Custom Race Mod - Outdated - Please don't use

All custom races are standalone. I don't have that many... oriental, turndown, epic elves (probably dumping, not that great), temptress, and yaksha. Even using the photobooth mod to eliminate all scenery and get into a really small cell, trying to select a female CTDs. However, I found that, for whatever reason, if create any female character, then I run setrace moonshadowrace before going into either the photobooth or running showracemenu, I'm able to create a moonshadow female character.

But I also noticed after doing that, that I get small gaps at the wrists and ankles when naked at weight 20. There also seem to be various other weird problems after creating the character that way, like the hair I had when I start creating the character "sticks" (doesn't change with the menu) correctly until I cycle through all hairs. The eyes do even weirder things, like if I lower the eyes, whatever eye color the template had shows up. Raising the eyes back up then shows the eye color I chose from the menu. And viewing the templates in CK gives some nasty errors about the ears when I load a template up in the preview window.

Also, after extensive testing (and throwing a chunk of money at the problem), it's not skyrim's "shitbag engine" that chokes. It's the video card running out of texture memory. I upgraded to a 680 GTX with 4 gig of texture memory, and now I'm running 6 hair mods under normal circumstances. Showracemenu takes a while to load, but it can do it. When I ran a card with 1.5 gig, showracemenu would hang the game with anything more than apache and beautiful hair loaded. The reason it looks like the engine is because you're already using a fair bit of texture memory outside just loading the world. Big cells make this worse. Toss in a few hair mods, and yeah, no more texture memory, so the game just hangs or CTDs. Whether the engine could make more efficient use of texture memory or not, and therefore is still a bit of a shitbag engine, is a slightly different discussion.

Anywho, I was able to make a pretty sweet looking character. Thanks for the work on it.

All custom races are standalone. I don't have that many... oriental' date=' turndown, epic elves (probably dumping, not that great), temptress, and yaksha. Even using the photobooth mod to eliminate all scenery and get into a really small cell, trying to select a female CTDs. However, I found that, for whatever reason, if create any female character, then I run setrace moonshadowrace before going into either the photobooth or running showracemenu, I'm able to create a moonshadow female character.

But I also noticed after doing that, that I get small gaps at the wrists and ankles when naked at weight 20. There also seem to be various other weird problems after creating the character that way, like the hair I had when I start creating the character "sticks" (doesn't change with the menu) correctly until I cycle through all hairs. The eyes do even weirder things, like if I lower the eyes, whatever eye color the template had shows up. Raising the eyes back up then shows the eye color I chose from the menu. And viewing the templates in CK gives some nasty errors about the ears when I load a template up in the preview window.

Also, after extensive testing (and throwing a chunk of money at the problem), it's not skyrim's "shitbag engine" that chokes. It's the video card running out of texture memory. I upgraded to a 680 GTX with 4 gig of texture memory, and now I'm running 6 hair mods under normal circumstances. Showracemenu takes a while to load, but it can do it. When I ran a card with 1.5 gig, showracemenu would hang the game with anything more than apache and beautiful hair loaded. The reason it looks like the engine is because you're already using a fair bit of texture memory outside just loading the world. Big cells make this worse. Toss in a few hair mods, and yeah, no more texture memory, so the game just hangs or CTDs. Whether the engine could make more efficient use of texture memory or not, and therefore is still a bit of a shitbag engine, is a slightly different discussion.

Anywho, I was able to make a pretty sweet looking character. Thanks for the work on it.

[/quote']

I'm glad you got it worked out. Nice looking character there :)

But what the engine needs is a lot more optimization to make better use of video memory in outdoor settings during character editing (when using showracemenu). It doesn't make very efficient use of video memory at all, but outdoors is when the issue is quite glaring. If you note the setting in Helgen during character creation, there is very little scenery in view behind the character. Therein lies the problem. If the engine didn't load everything that isn't in view into memory (peripherals, sky, mountains, etc.) while you're creating a character, it would greatly alleviate the outdoor character creation issue, at least as far as Helgen goes.

The hair and eye issue is a side-effect of the engine choking for lack of memory to work with. When you "jump into" a new race using the setrace command, it's "supposed" to unload/load all of the information on the race forms for the two races in play (headparts, customization options, texture sets, etc.). But because there is too little memory available to load into, the engine simply stops unloading/loading from the race forms during the jump. Which is why you need to cycle through every option to straighten things out.

I believe the key to resolving the issue completely lies in the showracemenu command, where it directs the engine to unload unnecessary textures from video memory when the command is issued in the console. I wish I has the technical knowledge to make it happen :(

Important changes incoming:

First' date=' I've decided to start packaging my mods into BSA format that will hold all of the meshes, textures, and scripts for each race. This change is primarily to avoid installation issues, as it removes the user's need to assure proper folder hierarchy during installation. The downside of this is that I won't be supporting multiple body types anymore. The body of choice i'm going with is CBBE, of whatever version is most current. It's simply the more practical choice, with a much wider range of customization.

