Devious Magic V1.6b (24/05/2016)

Love your work on this mod. Gives your PC a chance to use devious devices on enemies. Overpowered...maybe. Fun...definitely.

I noticed a few rogue edits in v1.5 (e.g. there's an edit to the book "Fall of the Snow Prince"). Suggest you clean up accidental changes with Tes5Edit to reduce unexpected compatibility issues.

There are also a few files in the BSA which override files in dependencies. Probably harmless for now, but may cause issues when dependencies are updated.

been following this for awhile but i cant wait to download any longer, i must try out the mimic feature!

It seems to work quite well...hope you like it :)

Love your work on this mod. Gives your PC a chance to use devious devices on enemies. Overpowered...maybe. Fun...definitely.

I noticed a few rogue edits in v1.5 (e.g. there's an edit to the book "Fall of the Snow Prince"). Suggest you clean up accidental changes with Tes5Edit to reduce unexpected compatibility issues.

There are also a few files in the BSA which override files in dependencies. Probably harmless for now, but may cause issues when dependencies are updated.

Yes, I'll be doing a sweep through it before the next version :)

just had a idea stripogram sanguine mimics a courier dont use normal couriers the mimic courier runs upto player like couriers do says the i have something for you your hands only then player is force stripped

I like it..."Curse of the Courier!"....sometimes he'll deliver an invitation to a Naked/Devious Device party where your'e the only guest and the party starts.....now! Triggers as soon as you read the note so you won't know if it is an invitation from a Jarl or not :)

I am thinking about adding a little incentive to wear cursed items by increasing their armour values (maybe by 1.5x ?). Once equipped no further curses will be applied, but if you take it off or it is stripped then you'll have to decide if it is worth putting back on.

I would strongly advise not changing any armor values as this would make the mod incompatible with every overhaul.

New version up which tracks which items are CLEAN and which are CURSED. Items known to be cursed will remain cursed so if you take it off and then put it back on again another curse will be applied.

I am thinking about adding a little incentive to wear cursed items by increasing their armour values (maybe by 1.5x ?). Once equipped no further curses will be applied, but if you take it off or it is stripped then you'll have to decide if it is worth putting back on.

The bad news is the only way I could think of to track these things that actually worked unfortunately broke devious device items. For that reason I have disabled Devious Devices from carrying curses, so feel free to add other items to the curse carrying list :)

The neat way about how I track the items is there is no overhead in doing so. I don't need to track 100s or 1000s of armour items to see if it has already been worn and what the outcome is....instead I modify the name of the item and put a [CURSED] or [CLEAN] tag in front of it. :)

The cool thing is that you can now create CURSED or CLEAN armour by enchanting it and then renaming it and putting [CLEAN] or [CURSED] somewhere in the new name :) This also means that if you come across some awesome armour that you really don't want to try on in case it is cursed or a mimic, then all you need to do is enchant it and rename it as above!

wow really good mechanic, it was more than what i've expected . 

btw i noticed the courier too, sometimes there will just be a random courier runs to me and gives me nothing?? does this mod cause it?

I would strongly advise not changing any armor values as this would make the mod incompatible with every overhaul.

After some investigation I can't really do it anyway. The armour value would have modified by script so I don't think it would have interfered with anything but because by enchanting the item and changing its name you could end up with super armour which would unbalance the game anyway.

btw i noticed the courier too, sometimes there will just be a random courier runs to me and gives me nothing?? does this mod cause it?

More luck than judgement :)

The courier might be from the "Request Discount" quest line. That does have a chance that your armour will be sent for cleaning and the courier will redeliver it. Are you sure you didn't get anything?

After some investigation I can't really do it anyway. The armour value would have modified by script so I don't think it would have interfered with anything but because by enchanting the item and changing its name you could end up with super armour which would unbalance the game anyway.

