GoG, better than steam or disc?

tolerance

For a while now my disc copy has had a rather noticeable crack, the more It spins the more I'm sure it will break. I've resorted to a cracked exe. (yes, I know, bad)

I have the steam copy, but that seems to have some issues, especially with archive invalidation/redirection.

So Does anyone use the Good old Games version of oblivion? does It have the same problems as the steam one?

I feel like the cracked exe can not be good for the stability of the game and dream of a day where i could play 2 hours strait without crashes.

So, GoG version worth buying the game a third time?

As far as I can tell, multiple installs of the game don't do so well, particularly with tes4/5edit finding the right files, so I'd like to be sure that It's worth the hassle.

Steam version:

oblivion and steam not in C:program files  (archive invalidation, OBSE and pluggy often does not work right )

No Nexus Modmanager

And archive invalidation/redirection you can do manually.  You need a empty bsa file, put it in your data folder, and add the entry in your Oblivion ini.  

You can use the ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.7z from my yellow Link below.

----------------------

I have Oblivion disc version ( Base Game, SI and other dlcs). I can play many hours without CTD, or several days without CTD. All esm, esp cleaned, about 180 active esm/esp )

Steam version:

oblivion and steam not in C:program files  (archive invalidation, OBSE and pluggy often does not work right ) Learned that the hard way

No Nexus Modmanager well duh

And archive invalidation/redirection you can do manually.  You need a empty bsa file, put it in your data folder, and add the entry in your Oblivion ini.  

You can use the ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.7z from my yellow Link below.

Using a cracked .exe many mods and other things will not work with it. You need to get ride of the cracked.exe and use the one real one.

Thank you all, I'll try to remember where my original exe is. Then see if that helps. If not, maybe a second try at steam.

Using a cracked .exe many mods and other things will not work with it. You need to get rid of the cracked.exe and use the one real one.

I'm sorry, but that is false.

Unless intentionally and maliciously tempered with, a cracked .exe can run every single mod currently on the internet, and this is true for most games in general; unless the mod author has personally taken steps to ensure incompatibility via some kind of DRM, the cracked version will work.

No, this isn't advocating piracy, this is calling out misinformation. I have not, and do not, advocate piracy in any way.

-V

Mods are made with specific game versions if the cracked .exe is from a older version (most cracked version are old to really old) then the version that the mod was made with it can cause problems with the mod working correctly.

Again, spreading misinformation like it's facts. I have highlighted the problematic part of your statement, which is an assumption you have made and is in fact very much false.

Friend, SI was released back in 2007. Skyrim's last patch was years ago. Both of those have cracked versions readily available on almost every single torrent site you can imagine.

In fact, there are even GoG repacks of Oblivion, which I needn't tell you are of the latest version, include all DLC and are DRM-free (thus, they don't even need to be cracked and are 100% guaranteed to be equal to a bought and paid for copy unless intentionally and maliciously tempered with).

And I know this, because I actually searched before posting, because I do my research.

Once again, I do *NOT* advocate piracy in any way, shape or form. However, I think it extremely important to keep any kind of discussion as close to the truth as possible.

In fact, there are even GoG repacks of Oblivion, which I needn't tell you are of the latest version, include all DLC and are DRM-free

cool so GoG does have a good version, If I find out that the original exe is more stable than cracked, I'll probably buy the GoG version and try tossing its exe  into my oblivon folder instead of searching for another cracked exe.

Archived