Duel Combat - Realism or Ultimate Combat?

Trainee

What isn't wrong with Duel. Incorrectly applied permanent cloaks, up to 5 per NPC, boring mechanic that simply requires you to horde stamina instead of strength and rely on ridiculous enchanting or smithing to do your damage instead, blocking become the only necessary function in combat because now everything hinges on it.

Pretty much the Requiem of combat mods; completely fake and arbitrary balance that relies on a single stat (stamina for D, armor for R) to do anything, resulting in the player investing everything in one slot to overcome the damage curve.

Simply bad design from top to bottom.

It will corrupt your save; that's not an opinion, it's a fact.

Also if you run away from combat and then go back, it'll re-apply even more cloaks to the things you were fighting before. Cloaks that never go away EVER, even after culling to the Room of the Dead.

What isn't wrong with Duel. Incorrectly applied permanent cloaks, up to 5 per NPC, boring mechanic that simply requires you to horde stamina instead of strength and rely on ridiculous enchanting or smithing to do your damage instead, blocking become the only necessary function in combat because now everything hinges on it.

Pretty much the Requiem of combat mods; completely fake and arbitrary balance that relies on a single stat (stamina for D, armor for R) to do anything, resulting in the player investing everything in one slot to overcome the damage curve.

Simply bad design from top to bottom.

It will corrupt your save; that's not an opinion, it's a fact.

Also if you run away from combat and then go back, it'll re-apply even more cloaks to the things you were fighting before. Cloaks that never go away EVER, even after culling to the Room of the Dead.

Sounds like a good reason to switch to me  :@

Deadly Combat isn't a choice?

I like Ultimate Combat, except for its stagger mechanic. It only applies on power attacks, has a delay to it, and the animation makes you lose complete control for quite a while. Deadly Combat's stagger is more responsive, works for regular attacks, and feels better because it's briefer.

Action Combat also adds nice mechanics (most responsive stagger system, weapon parrying, stamina drain on attacks). It will supposedly cause save bloat though since it doesn't remove scripts from NPCs; it only stops the script.

Deadly Combat isn't a choice?

I like Ultimate Combat, except for its stagger mechanic. It only applies on power attacks, has a delay to it, and the animation makes you lose complete control for quite a while. Deadly Combat's stagger is more responsive, works for regular attacks, and feels better because it's briefer.

Action Combat also adds nice mechanics (most responsive stagger system, weapon parrying, stamina drain on attacks). It will supposedly cause save bloat though since it doesn't remove scripts from NPCs; it only stops the script.

I am trying ultimate combat for now, if I don't like it I will try out deadly combat too.

I was using duel combat for so long that I just got used to needing so much stamina... Ultimate combat is quite a bit easier so far  :-/

Yup, Action Combat can easily bloat your saves and it's unbalanced when it comes to fighting dual wielding enemies. They tend to ignore hits and shield bashing even if your script delay is barely noticeable. Too bad, I really enjoyed it. It was fun, no ridiculous changes like having 1000 stamina points just to successfully block a few regular attacks.

You can also configure combat system using SkyTweak. Change stamina cost for attacks, modify shield bash, global weapon damage, damage scaling, combat AI and even add some stagger. It's a good option to make a basic combat overhaul on your own and test it while playing. Unfortunately enabling NPC stagger script causes my character to emit some blue auras every few seconds, so I had to turn it off.

I stopped using combat mods with heavy cloak script implementation as part of a general effort to reduce script lags. I'd read Grimy's comments on reddit, he concluded that Deadly Combat and Action Combat were worst offenders because they attach a constant effect to all npcs they touch. Don't want that in my game. Ultimate Combat's still incompatible with FNIS 6 as far as I can see.

I'm running Grimy's Combat Patcher alongside Skytweaks and Vigor. That's a combo I can vouch for, it makes the combat difficulty curve feel much smoother, and I feel less like a demigod. 

I stopped using combat mods with heavy cloak script implementation as part of a general effort to reduce script lags. I'd read Grimy's comments on reddit, he concluded that Deadly Combat and Action Combat were worst offenders because they attach a constant effect to all npcs they touch. Don't want that in my game. Ultimate Combat's still incompatible with FNIS 6 as far as I can see.

I'm running Grimy's Combat Patcher alongside Skytweaks and Vigor. That's a combo I can vouch for, it makes the combat difficulty curve feel much smoother, and I feel less like a demigod. 

There is a patch for ultimate combat in FNIS version 6.2, works fine for me.

Just curious, if a save game bloats. 

