Mesh visible in nifskope but not in-game

Temporary500

First of all, I love this comunity and I don't think there will ever be a way for me to truly express how much I appreciate it. Really, so glad I stumbled upon you all and thank you for being here :smiley:

Now, on to the question at hand. I followed a tutorial on how to import meshes into Oblivion (the tutorial by RGMage2 entitled "EDITING THE HEAD MESH IN BLENDER" on the Nexus) and I ended up with a good result that works in nifskope like a charm etcetera. In game the mesh is completely absent. I thought the texture paths might be wrong, but nothing. I thought that it might have been some Blender left over, but nothing. I thought also that it might have been a renaming problem of the file, but that was not it.

The mesh I modified is the head of the ash-ghoul from the Lands of Solstheim and the Morrowind-Oblivion mod (the disclaimer on their site said to not talk about it so I hope I am being clear of what mod I'm talking about ^^"), I have read on the tutorial's page's comments section that that tutorial has problems with other head meshes that are not Head06, but I have also read that the problems encountered by following the tutorial anyway are of strange or missing eyes, and lips acting strange, but that is fine by me, as the ash-ghouls don't have eyes and if their lips act strange, unless is something completely out of the question, I can bear with it.

I read just about everything when it comes to modding, and always strive to achieve the end result by myself, but I have always had serious problems with mesh imports, I am hoping that I might gain some insight on what I did wrong and fix it so that I might learn and not do it again in the future, thanks for any answer and interest in my plight :smiley:

By the way, the attachment is from before I started messing around in nifskope trying to fix it, so there will most probably be Blender leftovers or something of the sort, the newer version I deleted because I thought that my "fixing" broke it even more. Also, sorry if I made any mistakes while typing this or things of the sort, I'm not used to speaking on the Internet because I put a lot of emphasis on conveing emotions during speech, all of which are absent or rudimental in text, and also, it is 1 AM here and I have spent the last six hours or so with this mesh ^^"

ashzombie.nif

7 hours ago, Temporary500 said:

First of all, I love this comunity and I don't think there will ever be a way for me to truly express how much I appreciate it. Really, so glad I stumbled upon you all and thank you for being here :smiley:

Now, on to the question at hand. I followed a tutorial on how to import meshes into Oblivion (the tutorial by RGMage2 entitled "EDITING THE HEAD MESH IN BLENDER" on the Nexus) and I ended up with a good result that works in nifskope like a charm etcetera. In game the mesh is completely absent. I thought the texture paths might be wrong, but nothing. I thought that it might have been some Blender left over, but nothing. I thought also that it might have been a renaming problem of the file, but that was not it.

The mesh I modified is the head of the ash-ghoul from the Lands of Solstheim and the Morrowind-Oblivion mod (the disclaimer on their site said to not talk about it so I hope I am being clear of what mod I'm talking about ^^"), I have read on the tutorial's page's comments section that that tutorial has problems with other head meshes that are not Head06, but I have also read that the problems encountered by following the tutorial anyway are of strange or missing eyes, and lips acting strange, but that is fine by me, as the ash-ghouls don't have eyes and if their lips act strange, unless is something completely out of the question, I can bear with it.

I read just about everything when it comes to modding, and always strive to achieve the end result by myself, but I have always had serious problems with mesh imports, I am hoping that I might gain some insight on what I did wrong and fix it so that I might learn and not do it again in the future, thanks for any answer and interest in my plight :smiley:

By the way, the attachment is from before I started messing around in nifskope trying to fix it, so there will most probably be Blender leftovers or something of the sort, the newer version I deleted because I thought that my "fixing" broke it even more. Also, sorry if I made any mistakes while typing this or things of the sort, I'm not used to speaking on the Internet because I put a lot of emphasis on conveing emotions during speech, all of which are absent or rudimental in text, and also, it is 1 AM here and I have spent the last six hours or so with this mesh ^^"

ashzombie.nif

I am not very well versed of the complexities of meshes myself, however I was comparing the head model that you supplied to a regular head and I noticed something odd:

This is a normal head that works/appears in the game:

Spoiler

NormalHead.thumb.png.d02f80f46583cb0b82eb8ab3aaadf6c4.png

And this is the model you supplied:

Spoiler

AshZombieHead.thumb.png.111edddbc4e55eb257d5bf2a3f3b6537.png

Now I noticed that the model you supplied has it's nodes all the way at the bottom, where as with the other head, they're right below the neck. So If I were to presume, based off of my extremely limited knowledge compared to the other brilliant minds here on Loverslab, I would say that this is where your issue lies. If not, then I deeply apologize for my unhelpful diagnostic.

10 hours ago, myuhinny said:

Is the name for NiMaterialProperty suppose to be named Material instead of 3 - Default? Looking at a different head that is how it's named.

