Devious Magic V1.6b (24/05/2016)

ok, having updated to 1.2b already i'm going to have to report that since the update to 1.2 i'm getting form errors and armors errors on screen, not represented as errors, but as messages to the player like a script somewhere in your code wasn't completed with the finishing syntax responses

in addition to those improper messages the player also has some spells permanently attached via huge timers that had nothing to apply those effects as tho they were added via update gametime

hircine's spell as well has the long timer on it and naked dream keeps returning

i was using the version before 1.0 without any issues and didn't get time to update in-between, now half tempted to revert to that to see if it clears....

ok, having updated to 1.2b already i'm going to have to report that since the update to 1.2 i'm getting form errors and armors errors on screen, not represented as errors, but as messages to the player like a script somewhere in your code wasn't completed with the finishing syntax responses

in addition to those improper messages the player also has some spells permanently attached via huge timers that had nothing to apply those effects as tho they were added via update gametime

hircine's spell as well has the long timer on it and naked dream keeps returning

i was using the version before 1.0 without any issues and didn't get time to update in-between, now half tempted to revert to that to see if it clears....

The messages you are seeing are just debug messages to me. Don't worry about them, they are not errors :)

The curses work by attaching themselves as long lasting spell effects (2 days for most of them I think) so what you are seeing is correct. The curses were applied via a chance onHit and onEquip in v1.2b, although that proved to not work quite how I was hoping as just about everything seems to generate an onEquip event!

I have since changed it to a chance onEquip of devious devices only... I'm still waiting to see if this performs any better.

Latest version is 1.2c which has a different notification so it doesn't look like an error message ;)

Any chance you could tone down the curses or give us the option to tweak the variables in MCM? As it is, they happen at random, they can't be removed, and they're a debilitating hindrance to gameplay.

Curses now only have a 5% chance of being applied when a devious device is equipped. This should help a lot with how the mod was originally checking, which was based upon anything being equipped.

Hi, so I'm not sure if this is a bug, but as soon as I start a game I get a 48 hour waking horror effect. I had not even left the live another life starting area and it was already applied to me. Since I have not cast any spells yet I don't think it should be applied?

It is because I was checking for any item equipped foolishly believing that it would only be armour that triggered this event. It is in fact everything! Some mods even re-equip items on load as well or swap things around. Hopefully, now that I've changed it to only check for Devious Devices being equipped it will only apply curses at the logical time.

Great! Going to give it another go. I don't know how possible it is to add an MCM menu, but an option to disable curses or change the percentage would be nice, since in most of my games I have high key generation, but also a high cursed loot chance, so I frequently end up putting on and taking off devices.

Edit: So I just realized that there is an MCM menu. The options for me are just called A B C and D. Do these do anything? If so what?

Great! Going to give it another go. I don't know how possible it is to add an MCM menu, but an option to disable curses or change the percentage would be nice, since in most of my games I have high key generation, but also a high cursed loot chance, so I frequently end up putting on and taking off devices.

Edit: So I just realized that there is an MCM menu. The options for me are just called A B C and D. Do these do anything? If so what?

Yes, MCM is on its way :) The current functions don't do anything just yet. First thing to implement will be to allow you to change the chance a Device might be cursed and to change the chance a curse will dispel itself

Yes, MCM is on its way :) The current functions don't do anything just yet. First thing to implement will be to allow you to change the chance a Device might be cursed and to change the chance a curse will dispel itself

Awesome, this really looks like it might become one of the best mods out there.

Bug report: Sleeping in a bed with Hircine's Bride effecting your character crashes the game.

Happened 3 out of 3 times.

Edit: I slept for a much shorter period of time, did not crash, but also did not trigger the curse.

The messages you are seeing are just debug messages to me. Don't worry about them, they are not errors :)

The curses work by attaching themselves as long lasting spell effects (2 days for most of them I think) so what you are seeing is correct. The curses were applied via a chance onHit and onEquip in v1.2b, although that proved to not work quite how I was hoping as just about everything seems to generate an onEquip event!

I have since changed it to a chance onEquip of devious devices only... I'm still waiting to see if this performs any better.

Latest version is 1.2c which has a different notification so it doesn't look like an error message ;)

umm, you do realize that particular global you were using effects even a start game not having equipped anything, just standin there already wearing the prisoner clothes...

well, atleast its been updated now, i'll have to see how the new version plays out

Bug report: Sleeping in a bed with Hircine's Bride effecting your character crashes the game.

Edit: I slept for a much shorter period of time, did not crash, but also did not trigger the curse.

hmmm....that is strange as it has been working fine for me. Do you get the short stories or have any other mod the effects when you sleep?

checking new version out on 1.2b naked dream stacked 3 times started new game saved wzxited loaded game and naked dream was in active twice

I'll check it out....it shouldb't be able to stack any curses any more. It could be they were stacked from a previous version where they could stack in which case they should sort themselves out when the trigger and try to recast.

well, atleast its been updated now, i'll have to see how the new version plays outumm, you do realize that particular global you were using effects even a start game not having equipped anything, just standin there already wearing the prisoner clothes...

