New CPU

skawars1983

Skylake i5 series. Still the all-around for now. Although by default it requires DDR4, some motherboards made around this processor also have DDR3 support, if you want to keep your memory kits.

If you can afford to be patient, come around March and April Ryzen will be rolled out. Hopefully cheaper but faster than a high-end i7.

@OP:

I'd like to have an integrated GPU as a backup, so Ryzen isn't something I'd consider buying, but if you don't care about that you'd better wait for Ryzen, otherwise an i5/i7 Kabylake is what should get, as it's currently the most up-to-date platform. Keep in mind that you will need a new motherboard and new DDR4 memory for both the new AMD and the new Intel CPUs.

If you just want to upgrade the CPU and stay with your current system, it's really not worth getting an AMD CPU (e.g. FX-8350) unless it's a cheap, secondhand one.

those motherless motherfuckers at newegg sold

me a "Holiday Deal" i7-6700k for $10 less than 

what those penny-pinching lying! cucks sell

an i7-7700k kabylake for- yeah wait till ryzen.

i read i7kaby has big temperature problems

You guys know that Kabylake is a Skylake refresh right?

I was thinking im probably going to press

on newegg to accept a full refund/return

for my i7-6700k (which is unused/new still in the clamshell, I just

lifted the intel seal to look at whats in

the box itself) like i said bought 

"cyber monday deal" for $10! less! than

what an i7 kaby goes for right fuckin now

at launch- but im weighing if the .2 ghz 

is worth a hotter cpu that spikes a lot.

i probably may not bc id like to have a 

chill cpu

I recommend waiting for Ryzen, you never know what AMD can surprise you with.

Well I wouldn't go as far as to say "surprise" because remember we all thought the R9 300s GPUs from AMD were going to be amazing then they came out 2 weeks after the 980 Ti and proved to be no better than a regular 980 at top tier. At the time too, Nvidia announced Pascal 1000 series, which proved to be even faster then AMDs "newest GPUs".

What im saying is I wouldn't have high expectations for AMD right now because in the past they haven't proved themselves.

Honestly getting an Intel Skylake would be a no brainer right now :/

tbh,  before throwing i7 and blah.. skawars1983 should post what he's lookin' for, ultra kawaii hd 4k gaming, office mixed with some gaming, high graphic games,

online, offline etc.

I wrote a great reply and accidentally erased it.

Now I have to remember everything

1. Thanks for the word "Kawaii", which I thought was a japanese stereo-3d latest thing.

2. (um, no one asked but they did studies and found, tweaking games to the max shows little improvement from modern-cheap to modern-expensive.

(Then I made a joke about virtually buying everything and lying about in forums, and the editor got all pissed)

post-392535-0-06178400-1484843019_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The best thing to do should be to wait the AMD RYZEN (a little more powerful than i7 6900k) on March the 1st,

but the price most probably is more than 750 USD and you have to replace the motherboard too, one of these:

ASRock X370 Gaming K4, ASRock AB350 Gaming K4

ASUS B350M-C

Biostar X350GT5, Biostar X350GT3

GIGABYTE AB350-Gaming 3

MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium, MSI B350 Tomahawk

Ignore the i7 cpus and go for the i5-7600 wich is arround 240$ and its better than most i7 in terms of gaming.

why? i'd understand the same (as the gpu does most the heavy lifting in games) but saying the i5 better than i7 doesn't make obvious logical sense, could you elaborate please (assume gonna have something to do with cycle speeds but would like better explaination)

pinky6225 I will try to explain the best i can since English is not my main language :P

Basicly you want 2 things in your CPU in terms of gaming. 1: core power (clock speed), and 2: layer cache (there are 3 type of layers, considering layer 3 is the cheapest one and the CPU's have more quantity to layer 1 wich has low quantity and its expensive to put in them), and im excluding specific instructions inside them since we are talking about the same family of CPU's.

Now in terms of layer cache they are basicly the same excluding the top 2 I7's wich has a bit more cache layer 3 but the are extremelly expensive, so we got raw power left on the CPUs.

The more clock speed you have, the better they are for gaming and you can also exclude the multi-treading part since 99.99% of the games only use one tread from the CPU.

In conclusion you can check about the current CPU's available and see that the I5-7600 has huge raw power and its about a quarter of the price of an equivalent i7 in terms of gaming performance.

Oh and its might not make a bit of sense but games also push for the CPU's and in this case Skyrim is almost a perfect exemple of that when you mod it heavily.

On the side note i didnt say that the I5 is better than all I7's, its simply better than most of them (not all ofc) and its comes with a very accessible price, so definetly its the best upgrade you can have for its price unless you dont know what to do with your money and have growing trees full of "uncle sams" then sure, you can buy the I7 with no worries :)

ahhh yeah your right.... tottaly forgot the 6700 :P

ignore the 7600 one, My bad XD

Its been awile since ive catch up with the "latest" stuff ( work doesnt permit it much)

The 'i5 is more betterer' argument has run its course, aaaand as this a bethesda gaming site largely, the elephant in the room is the i7 produces a significant upgrade over the i5 specifically in every game bethesda has made since Oblivion, that is a fact, not an opinion, the caveat being whether said upgrade is worth the price increase.

