Fastest destruction of a skyrim install?

4 days .....

sigh.

Not sure exactly at what part of  "I will just drop this straight into the data folder, no wait, mb I don't want that, lets just remove it, oh wait, did I want to remove that?, oh crap what did I just delete, oh it will be fine .... oh ....... oh ...... dammit" caused it.

So is this the record?

On the positive side, a fresh install can be fun, right? Cause you can cherry pick only the best and nicest things and they will all work perfectly now because you know about your last mistake, and the one before, and the one before, right?

Going with that.

:)

(sigh)

nmm.

But I like to fiddle with stuff. And I kinda know what is going on, kinda, and then I am .... well ..... wrong.

mb this time around I will give MO a go. I have always resisted because I am a creature of habit I guess.

Really I just posted to have a moan, and mb give you all a chuckle. I don't post much, but I read a lot of the stuff here, and enjoy coming to visit.

If you're not using Mod organizer and trying to mod skyrim with nexus or organizing files manually, you will end up with skyrim that crashes minimum once every 15 minutes, especially if you have around 50 or more mods. MO is just that good, it even has a small version of the LOOT mod already built in, that automatically sorts your load order for optimal performance. All you have to do is press a button :P

I strongly suggest checking out this tutorial playlist, this guy explains everything you would ever need to know about MO and how to use it. Don't be intimidated by the lengthy videos, they are worth your time if you wan't a stable skyrim full of mods

Here:

I am now using (learning to use) MO. and yes znaroks, 15 mins without a crash was not a bad run (230ish mods - a lot of armor clothes and bodlyslide tho)

So far I have managed to get it to log in to Nexus and download with manager. What an effort. Hours of searching the net, seeing the same question asked 100's of times and so many answers.

Tried changing the version number in MO to the current nmm version - no change (prob necessary anyway)

Tried running the nxmhandler.exe - no change (I guess it was there for something right? mb necessary)

Added exceptions for MO in my firewall and antivirus - no change (doubtful this was required)

cursed, nearly gave up and went back to NMM. Then I found another idea.

Firefox was still trying to use NMM. In Firefox - options > applications scroll down to nxm change the application to  use ModOrganiser.exe

And it works :) Download with manager button at nexus is GO!

I bet someone else has this problem. I read numerous archived posts here with people saying "yeah, it doesn't work. I just use manual dl. that works fine". Now to work out how to get the rest of my mods into MO. I think that is a click the 'install from archive' button. I rekon I got that one. :cool:

If you're not using Mod organizer and trying to mod skyrim with nexus or organizing files manually, you will end up with skyrim that crashes minimum once every 15 minutes, especially if you have around 50 or more mods. MO is just that good, it even has a small version of the LOOT mod already built in, that automatically sorts your load order for optimal performance. All you have to do is press a button  :P

I strongly suggest checking out this tutorial playlist, this guy explains everything you would ever need to know about MO and how to use it. Don't be intimidated by the lengthy videos, they are worth your time if you wan't a stable skyrim full of mods

Here:

Constant crashes is just an example of bad modding, not whether you use NMM or MO.

I use NMM and have 250+ plugins (Merged) and am completely stable.

Just saying.

Constant crashes is just an example of bad modding, not whether you use NMM or MO.

Just saying.

And constant complains how things went wrong are comming from NMM users or users who do manual install. I dont remember when is last time some MO user asked for help coz he messed up something.

Just saying.

Just saying.

And constant complains how things went wrong are comming from NMM users or users who do manual install. I dont remember when is last time some MO user asked for help coz he messed up something.

Just saying.

I strongly suspect that the people using MO are more experienced modern since the setup looks more intimidating than the one for NMM. However, once you have NMM set up with all of the other applications it works about the same. I suspect that one ends up doing a little more work in the end in an attempt to make NMM fully functional.

It makes sense that more people will have problems while using NMM or just a straight file transfer. Eventually I'll switch to MO because it looks like a cleaner setup. It might be a while since I have spent so much time getting NMM fully functional. It could be sooner if one of their updates trashes my setup. In either case I keep all of the downloaded files in a separate folder for backup.