I do now!

is the mcm menu ment to be like this ? i noticed it does that for hydraslave girls mod as well

Yes, it basically the standard template for the MCM while I add the options that I want

hmmm....that is strange as it has been working fine for me. Do you get the short stories or have any other mod the effects when you sleep?

I have iNeed which makes drink, food, and sleep a requirement (I added this so that I would have a reason to sleep and potentially trigger the sleep related curses from this mod). I have tried putting devious magic both before and after iNeed in the load order and it crashes after sleeping a long time both times. Have you tested this with any 'realistic needs' mods? If you had this working with one of them I could just swap to that one :P

I have iNeed which makes drink, food, and sleep a requirement (I added this so that I would have a reason to sleep and potentially trigger the sleep related curses from this mod). I have tried putting devious magic both before and after iNeed in the load order and it crashes after sleeping a long time both times. Have you tested this with any 'realistic needs' mods? If you had this working with one of them I could just swap to that one :P

I use iNeed too and I'm not encountering any problems...are you getting the mini stories or crashing before that?

------------------

New version up with the start of a proper MCM menu. You can now control the chance a Devious Device might be cursed. The other control to select the chance of a curse dispeling itself isn't working just yet.

I use iNeed too and I'm not encountering any problems...are you getting the mini stories or crashing before that?

I am not quite sure what you mean by mini stories, I crash within seconds of waking up, with nothing printed to the screen.

Some addition info:

Devious magic is pretty late in the load order

It is loaded after PerMa - Mage

It is loaded before PatchusMaximus and TES5EditMerged but it is excluded from both of those (when making the patches devious magic was not used).

Mod Organizer says that no parts of Devious Magic are overridden and it overrides no other mods.

Another couple of things: when doing job, and allowing customer to look, they do not actually attach devices.

Also there's no reward for doing advertisements now.

Yeah, this part isn't finished yet :)

I am not quite sure what you mean by mini stories, I crash within seconds of waking up, with nothing printed to the screen.

Some addition info:

Devious magic is pretty late in the load order

It is loaded after PerMa - Mage

It is loaded before PatchusMaximus and TES5EditMerged but it is excluded from both of those (when making the patches devious magic was not used).

Mod Organizer says that no parts of Devious Magic are overridden and it overrides no other mods.

When you wake up and Hircine's Bride triggers you should get a short story describing the dream...it will then spawn in creatures based on the dream to carry on the nightmare in real life!

If you're not getting the stories then I wonder if Hircine Bride conflicting on startup with something else that is waiting for an onSleep event. I can't think what might case a crash like that. I shall try to replicate it at my end today.

Re:- V1.4 = "Added mimics which are Devious Devices that have taken on the appearance of another piece of armour. You won't know till you put it on whether it is armour or a mimic. If it is a mimic the armour disintegrates leaving the appropriate Devious Device in its place"

That's just so horrible :shy:

Re:- V1.4 = "Added mimics which are Devious Devices that have taken on the appearance of another piece of armour. You won't know till you put it on whether it is armour or a mimic. If it is a mimic the armour disintegrates leaving the appropriate Devious Device in its place"

...but brilliant!  Well done MixedupJim!

I know  :D

...but brilliant!  Well done MixedupJim!

thank you  :D

One of those ideas that just pops in to your head at 2am in the morning...

---------------------

Just uploaded a new version that has an option in the MCM to dispel all curses from the player character. This will remove any stacked curses and will clear out any old versions of the curses that might still be running.

Just uploaded a new version that has an option in the MCM to dispel all curses from the player character. This will remove any stacked curses and will clear out any old versions of the curses that might still be running.

Thanks for this, still been crashing on wake so I'll probably just dispel and disable curses. I think I might have narrowed it down to PatchusMaximus or TES5EditMerged. Because on a new save without both of those it seems to work. I have a pretty large load order so I think this is an isolated case and not something you really need to/can fix.

Edit: So I've been trying out this new patch. Couple of small bugs I've found:

In the MCM menu one of the sliders can not be lowered to zero (chance for cursed devices can not go lower than one).

Sometimes when you change options in the MCM the changes are not saved (only had it happen to me once not sure how to recreate).

The spell version of deviously silenced does not stop spell casters: on success it applies the gag and collar but the opponent continues to cast spells and when I checked them through console they still had mana (have not tried the potion version).

Not really a bug but: The projectile of the spell version of deviously silenced moves really slowly and is nearly impossible to land on a non-stunned enemy.

Good luck :)

Two things would be great:

1.) Some persistance among the cursed items - that is, stored which item types were equipped last and NOT rolling for curses on those. It seems silly that my un-cursed armor suddenly becomes cursed after I try it on for the 10th time.

2.) Finding those potions and spell books as loot.

Wonderful idea about mimics!