What's the normal save file size before the bloat occurs?

I am honestly starting to have second thoughts with Duel - Realism as I've done extensive reading on the matter, that and using Action Combat with it (or with Ultimate Combat).

now that i heard duel realism isnt good at i think its time for me to change to im stilll  thinking if ultimate combat or deadly combat im not sure if this is compatible with revenge of the enemies and combat evolve or any combat mods that makes combat more difficult i remember getting 2 hits by bandits while playing on adept difficulty 

now im using loot and degration makes your armor breaks and weapon have anyone have tried this is it safe for saves?

now that i heard duel realism isnt good at i think its time for me to change to im stilll  thinking if ultimate combat or deadly combat im not sure if this is compatible with revenge of the enemies and combat evolve or any combat mods that makes combat more difficult i remember getting 2 hits by bandits while playing on adept difficulty 

now im using loot and degration makes your armor breaks and weapon have anyone have tried this is it safe for my saves?

I have been playing with revenge of the enemies, ultimate combat and combat evolved together and have not had any noticeable problems so far, though playing on adept probably will end with you getting 2 shotted a lot (probably from combat evolved's damage mods I would think)

I have been playing with revenge of the enemies, ultimate combat and combat evolved together and have not had any noticeable problems so far, though playing on adept probably will end with you getting 2 shotted a lot (probably from combat evolved's damage mods I would think)

What's your take on Ultimate Combat over Duel - Realism so far?

Well Ultimate combat seems alright, though I have noticed I get 1 shotted for no apparent reason sometimes, I think thats coming from combat evolved. going to try removing that and see if it still happens.

Though I enjoy difficulty, I don't like getting completely obliterated in one hit, at least not as a character wearing heavy armor and a shield  :dodgy:

Edit: nope, still getting one shotted without combat evolved, going to try deadly combat now.

Second Edit: after doing a little more searching it seems it is actually being caused by High Level Enemies mod, though I never really had this problem with Duel Combat, I am going to try without that now.

Well Ultimate combat seems alright, though I have noticed I get 1 shotted for no apparent reason sometimes, I think thats coming from combat evolved. going to try removing that and see if it still happens.

Though I enjoy difficulty, I don't like getting completely obliterated in one hit, at least not as a character wearing heavy armor and a shield  :dodgy:

Edit: nope, still getting one shotted without combat evolved, going to try deadly combat now.

Second Edit: after doing a little more searching it seems it is actually being caused by High Level Enemies mod, though I never really had this problem with Duel Combat, I am going to try without that now.

I look forward to your final input as to what is better between them. 

try to remove the npc`s have perk`s in asis  mine is ok now im not getting 1 hit on my enemies maybe 4 or 5 hit or more just like a vanilla skyrim but they are much tougher (more health) and stronger with ultimate combat  im still using rev of the enemy and combat evolved im sure its asis since it uses the perk of your perks mod that makes them stronger and able to 1 hit you

same here i dont like it when they can 1 hit you too much realism i like longer combat like the other games has 

well they say duel combat realism  leave cloak on npc`s and it wont be remove even after they die that will cause save bloat

I don't use ASIS though.

Removing HLE fixed the problems I was having but now everything is TOO easy.... I am starting to miss Duel combat... but I can tell the game is more stable after removing it...  :(

HLE?

High Level Enemies.

I don't use ASIS though.

Removing HLE fixed the problems I was having but now everything is TOO easy.... I am starting to miss Duel combat... but I can tell the game is more stable after removing it...  :(

if the game is too easy try using Asis and use npc`s can use perks and use potion 

or you could use loot and degration if your using vanilla weapons and armors or replacers it can make your weapon break and armor also 

and also im using this Eating Sleeping Drinking  is not animation that i really like about here  there`s a running features in here that makes your drain stamina when running and also makes you encoumbered when your out of stamina so basically you would save your stamina and you will avoid spamming powerful attack 

I don't use ASIS though.

if the game is too easy try using Asis and use npc`s can use perks and use potion 

or you could use loot and degration if your using vanilla weapons and armors or replacers it can make your weapon break and armor also 

and also im using this Eating Sleeping Drinking  is not animation that i really like about here  there`s a running features in here that makes your drain stamina when running and also makes you encoumbered when your out of stamina so basically you would save your stamina and you will avoid spamming powerful attack 

I use Ineed as my needs mod. Would degradation work with Immersive armors and complete crafting overhaul?

I havnt actually looked at ASIS much, what other combat mods woudl you recommend with Ultimate combat?

Archived