Unique Armor Shape for Player?

I notice there is a Unique Player mod already, and BodySlide, but as far as I know, I don't think Bodyslide-generated armor will adjust depending on the body it is on. In Skyrim that didn't happen until we had RaceMenu in-game sliders. So correct me if I'm wrong but there's no way to currently do that, right?

If it is not the "Original Armor" or "Replacer Armor", then create in the OS morphs as you like. You can use other morphs for each armor.
It works when only the player use the armor.
Another way I do not know at the time.

Uhm, I don't understand. What?

It is possible to do, but would require the following:

1. A mesh filepath that is specific to the player character (exactly like the Unique Player filepath, but for armors)

2. Every armor in Outfit Studio would require a separate entry that points to the "player only" filepath.

3. An ESP that adds those armors into game -or- a script that can call the select player only meshes dynamically.

Hope this helps!

It is possible to do, but would require the following:

1. A mesh filepath that is specific to the player character (exactly like the Unique Player filepath, but for armors)

2. Every armor in Outfit Studio would require a separate entry that points to the "player only" filepath.

3. An ESP that adds those armors into game -or- a script that can call the select player only meshes dynamically.

Hope this helps!

Yikes. I was hoping it'd be easier than in Skyrim. Hopefully someone provides a framework to do this sooner or later.

Well if we could generate all the meshes in a separate custom folder with bodyslide, it would help a great deal...

We would only have to create the mod part and copy the meshes in their custom folder :/

That's fairly easy to do. The hard part is setting up the game to point to those files for the player character. I believe the CK can do it, though I don't know exactly how. But even then, every downloaded outfit would have to be modified as well.

• 1 month later...

Just a random thought, but would it not be easier to leave the player armor paths as is, but in turn create a seperate path for NPCs that points to vanilla meshes? This would in effect still make player armor meshes unique.

Isn't this what Skyrim PCEA uses as well? It then means mods update what the player is using and the NPCs use a different path and are unaffected. Means they need changing manually in many cases I guess and is probably a logistical nightmare to change...

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

Abbreviation key (same as xEdit's reference):

ARMA = Armor Addon record

ARMO = Armor record

OMOD = Object Modification record

COBJ = Constructible Object record

I'm not sure having script dynamically point to a different mesh is possible. I don't recall seeing anything in the papyrus docs for that. I suppose you could use script to detect who is wearing the item and then my method #2 below to dynamically change the attached mod to adjust the body. Perhaps in script code attached to the armor item and run as an OnEquip or something.

I do however see 2 workable solutions with varying difficulty and result:

1. As stated by stucksomewhere, have a new esp pointing to a new armor item that only your desired npc will wear. Along with making a copy of the outfit's BodySlide project with edits to the file/path to point to where your new armor nif goes. (Or you could do a manual build by holding control on the BodySlide build screen and clicking build, and move the file yourself but that's a pain)
  2. Make OMODs that attach to desired item altering the armor index of the ARMO record. Thus causing the index to change and select a different armature (ARMA) which has a different nif load.

In the case of #1.

You would create a new path for your desired armor. Open the project in Outfit Studio and just save as a new project name. On the save as screen, choose your new path and/or filename for the output. You can easily just leave the path alone and specify a different output file. Since it's the same item it sorta doesn't really make sense to move the folder. Then make a new esp (or edit one of your own) and copy the ARMA and ARMO records of the original item. Then edit the ARMA record to point to your new nif location. Make sure that the ARMO record points to your new ARMA record and not the original.

I used part of this method in the port of the Black Talon outfit. So you can take a look at that and dissect it. The pre-made being the ones to look at. The modular records get a bit confusing and are really beyond what you desired to do. They're intended if you had parts of an armor you wanted to show/hide.

In case of #2.

This has some flexibility without the need to have different armor pieces for everyone. You still have the same base item. You then just go to the armor bench and chose the body style you want on it from the mod list. This has the benefit that if the item is in a leveled list you can still get more of them and such. Then adjust the body as you see fit. The Outfit Studio stuff is the same. The more lengthy part is creating the OMOD, COBJ, and ARMO records, and then updating the ARMA with armature indexes.

