[WIP] Traps, Pitfalls and Dangerous Things

This Idea has great potential. Maybe you can integrate an old abandoned Mod called "Devious Traps". I think both Ideas combine very nice.

Its a real shame they abandoned that mod. It was looking really good, but I know how much work would be involved placing new traps etc in to all the dungeons in Skyrim...which is one reason why I'm going the random route with this mod.

I want to add traps, I've just got to think about how those traps will work. Should they be inescapable i.e. they just trigger at random (not the best way in my opinion for traps - but easy to do!) or try to some how place them into the dungeons through programming which is possibly impossible to do with any meaningful accuracy.

I guess another way is make them random but with a Quick Time kind of interaction to escape them (similar to the tumbler puzzle on my Devious Surrender mod) or maybe there is a way to trigger a lock pick event?

I shall be giving this some serious thought!

Its a real shame they abandoned that mod. It was looking really good, but I know how much work would be involved placing new traps etc in to all the dungeons in Skyrim...which is one reason why I'm going the random route with this mod.

As far I can remember, there was the Idea of changing existing Traps. But I think the expanding work of placeing the Traps by hand was the dead end of that promising Mod.

I want to add traps, I've just got to think about how those traps will work. Should they be inescapable i.e. they just trigger at random (not the best way in my opinion for traps - but easy to do!) or try to some how place them into the dungeons through programming which is possibly impossible to do with any meaningful accuracy.

If you are going to make them inevitable you will have a lot of work with the balancing. WAIT! There is a way to place Traps automatically/by programming??  :o  If it's what I think, then forget about accuracy, just put some more to ensure some lucky hits. About the misplaced Traps: Just imagine the :blink: -faces of the players when discovering a Trap on a very high ceiling :lol:

I guess another way is make them random but with a Quick Time kind of interaction to escape them (similar to the tumbler puzzle on my Devious Surrender mod) or maybe there is a way to trigger a lock pick event?

Sounds great. Isn't the lock pick event triggered by keywords? Think I've seen it working at ZAZ Extension Pack. (This could also be a good Idea for the general Devious Devices: Lock pick event as escape posibility but with the potential to jam the Lock when a pick breaks.)

As far I can remember, there was the Idea of changing existing Traps. But I think the expanding work of placeing the Traps by hand was the dead end of that promising Mod.

If you are going to make them inevitable you will have a lot of work with the balancing. WAIT! There is a way to place Traps automatically/by programming??  :o  If it's what I think, then forget about accuracy, just put some more to ensure some lucky hits. About the misplaced Traps: Just imagine the :blink: -faces of the players when discovering a Trap on a very high ceiling :lol:

Sounds great. Isn't the lock pick event triggered by keywords? Think I've seen it working at ZAZ Extension Pack. (This could also be a good Idea for the general Devious Devices: Lock pick event as escape posibility but with the potential to jam the Lock when a pick breaks.)

Well, I'm assuming traps are pre-built mechanisms which are spawnable. It's quite possible they aren't, but even if they were you'd have a very difficult time trying to position one by code so it would actually work. In fact, I'd say it would be impossible to do it without manually placing markers or something within the dungeon itself, which would defeat the purpose anyway :)

The only trap that you could reliably create would be the bear trap as its a self contained object, but even then you'd need to spawn it in a position where the player is likely to walk through which again is tricky stuff to do.

My current idea is to do it randomly where you tread on a hidden bear trap (which magically appears once you've set it off). Instead of just doing damage it locks you in place and you have to lock pick it to get free. Failing to lock pick successfully results in the trap setter coming back to see what they've caught :)

There is also the posibility of spawning the trap trigger stones just in front of the player. If they're moving quick you probably wouldn't see it before you activated it while sneaking would give you a bit more time to see it and avoid it. Depends what is possible. 

In any event balance would be key.

Well, I'm assuming traps are pre-built mechanisms which are spawnable. It's quite possible they aren't, but even if they were you'd have a very difficult time trying to position one by code so it would actually work. In fact, I'd say it would be impossible to do it without manually placing markers or something within the dungeon itself, which would defeat the purpose anyway :)

The only trap that you could reliably create would be the bear trap as its a self contained object, but even then you'd need to spawn it in a position where the player is likely to walk through which again is tricky stuff to do.