UNP(B) is a very nice body mod, but after experimenting with multiple version releases of some of my mods, CBBE won hands down. 2286 people downloaded Moonshadow Elves for CBBE, as opposed to 974 downloads for UNP(B) over the first two days after the mod was released onto Nexus.

[u']Second[/u], I'll no longer be posting WIP threads. If you don't like what you see in this post, feel free to move along and ignore it. If you want to offer polite, constructive criticism or suggestions, feel free to PM me. My last few WIP threads seemed to attract every Nextard who likely got banned from there for being a jackass and managed to find their way here. So those days are over. It's frustrating enough just hammering out issues with the mods. I don't need (or want) to be dealing with rude and inconsiderate commentary.

A while back I said I wanted to use this post to showcase my current WIP. So that's what I'm going to be doing from now on. Revealing them here while they're in development, instead of in individual open discussion threads.

Thanks,

Trykz o/

I'm really happy to see that you haven't left us.

But I fear the Nextards will just mess this topic up :(

btw trykz' date=' are you still working on the dovahteens mod? i thought it looked pretty good, from the screenshots you posted in the topic before you took it down.

[/quote']

Yep.

I'm also close to finishing the elven teens (separate mod) as well. As of right now, the Dovahteens mod is tremendous because of all the armors I created in BodySlide being an actual part of the mod. It works good, but is a lot larger than I really care for. So I'm going to start working today on removing the armors after I copy them to a third mod. Basically it'll be this:

Dovahteens

DovahteenElves

DovahteenArmorandClothes

The only thing holding these back at the moment is their lack of male counterparts. I think I may have found what I need though. I'll be working them up tonight to see how they look.

Any hope for a Temptress rehash with outfits for CBBE sir?

The race I could do. Unfortunately, the Temptress armor isn't something I can. The stuff I'm making for the Teen races is BodySlide compatible, so I can refit it to their custom body using that.

On that note:

I'm going to be releasing the BodySlide data for the teen body as an attachment in post #2, in the hope that some of the armor wizards here might take an interest in refitting some more custom armors for them that are BodySlide compatible. I've included what custom armors I could find, but it isn't very many. So most of the armor package will be refitted vanilla stuff from KillerKeo's and Caliente's sets.

I'll try and get the pics back up tonight in post #2.

In other news, I revamped Zazamel's Drow race (and added teens) for my own personal use. I may ask him if he minds if I release it, but we'll see.

btw trykz' date=' are you still working on the dovahteens mod? i thought it looked pretty good, from the screenshots you posted in the topic before you took it down.

[/quote']

Yep.

I'm also close to finishing the elven teens (separate mod) as well. As of right now, the Dovahteens mod is tremendous because of all the armors I created in BodySlide being an actual part of the mod. It works good, but is a lot larger than I really care for. So I'm going to start working today on removing the armors after I copy them to a third mod. Basically it'll be this:

Dovahteens

DovahteenElves

DovahteenArmorandClothes

The only thing holding these back at the moment is their lack of male counterparts. I think I may have found what I need though. I'll be working them up tonight to see how they look.

Great to hear, Trykz. Thanks for hanging in there.

Quick shot of the Drow Teen I worked up:

DrowTeen01.jpg

Adding a couple Dovahteen pics to post #2 momentarily. Just looking through them quick for the ones I want to add. I'll get some DovahTeenElves pics up later tonight or tomorrow sometime.

Finished and packed up the armor and clothes as a separate mod a couple hours ago. Just need to test to be sure everything packed into the .bsa properly. The head I wanted to use for the males didn't work out, so I may have to forego them for now, and add them later in a revised version of the Dovahteen mods. I'm still looking at a few head meshes, so we'll see what tomorrow brings. If I find something usable, I'd rather add it now instead of reworking the mod later.

looks good. too bad its only for cbbe body though. not saying i don't like the cbbe, which i do really. its one of my favorites. although i'm using a unp retexture that comes close to the cbbe. the only reason i use the unp though is for the skimpy outfits lol. anyways, keep up the good work.

Does anyone know how the race compatibility fares with dawnguard?

My Dovahteen test character became a vampire lord without a problem :P

so now that dawngaurd is out what are the odds of there being news concerning working wings on the valkrie race over the coming week?

Not likely going to happen for quite a while. The vampire lord wings are part of it's one-piece body mesh. So there's no way (for now) to use them on another race :(

Hmm, I became a vampire using Moonshadow Elf, afterwords Harkon did his little speach, about how to use my powers, and all that fun stuff, then after he spoke he asked me to see that one guy, to speak to him about my next mission, so when I mozy'd down to do so... they all attacked me x.x is their something I need to do or is that a Skyrim Glitch? PS love Moonshadows Vampire Form O_O

Hmm' date=' I became a vampire using Moonshadow Elf, afterwords Harkon did his little speach, about how to use my powers, and all that fun stuff, then after he spoke he asked me to see that one guy, to speak to him about my next mission, so when I mozy'd down to do so... they all attacked me x.x is their something I need to do or is that a Skyrim Glitch? PS love Moonshadows Vampire Form O_O

[/quote']

Were you a werewolf?