I thought that myself, it was named Material 0000 something before, but I copied the name from the original nif because I thought that was the problem, unless it was just part of it, I'll note that, though, thanks :smiley:

3 hours ago, Jack of All Trades said:

<snipped for space saving>

I was perplexed at that too, but in game that is how the original nif looks, it is WAY up compared to the teeth and ear meshes, but in the "full view" preview it works, mine just doesn't show up at all. You gave me an idea, though. Perhaps I could do my usual "butcher" work and export the mesh anew into blender and then attach it to a normal head skeleton using a different nif for as base. Not sure what will happen with the egm and co. files, but I just need it to show up, animating will come later as I wanted the trunk to move with movement ^^

Thanks to both of you by the way, you are already helping me out on this :smiley:

And if you want to use it as hair nif...

delete the  " NiStringExtraData - Bip01 Head "

And the head - bone position can be fixed.

Create a copy of a working head nif ( Vanilla head nif )

and delete the head ( Block - Remove Branch )

Copy the head of your ashzombie nif ( copy Branch the  NiTriShape ) in the working nif

Right click the NiTriShape,  click Transform - Edit.  And set all values to 0

Not sure if it is possible to do it with MeshRigger

But a NifSkope test with skeleton , body and animation works.

ashzombie test.nif

1 hour ago, fejeena said:

<snip for space>

Thank you, I was able to make it work  :smiley:   In case anyone wonders, both hair and head version work correctly, now I just need to texturize it as best I can and move the teeth, as the old mesh had them lower and they are now visible outside the chin area.

Before closing this topic as solved, though, I wanted to ask a question that I wasn't able to find an answer for anywhere: why is that landmass mods, like the Morrowind-Oblivion one, need to be loaded just after Oblivion.esm? Is there a way to load more than just one at a time without getting missing landscapes? Thanks again for everything to everyone that answered this topic, by the way. I have learned much and for that I'm grateful :smiley:

13 minutes ago, Temporary500 said:

Thank you, I was able to make it work  :smiley:   In case anyone wonders, both hair and head version work correctly, now I just need to texturize it as best I can and move the teeth, as the old mesh had them lower and they are now visible outside the chin area.

Before closing this topic as solved, though, I wanted to ask a question that I wasn't able to find an answer for anywhere: why is that landmass mods, like the Morrowind-Oblivion one, need to be loaded just after Oblivion.esm? Is there a way to load more than just one at a time without getting missing landscapes? Thanks again for everything to everyone that answered this topic, by the way. I have learned much and for that I'm grateful :smiley:

I'm glad you were able to make it work! I'm currently not running any large landmass mods, so I personally haven't encountered that issue yet and thus couldn't give a 100% positive fix, however I think it would be do-able via Wyre Bash. 

3 hours ago, Jack of All Trades said:

I'm glad you were able to make it work! I'm currently not running any large landmass mods, so I personally haven't encountered that issue yet and thus couldn't give a 100% positive fix, however I think it would be do-able via Wyre Bash. 

It's fine, don't worry :smiley:  I know that you can merge masters and, from what I could gather, it should work, but I was wondering on the why that happens. From my understanding it seems to be something similair to the mod limit in Skyrim, a technical thing/function limit, but I was wondering about the details as I like learning how things work, and I also found it strange that there doesn't seem to be info online about the topic, as if it was common knowledge.

About the mesh, by the way, it seems it was the skeleton, even though I copy-pasted it from the "mother" nif, just so people know and can fix it, if the texture path and other fixes do not work :smiley:

landmass:

Mods with Worldspaces often have the problem.

e.g. the Mod DilbellWatch must be the first after the Oblivion esm or it does not work.

And the wasx also a Hammerfell Mod.

Both are Mods with esm.

Mods with esp does not have the problem, but they have a distance view problem.

Both you can fix with TES4Gecko and its "move worldspaces" function.   https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/8665?tab=files

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/787010-worldspace-view-distance/

5 hours ago, Temporary500 said:

It's fine, don't worry :smiley:  I know that you can merge masters and, from what I could gather, it should work, but I was wondering on the why that happens. From my understanding it seems to be something similair to the mod limit in Skyrim, a technical thing/function limit, but I was wondering about the details as I like learning how things work, and I also found it strange that there doesn't seem to be info online about the topic, as if it was common knowledge.

About the mesh, by the way, it seems it was the skeleton, even though I copy-pasted it from the "mother" nif, just so people know and can fix it, if the texture path and other fixes do not work :smiley:

Perhaps it's just a weird quirk with the Oblivion engine that's not very well understood, but accepted. 

11 hours ago, fejeena said:

Don't know.  It's a Bethesda game :classic_wink:

But with the TES4Gecko fix you can load more Mods and they must not be the first after Oblivion.esm

11 hours ago, Jack of All Trades said:

Perhaps it's just a weird quirk with the Oblivion engine that's not very well understood, but accepted. 

Alright, thank you ever so much fo the info and help :smiley:  I was also just starting to mess around with the TES4Gecko utility recently, so this will be part of the things I will try out :smiley: 

I have been "stalking" the forums till now, this was my first time posting here, and, it may sound strange, but comunicating to you three for real is an honor, really :smiley:  Thank you again for everything and good luck with everything you set out to do, this topic may now be closed and marked as solved ;D

Archived