My current idea is to do it randomly where you tread on a hidden bear trap (which magically appears once you've set it off). Instead of just doing damage it locks you in place and you have to lock pick it to get free. Failing to lock pick successfully results in the trap setter coming back to see what they've caught :)

There is also the posibility of spawning the trap trigger stones just in front of the player. If they're moving quick you probably wouldn't see it before you activated it while sneaking would give you a bit more time to see it and avoid it. Depends what is possible. 

In any event balance would be key.

I don't know if this is even possible in Skyrim, but in Warcraft 3 days, you could achieve similar thing by creating a NPC which is invisible and does not collide with anything else but terrain, tell him to go from point A to point B, in this case start of the dungeon to end of the dungeon and every N seconds roll a dice and spawn a trap of some kind under the NPC, when the NPC reaches the end, delete him. He would have to be a lot faster than the player, quickly run through the whole thing leaving random traps behind for player to run into. By letting the AI to figure out how to get from point A to point B and making the NPC roughly the size of the player, you can be sure  that if you spawn something under him, it will be in a location reachable by player.

This Idea has great potential. Maybe you can integrate an old abandoned Mod called "Devious Traps". I think both Ideas combine very nice.

One of the big draw points for that mod was it made the player pay attention and added depth to the game to remain unbound. Wasn't RNG like Cursed loot. Expanding on where that mod left off seems like the next logical step.smile.png

One of the big draw points for that mod was it made the player pay attention and added depth to the game to remain unbound. Wasn't RNG like Cursed loot. Expanding on where that mod left off seems like the next logical step.smile.png

That old jewel of a mod is still one of my all time favourites. I always have it installed and it still catches me off guard now and then. Since there are only a few dungeons modified, it's easy to forget about it and BAM, it got you again.

If someone would pick up this kind of trap functionality, I would indeed be a very happy camper. The concept of very well hidden traps that CAN be spotted and disabled if you are careful is fantastic. Sadly, it's also very hard work to implement in the way it was in Devious Traps. It would be great if someone could figure out how to spawn this kind of trap randomly, but I think this might just border on impossible... :(

I don't know if this is even possible in Skyrim, but in Warcraft 3 days, you could achieve similar thing by creating a NPC which is invisible and does not collide with anything else but terrain, tell him to go from point A to point B, in this case start of the dungeon to end of the dungeon and every N seconds roll a dice and spawn a trap of some kind under the NPC, when the NPC reaches the end, delete him. He would have to be a lot faster than the player, quickly run through the whole thing leaving random traps behind for player to run into. By letting the AI to figure out how to get from point A to point B and making the NPC roughly the size of the player, you can be sure  that if you spawn something under him, it will be in a location reachable by player.

Oh yes! That is very possible :) Great bit of thinking there! I think this would work as long as I can detect the exit point of a dungeon.

It wouldn't be able to create traps like swing spikes or anything like that, but you'd definitely be able to place pressure plates, trigger stones, runes etc. The question would then be can I attach a script or something to the created item to trigger something devious?

Gonna have to do some research into that. 

I think we might have a solution to do it, more or les

That old jewel of a mod is still one of my all time favourites. I always have it installed and it still catches me off guard now and then. Since there are only a few dungeons modified, it's easy to forget about it and BAM, it got you again.

If someone would pick up this kind of trap functionality, I would indeed be a very happy camper. The concept of very well hidden traps that CAN be spotted and disabled if you are careful is fantastic. Sadly, it's also very hard work to implement in the way it was in Devious Traps. It would be great if someone could figure out how to spawn this kind of trap randomly, but I think this might just border on impossible... :(

I think we can get close using the solution above. The pathing of the NPC would at least guarantee you are creating trap triggers in sensible locations. I'm not sure how to find a dungeon exit though, but I know you can find things like "Boss Chests" etc which are usually near the end of a dungeon level.

Well, in that case you'll be my hero! It'll be like christmas and birthday combined in one neat little mod package! Do let us know what your research turns up! :shy:

I shall be giving it a test a bit later today, hopefully. 

