A tool or a mod that helps closing skyrim if it freezes?

znaroks

Hi, I was wondering, if there was a mod or a tool that would enable me to close skyrim once it freezes in game. For me, if skyrim freezes for whatever reason, it is not possible to close it, period.

I can alt tab, open task manager, ALT + F4, nothing works besides restarting my computer, which i annoying. I can close other windows, while skyrim is frozen, but skyrim is just stuck there.

Guest MonsterFish

As I said in another thread, if this happens and you have no other choice, cntrl-alt-delete and press 'Logout' or 'Switch User' which should force a lot of applications to close (Including skyrim) but then press Cancel when it asks for confirmation.

You could also try a fake windowed screen if you haven't already, but AFAIK there are no tools to do it.

As I said in another thread, if this happens and you have no other choice, cntrl-alt-delete and press 'Logout' or 'Switch User' which should force a lot of applications to close (Including skyrim) but then press Cancel when it asks for confirmation.

You could also try a fake windowed screen if you haven't already, but AFAIK there are no tools to do it.

Erm.... "Logout or Switch User?!!!!!?". What about just Ctrl-Alt-Del 'Start Task Manager', navigate to the TESV.exe in the process tab, select it, and press the 'End Process' button? Worked for my grand father, and his father and they lived in a match box.

Guest Suited Prawns

Try opening task manager then using the alt + tab preview windows and the arrow keys to highlight skyrim then hit the del key

Guest MonsterFish

Erm.... "Logout or Switch User?!!!!!?". What about just Ctrl-Alt-Del 'Start Task Manager', navigate to the TESV.exe, and press the 'End Process' button. Worked for my grand father, and his father and they lived in a match box.

Because they said they can't open task manager.

Ah shit I misread 'Can' as 'Can't'

Erm.... "Logout or Switch User?!!!!!?". What about just Ctrl-Alt-Del 'Start Task Manager', navigate to the TESV.exe, and press the 'End Process' button. Worked for my grand father, and his father and they lived in a match box.

Because they said they can't open task manager.

Bollocks.

Yeah okay I misread 'Can' as 'Can't' so... My bad.

No problem, actually the Bollocks was to the situation not your statement. If it is actually locked and no way to get to the task manager, its probably more likely to be a driver issue, (i.e. they are running in native full screen and its just locked). However if alt tabbing and ctrl-alt-del is working I can't see a reason why it wouldn't close on the task manager. (Actually the always on top thing is probably the first thing I do on any windows install for the task manager). 

Erm.... "Logout or Switch User?!!!!!?". What about just Ctrl-Alt-Del 'Start Task Manager', navigate to the TESV.exe in the process tab, select it, and press the 'End Process' button? Worked for my grand father, and his father and they lived in a match box.

Why do you respond if you can't even read the OP:

I can alt tab, open task manager, ALT + F4, nothing works besides restarting my computer, which is annoying. I can close other windows, while skyrim is frozen, but skyrim is just stuck there.

If I can open task manager, obviously I can target the TESV.exe, but ending the application does not work. I can end any application except skyrim when it's frozen. 

I'll try the switch to another user-one tho, thanks for that

Why do you respond if you can't even read the OP:

I can alt tab, open task manager, ALT + F4, nothing works besides restarting my computer, which is annoying. I can close other windows, while skyrim is frozen, but skyrim is just stuck there.

If I can open task manager, obviously I can target the TESV.exe, but ending the application does not work. I can end any application except skyrim when it's frozen. 

I'll try the switch to another user-one tho, thanks for that

"Why do you respond if you can't even read the OP:"

Ermm, because I can, and there is nothing you can do to stop me, and I'll do it again I tell ya!!!!!.

No mods will help you on this problem because it is an OS problem, beyond the TESV.exe file.

Probably an internal infinite loop or locked to a handle for a graphic resource (may happen with some versions of ENB.)

If you can (as you said) alt-tab or go to the desktop, or start the task manager, then:

1) Run the CMD command (better as administrator, depending on your OS version.)

2) Type tasklist, this will give you a list of the running processes, and there is a number before each process

3) Search for a line similar to:

tesv.exe                  12345 Console              2022,073 K

4)Type: Taskkill /PID 12345 /F

Of course the number "12345" has to be the one of Skyrim executable.

First of all you CAN use the taskmanager to exit Skyrim if it freezes, even if the window doesn't show up on top. Just as someone mentioned above, you will have to use button combinations and the arrow keys to navigate to Skyrim and then close it, using the preview window to check if you're doing right. It works. :P 

Second, as CPU mentioned, cmd works fine too.

And third: Skyrim shouldn't even freeze like that at all. ^^"

I usually use Ctrl alt delete then find the .exe in the task manager screen and force kill it then wait for the little screen to pop up to and click ok sometimes it might take more then one time to get it to work. I have the task manager locked at the bottom of my computer screen. If the task manager screen shoots off the screen and you can't get to it. Close it and open it again and it should now appear of the screen. If nothing works then it could be your version of whatever windows you are using.

Using WIn10 I have found that Ctrl+Alt+Del and logout and login again is the fastest way to deal with this.

Win10 is really quick and since it doesn't restart the whole PC it usually takes me 2-3 seconds before I can start Skyrim again. 

Chasing the Task Manager and then chasing the process to kill usually takes me longer.

Archived