Just saying.

Just saying.

Then you clearly are not on these forums enough, I see it all the time.

Just saying.

Just saying.

Just saying.

I strongly suspect that the people using MO are more experienced modern since the setup looks more intimidating than the one for NMM. However, once you have NMM set up with all of the other applications it works about the same. I suspect that one ends up doing a little more work in the end in an attempt to make NMM fully functional.

It makes sense that more people will have problems while using NMM or just a straight file transfer. Eventually I'll switch to MO because it looks like a cleaner setup. It might be a while since I have spent so much time getting NMM fully functional. It could be sooner if one of their updates trashes my setup. In either case I keep all of the downloaded files in a separate folder for backup.

Yeah, it is the same, but there isn't any extra work. Like I said, it's just a case of knowing what you're doing.

I'm sure you can manage 250+ mods manually if you know exactly what you're doing and you're experienced at this, no ones arguing that.

However, if you're like me and you want to swap out one follower mod for another in the middle of a playthrough, maybe try out another graphics mod, take out this, include that back , remove the old custom player home and add a new one etc, with MO, this causes 0 issues and you can do it freely.

This is because mod manager keeps mods clean and separated from each other and ''layers'' them on top of eachother(in the load order), instead of mushing them together in a way that makes them cause problems if you start swapping load orders and change mods, at least AFAIK. This is why 99 percent of people who has modded skyrim and tried all of these methods(or other games like this) will tell you that MO is vastly superior to everything else.

I don't see how MO is more hasle than NMM, once you get used to it, and it doesn't take a lot of time, MO is the same, except safer and more stable.

I'm sure you can manage 250+ mods manually if you know exactly what you're doing and you're experienced at this, no ones arguing that.

However, if you're like me and you want to swap out one follower mod for another in the middle of a playthrough, maybe try out another graphics mod, take out this, include that back , remove the old custom player home and add a new one etc, with MO, this causes 0 issues and you can do it freely.

This is because mod manager keeps mods clean and separated from each other and ''layers'' them on top of eachother(in the load order), instead of mushing them together in a way that makes them cause problems if you start swapping load orders and change mods, at least AFAIK. This is why 99 percent of people who has modded skyrim and tried all of these methods(or other games like this) will tell you that MO is vastly superior to everything else.

I don't see how MO is more hasle than NMM, once you get used to it, and it doesn't take a lot of time, MO is the same, except safer and more stable.

It's far less than 99%, because MO is not that superior. It's not "safer" or "more stable", that depends entirely on what you put into your game.

Putting everything together, I find solves more problems than it causes, if you know how to use it properly.

I've swapped out mods just fine, it's not a reason to consider MO superior. For the fourth time now? If you don't know what you're doing and mess around, it's going to cause problems whatever you use.

I will add though, every time I check on these tech support forums, at least 60% of posts are people having problems with MO conflicts, MO not handling things correctly, messed up MO configs etc.

If it's so superior, how is it so many people seem to have problems with it?

well, now I have a MO question. I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, but you guys seem to know about MO.

What is the red Overwrite? What do I do with it? I have seen people say you can just delete it. Gopher dropped it into FNIS in his install vid for that (to get rid of the shortcut confirmation thing). So far I have just been ignoring it, and everything seems to be working just fine. But it is getting pretty big.

eg. I installed the ningheim race. no problems. But I wanted my own body. So I made it in bodyslide, then dropped the femalebody.nif(s) into the mo/ ..../.../ningheim/.../blah folder. Worked as I wanted it to. Now I have the body I want. But now I have the nifs I exported to the working folder also appearing in the overwrite folder. Is this just a shortcut thing?

It's far less than 99%, because MO is not that superior. It's not "safer" or "more stable", that depends entirely on what you put into your game.

Putting everything together, I find solves more problems than it causes, if you know how to use it properly.

I've swapped out mods just fine, it's not a reason to consider MO superior. For the fourth time now? If you don't know what you're doing and mess around, it's going to cause problems whatever you use.

I will add though, every time I check on these tech support forums, at least 60% of posts are people having problems with MO conflicts, MO not handling things correctly, messed up MO configs etc.

