Are nifs bounded to savefiles?

steiny

Hello everybody,

I have a rather simple question (I hope), about the nifs. Especially femalebody_0.nif and all its counterparts.

I have two savefiles.

When I load one, everything is OK, I found my correct body and textures.

WHen I load another, it does not found the correct body and textures.

THus the question, are nifs bounded to savefiles?

Or maybe to mods whithin it?

Thanks for your time!

Each save can be different depending on what mods you have installed what mods might be conflicting in one or the other load order also plays into it as when a save is made it saves the load order as it was when the save was made if the load order isn't the same when you load a save then problems can happen. Wyre bash has a option where you can look any given save file that you have and see what the load order was when that save was made so that you can adjust the load order to match it.

@OP:

No. There are things that persist in saves (objects, NPCs etc.) but meshes are not one of them. You clearly have some other issue with your save or your load order. If you are using Mod Organizer, go to the Data tab on the right side, and find out which mod provides the meshes and textures of the body you want to use. Those are the ones actually used in the game. See if there's anything wrong or unusual with them.

Thanks everyone :). I hoped the problem had a simple fix :s

I guess I have to switch to MO. I was lazy to learn a new mod manager (I'm using NMM + LOOT).

I'll use MO to see where it is going wrong as I have a backup of my previous skyrim folder.

Meshes and textures are not saved to your game in any way.  They are always loaded from their defined paths when you start the game.

Your broken save likely has a mesh equipped that is using incorrect flags or is causing you to run out of memory.  Wrong shader flags on an equippable mesh can break texture rendering on the body.  A broken mesh (wrong vertex count/order or different file size _0 and _1 meshes) can simply crash the game if you attempt to load a save where your character has such a mesh equipped.  The only other potential cause is that your problematic save has items equipped on the character that are causing your GPU to run out of VRAM.  Poorly optimized meshes (too many vertices) and uncompressed textures are the leading cause of this.

You can verify whether this is the problem by loading your problem save and unequipping all items.  Create a new save, exit the game and then relaunch and load your save.

It would help if you post the mods the use: Loadorder (esp/esm) and maybe the Mod List as well.

We don't have a crystal ball to see your modded game.

There are mods that can alter what mesh gets loaded for the body. And many other potential problems, see some explained by the others.

So: Yes, to mods within your save.

@Kastagir, it is not a problem of running out of VRAM. I have done what you suggested. No success :(

(Edited)

Hooray!

I found where it went wrong! My character had tatoos. And somehow, somewhere, the save file / racemenu tried to load the tatoos above the skin texture. But as they were no tatoos textures, it failed, and it failed to load also the skin texture.

Horray :)

Now, I have to find what is causing my boobs to have another values than the one I set in Bodyslide :s.

But that's another problem I thinl.

Thanks everyone for your help!

@Kastagir, it is not a problem of running out of VRAM. I have done what you suggested. No success :(

(Edited)

Hooray!

I found where it went wrong! My character had tatoos. And somehow, somewhere, the save file / racemenu tried to load the tatoos above the skin texture. But as they were no tatoos textures, it failed, and it failed to load also the skin texture.

Horray :)

Now, I have to find what is causing my boobs to have another values than the one I set in Bodyslide :s.

But that's another problem I thinl.

Thanks everyone for your help!

If you're talking about Racemenu overlays, they have all kinds of problems.  Clipping distance, fog/mist, smoke effects can cause them to not appear.  Improperly configured body meshes can also prevent them from displaying.  That's why it's always, always better to include tattoos on the diffuse texture.  Racemenu overlays are for people who like to change their tattoos frequently, but there is no way for it to display them as well as when they are part of the diffuse texture (and, ideally, the normal map as well).

Archived