Hey guys, I really need help with "fixing" this mod. It's not mine, but the original author has given permission for the mod to be used as seen fit, provided the author/s are credited. With that out of the way, here's the problem.

This mod is the Viral Power Armor from the nexus. A Metroid Samus Aran's power armor mod that was taken from a DLC-sized mod called Fallout 4 '' Hecho en Mexico '' DLC with a custom Power Armor Frame, the armor parts, jet pack, and a couple of bodysuits that you need to equip before you get into the custom PA frame. I must say that this is the very first PA mod of it's kind that I've seen, and its custom frame is like those from Bubblegum Crisis which is really cool.

The issue I have with this mod is that whenever you get into the PA frame (provided you equip Samus Zero Suit or the ring included in the mod) the character's body model always turns into this "naked" model inside the frame. Now this is supposed to be normal as the PA frame's meshes actually have a built-in body mesh inside it that's naked. Once you put on the Viral Power Armor pieces onto the frame, the gaps between the limbs show that built-in body mesh which is unfortunately naked (like the gap between the thigh and the panty shaped area). The problem is that I can't seem to be able to change this naked body's textures to the textures I want (just plain very black body skin textures), so that it doesn't look like a naked chick just stuck her leg into a whole leg armor separate from her torso armor.

I have checked all the files in the Viral PA mod using Outfit Studio and Nifskope and it seems that the custom PA frames point to the material for the default female body textures. There are two frames meshes: ExoSkeleton Frame WNEK.nif (with neck object) and ExoSkeleton Frame.nif (just the frame and the naked body with separate hands as objects). I have tried editing the meshes into pointing towards a different material bgsm file with my own textures, both in Outfit Studio and in Nifskope, but even though both tools show the edited .nif files with the built-in naked bodies using MY black textures instead of just nude, the PA frame itself still looks like there's a naked girl on it when I use it in-game. Honestly, I'm really at a loss after hours of trying to fix this issue with my meager amount of modding knowledge.

I just want the mod's PA frames to have "clothed" textures for the built-in naked body meshes they have so that they don't look so ugly in-game. For some reason, even though the edited textures/paths/files look as intended on tools like the studio or Nifskope, the mod just refuses to alter that nude body on the frame when you actually get into the PA frame in the game. It's driving me crazy.

Now, I'm not actually a modder or a knowledgeable person at such things. I only apply what most tutorials teach. But seeing as the game itself seems to reject my attempts at fixing the issue, I'm here to ask for some better helping hands.

If anybody is willing to help, do try downloading the Viral Power Armor mod I linked above (it's standalone). I might just be too stupid that I have overlooked some things, mostly due to my lack of knowledge on the subject. It's actually a really good mod (the Hecho DLC actually has another custom PA but the guy who ported the Samus PA didn't include that for his standalone Viral Armor mod).

Alan Wake really did something very new with his custom PA frame that I'm actually wondering why not more modders would try adapting his design/models into making other new styles of Power Armors (like Bubblegum Crisis PA's. It's a PA frame nearly the same size as a bodysuit for god's sake! How hard that must have been to make, and he's giving away full permission to use his mod as assets if you only credit his name.).

Now this is getting long. If anybody actually wants to help me, do please give me a hand. I'm willing to download and test any fixes you might have and it will stay confidential if you so prefer. Please and Thank you.

I was able to get it working... mostly.  There are now serious clipping issues with the default base outfit when wearing the PA, so I'm not quite sure which is worse...  Anyway, I tried a number of things with the PA frame itself, like replacing the body, replacing the files it pointed at, etc.  Couldn't get those working.

What did work was removing the default body in bodyslide for the 2 PAs, and replacing it with zero suit nif.  Note that in bodyslide, I hacked this in and didn't actually replace the body itself.  When doing it this way, I deleted the skin body and imported the zero suit and saved - nothing else.  It would require some more work to get the zero suit to be the base body and have it lined up properly in the PA frame itself - this would also remove the clipping issues - but as a POC, I think this is workable for you.

That's a pretty cool armor!  It doesn't fit with my game AT ALL, but I loved seeing the throwback to Nintendo

ScreenShot2.png

Spoiler
17 hours ago, AWP3RATOR said:

I was able to get it working... mostly.  There are now serious clipping issues with the default base outfit when wearing the PA, so I'm not quite sure which is worse...  Anyway, I tried a number of things with the PA frame itself, like replacing the body, replacing the files it pointed at, etc.  Couldn't get those working.

What did work was removing the default body in bodyslide for the 2 PAs, and replacing it with zero suit nif.  Note that in bodyslide, I hacked this in and didn't actually replace the body itself.  When doing it this way, I deleted the skin body and imported the zero suit and saved - nothing else.  It would require some more work to get the zero suit to be the base body and have it lined up properly in the PA frame itself - this would also remove the clipping issues - but as a POC, I think this is workable for you.

That's a pretty cool armor!  It doesn't fit with my game AT ALL, but I loved seeing the throwback to Nintendo

ScreenShot2.png

Yeah, it is a cool armor, that's why I was so frustrated when it had those skin peeps.

That's a great idea, replacing the body in the nif, but I can imagine the reason why it's clipping like that is because if you check the original nif file in Nifskope, the entire frame and body itself is actually in a weird position. Here's a shot of the frame with neck on mine. The legs are bent inwards like the frame wants to go to the toilet or something. I don't even understand how that works or how it came to be and the mod author seems to have pretty much stopped maintaining the mod seeing as it's free for all to use.

screenie test1.PNG

EDIT: Okay, I guess I'm just not learned enough to do this. I can't reproduce what you did with the Zero Suit, but I'm still hoping someone picks this request up and comes up with an appropriate fix. I never would've known 3D modelling was this difficult compared to drawing 2D (which I can actually do but is also difficult in its own sense). I'm not giving up though!

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, nobody has gotten around to doing a proper fix yet. AWP3RATOR's idea is a good proof of concept, but I have no 3D skills nor knowledge to do that myself. As far as I've gotten to poking around the mod's esp file in FO4Edit, it seems that the mod assigns a custom Keyword to the outfit and ring that comes with it, that does the same thing as the vanilla keyword that makes the player model wear a vault suit when inside a power armor frame (since it's barely visible within it). The only difference is that this custom keyword actually points towards the naked body included inside the mod. I don't know how to edit this, but if replacing textures doesn't really work, maybe editing that keyword in the CK to make it point at a different mesh/texture would do the trick instead.

Archived