[mod] [Stellaris] Sexual gameplay

8 hours ago, Davidchan said:

Need to Breed has lots of problems with it, not even going to the ridiculous stats you get for 5 trait points. The 'Bred into Extinction' Event fires (seemingly) at random but at least once per month, immediately purges/kills a xeno pop, and there is no way to designate specific pops to be targeted by this, let alone anyway to preserve pops from this fate. For example, I have the Asari mod, and my conquering Krogan warlords invaded the planet, ceded it and I began to resettle my new blue slaves around, only to have them basically being consumed by their Krogan masters and every Asari pop I had (20~ across 8 worlds) died within 6 months.

Yeah, I feel like it'll probably need a re-work. Probably stripping its current mechanics and just making it work like Assimilation does for machine Empires would probably be the best way to do that and make it specific to Devouring Swarm or make everyone hate you for it should probably be enough to balance it.

20 hours ago, Davidchan said:

Need to Breed has lots of problems with it, not even going to the ridiculous stats you get for 5 trait points. The 'Bred into Extinction' Event fires (seemingly) at random but at least once per month, immediately purges/kills a xeno pop, and there is no way to designate specific pops to be targeted by this, let alone anyway to preserve pops from this fate. For example, I have the Asari mod, and my conquering Krogan warlords invaded the planet, ceded it and I began to resettle my new blue slaves around, only to have them basically being consumed by their Krogan masters and every Asari pop I had (20~ across 8 worlds) died within 6 months.

So Breeding is in most cases a pleasurable thing, so happiness should always be present in breeding based species whether needed or not, removing a logical connected bonus for the sake of min/maxing a playstyle is not only power gaming at it's worst but also makes this mod in this place pointless, you want overpowered traits that let you win one handed goto the steam workshop, lots and lots of that crap there. 

Needing to breed frenzy state of mind.... but somehow being picky with your targets? ummm lol? Every guy I've met can't think straight when his dick gets hard so how you think this again makes sense is kinda dumb and screams the min/max playstyle of having "perfect miners" and "perfect farmers" "perfect researchers" I like mod and trait cause I have have species that I roleplay as that are genetically perfected sluts who found a galactic empire on what they were given and would not change the important things about themselves for anything. As it turns out it makes them both have the traits of "terrifying sadists" and "barren" making them spend much longer times breeding to make it stick as well as other empires knowing what awaits them if they decide to co-habitat, JUST like the asari and their mates. Every asari mate understands that their genetic line stops at their asari's vagina.... but something of them will carry on.... and I mean it's an asari vagina..... I'd scissor that in a heart beat.

So I like where this mod is and where it's going even with the updates by Raana. Keep it up and don't change what is there to much, just make more options! I'd like to see a few synthetic based sexual traits too. I was so sad when I changed my first race into synths expecting to keep a lot of my sexual traits and got nuthing. >.< Boo!

2 hours ago, Sybian said:

So Breeding is in most cases a pleasurable thing, so happiness should always be present in breeding based species whether needed or not, removing a logical connected bonus for the sake of min/maxing a playstyle is not only power gaming at it's worst but also makes this mod in this place pointless, you want overpowered traits that let you win one handed goto the steam workshop, lots and lots of that crap there. 

Needing to breed frenzy state of mind.... but somehow being picky with your targets? ummm lol? Every guy I've met can't think straight when his dick gets hard so how you think this again makes sense is kinda dumb and screams the min/max playstyle of having "perfect miners" and "perfect farmers" "perfect researchers" I like mod and trait cause I have have species that I roleplay as that are genetically perfected sluts who found a galactic empire on what they were given and would not change the important things about themselves for anything. As it turns out it makes them both have the traits of "terrifying sadists" and "barren" making them spend much longer times breeding to make it stick as well as other empires knowing what awaits them if they decide to co-habitat, JUST like the asari and their mates. Every asari mate understands that their genetic line stops at their asari's vagina.... but something of them will carry on.... and I mean it's an asari vagina..... I'd scissor that in a heart beat.

