About Fallout 4 Updates from Bethesda.

On 3/25/2018 at 3:31 PM, mudhutwarrior said:

Thanks for the thoughtful response.  I didn't see that angle but I think it would have been better for bethesda to work with the modders rather than split the community and create tension.  At least in the long wrong it would have added loyalty to the brand.  But I am not a sociopath CEO so I may be wrong. :smile:

You are most welcome. ^^  I agree, the whole situation is far from optimal.  I don't think this was gone about the right way, but I also couldn't really tell you what the right way IS. 

These things are often FAR more complicated then they look from the outside.  The way companies and consumers can interact is a mess of rules and conditions that honestly make no freaking sense, and half the time I don't think even the executives in charge know just what they can or cannot do.  For an example, I'll cite a situation that occurred in another fandom.  When a group of fans creating a "My Little Pony" fighting game (you read that right) got a tad too loud and prominent, raising money so they could get a proper game engine for the project, Hasbro came in and shut them down.  Months into the project, a good chunk of the programming done, and constant updates as the project kept the fandom up-to-date on their progress.......and now that they were at the final stretch, THAT is when Hasbro bursts in and shuts them down.  Thing is, this wasn't a malicious or timed attack on Hasbro's part. As it turns out, many of the people at Hasbro were aware of the project from the start......and the honestly DIDN'T want to interfere.  Heck, as far as anyone can tell, they didn't PLAN on interfeering.  Their brands survive because they have built a connection and trust with their fans, and striking down a labor of love like that is just BAD BUSINESS.  Not to mention, the show creators were actually EXCITED by the prospect of the game.....but still Hasbro took legal action and ordered a cease and desist.  Why?  Turns out, copyright and brand laws are COMPLICATED.  The moment the project started collecting funds in a way that made the public take notice, Hasbro was FORCED to act.  Turns out, if you fail to defend your copyright when it is infringed upon in certain ways, you can LOSE IT.  Hasbro was forced to act, or else their right to the brand would be contested under the law. It was either bring down the hammer and kill the project on the spot, or things would have gotten very, VERY messy for everyone involved. 

Even still, many companies are still willing to whistle innocently and look the other way when fans start doing things that mess with their brands, even on a financial level (third-party Transformers toys, kickstarters for unofficial merchandise or projects, people basically charging for fanmade content through Patreon tiers, etc).  The moment some of their investors notice and throw a big enough fuss, however, and they will scramble to take action.  Because they HAVE to.  Basically, the business world is complicated, and how companies can or cannot interact with their fans is a mess of confusing laws and policies that were made before fans started getting so ambitious.  I honestly am not sure they COULD work with the modders in a way that would make everybody happy, even if they wanted to.  We just don't know what that would entail, or the policies involved. And let's not forget, that "they" I speak of is actually a massive company, with many divisions coming at problems from different angles and no real one person or group having 100% control over how things will go down.  As much as I may speak of it like one, a company is not a person; it's a hodgepodge of people, half of whom never seem to know just what the other half is doing or thinking.  Honestly, it's a miracle they managed to get THIS far in their outreach attempts.

In short......this shit be complicated, and hurts my brain. ><

Accidentally forgot to launch steam before launching F4SE.

It updated Fallout before I could stop the update process and broke my Fallout.

I HAVE SET IT TO ONLY UPDATE ON LAUNCH.

Why doesn't STEAM allow me to NOT update games AT ALL.

Pahhh.... the pain is real.

And THIS!!!!!

On 6-4-2018 at 12:44 AM, Halstrom said:

I wouldn't mind so much if they were actually fixing the thousands of bugs and errors, but they are just adding stupid creation club content

If you accidently launch through steam and the update starts, Exit steam, by right clicking on the tray icon so that it completely closes, immediately and it will stop the update and return it to pending.

Too late for you I know, but info for the future.

Also F4SE has been updated, if you don't see the new file info them refresh the page

5 hours ago, Ghostman7nz said:

If you accidently launch through steam and the update starts, Exit steam, by right clicking on the tray icon so that it completely closes, immediately and it will stop the update and return it to pending.

Too late for you I know, but info for the future.

Also F4SE has been updated, if you don't see the new file info them refresh the page

Good to know.  What you DON'T want to do is panic and reboot your computer.  Totally fucked my FO4 and NMM install.  I managed to recover but it took a while.

• 2 weeks later...

The Con's are outweighing the Pro's

My issue was knowing this stuff would happen. I set my game up so it never gets updates - if I try to start it through steam it wants to install it. Plus I run steam in offline mode when possible.

Unfortunately once I found out about some newer things like MCM being available it was TOO late!. Creation club was out and wreaking havok as mentioned, so even if I was to re-install, it would be more pain than gain. So I sit on my old version with mods lacking some nice features now available.

The internet is convenient - allows constant 'patching' and meddling with files, unlike the old days when a disk needed to work out of the box......

The system is constantly abused with the new 'Windows' platform leading the charge. I must learn to adapt to the changes, but I don't have to like it!  My Sims 3 are all on disks and not tied to the internet/Origin in anyway...  It would seem we are around 7 years into this new corporate mindset and I have a gut feeling it won't get any better.

On 4/8/2018 at 4:25 PM, cleavagesweat said:

so they are still making everyone DL the CC stuff even though we don't buy it????????

They want to make it so that it is instantaneously available to the person that purchases it. "We" are not their target audience.  I would say less than 10% of the people who play FO4 have even heard of FO4Edit, but the users of LL, I would say about 90% have heard of it and about 60% use it. 

