[FO4 CK] General Help Thread

I'm having an issue trying to track down what is blocking a radiant mission from starting and looking at the quest in CK and checking in console I can't think of an obvious way.

The mission is RRR06 - Randolph Safehouse.

If I use an old save and enter setstage rrr06 100 it will start and generate the dead drop (this seems to be the standard cure for the bugs in this mission chain) however in my current save that does not work, sqs/sqv report the mission as stopped after setstage and the StartQuest or ResetQuest commands doesn't get it going either.

Clearly something is interfering and stopping it from starting but the Global variable doesn't seem to change whether it's running or not, so it would seem there's a variable somewhere else involved but what I'm at a loss with is how to track it down. The RRR06 script fragment is no use and the console help rrr06 0 just brings up the global.

I'm hoping someone can advise how to go about finding the wretched thing

Edit:

I suspect it may be something to do with the disable dead drop perhaps:

; Initialize the quest
kmyQuest.InitializeQuest()

; Disable the dead drop
Alias_DeadDrop.GetRef().Disable()

but I'm not sure how to find out if that has triggered or how to change it

Edited by Slorm
5 hours ago, Slorm said:

I'm having an issue trying to track down what is blocking a radiant mission from starting and looking at the quest in CK and checking in console I can't think of an obvious way.

The mission is RRR06 - Randolph Safehouse.

If I use an old save and enter setstage rrr06 100 it will start and generate the dead drop (this seems to be the standard cure for the bugs in this mission chain) however in my current save that does not work, sqs/sqv report the mission as stopped after setstage and the StartQuest or ResetQuest commands doesn't get it going either.

Clearly something is interfering and stopping it from starting but the Global variable doesn't seem to change whether it's running or not, so it would seem there's a variable somewhere else involved but what I'm at a loss with is how to track it down. The RRR06 script fragment is no use and the console help rrr06 0 just brings up the global.

I'm hoping someone can advise how to go about finding the wretched thing

Edit:

I suspect it may be something to do with the disable dead drop perhaps:

; Initialize the quest
kmyQuest.InitializeQuest()

; Disable the dead drop
Alias_DeadDrop.GetRef().Disable()

but I'm not sure how to find out if that has triggered or how to change it

I have checked a bit that quest. 

The only thing that can stop it from starting is that these characters are taken by other quests / other mods. 

Look in the aliases section:

Desdemona
MrTim

Go into both and check: 

-Allow Reserved

By the way, mark them as optional as well.

-Optional

Aliases will be filled even if another quest or mod has taken them.

I did something like that for Nuka Ride, because the Confidence Man quest happens something similar. If a mod grabs Vadim (like my mod) Confidence Man cannot start anymore, unless you check Allow Reserved.

Edited by JB.

Thanks @JB. I'll check that out and see if I can salvage the save, otherwise I have an older one which is working to fall back on.

Is there a way to check those characters to see what quest might have grabbed them and blocking the alias fill.

I've done a fair bit of checking on this one in the past, it does appear to be a bug, though from what I've seen on Reddit and Steam where it's been reported it's unclear if the users were playing vanilla or with mods.

I first noticed it occurring after installing Sexual Harassment though I'm not convinced it's the cause. The SH NPC comments are a problem as it hides some normal dialogue from NPC's (like "the Bobov Brothers looking for you" no longer works unless you click on a guard) so could affect Drummer Boy but I have it switched off (like the slap) and set Drummer Boy to not eligible to avoid any problems there.

The other thing that I find strange is that I use a seed game from outside the Vault and then add mods. Once it's built I keep a copy for future use if there's been no mod changes and this one I've used two or three time before and it's been 100% reliable, so why it should suddenly bug out this time is a total mystery at present.

EDIT:

I set the check options you suggested and then checked is was operational in xEdit, for Des and Mr Tims but no luck I'm afraid, the wretched thing still doesn't start.

This is becoming most... vexing

Edited by Slorm

I've checked 508ed.sv and 1846b9.sv (Des and Mr T) and they look okay. Mr T only has a few lines with no papyrus scripts attached, Des is a bit lengthier with various aliases but outside of the Kick Out alias again no papyrus scripts attached. I checked back with an earlier save where rrr06 will fire and aside from Des having a few extra aliases for the Raidroad start it all looks pretty much the same.