Like I said, the trait is over powered and needs to be toned down, severely. It is MANY times faster than purging xenos through any means, gives a direct benefit of a growth bonus AND doesn't come with any form relationship malice as purging does, you can freely open migration agreements with other nations and they'll happily send their pops to their death, where as the same empires wouldn't even consider it against xenophobic empires with active purge policies.

As for firing, it should at least require influence to kill a pop, be it in the breeding frenzy edict or manually purging, the empire policy should clearly be able to allow or control actions that would lead to the death of their pops. Spending influence to target or shield specific pops would be far more balanced than how it currently works as a faster, more beneficial method or purging Xenos than Devouring Swarms and Determined Exterminators even get.

9 hours ago, Sybian said:

So I like where this mod is and where it's going even with the updates by Raana. Keep it up and don't change what is there to much, just make more options! I'd like to see a few synthetic based sexual traits too. I was so sad when I changed my first race into synths expecting to keep a lot of my sexual traits and got nuthing. >.< Boo!

Like Davidchan said the issue is it's currently too powerful, we're not arguing that breeding isn't pleasurable. The second issue is that happiness is quite literally useless for Hiveminds. Even then it's still too powerful. A mod stops being fun if it gives you too much an advantage even more so in a Strategy game where the enjoyment of the game comes from the difficulty of outsmarting your opponents. The traits are currently fine since Raana helped balance them and I found myself having fun when not using Need to Breed.

I've been playing around with thinking how the concept could work and I've mentioned before just copying the way Assimilation works but currently my two better suggestions are:

-Make Need to Breed a purge type that gives you happiness just like how Xenophaging grants you food, it should unquestionably take longer than the more direct kinds of purge. Give it a strong negative relationship mark with other Empires. Make it so you need at least one of the more "dominant" types of sexual traits to use it or even just the "Need to Breed" trait if you want to keep that in.

-This is a lot more difficult and I think both this AND my "make it a purge type" suggestion should be done. Make a new Hivemind civic that instead of copy the Robotic Assimilators actually works closer to the Rogue Servitors in which having "trophy" pops increases the growth of your main race on that planet with maybe a unique building that slightly increases the modifier.

But yeah, Need to Breed allows you to essentially play a Purifier with none of the problems and actually with a lot more benefits.

EDIT: Haven't played around with the Edicts but some of them also appear a bit unbalanced.

I did add an opinion penalty to the species trait when I modded the file as a flat penalty. Though I suppose it's possible it may not be a big enough penalty. I didn't want to make it too big either because I think one of the original plans for the mod was going to give the ability to subjugate other empires into vassal status through migration in some way. Of course if it's firing as quickly as it is then that could require more balancing. I haven't actually looked into how the actual event handles since I'm still not overly familiar with how events work, and I figured I was modifying enough as it was with the balance changes I did do.

Edicts may still be a little on the overpowered side I will admit. I haven't done too much actual testing with the changes I made to them so I haven't seen them in action very much.

I actually really would like to make a custom purge type with a more erotic theme to it, but I just haven't been able to find all of the coding to actually pull it off. Same goes for a custom slavery type as well.

As for machine empire traits. Modifying for generic machine empires wouldn't be too problematic, but I can say from personal experience with another mod of mine that modifying anything tied to the special machine empires (exterminators, servitors, assimilators) is very tricky, and can very easily break their vanilla functionality if you change the wrong things.

1 hour ago, Raana said:

I did add an opinion penalty to the species trait when I modded the file as a flat penalty. Though I suppose it's possible it may not be a big enough penalty. I didn't want to make it too big either because I think one of the original plans for the mod was going to give the ability to subjugate other empires into vassal status through migration in some way. Of course if it's firing as quickly as it is then that could require more balancing. I haven't actually looked into how the actual event handles since I'm still not overly familiar with how events work, and I figured I was modifying enough as it was with the balance changes I did do.

Edicts may still be a little on the overpowered side I will admit. I haven't done too much actual testing with the changes I made to them so I haven't seen them in action very much.