Quick breakdown:

• You need a set of keywords to use for your mod slot. Types of mod association, and attach point one. You add those to the base armor record. See any ap_ and ma_ keywords for reference.
  • Create the OMOD to change the index. See mod_armor_Metal_Arm_Size_A "Light Armor" and mod_armor_Metal_Arm_Size_C "Heavy Armor" for examples how to set the record. Make note to use the proper references to your keywords so your mod only shows up in the right place.
  • Create the COBJ for your OMOD. Look at co_mod_armor_Metal_Arm_Material_0 for a sample.
  • Create/Copy the ARMA record of the default base for your item. Modify the file path to point to your desired alternate nif.
  • Update the ARMO record to use your keywords and add the armature indexes. See Armor_Metal_ArmLeft "Metal Left Arm" for a sample.

It might be worth noting, that if you go the route of #2 you should for your own sake, make an OMOD that allows you to put back the original index. It won't have that OMOD attached by default (unless you edit the templates and make it) but you can at the least change it back manually if you desired.

Edit: Doh! I didn't realize the original post was from early July. I just saw the last post being recent and responded. -_-

Just a random thought, but would it not be easier to leave the player armor paths as is, but in turn create a seperate path for NPCs that points to vanilla meshes? This would in effect still make player armor meshes unique.

Isn't this what Skyrim PCEA uses as well? It then means mods update what the player is using and the NPCs use a different path and are unaffected. Means they need changing manually in many cases I guess and is probably a logistical nightmare to change...

PCEAr v1 gives player custom armor path and v2 gives NPCS the custom armor path. Both have issues with other mods. Giving the player custom armor path screws mods that change armor values (have to make a patch for the player armor). And giving NPCs a custom armor path has that same issue, on top of which custom NPCs added by other mods need to be patched to use the custom path. In my experience (pcear-requiem patches) it's a lot less work compatibility wise to use custom armor path only for the player.

On a side note, there's another option, too. Honest Abe's armors have body references in them, and Honest Abe offers two versions of each armor:

1.  Replacer (leave that normal)

2.  Stand-Alone (you can do anything with this)

Normally when you build Abe's armors you zap the reference body before building it. But you could leave the reference body. Then you could use FO4Edit to have the stand-alone versions of the armor use slot 33. This would replace the normal body with the reference shape body of the stand-alone armors.

Thus any character using the stand-alone would have the shape used to build the stand-alone (which does not have to be the default shape).

I do this a lot to create a Fallout with 70+ different body shapes. I made my own mod instead of using Abe's for it, but if someone doesn't want to start from scratch they could work with Abe's.

How about switching the armor's shape to different ones with workbench modding?

Concealed armor does this, only it's for armor pieces.

If modders can find a way to do this but for body armor, a simple version of player-only/specific-npc-only unique armor shape can be achieved.

the vanilla game already makes use of this feature. when you change armor mods on the vanilla raider armor it changes meshes and textures. making a craftable armor mod to change the shape shouldn't be too hard, most of the CROSS armor and clothing series uses this already iirc.

If modders can find a way to do this but for body armor, a simple version of player-only/specific-npc-only unique armor shape can be achieved.

the vanilla game already makes use of this feature. when you change armor mods on the vanilla raider armor it changes meshes and textures. making a craftable armor mod to change the shape shouldn't be too hard, most of the CROSS armor and clothing series uses this already iirc.

This is same as I referred to in #2 of my post above. Create a custom mesh. Make a mod for armor, tell armor to use that mesh when using that mod.

This is same as I referred to in #2 of my post above. Create a custom mesh. Make a mod for armor, tell armor to use that mesh when using that mod.

Ah most sincere apologize, your post are too technical for my darn brain that i ended up stop reading your post before #2. I did see it now that you mention it.

i'm really sorry about this ^^;

I feel like the best solution would be one that doesn't double the amount of mesh files you have in the data folder.

So when it comes to body weight scaling, the vanilla (and I'm assuming mod armors as well) scale with the base body weight of each character. How possible would it be to include more specific parts of the body in that scaling?

I feel like the best solution would be one that doesn't double the amount of mesh files you have in the data folder.

So when it comes to body weight scaling, the vanilla (and I'm assuming mod armors as well) scale with the base body weight of each character. How possible would it be to include more specific parts of the body in that scaling?

Scaling on certain body parts for player-only can be done now that LM has the advanced body sliders, no need to double the amount of mesh. I'd wager that scaling certain body parts on certain-npc only might be possible in the future. or it might be possible now, i don't know for certain.