I was stuck looking at it on screen, SCOF doesn't seem to work for some reason. Hopefully I haven't missed anything

I'm beginning to think I'm flogging a dead horse here, maybe its just a random bug that can't be fixed

3 hours ago, Slorm said:

I've checked 508ed.sv and 1846b9.sv (Des and Mr T) and they look okay. Mr T only has a few lines with no papyrus scripts attached, Des is a bit lengthier with various aliases but outside of the Kick Out alias again no papyrus scripts attached. I checked back with an earlier save where rrr06 will fire and aside from Des having a few extra aliases for the Raidroad start it all looks pretty much the same.

I was stuck looking at it on screen, SCOF doesn't seem to work for some reason. Hopefully I haven't missed anything

I'm beginning to think I'm flogging a dead horse here, maybe its just a random bug that can't be fixed

A desperate measure: 

Mark all such aliases as Optional. 

The quest will start 100%.

StartQuest RRR06

SQV RRR06 

And see what aliases were not filled. This will give us an idea of why they are not being filled.

Edited by JB.

@JB.

Right, I think we're getting somewhere. I haven't checked this in detail yet. The first set is with all aliases set to Optional (with Des and MrT also set to Allow Reserved). Sorry it's screenshots as SCOF doesn't work

Spoiler

Opt01.jpg.77792462eeeb2ae86e2f611db454fd0c.jpgOpt02.jpg.92c4958534006396b5cdbf5c8f3f971a.jpgOpt03.jpg.4a52525e4a786515ee23f47c873151fd.jpg

I then removed the esp making the change so we can see the vanilla version which doesn't start

Spoiler

vanilla01.jpg.101b83f7fb77df12de4342620a2dab79.jpgvanilla02.jpg.c9fbe3719bd865b714407f877d7163bb.jpg

vanilla03.jpg.cc745fbe2f1c4cf6e5d69ac145a34c2c.jpg

Edited by Slorm

Does anyone happen to know what the requirements are for an SWF image to be displayable on perk details in the Pip-Boy? I can set arbitrary perk SWF files from the base game on my mods' custom perks and they display fine. When I create an SWF of my own and point the perk record to that, I just see a blank space in the Pip-Boy where it should be displayed.

The SWF files are generally valid since I can view them just fine in JPEXS Flash Decompiler or Eolsoft Flash Movie Player. They're each a single-frame of vector art, nothing complicated. They were converted from SVG format using the Windows build of the svg2swf command-line utility. I'm attaching one for inspection in case anyone can spot the problem...

SizeQueenPerk00.swf

Edit: Obviously I'll need to convert them to monochrome. Some side-by-side comparison with decompiled SWF files from the game suggests that they have uniform dimensions, framerate, background color... I guess I should try to conform mine to those parameters and see if any of that is the problem.

Moar edit: I've about run out of threads to pull. I adjusted the dimensions, framerate, compression, signature type, version, background color, etc to match an existing perk image that works, to no avail. I removed the embedded background shape that svg2swf seems to have added as well, but that didn't seem to help either. Short of buying Adobe Animator (assuming they haven't discontinued it entirely), I'm not sure what else to try.

What are other creators using to make their perk images? I suppose I should ask them directly...

Edited by vaultbait

Well, I finally tracked down this shitfaced bug and it's not looking pretty. I'm not sure if it can even be fixed though hopefully @EgoBallistic or @JB. might have a suggestion.

There are 6 aliases that are set N to optional, so by working my way through them I found the two that are causing the problem:

EnemyBosses

EnemyLocationMarker

If these two are set to Optional the mission will fire and is given out as normal by Drummer Boy. The other 4 (including Des and Tims) are fine in vanilla. That's the good news (yeah, here it comes...)

The bad news is that when you get the holotape for the mission it just comes up "Clear the hostiles at ..."  but no location is stated and there's no map marker. This will be I'd suggest because the mission 1 is always University Point so adding the optional flag put a bloody great spanner in the works as it loses the location it needs to be set at.

I've done a fair bit of digging around and there does seem to be problems with University Point (someone suggested it was caused by RRR07 generating a Courser there, but it's not running and I tried completequest rrr07 just to be sure).

The problem in finding the cause now seems to be that there' no was to interrogate the alias. From a vanilla working save I was able to deduce the that Holotape01 is FF00BD84 but sv doesn't work on that, I then tried one of the synths (93220.sv) which in the vanilla tells me it's part of rrr06 alias, but in a save where it won't fire you can't interrogate 93220 because it hasn't been spawned yet. Arghh...

Maybe it's time to jump out of a window or summat.

17 hours ago, Slorm said:

EnemyBosses

EnemyLocationMarker

Those aliases are filled by LocRefType on the EnemyLocation location alias.  So I think the issue is that EnemyLocation isn't getting filled.  This would also explain the "Clear the hostiles at ..." being unfilled.