However some more randomness would be great, for now they are fixed item types. Better to check for open slots and make attachable item appear.

And there's discussion what to do when PC is already all nicely wrapped up... Go easy on her, give her some keys? Or maybe place some spell on her, useful or curse?

Or punish some more, like sending to Simple Slavery or call some evilness from Cursed Loot? Food for thought! :)

i can still walk while struggling to open the armbinder/yoke, just noticed it after i installed this mod, don't know which mod caused this

anyone else has the same problem? how to fix it or is it intended? 

mimic idea is good, but it's a bit annoying since that cursed loot will unequip your armor many times, should be beter if it only test a item once(don't know if you understand me , what i mean is if a armor isn't mimic on the first time, it will never be a mimic.)

Thanks for this, still been crashing on wake so I'll probably just dispel and disable curses. I think I might have narrowed it down to PatchusMaximus or TES5EditMerged. Because on a new save without both of those it seems to work. I have a pretty large load order so I think this is an isolated case and not something you really need to/can fix.

Edit: So I've been trying out this new patch. Couple of small bugs I've found:

In the MCM menu one of the sliders can not be lowered to zero (chance for cursed devices can not go lower than one).

Sometimes when you change options in the MCM the changes are not saved (only had it happen to me once not sure how to recreate).

The spell version of deviously silenced does not stop spell casters: on success it applies the gag and collar but the opponent continues to cast spells and when I checked them through console they still had mana (have not tried the potion version).

Not really a bug but: The projectile of the spell version of deviously silenced moves really slowly and is nearly impossible to land on a non-stunned enemy.

Good luck :)

Shame it sounds like a conflict between those other two mods. Unfortunately it is just one of those things. :(

Two things would be great:

1.) Some persistance among the cursed items - that is, stored which item types were equipped last and NOT rolling for curses on those. It seems silly that my un-cursed armor suddenly becomes cursed after I try it on for the 10th time.

2.) Finding those potions and spell books as loot.

Yes, my next task is to remember which items have been equipped and tested for curses. I thought I could do it simply by adding a keyword to the item, but that isn't possible. So I had a look at how Kimmy does it with Cursed Loot and looks like it is simply recorded into an array so I'll be doing that shortly. :)

Yes, adding the potions/spells to loot and also vendors is high on my list as well as making dispel curse potions for all the spells. :)

Wonderful idea about mimics!

However some more randomness would be great, for now they are fixed item types. Better to check for open slots and make attachable item appear.

And there's discussion what to do when PC is already all nicely wrapped up... Go easy on her, give her some keys? Or maybe place some spell on her, useful or curse?

Or punish some more, like sending to Simple Slavery or call some evilness from Cursed Loot? Food for thought! :)

You're correct at the moment only one item is applied per armour type....but most do have several devious items that could be equipped and I'll be adding those shortly.

There is a really nice blessing that I use all the time called Sanguine's Blessing which will remove a devious item every so many hours. Makes life much easier to cope with large number of devices. It will always pick the most restrictive item e.g. armbinder then blindfold, then gag, then boots etc. which helps reduce the impact on your game. Before getting the armbinder was almost game stopping as you would then have to return to a town just to get out of it which could be tricky. Now you can continue knowing that the item will get stripped in a few game hours.

i can still walk while struggling to open the armbinder/yoke, just noticed it after i installed this mod, don't know which mod caused this

anyone else has the same problem? how to fix it or is it intended? 

mimic idea is good, but it's a bit annoying since that cursed loot will unequip your armor many times, should be beter if it only test a item once(don't know if you understand me , what i mean is if a armor isn't mimic on the first time, it will never be a mimic.)

I've certainly not changed anything to do with struggling in an armbinder, could be a feature in the new devious devices version?

Yeah, I'm going to track which items have been tested for being a mimic, same for if they are carrying a curse, so that what you describe doesn't happen :)

New version up which tracks which items are CLEAN and which are CURSED. Items known to be cursed will remain cursed so if you take it off and then put it back on again another curse will be applied.

I am thinking about adding a little incentive to wear cursed items by increasing their armour values (maybe by 1.5x ?). Once equipped no further curses will be applied, but if you take it off or it is stripped then you'll have to decide if it is worth putting back on.

The bad news is the only way I could think of to track these things that actually worked unfortunately broke devious device items. For that reason I have disabled Devious Devices from carrying curses, so feel free to add other items to the curse carrying list :)

The neat way about how I track the items is there is no overhead in doing so. I don't need to track 100s or 1000s of armour items to see if it has already been worn and what the outcome is....instead I modify the name of the item and put a [CURSED] or [CLEAN] tag in front of it. :)

The cool thing is that you can now create CURSED or CLEAN armour by enchanting it and then renaming it and putting [CLEAN] or [CURSED] somewhere in the new name :) This also means that if you come across some awesome armour that you really don't want to try on in case it is cursed or a mimic, then all you need to do is enchant it and rename it as above!