Is beth actually not doing it the right way?

Elgate

First of all, I want people to understand, I am not a modder. What I am saying may not be right, but that is how it seems to me.

I've played skyrim for a long time. I have modded skyrim for about as long as I have played it. I have had lot of problem with modding, mainly due to game crash and all, but I realised something. Most mods that are amazing require one of two thigs: 1) Cleverly use an existing mechanic to do something else or 2) Had the new mechanic using SKSE ans GECK.

I always felt like DLC like hearthfire were useless. I still mainly think it is, but with the way the dlc and GECK is coming out, I'm starting to think that maybe they are not.

The DLC coming out now implement really small but "complex" system to implement with SKSE or geck. I find it interesting, because it make it a lot easier to use these fonction in a clever way (point 1) ) or to go even further with geck with lower risks of crashes.

Not only that, but the fact that these DLC are coming BEFORE geck, make them basically a part of the game BEFORE modding. Making these actually interesting and useful features for modding.

For comparison, The hearthfire DLC was basically never used for modding. You could have used it as part of a quest to restore an empire, or a great castle using the building system of hearthfire to rebuild everything. Why wasn't it exploited? Because mods already did something similar. I thikn of these DLC not only as "cheap" content DLC, but also as a way to add some small mechanic that can be used for better things. (Why not use the robot workshop system on human companion? Not changing parts but instead using biology or synth element to improve humans? It would be possible without these mods, but it would be less stable.

These DLC provide a stable base for modding that is common to all game and are safe to use, and are to be taken account for when creating mod, preventing conflict.

All in all, I think that, even though these DLC are small and do not bring nothing great in themselves, they will actually contribute to a greater stability in mods overall and more option for "small" modder that do not want to build an extensive system but can make clever use of the littles system added in the game. (My only complain is that, these DLC should be free rather than pay for it, I don't think they are big enough to pay for when they are alone)

What do you think? Is my vision biased? Have I missed something?

Guest endgameaddiction

No, they are doing it right. Those typical DLCs like Gun Runner's Arsenal, Courier's Stash and Heartfire are nothing but cash grab marketing.

If you think Heartfire is bad, Courier's Stash is the most useless DLC addon. A few pieces of starter gear which by the way is pointless. That's all it is. For 10USD that truly has a very huge impact on the game. On my gameplay. *smh*

Hearthfire felt like a prototype to the full scale settlement building we've seen in Fallout 4.

One of the best things about Automatron and Wasteland Workshop is not the actual content they've delivered, but the framework. Automatron has provided the framework for robot modding to amazing levels. It's barely been out a month and we already have Eyebot and Securitron mods. Who knows what kind of robots we'll be able to build six months from now? I don't think it will take too long for voice mods for robots to be introduced (Bender, Marvin and R2D2 anyone?), dramatically increasing the scope for robot companions. Wasteland Workshop has introduced arena combat for crying out loud! Think of the scope for that once modders start really digging into it!

Fallout 4 may have disappointed some in its lack of quests or skill checks, but the framework for modding has been unparalleled in a game of this genre. Settlements, armor and clothing, weapons, and now robots!

Fallout 4 may have disappointed some in its lack of quests or skill checks, but the framework for modding has been unparalleled in a game of this genre. Settlements, armor and clothing, weapons, and now robots!

Right, and pigs started flying.

Hearthfire is used by modders. Well, I should say the assets in Hearthfire are used by modders. However, I noticed that many mod authors would avoid using it's assets if possible and I think that was because there was a chunk of people who didn't have it. Hearthfire was, in my opinion, more for the roleplay type of player.

Right, and pigs started flying.

The CK/Geck isn't even out yet. I wouldn't discount the ingenuity of the modding community. I've seen several great ideas bouncing around. We won't really know what's doable until we can get under the hood.

If you think Heartfire is bad, Courier's Stash is the most useless DLC addon.

No kidding. That is exactly the kind of DLC bullshit i hate. And the Cheat Guns Arsenal wasn't much better, though at least they cost a lot.

Oh well, but at least the story DLCs of New Vegas were damn ood. Except Giant Mutant Murder Park :P And ignoring the half-hour story dumps at the beginning.

The CK/Geck isn't even out yet. I wouldn't discount the ingenuity of the modding community. I've seen several great ideas bouncing around. We won't really know what's doable until we can get under the hood.

Well i hope someone can pull off traces of the "My baby! My baby!", though i'm not counting on it. I play these games to murder hobo, not murder rescue family memebers, or murder mayor a town. Besides, there already is a Murder Mayor in the game :P

No, they are doing it right. Those typical DLCs like Gun Runner's Arsenal, Courier's Stash and Heartfire are nothing but cash grab marketing.

If you think Heartfire is bad, Courier's Stash is the most useless DLC addon. A few pieces of starter gear which by the way is pointless. That's all it is. For 10USD that truly has a very huge impact on the game. On my gameplay. *smh*

Whaaaaaaaat?

Hearthfire added new items and structures, kid adoption. The price was fair, no cash grab in my eyes.

Wasteland Workshop mainly enable existing items and objects (that are already in the game) to be crafted, barely adding new things apart from cages and the 2 new traps.

I know it's only 5€, but when you know how to simply add objects to the building mode, it feels quite lazy coming from them, the developpers. There isn't a single new furniture object, no beds, no chair. Nothing. I was surprised when I got my hands on the leaked files to test the DLC.

Automatron : a very small quest, same crappy dialogue (yes yes yes KILL LOOT RETURN), a single new spot (Mechanist's Lair), extremely few new weapons/outfits. Also, like WW, they just heavily use already existing ressources, they just added the robobrain.

Here are the DLCs of New Vegas, by order :

Dead Money > Honest Hearts > Old World Blues > Lonesome Road

Each 9,99€ at the time. And every single one added more than just a few objectives. Add to that the fact the story on all of them is interesting ( at least it's better than Dawnguard or any DLC FO4 had so far).

Lonesome Road finished the story and tied everything. DLCs were over. Gun Runners' Arsenal is basically an add-on, price was fairly low for that one too.

Also Courier's Stash was originally pre-order items. Nothing spectacular for 0,99€.

Been playing since Oblivion, I can honestly tell the quality is getting lower as time goes on. I'm not sure why, maybe the suits have become more greedy since Skyrim's success.

The whole thrust of FO4 is really about rebuilding civilization, so Automatron and Workshop support that

idea to some degree. Automatron means you can make robots and send them off to defend your

settlements. I don't how good of a job they'll do yet.

i won't really be getting involved in FO4 until I can create the kind of character I want. There are so many

cool assets though, that all sorts of interesting mods could be made. If you explore the lowest level of the

Mechanist's Lair you'll know what I'm talking about, there are some interesting new things there. I have a

bit of a 'medical' fetish; deranged doctors doing bizarre and perverted experiments, body modification etc.,

and FO4 looks to be exactly what the doctor ordered.

Guest endgameaddiction

@Bloodfang

Well, I see these addons as things that could of been added to the original game instead.

They did it right with Fallout 4 and settlement building in the original game. Though, it wouldn't surprise me if added more legos to the toy box and smacked a 10USD price tag on it.

@Bloodfang

Well, I see these addons as things that could of been added to the original game instead.

They did it right with Fallout 4 and settlement building in the original game. Though, it wouldn't surprise me if added more legos to the toy box and smacked a 10USD price tag on it.

Sure, and then everyone would hate Bethesda because the release of the bigger DLC takes too long...

Archived