Because apparently there's a bug where Harkon's "gift" doesn't remove the werewolf disease.

It's apparently a problem in the XBox version as well.

Not likely going to happen for quite a while. The vampire lord wings are part of it's one-piece body mesh. So there's no way (for now) to use them on another race :(

well technically this is news just not good news on the other hand given what youve managed to do with were's and the other stuff ive seen it wont be long :D

Hmm' date=' I became a vampire using Moonshadow Elf, afterwords Harkon did his little speach, about how to use my powers, and all that fun stuff, then after he spoke he asked me to see that one guy, to speak to him about my next mission, so when I mozy'd down to do so... they all attacked me x.x is their something I need to do or is that a Skyrim Glitch? PS love Moonshadows Vampire Form O_O

[/quote']

Were you a werewolf?

Because apparently there's a bug where Harkon's "gift" doesn't remove the werewolf disease.

It's apparently a problem in the XBox version as well.

Nope, it was SkyRe, I got bored, deinstalled every mod but cosmetic ones.. including SkyRe, and the "Races" File doesn't include the "VolkiharClanFaction" File, nor does it include the "DawnguardFaction" file, meaning... the game doesn't allow me to join ether faction with Dawnguard installed... >_> He really needs to fix that as I can't play without my Wayfinder... it makes being your Moonshadow Elf Better, same with Nidia... ESPECALLY Nidia, cause your discription makes Nidia seem Nomadic and Wayfinder is like the Nomad Skill Tree.

Glad you figured it out grizlap :)

In other news, I may have to completely rebuild both the Dovahteens and DovahteenElves, and merge them into a single mod. Transforming into a vampire lord turned my Nord teen into a Dark Elf teen vampire after the scene with Lord Harkon in the hall, meaning the two individual mods are conflicting because they use the same headmesh. Which is odd, because DovahteenElves is packed into a .bsa, while Dovahteens is still the unpacked files in their respective folders.

I'm going to try switching the load order. But needless to say, this will be delayed yet again if that doesn't work :s

[/quote']

If you entered the castle with followers then that triggers npcs to attck. Basically after harkon embraces you the game moves you to another room. When the happens your followers are temporarily teleported into the castle which causes the npcs to aggro when they see you. the happened to me, so when i reloaded i just dismissed my followers and took serana to the castle by myself and nothing bad happened.

Well, changing the load order did nothing. I had to disable DovahteenElves.esp in the launcher to get it to work normally. I also had to untick the "overlay head parts list" checkbox on the race forms in the Dovahteens.esp, which removes the sunken cheeks, eye change, etc.. Which kind of sucks because I thought the eyes looked pretty cool.

Oh well. Back into the CK they go :(

I dunno where you get all this patience Trykz' date=' i only use the CK to merge/change armor mods and i am so sick of using such broken tool.

[/quote']

The CK has it's moments for sure (and the Vodka helps.... some) LOL

Oddly, I had this issue with The Demoness mod as well, where their individual headparts were all being called up (and applied) upon vampire transformation. I had a single Demoness test character with ALL of their individual headparts loaded. The only way to fix it was to remove the PlayerVampireQuestScript.pex file from the Scripts folder. Which I haven't tried in this case, but I imagine would work in this instance as well. However, it will be placed back into the folder when loading any of my other mods. I'll post back after I confirm it.

RaceCompatibility is "supposed" to resolve issues like this. But apparently, it doesn't. However, I need it to dynamically add my races to the other races' headpart lists for access to eyes, hair, etc..

If this keeps up, I'll be left with three options:

1) quit race modding

2) forego vampire variants entirely

3) not use RaceCompatibility (which will cause headparts conflicts with other races because I'll have to manually add the race to the headparts lists)

Alternatively, there is one other option:

recommend removing the RaceCompatibility's PlayerVampireQuestScript.pex file from the Scripts folder, and no longer include it in my mods.

I'll know which I'll be option I'll be going with after I run some more tests over the next few days.

So removing the PlayerVampireQuestScript.pex file worked. No more mixed headparts.

However, it also removes being recognized as a Vampire Lord :(

Lord Harkon goes through everything normally while in VL form. But as soon as you transform back, you're no longer recognized as a vampire.

I REALLY wish Bethesda would sort this custom race compatibility shit out themselves. When the CK first released, the ability to create a new race was one of the very first tutorials they touted on the CK website :@

But at the moments it's looking like only a single custom race can be active at any given time. Start loading multiple race mods, and all hell breaks loose :dodgy: