How can one get rid of Skyrim completely and start fresh?

nothindoin

After updating my mod manager some time ago (and dreading every moment of it because I feared this would happen) my game became unplayable in any sense. It won't even get to the title screen. I've resolved to just eradicate the game from my computer completely and start fresh. This seems much more simple to say than to accomplish though lol

Anyone have a good step by step guide to help out with this process?

Moderator: moved to the correct thread. Good luck, for sure people here will help you. @CPU.

1) To remove completely, delete

<your drive>:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim

&

<your drive>:\Users\<your user name>\Documents\My Games\Skyrim

(Paths for you might be different, but if they are different you'll know).

2) Then reinstall Skyrim via Steam, (because you use Steam, and it's not pirated or anything)

3) Then install mod organiser, so you don't have to reinstall the base Skyrim stuff ever again if using mods.

4) If you don't know how to use mod organiser, go to Youtube and look up some tutorials. Then you can install any mods in the firm knowledge that you won't feck up your install. (apart from ENB's - which don't go in the data directory, but can be removed quite easily anyway using file explorer).

(ps "CPU" - thanks that was really weird!!!!!!! - was happily tapping away, went to post and it said I couldn't. Which was because you moved the post!)

For making the game vanilla (if you have presets or settings that you liked, you will want to back them up in a separate folder):

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Make_Skyrim_Vanilla_Again

For game optimization:

http://sotrealms.enjin.com/optimization

This would also be a good opportunity for you to reinstall Steam into a folder other than Program Files, since you are doing the grunt work anyways.

You can leave the Skyrim ESM and BSA files in the Data Folder, no need to redownload those large files. List of those you can keep:

Dawnguard.bsa
Dawnguard.esm
Dragonborn.bsa
Dragonborn.esm
HearthFires.bsa
HearthFires.esm

HighResTexturePack01.bsa
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.bsa
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.bsa
HighResTexturePack03.esp

Skyrim - Animations.bsa
Skyrim - Interface.bsa
Skyrim - Meshes.bsa
Skyrim - Misc.bsa
Skyrim - Shaders.bsa
Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
Skyrim - Textures.bsa
Skyrim - Voices.bsa
Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa
Skyrim.esm

Update.bsa
Update.esm

Delete everything else, verifiy the installation in Steam.

Even with MO, start it through Steam once to setup the INI files and other important settings. Then you can start modding with MO.

SKSE and ENB, as mentioned, need to be installed into the Skyrim Folder. SKSE mods can be installed in MO.

There are some ENB managers, but I newer used one.

Have fun!

Alright. Well. Now that it's clean slate, I don't know where to begin. lol

I had soooo many mods and finding it pretty hard to replace them into working order. I could probably do without many of them. Trim the fat off this beast. Basic cosmetics, skeleton, UUNP, HDT hair, body physics, sexlab, the extra killmoves, archery overhaul. All the outdated/overwritten stuff from when mod could go.

This is much harder than I thought it would be lol

hit windows command + R and type %temp% and navigate to local there should also be stored something about skyrim delete those too. apart from this step the other steps the others mentioned also is required in order to fully remove left overs from skyrim. 

Archived