I actually really would like to make a custom purge type with a more erotic theme to it, but I just haven't been able to find all of the coding to actually pull it off. Same goes for a custom slavery type as well.

As for machine empire traits. Modifying for generic machine empires wouldn't be too problematic, but I can say from personal experience with another mod of mine that modifying anything tied to the special machine empires (exterminators, servitors, assimilators) is very tricky, and can very easily break their vanilla functionality if you change the wrong things.

If you're still going to be making your own version of this mod, I'd recommend removing Need to Breed completely until it's reworked. It's just waaaaay too broken right now.

10 hours ago, Raana said:

Seeing as this isn't actually my mod it's not really my call to remove / disable it.

Not really. I mean it's not your mod, but doing a modified version of the said mod doesn't mean you can't remove functions...

It still feels kind of awkward continuing to modify someone else's mod though. If we ever set up a merged mod pack compilation of some sort I might do another balance pass on everything, but for now I'm focusing a bit more on building my own mod at the moment.

Disabling the Need to Breed mechanic is pretty simple anyway, and there's a couple ways to go about it. For one, I think the actual event mechanics themselves are an add-on mod to begin with. So disabling that will leave the trait active, but the population replacement feature itself won't trigger. The other way, if you think the base trait itself is too strong, is to open the traits.txt file in any text editor and add the following line of code to the sex_crazed trait:

random_weight = { base = 0 }

It should prevent the trait from being randomly selected by generated AI empires, and won't show up in your games at all as long as you don't add it to any custom empires you made yourself.

im new to stellaris modding but i have modded elder scrolls and fallout games before. i bought stellaris with the intention of using this mod but the achievements are disable. was wondering if there was a way to re enable achievements for a modded play through like in fallout 4.

3 hours ago, cbvbadlarry said:

im new to stellaris modding but i have modded elder scrolls and fallout games before. i bought stellaris with the intention of using this mod but the achievements are disable. was wondering if there was a way to re enable achievements for a modded play through like in fallout 4.

You have to enable ironman mode when you're creating a game to enable achievements

So I just finished my first game with this mod, and I definitely see the problem with Need to Breed, and I spent a bit of time thinking about how it could be balanced. So these were my ideas

(Warning I have no experience in stellaris moding, so this might be impossible/ insanely hard)

1. First, give conquered species a massive happiness/productivity debuff due to being conquered by breeders.

2. Then make an event or faction, possibly triggered by edict that causes your breeders to start, well breeding, this should provide a massive happiness buff to the conquered species

3. The player now has a bunch of happy pops that need an edict which consumes influence or something

Now, what should the player do with these pops? well, the biggest drawback of the breeders is science output, which is lowered by 90% due to the species trait. This could be countered by taking a species and forcibly relocating them to science producing facilities so that science could be generated, the new species should receive a -100% growth rate or something so that they cant reproduce and the player has to use them selectively. Sorry if this idea is terrible or something, I'm just sort of interested in these kinds of things.

Tweeks to the Ascension paths would be awesome too. The pact with the desire god seems to be a great place to start, on top of people becoming synths that are more like the robots from the alien series, that the one were they are flesh based right? That is what I'd see them be like but super sex obsessed.

On 2/1/2018 at 4:13 PM, cbvbadlarry said:

Nah, if you're using any mods that do anything other than graphical changes, achievements will be disabled.

No way of getting around this as far as I know.

Is it possible in a future update, for a slaver (or anything similar to that "need to breed mechanic") civic, to only keep female xenos alive? (plantoids and fungoids miss out on the fun)

(Also, an opposite civic/mechanic where only males are kept, for those interested in that.)

On 1/30/2018 at 2:20 PM, Raana said:

It still feels kind of awkward continuing to modify someone else's mod though. If we ever set up a merged mod pack compilation of some sort I might do another balance pass on everything, but for now I'm focusing a bit more on building my own mod at the moment.

