Status of FO4 scene? Almost dead?

Guest FunkyLounge

Falut4 will die once we get Skyrim remaster.

Fotm effect is slightly fading away. It will take years for Fallout4 to get to the Skyrim power-level.

Kinda sad.

People said FONV would die when Skyrim was released too and Skyrim would die when FO was released.

They are 2 different genres they really aren't competing for players

Well the main difference is that New Vegas is more like RPG and Fallou4 is not. Skyrim was more roleplay-friendly thanks to the player-driven-story.

But that kinda true, some players preffer fantasy setting, some preffer post-apo. Some like swords, other guns. I won't mention people who spent a lot of time and effort into the Skyrim and they don't really want to switch games. There are many factors, that true. Hype was the biggest one.

Imo all bethesda games are the same, its just a different colour palette.

Fotm effect is slightly fading away. It will take years for Fallout4 to get to the Skyrim power-level.

Kinda sad.

Is this a serious post or not because the remaster only affects the graphics afaik and we've had graphics mods for years on PC.

I really don't understand the hate for this game. I've played 50+ hours now and honestly it's still pretty enjoyable. I'm sure it will get stale soon but people seem to treat it like it's worse than Fallout 3 was or something....now THAT was crap.

In addition to the reasons stated by others, people are also waiting to see what will come of the DLCs and updates coming out in the near future so they know what needs to be modded in an what can merely be built upon. Some mods have already become more or less redundant or outright obsolete due to the Wasteland Workshop mods and that process might not stop until Nuka World is released. 

Guest Katherlne

I really don't understand the hate for this game. I've played 50+ hours now and honestly it's still pretty enjoyable. I'm sure it will get stale soon but people seem to treat it like it's worse than Fallout 3 was or something....now THAT was crap.

Bethesda makes a mod constructor games since F3. But someone just forget, how their games looks and playing in vanilla. Skyrim... I start moding sky after 10 hours of playing, because can't take anymore that dull looking world.

I'm not that experienced, but I'd have to agree with previous answers:

1.: The tools are still not done. CK is still in beta, MO2 is still in beta, we need tools for animations...

2.: F4SE development is severely hindered by all the patches. Imagine building a sand castle while someone swaps out the ground you're building on every 10 minutes.

3.: I'd personally only use high heels with NiOverride (now that it works in Skyrim I'm spoiled) and that's integrated in RaceMenu for Skyrim. That heavily relies on SKSE. You see where the problem is?

4.: Extreme graphics mods will come out when people actually have the GPU horsepower to pull it off. When Skyrim was released, nobody was dreaming of 4K or 8K textures with ENB. I'm running a GTX970, and I get framedrops in 1080p WITHOUT ANY MODS WHATSOEVER.

5.: A lot of mods rely on SkyUI for configuration. I don't know if the SkyUI team is working on something for Fallout 4 at all, so until there is something like MCM, mods with configurations will have to implement them differently, which could mean that it's a lot more complicated. I have seen solutions with holodisks, which looks promising.

6.: HDT Physics and custom animations will need a custom skeleton. We don't have that yet. At all.

So here's my plan for modding this game:

I'll play it vanilla until Mod Organizer 2 is out of beta and working reliably. I refuse to use NMM or Beth's built in solution because MO is just so much better. Then I'll start with armor/weapon/story mods until I have saved up for a GTX 1070 or 1080 or the new 300-350€ offering from AMD, depending on my budget. Until then I'll stay away from extremely high resolution textures and ENB mods.

All in all, I think a lot of mod users who have come from Skyrim expect too much too soon. Way too soon. I think they have no Idea how long it took for Skyrim modding to be as comfortable and easy as it is now. Remember, most people who mod this game do this for fun in their free time. They still have jobs or school and families. They don't sit there modding away 24/7 just so you can have a gatling gun that shoots dildos.

Fallout 4 is still not "done". There are patches coming out and new expansions. When that's settled, that's when modding will really take off, because then we'll have a stable base to build upon. Until then, write down mod ideas. If you have enough free time to play the game but are bored of it because you feel you need mods, learn how to make mods or go play something else or read a book, whatever. Just don't go and harass mod authors to finally make more mods or proclaim the modding scene "dead". The scene is as dead as the PC is dead, not at all, that is.