More luck than judgement :)

The courier might be from the "Request Discount" quest line. That does have a chance that your armour will be sent for cleaning and the courier will redeliver it. Are you sure you didn't get anything?

oh nvm XDD well i though that courier only delivers letters . i didn't really though about my armor, i though that they will just disappear forever XDD so i always take them off before asking discount

Thanks for an awesome mod!

My 2 feature requests:

1. Add MCM toggle to disable shop's jobs, discount and all related dialogues .

2. It would be nice if cursed tags were cleaner (like "Cursed Hide Armor" and "Uncursed Iron Boots") as it's done in some roguelikes.

Keep up the good work.

Edited by kde1

My 2 feature requests:

2. It would be nice if cursed tags were cleaner (like "Cursed Hide Armor" and "Uncursed Iron Boots") as it's done in some roguelikes.

Keep up the good work.

Yup I totally agree with this. I don't plan to do that discount quests since they don't fit with the character I'm roleplaying as and they just clog up the dialogue.

Request: is there a way to make the item tags invisible?  It annoys me to no end to see [CURSED] and [CLEAN] when I open my inventory.

It would also be nice to actually have configuration options for the curse probabilities, including success rate, how often they can (potentially) activate, etc.  It would also be rather neat if they would scale (negatively) with player arousal via Sexlab Aroused Redux.  (I.E. player arousal goes up: casting success rate goes down, curses activate more frequently, etc.)

It would also probably be a good idea to hard-code the vanilla quest reward armors and items to never become mimics.  That would be pretty devastating (and irreversible) if someone's Armor of the Old Gods turned out to be a mimic.

Possible bug, or maybe its just my setup

This mod appears to block Deviously Enslaved Continued. With DM active, DEC reports in console "player in scene, busy" and doesn't activate. I remove DM and the problem goes away. Thats too bad because this mod seems like it could be really fun

It could be just me, I have 150+ active mods, and Im not set up to test. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this?

My 2 feature requests:

Keep up the good work.

I'll see what I can do :)

Request: is there a way to make the item tags invisible?  It annoys me to no end to see [CURSED] and [CLEAN] when I open my inventory.

It would also be nice to actually have configuration options for the curse probabilities, including success rate, how often they can (potentially) activate, etc.  It would also be rather neat if they would scale (negatively) with player arousal via Sexlab Aroused Redux.  (I.E. player arousal goes up: casting success rate goes down, curses activate more frequently, etc.)

It would also probably be a good idea to hard-code the vanilla quest reward armors and items to never become mimics.  That would be pretty devastating (and irreversible) if someone's Armor of the Old Gods turned out to be a mimic.

unfortunately there is no way to hide the item tags that I can think of at the moment. However, I will be adding a few options to tailor how it displays the infomation.

I will also be providing MCM configuration for all curses.

If you want to make sure that super cool piece of armour is definitely not a mimic then you will have to cheat and change the MCM value for mimics to 0 temporarily :) (having bad things that cannot be fixed happen in your game makes it that much more memorable, plus there is always console commands! ;) )

This mod appears to block Deviously Enslaved Continued. With DM active, DEC reports in console "player in scene, busy" and doesn't activate. I remove DM and the problem goes away. Thats too bad because this mod seems like it could be really fun

It could be just me, I have 150+ active mods, and Im not set up to test. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this?

It might be that there is a scene running which shouldn't be....I will check :)

(1) unfortunately there is no way to hide the item tags that I can think of at the moment. However, I will be adding a few options to tailor how it displays the infomation.

(2) I will also be providing MCM configuration for all curses.

(3) If you want to make sure that super cool piece of armour is definitely not a mimic then you will have to cheat and change the MCM value for mimics to 0 temporarily :) (having bad things that cannot be fixed happen in your game makes it that much more memorable, plus there is always console commands! ;) )

(1) Throwing ideas at the wall here, since I don't know what may or may not stick.  Are you able to modify an item to show the "enchanted glow" without actually enchanting it?  There are various invisible characters in most character tables (ASCII, UTF-8, etc.) that could be used and checked for.  Perhaps combine the two ideas?  Place invisible characters at the END of an item name to denote cursed/uncursed, and apply an enchanted glow to cursed items?

