Dark Investigations - Voice Acting Project

Athstai

Mod is good so far, I have not really considered doing any voice acting and have not done any for a very long time but I wouldn't mind giving a smaller role a shot. (Or maybe a bigger one if the voice fits and I have the time).

Male, (British)English accent.

Send me a few test lines to record and see if you like them or not.

The text really does not matter that much for the first sample, as I just want to hear which tone, accent, intonation and record quality you have to figure out if it fits you prefered role :)

But here is one sample line: "But first I had to prove my loyalty. He demanded I sacrifice my firstborn son.  Naturally I agreed. I mean, who wouldn't have?"

• 2 weeks later...

I shall bump you with a voice sample for Tursam... now of course, as an already established voice actor in machinima I can alter pretty much anything about the performance, but this was just my impression. Sound quality would also be a bit higher in the full recordings as this was just a test run with no post production.

https://soundcloud.com/hideyoshi-toyotomi/tursam

Thanks for the sample :) The record quality is excellent and you seem to have a nice acting skill, so that's perfect.

I would like to flesh out Tursam's character a little bit more, as he may sound a bit too educated/sophisticated but I don't think this will be a problem. So if you are interested the role is yours.

Here is what I have in mind for Tursams role: Tursam is often like a petulant boy, a bit choleric, feels always superior even through he is somewhat naive, and is clearly narcistic. Your voice sample showed the arrogant side of him (but as I mentioned maybe a bit too "wise" sounding, he isn't the mastermind behind everything after all :) ), other lines would reveal his other facets like the choleric/petulent one in "Don't call me boy!" or the sulking when he complains about the trip, that Shydra isn't training him or the bad food in the prison.

Indeed, I'd agree. I'd imagine he'd be trying his damnest to sound domineering and what not during the "negotiation scene", but beyond that I'll turn down the smarts and turn up the "immature" a notch or two. I have something especially in mind for his "Don't call me boy!" moments.

I'm normally cast in "evil overlord" type roles... can't you tell? hahaha...

Indeed, I'd agree. I'd imagine he'd be trying his damnest to sound domineering and what not during the "negotiation scene", but beyond that I'll turn down the smarts and turn up the "immature" a notch or two. I have something especially in mind for his "Don't call me boy!" moments.

I'm normally cast in "evil overlord" type roles... can't you tell? hahaha...

I imagine. Your voice fits quite well to the evil master mind. But there are none in the early chapters yet (the smartest slavers in the first two chapters were Wormos and Shydra), so that is your chance to expand your acting spectrum a bit with Tursam :)

I would like to have at least one chapter between reusing a voice for a main character (and the actor should be able to alter it enough) and since I'm pretty sure the person behind everything won't reveal himself in the next chapter already, you might want to apply for his role once the mod gets that far.

As for Tursam: Stand by, I will PM you the lines and details in a bit. 

Hello, Athstai!

I was just checking in and seeing how the voice acting is going since I am

very eager to play the second chapter.

Seems alot of people have applied, just wondering: Have you updated the topic's first post?

I'd love to be able to see when every role is completed or applied for.

I hope it's not too much to ask, I check in everyday on your Dark Investigations mod,

hoping that another version is released.

Thank you alot for this wonderful mod and I wish you the best of luck for the future of it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Check this video see how i sound you can feel free to talk to me in person if wish to find out how i really sound, please consider me and contact me thanks :) 

I am English from London and microphone is has good quality that is all i can say about my gear really and me for now.

Thanks for taking me into consideration.

I can apply to any MALE role. I will edit my post after my recording is done.
My voice can take many different ... uh ... "Sound Sets?"

PS.
I am German, but as far as I know my accent is not too bad...

EDIT 1:

Can you give me some lines to say?
I have a strong imagination but it fails when it comes to stuff like that.

EDIT 2:

Yep step 1 THINK before posting and post what you want to say.

I sing in a choir in my school, a bass voice. But i can climb up untill i reach Tenor regions. So my voice can be used pretty much everywhere.

BUT. My mic has not the best quallity and for some reasons it records my voice higher than it usually is

Check this video see how i sound you can feel free to talk to me in person if wish to find out how i really sound, please consider me and contact me thanks :) 

I am English from London and microphone is has good quality that is all i can say about my gear really and me for now.

