[FO4 CK] General Help Thread

5 hours ago, requiredname65 said:

If there's just few magiceffects in your potions then you could (make copies as needed) set 'no recast' flag on each effect and just keep two versions of the potions. Canceling could be done with keywords (of type dispell effect) on effects and 'dispell with keywords' flag. See how vanilla beers and their effects.

Thanks, I wasn't thinking about the beverages as examples, that's a great point. What I ultimately went with though was attaching a script like this to the potions I'd placed:

Spoiler
Scriptname MHK_FeaturedItem extends ObjectReference
{Add a featured item and remove it again when this is picked up}

Actor Property Player Auto Const
Form Property ToFeature Auto Const

Bool AlreadyDone = False
Event OnContainerChanged(ObjectReference akNewContainer, ObjectReference akOldContainer)
    If AlreadyDone
        Return
    EndIf
    AlreadyDone = True
    Player.AddItem(ToFeature, 1, True)
    Utility.Wait(0.1)
    Player.RemoveItem(ToFeature, -1, True)
EndEvent

Then passed a dummy misc item form (with the FeaturedItem Keyword attached) in the script's ToFeature property, which gave an opportunity to add a little flavor since misc items will let you attach a feature message. So I made a few different feature dummies with different messages for some extra variety and associated them with the various placed potions. Seems to be working great.

Edited by vaultbait
7 hours ago, vaultbait said:

What I ultimately went with though was attaching a script like this to the potions I'd placed

Nice, didn't think about using assortment of different messages. There could even be a progression based on how many of those potions PC has taken so far, if this potion is addictive.

I'd add a check to that script for

If AlreadyDone || Player != akNewContainer

In case follower or someone else decides to pick it up.

6 hours ago, requiredname65 said:

Nice, didn't think about using assortment of different messages. There could even be a progression based on how many of those potions PC has taken so far, if this potion is addictive.

I'd add a check to that script for

If AlreadyDone || Player != akNewContainer

In case follower or someone else decides to pick it up.

Good point, I figured the player would be the only one to pick it up, but you're right it's possible the player could command a follower to do that and then the player would still end up with the feature splash. On the other hand, once a follower has picked it up, the original reference is destroyed so the attached script will no longer run, which could result in it being skipped entirely. I'll have to think a bit about which seems worse.

Edit: Yeah, I went with your suggestion. Having the feature splash pop up when you've commanded a follower to pick up the original item is potentially more confusing/distracting, and it's an unusual enough situation plus the player probably knows what they're doing if they've asked a follower to retrieve an item for them.

Edited by vaultbait

I have a non-physics static mesh (furniture) object I want a script to place on the ground adjacent to the player. I get that this is a complex problem to solve in FO4. I've played around a bit with MoveToNearestNavmeshLocation but there are tons of places it flat out doesn't work due to horrible vanilla navmeshes, and even when it does the navmesh node may be buried in the ground or hovering above it. Not great.

I've seen mention of techniques for ceiling-finding (determining whether settlement beds have a roof over them) which sounds like involves firing invisible projectiles upward from the reference. I've also seen mentioned that if you attach an explosion effect to the projectile you can get the coordinates of the impact. Would it make sense to fire a projectile down at a slight angle from the player's head node and then place the object at the coordinates of the associated explosion? If so, are there specific Papyrus examples anyone can point at for something like this?

Or is there a better/simpler way? Spawn an invisible physics object at the player temporarily and then busywait until its coordinates stop changing (physics settling has finished), then replace it with my real object? Has anybody done something along these lines before and can provide pointers?

Edit: I managed to make that work. For a bit of additional detail this is the "smart scale" in Unhealthy Craving. When it's in the player's inventory it's a slotless armor item (in order to be able to hook onEquipped events), but if the player drops it from inventory it turns into a furniture object they can interact with (has a perk-added activation option to allow you to "pick it up" again which destroys the furniture and adds the armor back to inventory). What I ended up doing is giving the inventory object the same mesh as a bobby pin (smallest vanilla misc item I could think of) and then when it's dropped (onContainerChanged) the script starts looping and checking its coordinates every 0.2 seconds until they stop changing or until 2 seconds have elapsed, then either replaces the dropped armor item with the furniture or tells the player they can't put the scale there and returns the armor item to their inventory. Seems to be working well now!

Edited by vaultbait
  • 2 weeks later...