It's not a perfect solution, but I hope it gives you some new ideas.

(2) Thank you for that!  Aside from the item tags, this is one of the biggest reasons I can't bring myself to use this mod yet.

(3) Well that's a rather unfortunate stance to take.  Paraphrasing: "Oh, I really don't care if this item is important to you.  Consequences!"  Players should never have to make temporary changes to a mod for gameplay purposes.  It really breaks immersion and halts the flow of the game.  I simply suggested making sure that irreplaceable items could never become a mimic, that way they cannot be lost by your mod's destructive function(s).  You could even make it an option (and have it disabled by default if that makes you feel better).

Something new I realized while typing this: you really hate mages, don't you?  When I was playing around with it, I noticed there are only 2 spells.  Everything else is a poison that has to be applied to a physical weapon.  This also saddens me, as it means even if I did start using your mod, the vast majority of the fun to be had is simply unavailable to my mage.  I do hope you'll consider adding spell versions of everything else.  :(

(1) Throwing ideas at the wall here, since I don't know what may or may not stick.  Are you able to modify an item to show the "enchanted glow" without actually enchanting it?  There are various invisible characters in most character tables (ASCII, UTF-8, etc.) that could be used and checked for.  Perhaps combine the two ideas?  Place invisible characters at the END of an item name to denote cursed/uncursed, and apply an enchanted glow to cursed items?

It's not a perfect solution, but I hope it gives you some new ideas.

(2) Thank you for that!  Aside from the item tags, this is one of the biggest reasons I can't bring myself to use this mod yet.

(3) Well that's a rather unfortunate stance to take.  Paraphrasing: "Oh, I really don't care if this item is important to you.  Consequences!"  Players should never have to make temporary changes to a mod for gameplay purposes.  It really breaks immersion and halts the flow of the game.  I simply suggested making sure that irreplaceable items could never become a mimic, that way they cannot be lost by your mod's destructive function(s).  You could even make it an option (and have it disabled by default if that makes you feel better).

Something new I realized while typing this: you really hate mages, don't you?  When I was playing around with it, I noticed there are only 2 spells.  Everything else is a poison that has to be applied to a physical weapon.  This also saddens me, as it means even if I did start using your mod, the vast majority of the fun to be had is simply unavailable to my mage.  I do hope you'll consider adding spell versions of everything else.  :(

1. Certainly a possibility but who knows what characters Skyrim will allow in item names and what issue that might cause when using the enchantment table etc.

2. The 1st curse config is now in the MCM

3. Well, I do see it as a very very minor issue currently, especially as 1. there is a work around and 2. I want to get all the curses into the MCM which is a massive job in itself. But don't wait for me...fire up Creation Kit, extract the mod files and have at it :)

At the end of the day if you don't like Mimics then turn them off or set them to a low probability. In the Devious Magic world of Skyrim even the most amazing armour might just be amazing bait! MWHAAAHhahhhahaaaaaaaaa!  :shy:

I don't hate Mages, it's just I couldn't get the magic spells to actually work correctly...only the potions seems to apply effects properly. It is something I will be re-visiting at some point once I get round to it.

-------------------------

New version up with a few fixes and extra MCM options

1. Certainly a possibility but who knows what characters Skyrim will allow in item names and what issue that might cause when using the enchantment table etc.

That's easy to fix.  Just have the player insert [CURSED] or [CLEAN] as you currently do, then do a text-replacement behind the scenes when the enchanting is finished.  Then, it's just a matter of figuring the character set for Skyrim and locating invisible character codes.  Should be relatively easy to create dummy items in a test mod with various codes until one doesn't crash the game. *

* I say should be easy, but I honestly have a hard time wrapping my head around the Creation Kit.

