Skyrim PC shutdown randomly [Solved]

Keeper00

So I've recently had problems with Skyrim randomly shutting down my PC not a CTD like a full shutdown it also doesn't give any BSOD at all. I have no idea what the problem is I've tried a lot of stuff from updating drivers to uninstalling recent mods. As well as trying many fixes from the Gopher videos. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. here is my rig

Nvidia geforceGTX 1060 6gb

Intel® core i7-4770k cpu @ 3.50ghz

7.89 GB RAM

monitor 1920x1080, 60ghz

750watt psu

I had a problem similar to yours a while ago and it was related to psu.

What is your motherboard?

Try switching your GTX 1060 from the slot x16 to x8, just to do a consumption test; if not shut down more, then it may be that it is related to psu's power consumption with your video card, that this is not common problem.

Try also with Heaven Benchmark 4.0 only for stress testing.

Did you test other games or monitor the temperature of the components? If not, use the CPUID HW Monitor to monitor temperatures and keep an eye on the processor temperature.

Are you using a custom processor cooler or is it the standard cooler/box?

its a standard cooler box and yes I have tried other games it also happens on fallout 4 but any other games it runs fine on even something as graphics heavy as For Honor. I've also usually only got a temp of around high 30s or mid-40s celsius. Also, I'm not super tech-savvy what do you mean switch slots from 16-8?

I experienced same problem many years ago. It was because of low PSU power. When i buy more powerful PSU, random shutdowns is gone. During games, the power consumption is very high, and, if your psu (cheap and Chinese) have not enough power, your PC just shut down.
Btw, what psu brand do you have?

In case it is just to change the video card slot from bus 16x to 8x. The intent is to reduce the power consumption of your video card, but do it only with the help of someone who is a professional or understands the procedure.

And I'll give you some advice, be careful because my 16x slot has stuck, because of these shutdowns. Now I only use the 8x without problems, besides the FPS is little lost, maybe 1 or 2 FPS's.

Might want to check your fans also.  Only time my PC ever shut down on it's own like that was my last computer where one of the fans burned out.  Eventually it overheated and fried the CPU.  For some reason the bios fan warnings never started displaying anything until it was already too late.

I have to concur with others who have mentioned power related issues. I had a similar issue last year: in a nutshell the overvoltage protection on my hx1000i was tripping. I eventually traced the problem to a faulty pci-e cable that was plugged into the graphics card. Replacing the cable resolved the issue.

seems like PSU is dying...

It only happens with Skyrim or also with other games (and if also with other games are they "heavy" games aswell) ?

A good way to check if your PSU is dying or not is to check the voltages in BIOS or any program that can do that and check if those voltages are changing constantly (specially in the 12V rail")

All of the above are good possibilitys. Additional things you can check is playing without any ENB graphic presets. Are you trying to overclock your GPU ? 

Perhaps you are using the software that came with the GPU to overclock it and not know its overclocking.

All of the above are good possibilitys. Additional things you can check is playing without any ENB graphic presets. Are you trying to overclock your GPU ? 

Perhaps you are using the software that came with the GPU to overclock it and not know its overclocking.

Normally when its GPU problem the computer does not shut down but only the screen in most cases (only in extreme situation when you GPU is consuming too much power) but that doesnt seem to be the case since the 1060 is "power" friendly and im considering that the OP's PSU is a good one with decent voltage in the 12V rail.

About the GPU software, 80% of the most cases are that they not shutdown but when you turn on the computer it "freaks" out, not booting in this case.

Ofc all those things can be a possibility but in general cases like these are that PSU is dying or something "fried" in the motherboard connections.

Archived