Safe to install mods mid game

B0ss plz

I've been modding ES and FO games for years. But there is one question I'm not sure about that I've just thought of just now. I have about 3 hours in this one character right now and have just installed https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/36510 Lore friendly hair.

I know that installing mods mid game isn't "safe", especially script mods, but what I'm not sure about are mods that don't include a ESP or BSA plugin. Basically my question is, are just texture mods or something that doesn't come with a plugin safe to install mid game?

1 hour ago, B0ss plz said:

are just texture mods or something that doesn't come with a plugin safe to install mid game?

99.99% of the time the answer is yes, and some esp files can be safe as well, it depends on what they do/edit.

it's mostly just scripts that will kill your save.

well yes and no

it is usually safe to add mods mid game provided:

no ESM/ESP

no scripts

BSA can sometimes work, but sometimes won't 

but as Uncle64 and Gregathit said make a backup first

test afterwards

if it does have an ESP or scripts you can USUALLY add it provided:

(you did make a backup right????)

it does NOT overwrite any other mod

and it loads AFTER all other mods that have an ESP, ESM , BSA, and/or scripts

(you will want to adjust it in load order to start a new game afterwards though)

test afterwards

Archived