Greetings, Toastbre4d

Not surprised since it has always been the case.

In the case of female clothes etc, a lot of the contribution are from Asians and if history is to go by, they rarely touch the Fallout games and just stick to the Eldar Scrolls series.

if you look at skyrim beautification project for example and think maybe there will be something similar for FO4. what a painful and boring way to make the game look good (specially for noobs like me) SPECIALLY FOR A GAME THAT COSTS 60 $. looking on nexus IMHO everything is getting repetitive on the FO4 part of the site. i spend more time looking at skyrim files ans pics

I'm usually the guy that pulls a mod through, but with each patch and DLC, my entire mod structure broke down because things changed in the background. I've had several save-games fail on me (crashing to desktop) due to patches, after which I've learned that I'll make the first serious mod when it's all stabilised.

I'm happilly hacking away at my own preparations for a true sex slave mod and can easily work on superficial stuff, in the meantime I'm hacking away at F04Edit nearly every time I play the game and am currently running around 12 personal mods, most involving new armors, extra workbench items, and a lot of stuff in terms of renaming settlement related things to sexual matters.

So far, I have basic stuff like wireless turrets for a cleaner setllement without all the wiring (very annoying), an atomic power pilar which basically broadcasts all power to the entire settlement (so I don't have to wire stuff). I made an atomic generator, generating 1000 power, then three weeks later most if this stuff has been added in the DLC, rendering most of my work useless.

That's the reason why the big mods aren't releasing, or even being worked on, there's still some major DLC coming. And after releasing a mod, you need to maintain it, keep it up to date with each patch, it's just a nightmare right now.

But once it's stabilised (e.g. 6-12 months from now) most moddes will start work on the big mod stuff, adding animations, weapons, quest lines etc..etc.. I imagine special models for working cages (crop cages) where sex slaves will provide food, water (by peeing in a reservoir, which is filtered, producing water). Many different types of animated racks for milk production (male and female) etc..etc..etc..

Edit: People saying that the mod scene for F04 is dead need to check their heads and the kazillion pages of mods currently already available on Nexus and the Internet.

Kinda sad.

Is this a serious post or not because the remaster only affects the graphics afaik and we've had graphics mods for years on PC.

64bit means a lot of things, there are nearly no limits to the 64bit compated to 32bit.

Better performance, more mods, better stabillity etc. And graphics? They are only made for console users because they have hard limit on the megabytes for mods.

I already put a lot of hours in FO4, 70% of the time was with settlement building, and that is nice, but now i feel like i am playing the sims.

FO4 have one quest... and anyone who say "no, there is a lot of side quest blablabla" never play skyrim... Skyrim was like, i have to kill this dragon to finish the story, but before that i will become thane of all citys, i will win a civil war, i will make friends with daedric princes, will devote do aedras, will build a house and get a kid, will marry, will become assassin, will become a thief, will help the old people that lives in the top of the mountain, will become brother of the crazy warriors... well... i could continue, and FO4 is like, i have to get my kid to finish the story, but before that i will... help some strange people called "settlers" and plant some crop, because doing this my character will be better and stronger, wait... no, will not... ok, let's blow up Shaun.

If the settlements have a true purpose in the story or the game, fo4 would be cool, but there is a long long long way to be better them skyrim in terms of gaming.

With each new game release Beth drifts further and further away from a true RPG and more towards a hybrid. Their writing has always been bad but this last effort is terrible, especially following up a very well written RPG like Witcher 3. I guess they know that the only thing they have going for them is that they have the best modding platform by far. You have to ask yourself this one question: would you still be playing any Beth game if it wasn't for the mods?

I'm just counting the days/months/years until Cyberpunk 2077. Until then I'll attempt to bring some better quests into Fallout 4.

I'm not so fond of the RPG "purists", being a long (25ish years) time tabletop RPGer I know very well that roleplaying games comes in all forms and varies wildly no matter the setting depending on the group playing it. But like with computer games there are always some people who claim to know the one true way its supposed to be... and can be quite toxic in how they try to recruit others to their way of thinking.

I don't think I'd be playing Skyrim still if not for mods, but I have close to 2000 hours in that game and no other single player game comes close to that. Fallout 4 is close to 450 hours now, I've hardly used any mods yet and have hardly explored the DLCs at all.  Witcher 3 I've played for 34 hours. I think its a good game, I just don't enjoy it very much. Doesn't make it any more or less of an RPG in my opinion. Its a very good Geralt simulator and is extremely successful in what it sets out to do, just as I believe Bethesdas game are. 

