Squeee!! I made a mod!... oh, and I have a question.

Doodlecute

Okay I'm super excited, I successfully made a race mod. Its simple but I wanted to start small. The mod is a sea elf. Cosmetically its a dark elf with argonian fins. Its not really anything I'll be using since I actually don't like elves, but if people want I'll refine it a little and post it. Though someone will have to tell me how to post it. But more to the point since the test run was a success I wanted to move on to more complicated race ideas that I actually want to use. I of course know the basics such as factoring stats, skills and powers and I figured out how to make a texture; by watching tutorials, asking stupid newbie questions, and analyzing other mods. But to do what I want to do, I need to figure out how to make a mesh. Virtually all my ideas require a new head, horns, tail, ect. but I don't know how to make the meshes necessary to do so. I've tried looking up tutorials and was only  able to find one video but it was such poor audio and visual quality I couldn't follow it. So with my search a failure I turn to newbie questions once again. Does anyone know where a good tutorial is? Videos are preferred I function much better with visual aids. And what tools do I need to make them?

Click downloads tab at top right hand spot on page - click oblivion - then pick adult - regular or lovers with PK if it's for lovers with PK. Depending on what it is just pick it and it'll open a new. Here you'll be given multiple tabs like races - weapons just click the one you need for what you need you would click races and then look for the upload tab found in the right hand area of the page.

Make sure you pay attention and makes sure you pick the right things so that it gets uploaded to the correct area otherwise it might get uploaded to a different area like the skyrim section. But if a mistake is made you can edit the post and change it if needed.

Hi, congrats on making a mod, nice work! You have an awesome attitude.

If you're interested in making meshes, I would love to help you and answer any questions you have. I know everything about blender: the free 3D modelling software most modders use for making meshes. I got into it for mod-making and it's a super useful tool for all kinds of things.

First I want to say:

If you run into any problem or find something you need explained, PM and I will help.

I love it that more modders want to do 3D modelling. It's a lot of work but mostly because it's so hard to find useful and relevant info on how to do it. I enjoy helping a lot.

This is the best place I know for getting the basics of the interface:

https://cgcookie.com/lesson/first-steps-with-blender

Just follow along with the tutorial: when they do something, pause the video and do what they did. You'll be amazed at how quickly you will learn this way.

After getting the interface basics, look for a step-by-step modelling tutorial. Like this one:

Making horns for character customization is a fantastic first project because the scope is so achievable.

I hope you pursue this! good luck.

The Guy in this video, chose some hard way ... in 3ds Max, you just need to create a spline and apply the *lathe modifier*

Yeah, that's a better way. But the purpose here is to learn fundamental basics of modelling, which means getting comfortable rotating, scaling, and moving vertices around. I think that it's also important to know that the fundamentals can do anything; there are tools to make things faster and more powerful, but you don't need any special techniques for different types of object. Once can model, you can model anything.

Thanks, this is great. The videos are a little slow but definitely an effective teacher. Though I've hit another snag I need to ask about. I was toying with some textures and meshes in the constructions set, just brainstorming mostly, but I had the idea to add some hair and eyes to the list of options. I kinda know how to do this as I watched a video on this already and it was fairly straight forward. Trouble is to add them I need to put them in the folder characters/eyes or /hair but when I looked in my folders the eyes and hair folders simply aren't there. I tried turning on hidden files thinking that would help but I still can't find them. Because of this I began looking deeper and found several folders aren't showing up. So my question is simple, how do I access these folders?

Thanks, this is great. The videos are a little slow but definitely an effective teacher. Though I've hit another snag I need to ask about. I was toying with some textures and meshes in the constructions set, just brainstorming mostly, but I had the idea to add some hair and eyes to the list of options. I kinda know how to do this as I watched a video on this already and it was fairly straight forward. Trouble is to add them I need to put them in the folder characters/eyes or /hair but when I looked in my folders the eyes and hair folders simply aren't there. I tried turning on hidden files thinking that would help but I still can't find them. Because of this I began looking deeper and found several folders aren't showing up. So my question is simple, how do I access these folders?

It seems to be in the bsa-archive, but I never did it (eyes, hair,...,races).

758aa3f847009a41783a902e1b66e0ef.jpg

The Guy

Yeah, that's a better way. But the purpose here is to learn fundamental basics of modelling, 

understood.

I remember I was really excited the first time I used CS to change things in my game some years ago. It's even better the first time you manage to make your own meshes and put them ingame.

But if you are looking for a good tutorial, you NEED to complete this one, for me there was a before and after. Check every single part of that tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZcQ0CqQULI

Once you learn the details you can see this one and so on.

Archived