath now,they embrace SJW agenda, both in company politics and their hired personal. Just look at all the game companies with "ethic departments" doing surgery performance.But sad latest news show SJW even can kill people online without a trial and consequences. A Minority controlling the Majority in industry is now, in 2k19. Kinda absurdly. 
CPR stated that their gonna use a non-binary system creating MC, you can be what you want in the game and in any body form but apparently genderfluid ?sexual does not fit animation framework of 3P camera. My theory is - CDPR is too poor for buying mo-cap animations and hire a Cinematographer for that matter, right ? Probably it was for online elements also, so they dropped all the animations considered the camera work pipeline to benefit "immersion system" and date for investors. ? 

I'm a man with specific tastes, kinda ignore genres that not interest me.Even if the project itself is good and popular, its hard to present an example of what I kept a track on a AAA game development process but the industry lie started from 2010. Before that dev teams were pretty honest and made a lot of incredible elements in their game engine capabilities. Many youtubers shown that in video examples like Crowbcat channel and more.

7 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

All they had to do was add a 3rd gender option to shut the SJWs up.  Instead of doing that they nuked genders altogether.  If CDPR is willing to do that then they're willing to slip in woke politics and postmodernist social engineering too.  People play games to be entertained, not to get a lecture.  Bioware tried it and it cost them.  Dice did it too and they got hammered.  CDPR deserves all the shit they are going to get when they release the game next year.  And in the current climate of gamers not accepting jank and bullshit (like FO76) CDPR is gonna get hit hard.  CP2077 might be the next Anthem; 7 years of development and the game is total shit. *shrug* Not my problem/not buying it/zero fucks given to what happens to them.

And I was hyped for this game and I took a lot of shit for that here and elsewhere.  Done with the whole fiasco.

Once again wrong, big surprise. Gender options and everything associated with them are still in game and NPCs still react to you based on them; you can simply turn them off if you want.

Your MAGA hat's a little too tight.

Sure thing twinkle-douche.

https://thenextweb.com/gaming/2019/08/27/cyberpunk-2077s-character-creation-system-wont-have-gender-options/

https://primagames.com/news/cyberpunk-2077-character-creator-will-not-include-male-or-female-genders

Note the sources and tone of the articles.

And as of yesterday, same thing.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077s-character-creator-lets-you-play-as/1100-6469446/

Also fans are defending the no gender thing because somehow they've convinced themselves it's in the 'lore'.  And it's not.  I played CP2020 and transhumanism is part of the lore, woke 2019 transgender activism isn't.