EnemyLocation is just a placeholder that gets filled by one of the EnemyLocationFirst* aliases.  Whichever of those aliases finds a match will end up filling EnemyLocation.  All of them have the condition GetGlobalValue(RRR06Global) == 0.00 to prevent the aliases filling if the quest is already started.

So just skimming over it I'd guess either there are no locations that match the conditions (all possible locations have been cleared) or somehow that global got set to a nonzero value.

4 hours ago, EgoBallistic said:

Those aliases are filled by LocRefType on the EnemyLocation location alias.  So I think the issue is that EnemyLocation isn't getting filled.  This would also explain the "Clear the hostiles at ..." being unfilled.

EnemyLocation is just a placeholder that gets filled by one of the EnemyLocationFirst* aliases.  Whichever of those aliases finds a match will end up filling EnemyLocation.  All of them have the condition GetGlobalValue(RRR06Global) == 0.00 to prevent the aliases filling if the quest is already started.

So just skimming over it I'd guess either there are no locations that match the conditions (all possible locations have been cleared) or somehow that global got set to a nonzero value.

Sorry Ego, I may be misunderstanding what you're suggesting, but that only occurred (the "Clear the hostiles at ...") after I'd added the optional flag to EnemyBosses and EnemyLocationMarker, in normal vanilla Optional is set to N: (see spoiler) and the mission wont start at all:

Spoiler

VanillaRRR06.jpg.b4e690ed3997baaadca33750688a683a.jpg

AFAIK mission 1 is always University Point, only the ones that follow vary.

The strange thing is that earlier in the game it starts normally and then just locks usually around Butchers Bill 2 but as in this case sometimes earlier, and sometimes not at all and everything will work normally.

The other possibility (assuming University Point is the issue) is that maybe the game itself sometimes kills off the boss randomly, you do occasionally run into dead NPC's but I'm guessing here.

I think this may be insoluble as there doesn't appear to be a way to check the aliases directly if it wont start (if @JB. is correct in assuming the alias has already been filled)

EDIT:

I thought a bit further on what you said and maybe I have misunderstood. Are you in fact suggesting that as the location cannot be filled when Optional is set, that indicates there's an issue with University Point (as that should fill that alias in mission 1)?

I have checked University Point and a Synth Leader (Ref: 93196) does spawn there once you enter, though not attached to any alias

Edited by Slorm

Got back to modding a bit, Fallout4 this time. I have some experience with Papyrus in Skyrim but it's been a little while.
Any idea why such a simple script wouldn't execute? I put this on an Armor object and the Properties are filled correctly, what am I missing?
I added the DamageValue bit just as a test to check if the script is getting triggered at all, which it is not.
The F4SE and F4EE source scripts are located in the right location as well. I mean it just wouldn't compile otherwise.
Though I have a feeling maybe it is something like that, not directly related to the script itself, but some CK shenanigans I am just not aware of.

Spoiler
Scriptname AB_SetMorphOnEquip extends ObjectReference Const

Keyword Property AlteredBody Auto Const Mandatory

String Property Target_Morph Auto Const Mandatory

ActorValue Property Health Auto Const Mandatory

Event OnEquipped(Actor akActor)
	akActor.DamageValue (Health, 5.0)
	BodyGen.SetMorph(akActor, true, Target_Morph, AlteredBody,1)
EndEvent

Event OnUnequipped(Actor akActor)
	BodyGen.SetMorph(akActor, true, Target_Morph, AlteredBody,0)
EndEvent

Edited by Hæretic
50 minutes ago, Hæretic said:

Got back to modding a bit, Fallout4 this time. I have some experience with Papyrus in Skyrim but it's been a little while.
Any idea why such a simple script wouldn't execute? I put this on an Armor object and the Properties are filled correctly, what am I missing?
I added the DamageValue bit just as a test to check if the script is getting triggered at all, which it is not.
The F4SE and F4EE source scripts are located in the right location as well. I mean it just wouldn't compile otherwise.
Though I have a feeling maybe it is something like that, not directly related to the script itself, but some CK shenanigans I am just not aware of.

Hide contents

EndEvent

EndEvent

I would import Looksmenu. 

import BodyGen

And remember to unzip the Looksmenu source code.

@Slorm

Yeah, you can see in the first image that the whole reason the quest is not starting is because it is not finding the necessary conditions (a boss -alive- in a location). The rest is all fine. 

I have no idea why it is not finding that. I mean, I think it's because all possible bosses are dead but I doubt something like that would have happened in a normal save. 