P.S. Oh, and I'm also looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077. I've played that tabeltop RPG quite a few times :)

Kinda sad.

64bit means a lot of things, there are nearly no limits to the 64bit compated to 32bit.

Better performance, more mods, better stabillity etc. And graphics? They are only made for console users because they have hard limit on the megabytes for mods.

64 bit programs have a technical advantage over 32 bit. But they do not mean any of what you just mentioned.

With each new game release Beth drifts further and further away from a true RPG and more towards a hybrid. Their writing has always been bad but this last effort is terrible, especially following up a very well written RPG like Witcher 3. I guess they know that the only thing they have going for them is that they have the best modding platform by far. You have to ask yourself this one question: would you still be playing any Beth game if it wasn't for the mods?

I'm just counting the days/months/years until Cyberpunk 2077. Until then I'll attempt to bring some better quests into Fallout 4.

I certainly wouldn't and your points are right on. Fallout 4 (and most Bethesda games) are for me a mod playground. Once the novelty wears off the core game is pretty dry.

I'm not so fond of the RPG "purists", being a long (25ish years) time tabletop RPGer I know very well that roleplaying games comes in all forms and varies wildly no matter the setting depending on the group playing it. But like with computer games there are always some people who claim to know the one true way its supposed to be... and can be quite toxic in how they try to recruit others to their way of thinking.

I don't think I'd be playing Skyrim still if not for mods, but I have close to 2000 hours in that game and no other single player game comes close to that. Fallout 4 is close to 450 hours now, I've hardly used any mods yet and have hardly explored the DLCs at all.  Witcher 3 I've played for 34 hours. I think its a good game, I just don't enjoy it very much. Doesn't make it any more or less of an RPG in my opinion. Its a very good Geralt simulator and is extremely successful in what it sets out to do, just as I believe Bethesdas game are. 

P.S. Oh, and I'm also looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077. I've played that tabeltop RPG quite a few times :)

Funny enough, I have to agree. People focus way too much on "there has to be a long story line and dozens of quests" to qualify a game as an RPG. It's about as bad as the claims "X game has skills and levels, so it's an RPG" (especially Diablo style games tend to get miscategorized into the RPG segment because of that). Those are all traits commonly found in RPGs, but they are NOT the things that qualify a game as an RPG.

C'mon people, it's not THAT hard. RPG stands for Role Playing Game. A game in which you, as the player, play the role of whatever you're supposed to be playing. It's not just a matter of killing stuff and leveling up, it involves the personality of your character, your characters' behaviour. Fallout 4 may be a bit shallow in its decision making department (the common "yes", "yes", "probably, yes" and "I don't want to but you're making me do it anyway" conversationwheel problem), but, at least, Fallout does actually fall into the RPG category, where not a single Blizzard game does.

Fallout could probably use a bit more "do whatever you like but face the consequences" gameplay, but overall, it definitely is an RPG. And one which modders will hopefully expand upon very soon.

I certainly wouldn't and your points are right on. Fallout 4 (and most Bethesda games) are for me a mod playground. Once the novelty wears off the core game is pretty dry.

I probably should have elaborated a bit instead of just saying that the writing was bad. And again, this is just my opinion, but I just think there should be something more to this game other than that it is a good modding platform.

Games like Mass Effect had interesting characters that added a lot to the game, like Tali'Zorah, Liara T'Soni, or Ashley Williams. Witcher series has memorable characters along with an incredible main story that, depending on your choices, will have you in tears or jumping for joy at the end of the game. But the only character you will remember from Fallout 4 is because he is so annoying with his repeated line "As usual, I have another settlement in need of help". The rest are just shallow and boring with little attempt to make an interesting character.

Still, I do consider Bethesda games to be pretty good, not only because they are fun to mod, but they have decent world building and excellent graphics. I just wish they would have some real replay value to them, like reading a book that you've read several times before. But as it is, FO4's only replay attraction other than mods is that you can build some pretty cool settlements. 

I can imagine how great these games would actually be if you combined the ability to mod them along with some good writing.

Archived