Disabling the Need to Breed mechanic is pretty simple anyway, and there's a couple ways to go about it. For one, I think the actual event mechanics themselves are an add-on mod to begin with. So disabling that will leave the trait active, but the population replacement feature itself won't trigger. The other way, if you think the base trait itself is too strong, is to open the traits.txt file in any text editor and add the following line of code to the sex_crazed trait:

random_weight = { base = 0 }

It should prevent the trait from being randomly selected by generated AI empires, and won't show up in your games at all as long as you don't add it to any custom empires you made yourself.

If you want to disable the need to breed mechanic all you need to do is not install the optional file, you'll still have the need to breed trait minus the randomly killing off of species, I knew this feature was super retarded and unbalanced which is why its an optional file :smile:

Hey everyone, I'm back, going to continue work on the mod! going to read the suggestions made while I was gone if you have any more just tell me now and I'll see if I'll put them in. Right now I'm going to implement the following features:

-more leader traits (specifically a submissive leader trait)

-negative sexual traits

-hopefully civics

-machine traits (fuck bots here I come)

-any other suggestions that people suggest that I like

Now balancing is definitely the biggest complain everyone has had about this mod. Now I need to be honest I personally like the traits overpowered, makes the game a bit more interesting however I think it would be a good idea to include a balanced version. I think I will make a zip file with 2 versions included. I have no clue how to balance so please give me suggestions thanks!!! The need to breed gameplay feature will be edited for sure, but remember if you want the trait need to breed trait without the killing off of species just don't download the optional addon!

On 1/22/2018 at 10:48 AM, mk40 said:

I don't see how am I leaching off this thread... I just posted my tweaked and updated icons, so OP can incorporate them into its main mod if he wants. And for my last post, I was just pointing out that Raana modifications was better balanced than the original mod as ParadoxalOberver was asking if the mod was balanced.

So, I don't see how what I posted could be a reason to start a thread. For what exactly? It's better to keep everything inside one thread since we're all talking about the same mod.

haha don't worry you're not leaching I do like the icons they are well made good job! I do like them though some of them are not really my taste. I tried to download your modified icons but I can't seem to get the download to work could you add them again :smiley: and would it be possible to separate the layer of the silhouette and the pink background? I feel like the background isn't too consistent with the vanilla game but really nicely done though! I would like to include some of the silhouettes, I'll be sure to credit you! 

3 minutes ago, Abominus said:

My dream would be:

A culture (humans?) that contains only males. They cant reproduce (grow like biologicals) but can only be cloned (build them like robots). To be able to have new pops you have to have a birthing building or sexbots or a sexslave xeno.

Funny enough I was going to try out adding a trait where your pop can only grow if you have an enslaved pop :smiley: so you might be getting exactly that, not too sure how to get it to work but I will see what I can do!

54 minutes ago, theman221 said:

Hey everyone, I'm back, going to continue work on the mod! going to read the suggestions made while I was gone if you have any more just tell me now and I'll see if I'll put them in. Right now I'm going to implement the following features:

-more leader traits (specifically a submissive leader trait)

-negative sexual traits

-hopefully civics

-machine traits (fuck bots here I come)

-any other suggestions that people suggest that I like

Now balancing is definitely the biggest complain everyone has had about this mod. Now I need to be honest I personally like the traits overpowered, makes the game a bit more interesting however I think it would be a good idea to include a balanced version. I think I will make a zip file with 2 versions included. I have no clue how to balance so please give me suggestions thanks!!! The need to breed gameplay feature will be edited for sure, but remember if you want the trait need to breed trait without the killing off of species just don't download the optional addon!

Machine bots please! My favorite ascension path!

25 minutes ago, theman221 said:

haha don't worry you're not leaching I do like the icons they are well made good job! I do like them though some of them are not really my taste. I tried to download your modified icons but I can't seem to get the download to work could you add them again :smiley: and would it be possible to separate the layer of the silhouette and the pink background? I feel like the background isn't too consistent with the vanilla game but really nicely done though! I would like to include some of the silhouettes, I'll be sure to credit you! 

Pink is good tho, it lets me quickly check to see which are which. So I'd keep them or do maybe a purple kind, but don't make them the same the vanilla game for sure please!