I do have a suspicion that if a mod affected that - disabling something - it won't be fixed by uninstalling it. It's something that would be already baked into the save. 

Edit: 

image.png.216a45d42c2fac960c3b8f32b963d776.png

Well, it seems that there are more conditions than just a place having a boss. 

Edited by JB.
1 hour ago, JB. said:

I would import Looksmenu. 

import BodyGen

And remember to unzip the Looksmenu source code.

Thanks for the Reply.

The BodyGen functions are tagged "global native", I assumed that would remove the import requirements?
Also it compiles fine, not sure if Papyrus let's missing libs just go through without a comment, but that also let me assume that's not the issue.
I just tried the import, but that still doesn't work. Also maybe I should have mentioned, I did try that script with only the DamageValue part, so BodyGen was out of the equation and that still didn't work. I'm honestly quite confused why this isn't working, that's why I assumed it's some CK step that needs to be done for scripts to work or something like that.
I did a google search for setting up Papyrus, but that just mentioned unzipping the scripts.

Oh and the compiled script is located in the Fallout 4\Data\Scripts directory and it's not overwritten by anything from the ModOrganizer, already checked that.

Edited by Hæretic

@JB.

I'm not so sure it's baked in as sometimes it works perfectly. It seems fairly random though I did start to notice it after SH was installed. This seed save I'm using, this is the first time it's happened and after grabbing current older save from backup before starting the Railroad, everything seems fine so far, as at finishing Butchers Bill 2 and I'm suspecting it'll be okay this time.

At least I can force it this time either by starting through the console or by repeated fast travel back and forth to the Railroad which also forces it to spawn naturally.

I'd just like to know the actual cause to satisfy my OCD :classic_smile:

2 hours ago, Hæretic said:

Hide contents

EndEvent

EndEvent

If it's compiling successfully then presumably you already have the LooksMenu script source files installed.

What exactly did you attach the script to? A form or a placed reference? For the latter, the reference is destroyed when it enters your inventory (becoming an inventory item reference), and a new reference is created when you drop it from your inventory again, so the original reference with the script will only exist until you pick it up. All that is to say, make sure you attached the script to the parent armor form instead.

If you're already doing that, make sure you have Papyrus logging enabled and check your log for obvious errors related to your script (keyword search for the script filename without the file extension). If that's still no help, add some Debug.Trace or Debug.Notification function calls inside those events and compile "with debugging" (not "for release") so you can confirm the events are being caught when you expect them to be.

The script is definitely attached to an Armor form.

Enabled logging, removed "for release" flag and added trace function, but the script isn't mentioned. The DamageValue thing was kinda my workaround debug check if its getting triggered at all, but I guess this says for sure that the script just isn't run.  

Good suggestions though.

Is there maybe some Fallout.ini setting that could result in this behaviour?
I definitely added a handful of lines to the custom.ini that where suggested somewhere.
Though I guess if something would hinder scripts from running at all, a lot more would not work, than just my script.

Edited by Hæretic
32 minutes ago, Hæretic said:

The script is definitely attached to an Armor form.

Enabled logging, removed "for release" flag and added trace function, but the script isn't mentioned. The DamageValue thing was kinda my workaround debug check if its getting triggered at all, but I guess this says for sure that the script just isn't run.  

Good suggestions though.

Is there maybe some Fallout.ini setting that could result in this behaviour?
I definitely added a handful of lines to the custom.ini that where suggested somewhere.
Though I guess if something would hinder scripts from running at all, a lot more would not work, than just my script.

Spawn an instance of the armor with the placethere console command, click it so that its refid is selected, then use the sv command to show all variables for that reference. If your script is attached, the output should have a section with info about that.

@JB.

@EgoBallistic

I've found a sort of workaround after going through the conditions of the aliases which sort of works: If I set:

set rrr06global to 1

That does allow allow the mission to run, however it sounds a bit weird with Drummer Boy saying Randolph House has another mission and I noticed it gave me Hubris Comics to clear rather than University Point. so I guess it's tricked to mission 2 thus bypassing the logjam for mission 1.

So it's a sort of workaround, how stable I don't know or whether the rest of the series will run correctly (I imagine it should be okay).

Thanks for your help both of you, I don't think it's worth spending (wasting?) more time on what may be insoluble

53 minutes ago, vaultbait said:

Spawn an instance of the armor with the placethere console command, click it so that its refid is selected, then use the sv command to show all variables for that reference. If your script is attached, the output should have a section with info about that.