My 2 feature requests:

Keep up the good work.

unfortunately there is no way to hide the item tags that I can think of at the moment. However, I will be adding a few options to tailor how it displays the infomation.

If you want to make sure that super cool piece of armour is definitely not a mimic then you will have to cheat and change the MCM value for mimics to 0 temporarily :) (having bad things that cannot be fixed happen in your game makes it that much more memorable, plus there is always console commands! ;) )

DEC didn't trigger after DM too, true. but DEC is pretty useless for me XD

That's easy to fix.  Just have the player insert [CURSED] or [CLEAN] as you currently do, then do a text-replacement behind the scenes when the enchanting is finished.  Then, it's just a matter of figuring the character set for Skyrim and locating invisible character codes.  Should be relatively easy to create dummy items in a test mod with various codes until one doesn't crash the game. *

* I say should be easy, but I honestly have a hard time wrapping my head around the Creation Kit.

Let me know how you get on :)

My 2 feature requests:

Keep up the good work.

Request: is there a way to make the item tags invisible? It annoys me to no end to see [CURSED] and [CLEAN] when I open my inventory.

It would also be nice to actually have configuration options for the curse probabilities, including success rate, how often they can (potentially) activate, etc. It would also be rather neat if they would scale (negatively) with player arousal via Sexlab Aroused Redux. (I.E. player arousal goes up: casting success rate goes down, curses activate more frequently, etc.)

It would also probably be a good idea to hard-code the vanilla quest reward armors and items to never become mimics. That would be pretty devastating (and irreversible) if someone's Armor of the Old Gods turned out to be a mimic.

If you want to make sure that super cool piece of armour is definitely not a mimic then you will have to cheat and change the MCM value for mimics to 0 temporarily :) (having bad things that cannot be fixed happen in your game makes it that much more memorable, plus there is always console commands! ;) )

DEC didn't trigger after DM too, true. but DEC is pretty useless for me XD

Could this be blocking some devious items from functioning properly? I got a bug where scenes result in the pc just standing still with controls disabled. And the armbinder idle anim doesn't play.

I assumed it was a CD issue because that was the mod starting the scenes but this would make sense too.

Let me know how you get on :)

I assume you are currently checking the name of the armor parts for either [CLEAN] or [CURSED].

And probably once you equip an item without tag you change the name to either one of the above.

Wouldn't it be easier to create Keywords which you add and check for?

ArmorPart.AddKeyword(dm_cursed)

If (ArmorPart.HasKeyword(dm_cursed)) {

// do stuff

}

Didn't check if it works but theoretical it should do the trick

I'd suggest you to rework on the first post / download page description, your mod looks interesting but its description is really confusing...  You speak of potions and spells at the same time and maybe I've read it poorly but I can't understand how a potion and a spell are the same thing.  This is just an exemple, I think your mod would get a lot more attention if you provided maybe screenshots but more importantly a cleaner presentation :)

And probably once you equip an item without tag you change the name to either one of the above.I assume you are currently checking the name of the armor parts for either [CLEAN] or [CURSED].

// do stuff

}

Hi Kain,

That is exactly how I wanted to do it, but as far as I can see there is no AddKeyword command only HasKeyword which seems like a massive oversight as that means keywords can only be added through the creation kit and not through a script :(

Hey just a heads up the newer version conflicts with Aroused Creatures. The animation won't start for the creatures if you have both installed. If you open up the Papyrus you get this message: Prisoner(busy:_DeviousMagicDeathQuest)

Hmm....while that quest should be active as it is the one that listens for onEquip events etc, there shouldn't be an active scene running (although there was a scene that never ended in a previous version...but that should be fixed in the latest).