Oh yes! That is very possible :) Great bit of thinking there! I think this would work as long as I can detect the exit point of a dungeon.

It wouldn't be able to create traps like swing spikes or anything like that, but you'd definitely be able to place pressure plates, trigger stones, runes etc. The question would then be can I attach a script or something to the created item to trigger something devious?

Gonna have to do some research into that.

A lot of dungeons have the dragon word wall things, ornate chests and that kind of stuff, usually there is only one of them per dungeon and they are towards the end as well. But I have a feeling that there isn't dungeon.getRewardChestRef() function :D

However even in the worst case, you would only need to place start and stop marker in each dungeon instead of creating all the traps manually.

A lot of dungeons have the dragon word wall things, ornate chests and that kind of stuff, usually there is only one of them per dungeon and they are towards the end as well. But I have a feeling that there isn't dungeon.getRewardChestRef() function :D

However even in the worst case, you would only need to place start and stop marker in each dungeon instead of creating all the traps manually.

Ah yes, the word wall. I know there is a "Boss Chest" as well so I think there should be enough things to look for to get a good path through the majority of any dungeon.

Right then! Some good news :)

After testing the suggestion from kplh, I can confirm that their solution will work. The only downside is I would have to place a marker at the end of each level manually which would take a bit of time to do and the solution would only work for linear levels with a single exit point (most of them are though).

There may also be some issues with things like Dragon Claw gates...I'm not sure if having the AI Package set to unlock all doors works on them as well so the Trap Layer NPC (in this case a super charged skeever) would get stuck at that point until the player unlocked it, not a major issue in itself but could cause a problem where multiple traps are laid in a similar location.

I guess a few options in the MCM on the frequency and total number or traps per dungeon will allow players to configure it to their liking. I shall build a fully working test level in bleakfalls to test out the theory.

****UPDATE****

I have uploaded a new test version for those that would like to try the new Auto Trap Layer system. It's still a work in progress but the basic idea is proven to work. 

THIS TEST SYSTEM WILL CURRENTLY ONLY WORK IN FIRST PART OF BLEAKFALLS BARROW

I have added a few MCM options so you can configure the current trap system. These are the settings I recommend for testing...

Maximum Number of Traps : Anything - currently it is not used

Minimum Time Between Traps: 1 or 2 seconds

Maximum Time Between Traps: 4 or 5 seconds

Once you've set these you can click on the Trap Layer debug option to start the trap layer. This will spawn a customised Skeever who will move very quickly through the level dropping traps as he goes. You won't be able to keep up with him, but you should see notifications every time he drops a trap.

At the moment he will only drop Bear Traps, but they are fully functional so don't poke them unless you want to lose a finger!

It should be fairly simple to add other custom activators into the mix which can trigger any kind of out come from instant damage, summoning monsters, adding devious devices etc etc :)

Hey, this looks fun, wonderful, and interesting... lots of extra traps to deal with, full of critters.

But uh, I have to wonder. Why is this in the Sexlab section? Sure, it provides lots of creatures you could end up in sex with, but the mod does not actually trigger sex itself, so why is Sexlab a requirement? Just curious, not criticizing, hoping I missed something sexy.

Hey, this looks fun, wonderful, and interesting... lots of extra traps to deal with, full of critters.

But uh, I have to wonder. Why is this in the Sexlab section? Sure, it provides lots of creatures you could end up in sex with, but the mod does not actually trigger sex itself, so why is Sexlab a requirement? Just curious, not criticizing, hoping I missed something sexy.

There is no "adult" content just yet, but this mod will provide that content shortly and because I knew that was the route it would go I thought it best to set the requirements from day one. Expect devious traps and perilous situations for your character :)

I'm currently working on the very basic structure of how to add visible and avoidable traps to any dungeon in Skyrim. These will then trigger events in a similar way to Deviously Cursed Loot, but the key to these traps is that they are visible AND avoidable if you are paying attention.

Does this work with the special edition? I honestly have no idea if sexlab mods will work with it or not. Hoping they do though since its 64 bit and will crash infinitely less.