Having a problem in CK when trying to save a mod I'm making which has a number of masters.

Basically, I'm making some levelled lists which use around 6 clothing mods and I can't seem to find a way to force CK to save the masters link.

I then created the mod with a single unpopulated list and saved it. Loaded it into xEdit and then added the masters and saved. Loaded back into CK which correctly loaded all the masters. I added some test entries, saved and when I checked CK seems to lose all the masters on save except for the first, so loading it again just generates a stack of errors.

Is there a way round this as it will take forever to do the whole thing in eEdit.

EDIT:

I have done some checking around on Google but the entries coming up are for loading (which is okay) not saving

Edited by Slorm
1 hour ago, Slorm said:

Having a problem in CK when trying to save a mod I'm making which has a number of masters.

Basically, I'm making some levelled lists which use around 6 clothing mods and I can't seem to find a way to force CK to save the masters link.

I then created the mod with a single unpopulated list and saved it. Loaded it into xEdit and then added the masters and saved. Loaded back into CK which correctly loaded all the masters. I added some test entries, saved and when I checked CK seems to lose all the masters on save except for the first, so loading it again just generates a stack of errors.

Is there a way round this as it will take forever to do the whole thing in eEdit.

EDIT:

I have done some checking around on Google but the entries coming up are for loading (which is okay) not saving

Probably you are talking about .esp files to be as masters for your mod. You need this

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/51165

2 hours ago, Slorm said:

Thank you so much for that. It works perfectly :classic_smile: ?

Another alternative is to do it with FO4Edit, but the next time you load it up in the CK it will strip the original masters again unless you're using the fixes patch. I mainly just avoid trying to create or edit ESP-mastered plugins in the CK because I use ENB in my FO4 install and the CK fixes has rather verbose warnings about how it's completely incompatible with ENB. Eventually I'll get around to making a separate ENB-less profile I can switch to when using the CK, but I've just been too lazy to set that up.

Edited by vaultbait
1 hour ago, vaultbait said:

Another alternative is to do it with FO4Edit, but the next time you load it up in the CK it will strip the original masters again unless you're using the fixes patch. I mainly just avoid trying to create or edit ESP-mastered plugins in the CK because I use ENB in my FO4 install and the CK fixes has rather verbose warnings about how it's completely incompatible with ENB. Eventually I'll get around to making a separate ENB-less profile I can switch to when using the CK, but I've just been too lazy to set that up.

I did look at using xEdit but because of the complexity of around 6 esp's some with with extensive amounts of garments that needed splitting to go into 5 different lists I really needed the drag and drop to pull groups of items to each list. What took around half an hour in CK would have been many many tedious hours work in xEdit.

I don't use an ENB so I was spared that problem.

Frankly, I was rather taken aback that CK didn't support esp's as masters, though oddly I noticed it did pick up okay one mod which was an esl

24 minutes ago, Slorm said:

I noticed it did pick up okay one mod which was an esl.

Yes, the original CK already handles ESL and even ESL-flagged ESP plugins and will even allow you to make them, you just need to remember to compact before saving if you've added any new forms since it will create them outside the allowed range (also don't get worried if it compacts to values below 800, while that's not valid for Skyrim it's completely fine for FO4).

13 hours ago, vaultbait said:

Yes, the original CK already handles ESL and even ESL-flagged ESP plugins and will even allow you to make them, you just need to remember to compact before saving if you've added any new forms since it will create them outside the allowed range (also don't get worried if it compacts to values below 800, while that's not valid for Skyrim it's completely fine for FO4).

Can I pick your brain on something else (hopefully it's a straight yes or no). If I apply a levelled list to a template and subsequently change my mind and delete it from the template, does that cause any issues? I have a memory from somewhere from Skyrim modding that deleting records can cause problems, though I'm not sure if that applies to levelled lists or just items placed in the world.

8 hours ago, Slorm said:

Can I pick your brain on something else (hopefully it's a straight yes or no). If I apply a levelled list to a template and subsequently change my mind and delete it from the template, does that cause any issues? I have a memory from somewhere from Skyrim modding that deleting records can cause problems, though I'm not sure if that applies to levelled lists or just items placed in the world.