The only thing I can think of is the scene is still running even though it no longer exists. You could try using the console to stop that quest then restart it and see if that clears the scene

stopquest _DeviousMagicDeathQuest

startquest _DeviousMagicDeathQuest

Or disable the mod, reload save game, save, quit out, re-enable mod, load save game :)

Could this be blocking some devious items from functioning properly? I got a bug where scenes result in the pc just standing still with controls disabled. And the armbinder idle anim doesn't play.

I assumed it was a CD issue because that was the mod starting the scenes but this would make sense too.

i think u just quit the discount conversation while not finished, if you finish the conversation, it will enable the player control.

fix it at zaz mcm menu.

And probably once you equip an item without tag you change the name to either one of the above.I assume you are currently checking the name of the armor parts for either [CLEAN] or [CURSED].

// do stuff

}

Hi Kain,

That is exactly how I wanted to do it, but as far as I can see there is no AddKeyword command only HasKeyword which seems like a massive oversight as that means keywords can only be added through the creation kit and not through a script :(

Hey just a heads up the newer version conflicts with Aroused Creatures. The animation won't start for the creatures if you have both installed. If you open up the Papyrus you get this message: Prisoner(busy:_DeviousMagicDeathQuest)

Hmm....while that quest should be active as it is the one that listens for onEquip events etc, there shouldn't be an active scene running (although there was a scene that never ended in a previous version...but that should be fixed in the latest).

The only thing I can think of is the scene is still running even though it no longer exists. You could try using the console to stop that quest then restart it and see if that clears the scene

stopquest _DeviousMagicDeathQuest

startquest _DeviousMagicDeathQuest

Or disable the mod, reload save game, save, quit out, re-enable mod, load save game :)

Hey Jim,

Looks like you are right. When I checked for the functions, I ended up on the fallout4 wiki and in Fallout4 AddKeyword() exists.

It looks like you can add a keyword by forcing an alias on a reference (what i found was for actors and nor armor tho). Maybe you can check if that's a possible solution to your problem.

Hey Jim,

Looks like you are right. When I checked for the functions, I ended up on the fallout4 wiki and in Fallout4 AddKeyword() exists.

It looks like you can add a keyword by forcing an alias on a reference (what i found was for actors and nor armor tho). Maybe you can check if that's a possible solution to your problem.

I do need to find an alternative way. Apparently the SetName function sets the name of the base object so if your Iron Boots get cursed then every single Iron Boot in the world will get the cursed tag :(

I know it must be possible to rename just the reference to an object as I've seen it done in iNeed where it renames food based upon spoilage. Looking through their code they are also using SetName. 

SetName belongs to the FORM Script so I've no idea how you tell it to only change the name of the object reference and not the base object! Seems impossible to do except it must be possible as you can rename items on the enchantment table and other mods seems capable of doing it....

Some what stuck at the moment... :(

------------------------------

After a bit more investigation it seems tracking specific items is incredibly difficult, and when it comes to large number of items almost impossible. I can't even use the ObjectRefence's ID as nothing is persistant unless I force it to be persistant...which I don't really want to do as I can see save game files getting huge if every item of armor is persistant and in memory.

I can temporarily load items in to alias's, but again I can't load every piece of armour in to an alias so that sucks some what. 

I could use an array to store the reference ID, but again, the reference ID is not persistant and would reset after each time the game is loaded.

I can enchant the armour as I would need to have an Uncursed enchantment as well which would prevent the armour being tempered or other enchantments being added (unless you have high perks)

This unfortunately leaves me with only a few options on how to achieve Mimics and Cursed Armour....

1. Leave it completely random, every time you equip something it'll be tested, even if you have equipped it before with no issues. I could live with this personally and just turn down the probability.

2. Create cursed and mimic versions of all vanilla armour. This would work as I could then force them in to containers as the player accesses them. The bonus of this method is that crafting an item will never produce mimics or cursed items. Downside is I actually have to create a copy of all armor items which could take a while and then distribute them around skyrim :( This is the best solution but would take such a long time to actually produce.