The voice is fine and the record quality sounds decent too. The third important feature would be acting, which one can't judge from a "causal speech" example, but that's not an issue we will find out sooner or later ;) However you should decide which role you want to voice, check out the first page and decide which actor you feel most comfortable with. It really depends on a lot of factors, like how much time you want to invest.

All roles makred as open are up for grabs, with the exception of Tursam which is still kinda reserved atm for another actor.

I can apply to any MALE role. I will edit my post after my recording is done.

My voice can take many different ... uh ... "Sound Sets?"

PS.

I am German, but as far as I know my accent is not too bad...

EDIT 1:

Can you give me some lines to say?

I have a strong imagination but it fails when it comes to stuff like that.

EDIT 2:

Yep step 1 THINK before posting and post what you want to say.

I sing in a choir in my school, a bass voice. But i can climb up untill i reach Tenor regions. So my voice can be used pretty much everywhere.

BUT. My mic has not the best quallity and for some reasons it records my voice higher than it usually is

Non english accents are usually a problem, because they only work out if they fit to the role, so are intended. For minor roles it's not a show stopper, but for the bigger roles it gets more tricky. But let's see how strong your accent is first. The example lines really depend on what role (and therefore personality) you intend to voice, but here are two for the crazy murderer inamate:

"But first I had to prove my loyalty. He demanded I sacrifice my firstborn son.  Naturally I agreed. I mean, who wouldn't have?"

"So I raised my dagger, but in the last moment he stopped me and said: "Look, you need to hold it that way so it can pierce the heart"."

Is it okay if i record my voice with my cellphone mic function?

The files are stored in .3gp format I think but I'm sure they can be converted

to .wav files...

Anyway, I'll record some voice lines today and when I arrive home i'll post them here.

Sure, mobile phone is fine, what really counts in the end is the record quality of course. But there is not reason not to give it a try :) No worries about the format, those can be easily converted.

The voice is fine and the record quality sounds decent too. The third important feature would be acting, which one can't judge from a "causal speech" example, but that's not an issue we will find out sooner or later ;) However you should decide which role you want to voice, check out the first page and decide which actor you feel most comfortable with. It really depends on a lot of factors, like how much time you want to invest.

All roles makred as open are up for grabs, with the exception of Tursam which is still kinda reserved atm for another actor.

Thanks for replying, I would like to give the Whiterun Prison Door Guard a go a few lines will do :) and i will see what i am able to do. If there are any other roles that you will be putting up in future I will be sure to put my name down.

Thanks. Mowglibear :)

The door guard is pretty straight forward, no crazy or twisted character and just a few lines. So go ahead and give it a try :)

"Ah, you again. You may pass."

"Just a second. I will let you out."

"Anray told me that you have permission to enter and visit the inmates whenever you want to, Dragonborn."

"Just be careful, those prisoners aren't in here for stealing sweet rolls."

"I'm sorry, but I cannot allow you to enter this area. The prisoners here are forbidden to see or speak to visitors."

"I'm sorry, but your companion will have to wait outside. Only authorized guards may enter. Jarl's Orders."

• 2 weeks later...

A nice touch for a bonus Athstai.  Nothing I would have expected at all, which made it a lot more enjoyable.  That pretty much shows, even though it is still going in a general direction, it can go to other places that are different from the usual.  It was nice to see Tursam get some payback for his bad deeds, even if his deeds are fun to watch.  Nice to see your work progressing  again.  Oh yeah, and thanks.

• 6 months later...

I don't know if this is still active, but if it is and if you still need someone for the voice acting I could offer myself for every male voice. I'm austrian (not austraLian ;)) so I might have some kind of accent but I don't think it's that hard ^^ So send me some lines if you're interested :)

I don't know if this is still active, but if it is and if you still need someone for the voice acting I could offer myself for every male voice. I'm austrian (not austraLian ;)) so I might have some kind of accent but I don't think it's that hard ^^ So send me some lines if you're interested :)

Don't know if he's still watching the forums here, he had a disagreement with something that was done here and while the ultimate decision matched his wants he moved to his own board before that decision was made.

http://dark-investigations.blogspot.com

New release version just out (with more voice actors but he still needs more so please go and help).

• 6 months later...

I hope your work on this isn't finished.  The best quest mod I've come across and things left off in such a promising direction.  I can't imagine getting the voice actors is an easy thing.  I also hope you're doing well and enjoying yourself.  Take care Athstai.

Archived