I've not personally seen that be a problem with the FO4 CK. Obviously deleting things in a new version of a mod you've already distributed can mean some impact for players who were using the previous version, depending on what's disappearing, but in my (limited) experience, refcounting and cleanup from record deletion in the CK are pretty solid. That said, while I've used actor templates I've not really done anything with leveled lists, so I may not be the best person to answer your specific question.

13 hours ago, vaultbait said:

I've not personally seen that be a problem with the FO4 CK. Obviously deleting things in a new version of a mod you've already distributed can mean some impact for players who were using the previous version, depending on what's disappearing, but in my (limited) experience, refcounting and cleanup from record deletion in the CK are pretty solid. That said, while I've used actor templates I've not really done anything with leveled lists, so I may not be the best person to answer your specific question.

Many thanks

I did test it out and run the error check routine in xEdit and all seemed fine. It shouldn't cause a problem thinking about it as I was not actually deleting the LL but just the link to it in another LL (if that makes sense).

Figuring out some of the lists is a bit like unravelling cooked spaghetti, thankfully "Use Info" picks them up or it would have been rather more difficult.

If you can find a way round the ENB problem, F4 is a vast improvement over vanilla CK. It even loads faster and it handles multiple master esp's like a dream (I ended up with 12 at the end)

Okay, back with another question. I have a routine in a mod I'm making that needs to cancel an ActiveMagicEffect from another mod. I know I can probably make an optional plugin mastered to both my mod and the one I'm integrating with, and add a new Potion which applies the same MagicEffect with a near-zero duration (at least I assume that would work) or patches the existing MagicEffect to attach a Papyrus script that calls Dispel() on it straight away (increased risk of creating mod conflicts), but I'd rather try to do it via soft integration without a separate plugin if at all possible.

I've scoured the Papyrus docs, and can't find any method to grab the ActiveMagicEffect itself. There's options to check whether there's an ActiveMagicEffect from a specific MagicEffect on a ref, or I can register for an ActiveMagicEffect being applied but the event still only returns the MagicEffect it was based on. Does anybody know of a solution I'm missing?

Hmm, I now see why levelled lists and templates can get complicated, I ended up having to add around 5 patches for different mods that also affect templates just for the sake of adding some (well quite a lot) outfits. Finally tracked them all down after loading everything into xEdit.

On a subjective note the RNG in the CK "seems" to be somewhat more accurate than in-game. The preview calc for 5% and 10% seems to roll about right whereas in-game it seems to be a bit more generous

1 hour ago, LordDrakath15226 said:

Is this the right place for Material Editor help?

It's pretty integral to doing anything with materials, so this is probably a reasonable place to ask (though it does have its own forum on Nexus too).

43 minutes ago, vaultbait said:

It's pretty integral to doing anything with materials, so this is probably a reasonable place to ask (though it does have its own forum on Nexus too).

Good to know for next time i have a problem/question for that but since i managed to solve my problem what i really need help with now is that i would like to know if there's a way to turn a custom head mesh into a preset in game.

7 hours ago, LordDrakath15226 said:

Good to know for next time i have a problem/question for that but since i managed to solve my problem what i really need help with now is that i would like to know if there's a way to turn a custom head mesh into a preset in game.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "custom head mesh" (that's pretty vague and could be any number of things), but Face Ripper is capable of copying between plugin forms (presets included) and converting between those and LooksMenu's JSON format too.

Edit: Oh, also it can pull faces out of the game's save files.

Edited by vaultbait
12 hours ago, LordDrakath15226 said:

You can try use my guide, but that is not so simple

1 hour ago, vaultbait said:

If by "this" you mean pictures, then no I don't know of any tool that can turn a picture into a face preset. If you mean something else, please be more descriptive.

Let me try again: Taking the face of a model from another game and using it on FO4 like in the pics, one has Sindel's head from MK and the other has Mama's from DS.

49 minutes ago, LordDrakath15226 said:

Let me try again: Taking the face of a model from another game and using it on FO4 like in the pics, one has Sindel's head from MK and the other has Mama's from DS.

Thanks, I'm so out of touch that I didn't recognize any of those characters, so was missing sufficient context to understand what you were trying to say with the images.

It sounds like you want to take a head/face that has been sculpted in some external mesh editor, and rig it so that it works as a character face in FO4. What Indarello linked is probably the closest you're going to get. I don't think there are any tools for doing that automatically, and getting the morphs for the various face parts to work correctly is likely to be the most complicated part of the porting process.