Too many mods

So, I have a problem. I have may too many mods installed for Fallout 4. The problem isn't performance, it's that you are limited to 255 plugins. I have created two merged patches, but those only combined a total of ~16 mods into 2, and I am still having this problem. I hate having to remove a mod just because I want to install a new one. 

Any idea on how to remedy this situation?

P.S: Does anyone else have this problem, or am I just obsessed?

Also, i'm not sure if this belongs in the general discussion board, or technical support. Sorry if i posted in the wrong board. 

Uh that merging plug ins is the solution, something that a lot of us thought was a really nifty thing to do to get around the plug in limit.

I'd suggest that you merge more like plugins together like all your armors into one...Another one for weapons might be nice.

Mostly I just keep my own Fallout 4 stuff pretty small but for Skyrim I got really carried away and built some mega mods so I don't know what to tell you when it comes to getting carried away...Im guilty of getting carried away with modding basically.

17 minutes ago, Gameplayer said:

Uh that merging plug ins is the solution, something that a lot of us thought was a really nifty thing to do to get around the plug in limit.

I'd suggest that you merge more like plugins together like all your armors into one...Another one for weapons might be nice.

Mostly I just keep my own Fallout 4 stuff pretty small but for Skyrim I got really carried away and built some mega mods so I don't know what to tell you when it comes to getting carried away...Im guilty of getting carried away with modding basically.

Most of my weapon mods can't be merged, due to the fact I have the combat scopes mod, and other mods with weapon mods as masters.  (unless they somehow can be merged)

However, I will try merging more mods together. I always thought that merdged mods had to be related for some reason.

Funnily enough, I never had this problem with Skyrim.

I hear ya, but I do a ton of merging.

With armor mods, I merge everything. Except any scripted stuff or really large compilations. But I make a big merged mod for those. I might not wear all of them, but I do like using them to replace vanilla outfits by swapping out meshes so I can see them on npcs and such.

Weapons, I always think to myself, do I really use every single weapon I download? Like all the time or barely at all? If barely, toss it. Otherwise do what I did, and get Weaponsmith Extended. It combines a ton of weapon mods for you already and integrates them into the game. Wicked awesome mod and save esp space. Can be kind of a pain to setup right, but after you get it done, you'll be glad you did.

Face overhauls. I'm talking pretty companions or prettier npc type mods. The ones that change their faces and hairs and such. Merge those. I have one for all my companions, and another for all the npc edits I use. Use FO4Edit to remove any conflicts between them as you merge, this way you get what you want from each one. That cut down my load order by a ton by merging all those makeover mods.

Otherwise, start looking over your mods and decide what you barely use and toss it. I used to have tons of settlement workshop mods and tons of settlement makeover mods. Shortened my load order by removing most settlement makeover mods as I can just build them myself. I've cut my load order down to around 130 mods now, including merges, and it still works good. I used to always hit the cap as well and it was frustrating, but eventually you gotta look at it and ask yourself, do I really need all of this stuff?

You can also merge your entire mod list or the half of it, it becomes very bad to handle that way but it's a solution. See, you have your sorted mod order, merge mod 1 to 100 in one. For example. Need to be sure you won't resort them or have new mods in between, then you would need to remerge everything everytime you install a new mod.

Could also install every mod you want and then merge everything in one, and remerge all if you install a new mod.

Like the others, I'm using Merged Plugins to handle this.  I merge like things together.  Some of these cross over, where say Raider Overhaul is using assets from outfits or weapons (can't remember which).  These ones you can choose to merge into the weapons mod or separate.

Another big category people miss are patches.  Like RadRose patches can all be merged in to one.  So can all the VIS patches, etc.  I have over 400 mods all working together, with merges in my FO4.  That's about 300 or so plugins and the rest are replacers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2018 at 10:07 PM, AWP3RATOR said:

Like the others, I'm using Merged Plugins to handle this.  I merge like things together.  Some of these cross over, where say Raider Overhaul is using assets from outfits or weapons (can't remember which).  These ones you can choose to merge into the weapons mod or separate.

Another big category people miss are patches.  Like RadRose patches can all be merged in to one.  So can all the VIS patches, etc.  I have over 400 mods all working together, with merges in my FO4.  That's about 300 or so plugins and the rest are replacers.

Problem is that mods get updated sometimes and you need to repeat the merge procedure. Unfortunately Wrye Bash doesn't support merging FO4 patches ATM, it would make life much easier - you just rebuild Bashed Patch every time you update a mod, Bash finds all mods that can be merged, performs the merge and disables them. Worked fine in Skyrim, hopefully we will see FO4 version in the future (apparently this is being worked on).

Archived