That's another great tip, though it did come out not as I expected. The script is on there apparently... 
Script state = "" and the 3 properties get listed.
The empty script state probably is as expected for an item on the ground? 
Honestly not sure what to do with that knowledge now... looks like it should work, but it just isn't ?

Okay just as a sanity check I added the script to a vanilla item... and now its working. 
Now I only have to find out what makes an item ignore attached scripts.
Probably gonna try to redo the Armor form and see if that helps...

Edited by Hæretic
22 minutes ago, Hæretic said:

Script state = "" and the 3 properties get listed.
The empty script state probably is as expected for an item on the ground? 

States are an efficient way for the scripting engine to switch between different versions of functions and events, and it has some built in optimizations to avoid calling empty event blocks for the current state. It's taken me a while to get used to leveraging states in my scripts, definitely something you can just ignore if you're starting out.

5 hours ago, Slorm said:

I thought a bit further on what you said and maybe I have misunderstood. Are you in fact suggesting that as the location cannot be filled when Optional is set, that indicates there's an issue with University Point (as that should fill that alias in mission 1)?

Yes, exactly.  The quest is supposed to fill the Location alias EnemyLocation first.  Then it tries to fill EnemyBoss and EnemyLocationMarker with LocRefTypeBoss and LocRefTypeBossContainer references from EnemyLocation.  Notice the Fill Type on EnemyBoss and EnemyLocationMarker:

image.png

EnemyLocation is flagged Optional, but since EnemyBoss and EnemyLocationMarker are not Optional, the quest normally can't run if EnemyLocation is not filled.  By making EnemyBoss and EnemyLocationMarker Optional, you allow the quest to run, but it's rather broken since there is no location.

So I think the issue is actually that the game isn't finding a suitable location for EnemyLocation.  Note that one of the conditions for EnemyLocation is that the RRR06Global variable must be 0.00.  If it is not, then EnemyLocation will never be found.  Normally that is OK because the only time RRR06Global should be nonzero is when RRR06 has already been started.  But if somehow it got set to some other value, that will prevent the quest from working.

@EgoBallistic

The simplest solution seems to be to finish Butchers Bill 1 (check rrr06 still runs - it always seems to at that point). Pick up the first MILA mission from Tinker Tom, then just fast travel in and out of the Railroad. You then get Butchers Bill 2 from the Doc, Mercer Safehouse from PAM and then Randolph Safehouse from Drummer Boy. If you've not done the first dialogue with Drummer Boy (the bit about being bottom of the heap) it may need an extra trip to clear it first (just collect the quests don't start them).

Once it's in play the rest runs smoothly. It's a bit kludgy but it does work, but must be done while rrr06 will still start.

As to the actual cause I'm at a loss and wasted enough of your time and @JB. with it now I think

Thanks to both of you so much for your advice I really do appreciate it. If nothing else I've learnt a lot more useful info about aliases so has been worthwhile from that perspective.

Edited by Slorm
  • 1 month later...

Hi Everyboy,

I'm pretty new to working with papyrus and modding Bethesda games, after creating some very simple mods not worth uploading anywhere I decided to try myself on an extension for the "Beta: Bad Ends Furniture 0.1 beta 2 Mod" made by Kharos.

The goal is to include the additional Bad End Furnitures as well.

So far everything worked well end I was able to edit and compile all scripts of the original mod except for one: the library script.

The following compiling errors are given to me:

"

GetTemplate is not a function or does not exist

type mismatch while assigning to a actorbase (cast missing or types unrelated)

GetDisplayName is not a function or does not exist

type mismatch while assigning to a string (cast missing or types unrelated)

GetWornItem is not a function or does not exist

void is not a known user-defined script type

GetWornItemMods is not a function or does not exist

type mismatch while assigning to a objectmod[] (cast missing or types unrelated)

GetInventoryItems is not a function or does not exist

type mismatch while assigning to a form[] (cast missing or types unrelated)

"

Most solutions I could find online are related to F4SE and it's additional scripts, e.g. "GetWornItem & GetWornItemMods" are functions added by F4SE.

However, after checking multiple times and following guides online, all F4SE srcipts seem to be placed correctly inside my game folders under ...Data/Scripts and ...Data/Scripts/Source.

Currently, I'm running CK through MO2 since I installed all my mods over MO2. Could this lead to problems?

I attached the original library sript, which I'm also not able to compile (same errors).

I'm convinced I'm overlooking/missing something simple here and beeing dumb due to my inexperience.

Any help and tips are greatly appreciated ☺️

Library.psc