Windows 10 Build 11102 Warning

darkconsole

Get out of the fast ring right now if you enjoy Fallout 4.  Jump down to Slow until they fix this.

Today we are releasing Build 11102 to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. If you’re a PC gamer or use accessibility software, I highly recommend taking note of the known issues for this build (below) as there are issues that will impact your PC gaming experience.

Some PC games will crash switching from windowed mode to full screen, upon game resolution change, or upon launch due to a bug in Windows graphics stack. We have observed this with The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Tomb Raider, