Story or Gameplay?

AgendaDysphoria

Story or Gameplay?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you value more in a game?

Here's my shitty ramble-post on the matter:

It's gameplay for me. I mean without gameplay, the game ceases to be a game. Gameplay is what gives the player the ability to interact in the game; it's what connects the player to the game. Otherwise the software simply becomes an un-interact able experience that a person can hear and view. And honestly, if a game is lacking in gameplay (quantity and quality-wise) I really don't care how good the story is, it simply wouldn't be worth the effort of experiencing (what with having to deal with the poor gameplay).

Games like Castlevania, Mega Man, and Dark Souls are examples of games that avoid over-emphasis on story and focus on providing excellent gameplay, and to this day I can still load up any of these games and have a great time playing them since their gameplay is so good and these games are so replay-able. With a story-heavy game, I can feel satisfied by the end of it, but I have no desire of starting it up again because the investment one has to make to remember all quests and details and characters yada yada. For example, I restarted the original Witcher game 3 times because after playing it for a bit, I would get bored and frustrated at the bad gameplay and go on a Witcher hiatus for several months, when I came back, I had forgotten everything and resolved to starting over. I still haven't beaten that game to this day.

And going back to the gameplay-over-story games listed above, I would even argue that those games still have good stories to them. It's all presented in a way that comes through playing and experiencing the game at your own pace and leisure. I'm not simply advancing to another plot point, watching a cutscene until being tasked with reaching the next plot-point, the story and plot intertwine with the gameplay and the experiences are aimed directly at me, not the in game character I'm controlling or something else.

Here's my shitty ramble-post on the matter:

And going back to the gameplay-over-story games listed above, I would even argue that those games still have good stories to them. It's all presented in a way that comes through playing and experiencing the game at your own pace and leisure. I'm not simply advancing to another plot point, watching a cutscene until being tasked with reaching the next plot-point, the story and plot intertwine with the gameplay and the experiences are aimed directly at me, not the in game character I'm controlling or something else.

While I vote based on past experience that good gameplay is more important than good story, you stated exactly what I was thinking. Experiencing a story WHILE playing the game is something I really enjoy. Nowadays I often feel I am watching/reading video game.

I lol'd @ more people choosing story.

lol so I wasn't the only one.

I am surprised too. Mostly because the main features in this site, FO and TES don't offer so called "good story". The background setting and decision impacts are fine, but the developers often have difficulties incorporating characters, tension and suspense well.

It distinctly depends on the game. Some games focus on gameplay, some games focus on story, and depending on what sort of experience the game is trying to deliver, on or the other may be the important factor in what about the game was enjoyable to me. 

And in a slightly different view of some games: for some, gameplay creates the story. Such as games like Civ V, or Battlefield games. Sure, there is no story written into the game that I'm playing, be it a Civ game, or a Battlefield match, but in my mind, there is a story unfolding behind the scenes. Whether that points to gameplay or story being important, I'm not sure. I think it points to the two being intertwined.

It's unlikely to find a story in a game 100 % satisfactory and more than "well-written" stories, I prefer options.

It's also utmost important for me to have space for personal immagination.

I could play a game with a very bad story or no story at all if my immagination could integrate in the context and provide some kind of inspiration, but not a game with terrible gameplay.

Games are for playing while there are much better mediums for storytelling.

Couldn't agree more.

Sure, there is no story written into the game that I'm playing, be it a Civ game, or a Battlefield match, but in my mind, there is a story unfolding behind the scenes.

Exactly.

I'm not sure what the outrage really was about in this thread earlier, but it was in no way an appropriate response to what was said, which was neither insulting nor a personal attack. 

So please stop reporting people for "lol'ing" at a poll and carry on with the discussion.

WTF!!!!!  Game play or Story???  Those are my only choices?????   :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Where the hell is the boobs and ass choice?  If game play or story meant one fucking thing, then why the hell are folks still playing ANYTHING bethesda has made?  Cause of boobs and ass of course!!!  Now one "could" say I am really talking about being able to "mod" a game, but that is just semantics.  

BOOBS AND ASS FOR THE WIN PEOPLE!!!!!   :D  :D  :D

Ok, Ok, I guess if I had to pick just between the OP's two choices it would have to be game play.  A great story is really nifty....provided you can actually experience it.  Seriously, if you are getting into something and then BAM BSOD or some other glitch occurs and then KEEPS occurring then pretty soon you are going to uninstall the game and not give one shit how cool the story was or that the ending was epic.  Solid game play often will overcome weak story lines far more than the other way around.

I think the art of creating games is to find a good way between story and gameplay. I could care less about stories in a Multiplayer Action Shooter or MOBA. Thats where the gameplay has to shine or it fails. In a RPG the story has to shine or it fails.

Depends, I found it weird that so many people cared about Mass effect gameplay, just what are you people playing the game for?