However, when it comes to an entirely different look from other npcs (say, non-skimpy for all npcs, skimpy for player only. Not just different scaling for certain body parts between you and npcs), then i'm afraid we have no choice but to use more than one mesh in a data folder. It might be possible though that future version of F4SE could be capable of removing, adding, changing certain parts of pc's armor to be different than any other npcs dynamically when equipped, with only 1 mesh in a data folder.

Scaling on certain body parts for player-only can be done now that LM has the advanced body sliders, no need to double the amount of mesh. I'd wager that scaling certain body parts on certain-npc only might be possible in the future. or it might be possible now, i don't know for certain.

However, when it comes to an entirely different look from other npcs (say, non-skimpy for all npcs, skimpy for player only. Not just different scaling for certain body parts between you and npcs), then i'm afraid we have no choice but to use more than one mesh in a data folder. It might be possible though that future version of F4SE could be capable of removing, adding, changing certain parts of pc's armor to be different than any other npcs dynamically when equipped, with only 1 mesh in a data folder.

Has anyone made anything that actually uses the new body sliders in LM? I haven't found any that do yet.

I've run into a few NPC's that have hips for days or beer guts cause of the body scaling innate in their character, whether designed or random. Wouldn't it be possible to add breast sizes to the logic of the body scaling that the game already has in place for when it creates a new actor or for actors already created? Doesn't the game take the base body provided by the mesh files (dictated by what the user has or hasn't done in bodyslide) and then morph them to fit the body data provided for the character? Like for instance, Moe Cronin and Gwen McNamara are more heavyset.

Has anyone made anything that actually uses the new body sliders in LM? I haven't found any that do yet.

I've run into a few NPC's that have hips for days or beer guts cause of the body scaling innate in their character, whether designed or random. Wouldn't it be possible to add breast sizes to the logic of the body scaling that the game already has in place for when it creates a new actor or for actors already created? Doesn't the game take the base body provided by the mesh files (dictated by what the user has or hasn't done in bodyslide) and then morph them to fit the body data provided for the character? Like for instance, Moe Cronin and Gwen McNamara are more heavyset.

Are you by any chance, not a cbbe/bodyslide user? Many body parts can be adjusted in-game since weeks ago thanks to ousnius, caliente and expired, provided that you tick the body morph first before building all outfits and the base body in bodyslide.

Everything related to dynamically scaling a certain body parts based on a value that certain npcs have aren't possible yet (i'd wager this would be possible in heavily modded Skyrim, but i don't know for certain), or at least i don't recall this being done at this time.

...Many body parts can be adjusted in-game since weeks ago thanks to ousnius, caliente and expired, provided that you tick the body morph first before building all outfits and the base body in bodyslide.

Everything related to dynamically scaling a certain body parts based on a value that certain npcs have aren't possible yet (i'd wager this would be possible in heavily modded Skyrim, but i don't know for certain), or at least i don't recall this being done at this time.

FYI, there's currently a bug in which if you build the shapes with that box ticked (creating the *.tri file), the torso won't have blood decals.

You can use LooksMenu mod, but if you try to use the morphs, the morphs will work, but the blood spatter decals will stop working.

...Many body parts can be adjusted in-game since weeks ago thanks to ousnius, caliente and expired, provided that you tick the body morph first before building all outfits and the base body in bodyslide.

FYI, there's currently a bug in which if you build the shapes with that box ticked (creating the *.tri file), the torso won't have blood decals.

You can use LooksMenu mod, but if you try to use the morphs, the morphs will work, but the blood spatter decals will stop working.

Ah. I never really cared about blood decals on bodies in any games. No wonder i didn't noticed this :V

There were mods for unique race body shapes for Skyrim as early as 2012 before Dawnguard was even released.

They were completely functional mods unfortunately they never really took off in popularity since they needed to use assets that were not open permission so it required work on the part of the end user which you guessed it people don't like work.

There was a mod that made it so that each race had its own meshes and 4 separate textures which would be used depending on what the characters "weight" slider was set too.  It made mods like Dynamic Muscle Growth freaking awesome to play with, since your character literally would change muscle maps as they got stronger.

If that description sounds complex that's cause it was and it totally still works today with the exception of not working really well if the player wants to go Vampire Lord Route.

Archived