IGNORED

Generic NPC Outfits

I am trying to figure out how to randomize clothing in a mod for generic, unnamed npcs. In the mod, npcs belonging to a class look the same and wear the same type/color clothing. Is there a way to randomize how they look and what they wear without editing each and every one of them? Can I also make a master of Apachii hair and randomize their default hair?

Well if it was going to be done, I would start by looking onto the randomizing of bandits, look up files in the CK that start will "Litems", for example LItemBanditBossCurirass  or something like that, what that file does is goes into the bandits inventory and inside that file are the options for what different bandits will choose from when spawn, usually depending on the bandits level

With that said, the only way I can see that working with unique NPC's is if you used the NPC outfits, then inside the outfit files create files like the bandit files "LItem" containers and add different boots/helmets/cuirasses or cloths into the outfit file, theoretically that should work, but not sure about unique npcs that do not respawn

As far as the hair, why couldn't it work the same way? What if you took let say "HairArgonianFemale00" and found a way to change it to a "LItem" file with multiple hairs in it so it is different with each NPC that has the hair "HairArgonianFemale00" equipped

Keep in mind I am spit balling but as far as bandit outfits that is how they work

24 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

I am trying to figure out how to randomize clothing in a mod for generic, unnamed npcs. In the mod, npcs belonging to a class look the same and wear the same type/color clothing. Is there a way to randomize how they look and what they wear without editing each and every one of them? Can I also make a master of Apachii hair and randomize their default hair?

You can make a leveled list for a selection of different clothes and put that list into a single outfit.

As for hair you would need a group of npcs each with their own hair and then put those npcs into a leveled list.

No matter what you will need to edit each npc.

You can use the vanilla bandits as an example of how to do all that.

I cannot go into more detail at the moment but you can feel free to ask me questions either here or privately, and I will help you as best I can.

5 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Thanks. I didn't think about looking at the way bandits randomize gear. That should work if I can figure it out.:classic_smile:

No problem the files in the picture are the ones you should be looking for:

5abfee36f2799_Screenshot(4).thumb.jpg.7420733f6993d47043d2884c9c6ef527.jpg

Thanks to both of you for the help. I'm doing this for a mod that was abandoned and the author gave permission to anyone to use the mod how they see fit. He didn't include any quests or anything that I know of, but, it is a very large, detailed world space. Also doing this as an add-on for World of Rudra- which I'm thoroughly enjoying right now.:classic_biggrin:

1 minute ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Thanks to both of you for the help. I'm doing this for a mod that was abandoned and the author gave permission to anyone to use the mod how they see fit. He didn't include any quests or anything that I know of, but, it is a very large, detailed world space. Also doing this as an add-on for World of Rudra- which I'm thoroughly enjoying right now.:classic_biggrin:

What you are attempting to do is what I did with a couple of mods in the "Populated Skyrim" series. I love outfit mods and my goal is to have every single outfit that I like used by npcs since I obviously can't have my character and her followers alone wear hundreds of different outfits :smile:

I'm interested myself in how this turns out, since I'd like to make a Brigandage-light sort of thing to replace Dwarven armour. It's always bugged me that Dwarven armour is supposed to be scrounged from different bits and pieces of Dwarven artifacts and automatons, AND sometimes forged entirely new from Dwarven metal, yet in game all Dwarven armour is completely uniform (and ugly and bulky as hell). I've been collecting bits and pieces which would be suitable for a small levelled list which would add some lighter and more form-fitting sets of Dwarven armour, but have yet to look at how to actually implement that.

18 minutes ago, SmedleyDButler said:

I'm interested myself in how this turns out, since I'd like to make a Brigandage-light sort of thing to replace Dwarven armour. It's always bugged me that Dwarven armour is supposed to be scrounged from different bits and pieces of Dwarven artifacts and automatons, AND sometimes forged entirely new from Dwarven metal, yet in game all Dwarven armour is completely uniform (and ugly and bulky as hell). I've been collecting bits and pieces which would be suitable for a small levelled list which would add some lighter and more form-fitting sets of Dwarven armour, but have yet to look at how to actually implement that.

Definitely study the bandits.

This is a good mod to study for examples of leveled lists within leveled lists for outfits consisting of many interchangeable parts:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72104

Found this in my search for a way to randomize things in the game. I know there is a way to make the game randomize many things because of how it spawns random encounters. The encounters seem to be the only thing based on a random value. Everything else is based on the player level and lists. If I can figure out how that works, then I think I might be able to use it for random gear or random traits.

Imagine going into a random battle against random enemies at random levels, wearing random clothing/armor, weapons, and finally, maybe, their race and appearance. For example, 4 bandits, male and female, with names perhaps. One is a sneaky Breton rouge that prefers ranged attacks and poison. Another is a

heavy armored Argonian wielding a mace and shield with perks for bashing and heavy armor. One is a fire mage with perks for those spells. The last is a shape-changer that turns into a Werebear (Bear? Where?):classic_biggrin:. You will never run into the same thing twice! Loot could be done the same way.