However, someone (either a Baby Boomer (unlikely) or a Millennial because....naturally my grossly over characterized but convenient way of generalizing  people into categories  if they fit or not  generation X would never do such a thing) with an MBA said "Hey, lets make easy money off this whole Mod thing"   At least they have learned the lesson of Star Wars Galaxies (SWG) and have not put in "New Game Enhancements" to appeal to "casual" gamers.

On an unrelated note, how long is too long to hold a grudge against Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) for ruining what was one of the most awesome online games ever, SWG?

NGE? Pft... I left the game long before that clusterfuck, after they introduced the mess that was the hologrind. Suddenly, keeping your character geared became a chore where you had to scour the whole galaxy just to find quality equipment because everyone was grinding through all the professions in the hopes of unlocking the ability to create a Jedi character. You had to master two professions to do that, but which two professions varied from character to character. They were chosen randomly and you didn't know which ones it was. As soon as someone figured out that part, the game's economy went to shit. Suddenly your favorite crafters were no longer armorers or weaponsmiths, and as a TKM I had to replace my vibroknucklers quite often. Having to find new weapon/armor shops every few days got old real fast. But I digress...

On 4/18/2018 at 8:23 AM, steelpanther24 said:

On an unrelated note, how long is too long to hold a grudge against Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) for ruining what was one of the most awesome online games ever, SWG?

On 4/18/2018 at 10:14 AM, PerfidiousPantsuPincher said:

NGE? Pft... I left the game long before that clusterfuck, after they introduced the mess that was the hologrind. Suddenly, keeping your character geared became a chore where you had to scour the whole galaxy just to find quality equipment because everyone was grinding through all the professions in the hopes of unlocking the ability to create a Jedi character. You had to master two professions to do that, but which two professions varied from character to character. They were chosen randomly and you didn't know which ones it was. As soon as someone figured out that part, the game's economy went to shit. Suddenly your favorite crafters were no longer armorers or weaponsmiths, and as a TKM I had to replace my vibroknucklers quite often. Having to find new weapon/armor shops every few days got old real fast. But I digress...

As Star Wars nerds and lovers, we have the right to hold that grudge forever. Both of you are on point concerning the outcome of that change and how it affected those of us whom likely weren't 'Jedi-whores'. I had already changed from a Professional Dancer to Bounty Hunter since players were using macros to 'automate' the profession. As mentioned, once the scramble began, I had problems finding droids to do missions (2 different types were needed to find the quest target), and was tempted to become a Jedi Hunter, but basically lost interest thereafter. Still have my disks though :smile:

screenShot0124.thumb.jpg.e1b39a9872c6d2b62d11be02846c68f4.jpgscreenShot0210.thumb.jpg.e509dd58ade4fe67a175056f8b55f3e1.jpgscreenShot0229.thumb.jpg.7d6a210beb4747b38677a2291324e700.jpg

Iss'Ko - Imperial - MASC - Dancer, Bounty Hunter, Disgruntled Customer

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/90581-star-wars-and-the-mayan-calendar/

11 hours ago, landess said:

As Star Wars nerds and lovers, we have the right to hold that grudge forever. Both of you are on point concerning the outcome of that change and how it affected those of us whom likely weren't 'Jedi-whores'. I had already changed from a Professional Dancer to Bounty Hunter since players were using macros to 'automate' the profession. As mentioned, once the scramble began, I had problems finding droids to do missions (2 different types were needed to find the quest target), and was tempted to become a Jedi Hunter, but basically lost interest thereafter. Still have my disks though :smile:

Iss'Ko - Imperial - MASC - Dancer, Bounty Hunter, Disgruntled Customer

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/90581-star-wars-and-the-mayan-calendar/

That brings me back to FO4 and their far too often updates.  It can be worse, and so far BS has largely left enough of the game mechanics to allow me to manually fix the mods that conflict....though................. I still have about 20 bad conflicts with my current load of 155 active mods, so I save often because of the CTDs.   I figure by the time i fix them all, BS will update it again, FO4SE will update again and I will have to do it all over again.   Hmmmmmm...   I wonder if a mod that takes FO4edit output, then goes through each one, allowing the user to decide which conflict wins.   That way, you won't have to "fix" each one manually.

Oh and thanks for bringing up memories of SWG with the screen shots. 

• 3 weeks later...

I remember stopping playing Fallout 4 back in November 2017 due to the constant updates that ruined F4SE and all the mods.

Five months later, i return to make a very simple question: Is it safe to play this game now?????

Are there still updates that breaks the mods?

Have the mods updated to the latest Fallout 4 version?

Are the main sex mods (four-play) still struggling with the game's updates?

I'd appreciate if anyone gives me a responsible answer about this frustrating issue:/

19 hours ago, Falloutersexy said:

I remember stopping playing Fallout 4 back in November 2017 due to the constant updates that ruined F4SE and all the mods.

Five months later, i return to make a very simple question: Is it safe to play this game now?????

I'd appreciate if anyone gives me a responsible answer about this frustrating issue:/

It is ALWAYS safe to play,you just don't let game update itself on Steam and you won't have problems,not even sure which version is out there now,don't care,updating only when i am really bored.

Yes of course every update still breaks some mods,but even then,they are patched quickly.

On 5/12/2018 at 8:26 AM, Falloutersexy said:

It's been a week or so since the last update and most mods have been updated to work with the current version.  There is a new animation handler created that is still in alpha but replaces four play and has patch file so the four play mods will work with it. search for advanced animation framework either here or on nexus.

• 2 weeks later...

Goodness! Thank you for the warning!

I just barely managed to prevent my Steam client from screwing me over once more. It had already scheduled the FO4 update, I prevented it with only 21 minutes to spare. Now it'll be another couple days of walking on eggshells until all the mods I need get updated.