Would it just be more beneficial for me to completely wipe and reinstall Skyrim?

MyNameIsnt

I've been playing modded Skyrim for years. Back when I first started installing and using mods, I used NMM instead of MO.

I would install updated versions of mods directly over their outdated versions, which in retrospect was not a very smart idea. Throughout the past couple years I've tried several ENBs, took my load order up to 255 and then back down to ~150, and discovered the wonderful tools LOOT and TESVEdit

However, I think the damage that I've done when first starting out has taken its toll - even though TESVEdit and LOOT show that I'm good to go, I will always CTD when loading a save that I have done anything substantial in.

I'm pretty much at my limit here. I can start a new game and play for hours with no issues, but the moment I save, quit, and then reload that save I always CTD. I've gone through all of the usual solutions, including qasmoke and loading an earlier working save before loading a more recent one, but that really only works 1 out of 30 times I try it. I've also used Save Game Cleaner, installed Crash Fixes and Load CTD Fix. Papyrus logs show absolutely nothing out of the ordinary before crashing as well leading me to believe it's just a memory allocation issue.

I've uninstalled a lot of the more notorious mods such as SL Defeat, PoP, and just about anything that I don't interact with much on a regular playthrough and then started a new game, but this issue persists.

I'm running out of options and I think it might just be time to completely start over with Mod Organizer instead of Nexus Mod Manager.

No matter how badass a script cleaner is, the chances it removes every part of an offending mod is still not great so once you put something in, it's usually in, forever unless you know exactly what to remove by hand.  Secondly, NMM to this day still has issues removing mods, and is in much the same category.

MO is a safer choice for uninstalling, and the last two years have been a sea change in best coding practices for a great many mods that aren't authored by people refusing to clean up their shit like icecreamassassin.

15 minutes ago, 27X said:

No matter how badass a script cleaner is, the chances it removes every part of an offending mod is still not great so once you put something in, it's usually in, forever unless you know exactly what to remove by hand.  Secondly, NMM to this day still has issues removing mods, and is in much the same category.

MO is a safer choice for uninstalling, and the last two years have been a sea change in best coding practices for a great many mods that aren't authored by people refusing to clean up their shit like icecreamassassin.

Honestly my plan was to flat out delete everything in my Steam Skyrim directory, as well as removing all logs, saves, and .ini files in the mygames folder after uninstalling through steam.

If you uninstall and then kill the \data folder and any files in \mygames\skyrim in the user folder it will be completely fresh

That said i'd try Load Game CTD Fix before going to all that effort myself as its not a guarenteed fix for your issue since if you then go and re-install whatever mod is causing your loading issue you will be back to where you are again

43 minutes ago, pinky6225 said:

If you uninstall and then kill the \data folder and any files in \mygames\skyrim in the user folder it will be completely fresh

That said i'd try Load Game CTD Fix before going to all that effort myself as its not a guarenteed fix for your issue since if you then go and re-install whatever mod is causing your loading issue you will be back to where you are again

That's what I ended up doing. I've already tried Load Game CTD Fix and referenced it in my original post. It sucks but the sooner I get it working properly, the less issues I will have in the future.

Archived