I'm afraid not, at least until something similar to SKSE comes along. :(

Once we've got a SexLab SE version then I think most mods will make the jump across.

****NEW UPDATE****

I've just uploaded a new version of the Trap Layer Test. This one should work on ANY dungeon...or in fact any where. Instead of having to place a marker at the end of every dungeon, this version finds doors in the loaded area (and I think it is only doors that teleport i.e. entrance/exit doors). It can find up to 5 unique doors and then sends the devious little trap laying Skeever to each one in turn.

This should make pretty much everywhere suitable for Automated Trap Laying by Skeever system :)

The order of the doors is chosen at random, so the Skeever may visit the entrance first and then the exit. If there are more than 2 doors then it'll path to up to 5 in a random order. This should keep things interesting with the possibility of some areas getting no traps (if there are no doors there) or some areas getting more traps due to the Skeever back tracking.

Places like castles and buildings will provide the most variation of possible routes.

Please give the Skeever a try out and let me know what you think. He still only lays Bear Traps and he is still fully visible so you can watch him do his work :)

Oh, this looks interesting. Random events? Sounds fun...

1. Creature ambush

Depending on the type of dungeon you are in a number of different ambushes can take place. This includes things like Draugr rising from the ground or spiders dropping on your head!

NOPE! Nope, nope nope nooooope!

What the purpose of this mod if you have Sot+Dcur+16x traps+deadiesdead? Sudden treasure? 

That's a good question, although I'm not sure what Sot is, but here is rundown of how this mod will differ.

The main difference is that this mod will add new traps randomly to any dungeon, it doesn't just make traps do more damage like 16x traps. This means you will never be sure whether the area you are in is safe from traps which means you're going to have to pay attention all the time.

It also currently has a random ambush system which adds new events and enemies to dungeons meaning you never really know what is going to happen. I'm not sure if I will keep the random ambush...they will almost certainly get replaced by a trap triggers so that they too are avoidable plus it also avoids ambushes happening at the wrong time such as during other scenes etc.

These traps are also triggered by physical pressure plates or other cunningly disguised items etc and so can be avoided if you are paying attention and spot them whereas Deviously Cursed Loot is random. If you the chest is trapped there is no way to disarm it or know that it is trapped before you open the chest.

My overall plan is to make the dungeons in Skyrim always challenging no matter how many times you have played through the same area.

Oh, this looks interesting. Random events? Sounds fun...

1. Creature ambush

Depending on the type of dungeon you are in a number of different ambushes can take place. This includes things like Draugr rising from the ground or spiders dropping on your head!

NOPE! Nope, nope nope nooooope!

Ha ha...not a spider fan then?

Love this concept. A cage falling on the player could make a cool trap.

Indeed, but there may be a few issues with that if it happened to trigger in a small area....definitely something that needs to be looked at, but what happens once they are inside the cage? What devious thing would happen to them?

****UPDATE****

I have now added the 1st devious trap to the trap laying system - THE DEVIOUS BEAR TRAP! The evil little Skeever will now lay these instead of the standard bear trap. Treading on one will not only cause damage but also clamp on a pair of devious boots. If you're already wearing boots then the trap will reach up higher clamping on some leg cuffs. Already wearing boots and leg cuffs? Then it will reach up higher and pierce a rather tender area of your body and bear traps are not known for being gentle!

Love this concept. A cage falling on the player could make a cool trap.

Indeed, but there may be a few issues with that if it happened to trigger in a small area....definitely something that needs to be looked at, but what happens once they are inside the cage? What devious thing would happen to them?

Whith Cursed Loot in all my devious games installed, i'd love to see some other things happen then equipping DD stuff, too. Maybe some submit/SD+ like event, getting totally bound (you can't get out of the cage before you equipped proper items). Then you have to find a way to escape.

Maybe with support for other mods, beeing sold to simply slavery for example would be a really reason to look for traps! 

A cool trap which might not be too difficult to implement:

Set up the DD "leash" effect to keep a player pinned to the spot the trap spawns, and generate a key in a randomly chosen container somewhere in the dungeon. Most likely the player will need to endure some discomfort in order to find it.