The i5 had a great almost decade long run, but that run ended with dx11.42 and doesn't exist at all in a dx12 environment.

Further, a substantial number of crunch hungry mods run better on an i7 than they do the i5, unless the OC disparity between the two is massive.

That said, waiting for Ryzen and the fallout thereafter is by far the smartest choice.

Also the main bottleneck in Gamebryo games is memory speed, not processor throughput, and the biggest raw framerate gains will be seen there.

The 'i5 is more betterer' argument has run its course, aaaand as this a bethesda gaming site largely, the elephant in the room is the i7 produces a significant upgrade over the i5 specifically in every game bethesda has made since Oblivion, that is a fact, not an opinion, the caveat being whether said upgrade is worth the price increase.

The i5 had a great almost decade long run, but than run ended with dx11.42 and doesn't exist at all in a dx12 environment.

Further, a substantial number of crunch hungry mods run better on an i7 than they do the i5, unless the OC disparity between the two is massive.

That said, waiting for Ryzen and the fallout thereafter is by far the smartest choice.

Also the main bottleneck in Gamebryo games is memory speed, not processor throughput, and the biggest raw framerate gains will be seen there.

Best is to w8 for the Rizen yes, that a good choice since prices will drop for sure.

And about what you have said about the "fact", considering the cpu with the highest clock (of the same family ofc) and best cache also wins in terms of performance.

the I7 will really make a huge difference over the I5 is when the games will start to support multi-treading hence the I7 takes a huge advantage (flight simulator is a perfect exemple of that), and you have to take account the performance\price part wich for many people is also very important.

Having a I5 and a I7 with same clock, same cache and same instructions the performance will be the same making only its price the difference, thats why i say sometimes the I5 is the best choice, but thats just my 2cents, it all comes down to what you can spend building a rig :)

Peace and love XD

I recently updated mine from an AMD Phenom II x4 965 to an AMD FX 8350 and have no regrets. Not really sure what the best option could be for your money in the CPU department, but I'm MUCH happier with the one I picked. You might need to update your bios though, depending on how old your board is, at least that's what I had to do.

pinky6225 I will try to explain the best i can since English is not my main language :P

Basicly you want 2 things in your CPU in terms of gaming. 1: core power (clock speed), and 2: layer cache (there are 3 type of layers, considering layer 3 is the cheapest one and the CPU's have more quantity to layer 1 wich has low quantity and its expensive to put in them), and im excluding specific instructions inside them since we are talking about the same family of CPU's.

Now in terms of layer cache they are basicly the same excluding the top 2 I7's wich has a bit more cache layer 3 but the are extremelly expensive, so we got raw power left on the CPUs.

The more clock speed you have, the better they are for gaming and you can also exclude the multi-treading part since 99.99% of the games only use one tread from the CPU.

In conclusion you can check about the current CPU's available and see that the I5-7600 has huge raw power and its about a quarter of the price of an equivalent i7 in terms of gaming performance.

Oh and its might not make a bit of sense but games also push for the CPU's and in this case Skyrim is almost a perfect exemple of that when you mod it heavily.

On the side note i didnt say that the I5 is better than all I7's, its simply better than most of them (not all ofc) and its comes with a very accessible price, so definetly its the best upgrade you can have for its price unless you dont know what to do with your money and have growing trees full of "uncle sams" then sure, you can buy the I7 with no worries :)

To be honest when i was getting the stuff for my last upgrade (which was awhile ago) i did go for higher I = better so i went for Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz Haswell 22nm Technology which is the older socket and i was wanting to future proof it for a while and there was a good motherboard/cpu bundle on overclockers.com so the overall build price didn't change much, i was going to suggest perhaps going for a i7 of the previous socket but it doesn't seem they have dropped in price after a quick google (kinda expected them to have with the socket 1151 being out for for so long) and i can only seem to find stuff about level 3 cache was curious about mine but the intel page just mentions Cache 8 MB SmartCache

Thank you for the explaintion

To be honest when i was getting the stuff for my last upgrade (which was awhile ago) i did go for higher I = better so i went for Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz Haswell 22nm Technology which is the older socket and i was wanting to future proof it for a while and there was a good motherboard/cpu bundle on overclockers.com so the overall build price didn't change much, i was going to suggest perhaps going for a i7 of the previous socket but it doesn't seem they have dropped in price after a quick google (kinda expected them to have with the socket 1151 being out for for so long) and i can only seem to find stuff about level 3 cache was curious about mine but the intel page just mentions Cache 8 MB SmartCache

Thank you for the explaintion

No problem :)

And if your happy with the CPU that you bought than its all that matters :)

Archived