Because people for the most part only use MO nowadays. Thats why you mostly see MO problem threads. If people do not use use the software correctly and miss things, they will have problems.

Kudos to you for geting NMM to work well, I don't know how you are doing it, but from my experience, MO doesn't cause crashes as often as NMM did for me, not even close. And I use pretty much the same mod list, even more for MO, since it doesn't crash me as often. I have only heard positive things about MO in comparison to NMM.

the only thing is best about MO is that they dont touch  your Skyrim folder that`s one reason i switch to MO 

for the red overwrite it depends on the files for example you have run dual sheathe redux the skyproc folder will appear on your overwrite so just drag it back to dual sheathe same for fnis if you fun fnis the tool meshes and other`s will appear in the overwrite just drag it back to fnis 

Because people for the most part only use MO nowadays. Thats why you mostly see MO problem threads. If people do not use use the software correctly and miss things, they will have problems.

Kudos to you for geting NMM to work well, I don't know how you are doing it, but from my experience, MO doesn't cause crashes as often as NMM did for me, not even close. And I use pretty much the same mod list, even more for MO, since it doesn't crash me as often. I have only heard positive things about MO in comparison to NMM.

the only thing i can compare with NMM and MO is that NMM users still reinstall  skyrim ive heard it alot on "how many time have you reinstalled you skyrim thread"  and with MO they dont need to reinstall  their skyrim anymore

the only thing i like about NMM is that they have well organize category listing of mods 

Trial and error, just like everything else.

I'm pretty sure there's still a very decent number of people using NMM, I've seen discussion threads of people using it, the NMM thread on here is pretty active and sometimes there is a post here.

the only thing i can compare with NMM and MO is that NMM users still reinstall  skyrim ive heard it alot on "how many time have you reinstalled you skyrim thread"  and with MO they dont need to reinstall  their skyrim anymore

the only thing i like about NMM is that they have well organize category listing of mods 

I reinstall because I like a clean slate, neither one really cleans it out fully, so this is pretty much an "each to their own" thing over features.

I have never had a problem with NMM but I stopped updating it quite awhile ago back when they broke FNIS and I didn't care for all the bells and whistles they kept trying to shove into it. Right now I have max for .esp/.esm and I'm still adding to it and my skyrim folder is at 98.6 GB. I have never used LOOT as I have never needed it I do use TES5EDIT but that is for modifying .esp's or removing masters.

well, now I have a MO question. I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, but you guys seem to know about MO.

What is the red Overwrite? What do I do with it? I have seen people say you can just delete it. Gopher dropped it into FNIS in his install vid for that (to get rid of the shortcut confirmation thing). So far I have just been ignoring it, and everything seems to be working just fine. But it is getting pretty big.

eg. I installed the ningheim race. no problems. But I wanted my own body. So I made it in bodyslide, then dropped the femalebody.nif(s) into the mo/ ..../.../ningheim/.../blah folder. Worked as I wanted it to. Now I have the body I want. But now I have the nifs I exported to the working folder also appearing in the overwrite folder. Is this just a shortcut thing?

The overwrite folder is the folder in MO with the highest priority. so files in it overwrite any conflicting files from other mods. 

Files usually end up in there, when they are created by tools like FNIS or BodySlide and MO doesn't know to which mod they belong to (because they were newly created for example).

Just deleting it is probably not a good idea, because then you will lose all the files that were created by the tools.

If there is something in your overwrite folder, you can do a right-click on the overwrite folder and select 'create mod...'. This creates a new mod, which you can disable or enable like any other mod you installed. 

So for example if your overwrite folder is empty and you run FNIS, you will see that FNIS places its created files in the overwrite folder. Then you can use 'create mod' and name it 'FNIS files' for example. Now you have your fnis files for your current profile in a separate mod and you can de/activate it when needed. Also when you run FNIS again, it will replace the files in your created mod. (some will still end up in your overwrite folder, but you can just drag and drop them in your new mod, like gopher does in his videos).

this link might also be helpful: http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer#Overwrite

Archived