Well, i have to admit that i struggled trough ME1's broken mechanics because of the story (and blue alien boobs ;)), but luckily the gameplay improved a damn lot in the sequels. If there's something more fun than Charge, Nova, Shotgun in the face combo, i don't want to know about it ^_^

Usually if the story isn't that interesting I don't play for a long time, especially for a Single-player game. Mass Effect combines both very good story and gameplay which is just amazing imho.

For multiplayer games, the gameplay is just the important part, never saw any good multiplayer game with a real and interesting story.

Usually if the story isn't that interesting I don't play for a long time, especially for a Single-player game. Mass Effect combines both very good story and gameplay which is just amazing imho.

For multiplayer games, the gameplay is just the important part, never saw any good multiplayer game with a real and interesting story.

that's actually the point why this question/poll might not be asked correctly? Gameplay vs. Story isn't actually a fair fight, as many have already pointed put correctly: No gameplay no game at all. So it is a bit too generalized IMHO

But there are simply genres of games where I think gameplay comes second. Most notebly RPGs of course, and adventures, to some decree even Shooters. I really struggled through the rather awkward gameplay-decisions of "Arcanum - Of Steamworks and Magic", especially the combat was...clumsy...but the world and story kept me going. It is one of the most original and mature RPGs for PC still. A major victory of Story over Gameplay

So maybe the better OP-Question would have been: What can you rather tolerate? Bad Gameplay or bad Stories? Then I would say: If the story is truly engaging I will play on. But if the game's story bores me the best gameplay might not redeem it in my eyes...

So, I'm just going to put this here and let you think about it:

Would you play a game which has an amazing story, but requires you to spend hours on piss-poor gampelay (boring, slow combat and long sections of running around doing fetch quests) for every little bit, checking guides to find out how to proceed after every story section?

No,

so I let you think about this: Would you play a game which has an amazing gameplay but all it offers is a piss-poor room with no enemies, no clues about what to do next? just randomly placed objects you can interact to play the game ?

You just described Minecraft in the most pessimistic way imaginable. And Minecraft is both fantastic and quite popular even to this day.

No,

so I let you think about this: Would you play a game which has an amazing gameplay but all it offers is a piss-poor room with no enemies, no clues about what to do next? just randomly placed objects you can interact to play the game ?

So then... What do you leave left for the gameplay? Good, responsive controls? I thought that the gameplay included those things; such as an objective, obstacles and challenges to overcome, and interaction with the environment (where smart, meaningful, and fun interaction leads to good gameplay).The game doesn't even need context, but it does need things for the player to do, otherwise the game simply has bad gameplay.

No,

You just described Minecraft in the most pessimistic way imaginable. And Minecraft is both fantastic and quite popular even to this day.

I agree completely. There are plenty of challenges you can set yourself, I particularly like creating contraptions using redstone. Since making any logic gate is possible in Minecraft, you can build entire computers if you so wish. There are a ton of other things like piston doors that you can try your hand at if logical circuits aren't your thing. If you're not interested in making any machines altogether, you can try building some snazzy looking architecture.

A game with a good gameplay but without story is entertaining, a game without gameplay but a good story is a movie and a game without gameplay and without story is nothing.

I guess gameplay is more important, but if the game has a story it has to be a good one or it will ruin the game.

I can enjoy a good story but the gameplay is... well... how can you enjoy a game if you don't like its gameplay ?

So, I'm just going to put this here and let you think about it:

Would you play a game which has an amazing story, but requires you to spend hours on piss-poor gampelay (boring, slow combat and long sections of running around doing fetch quests) for every little bit, checking guides to find out how to proceed after every story section?

If the story unfolds quick enough to recognize this and/or the scenario itself attracts me ... actually I think yes I would force myself through this. In a way...I already said this when I mentioned Arcanum, the combat-system was annoying as shit...also in a lot of the older RPGs you really HAD to use your head to find out how to proceed ... before gameplay added exclamation marks to quest-characters and locations ^^ :P  Yeah, Morrowind...and yes, at least the first time I played through and I WAS intrigued by the story/background of the world...

Hell, as far as I am concerned even Oblivion and Skyrim have great stories, though in their cases its not so much about the characters and dialogues, but merely the world and background created that captivates me ... more so than the combat or other elements...

• 2 weeks later...

If there's nothing to do in game the story is pointless. AKA Telltale's The Walking Dead, Jurassic Park, and Wolf Among Us or whatever. Story doesn't matter if there's nothing to do but listen to the same old same old romance/rivalry between who gets to tap the pussy or how these people survived monsters and whatnot.

Need balance in games for it to be good. Cannot just focus on one thing.

• 2 months later...

as from my expierence with 200 ~ games more or less in 10 yrs of gaming,i always could find games with good gameplay but no story almost at all, games like

,,Dark souls" (story is big as butterflies shit ) or

,,Do not starve" ( flash game,but noneless amazing,where u have to find food and random junk,thats the story )

in other hand i cant give u an example of game that has almost no gameplay but great story - maybe its a book with dice for kids ? :-/  kiding ofc,but yeah,as for me,i always prefered gameplay,

EDITED - thats why its called video G-A-M-E-S not video stories

Archived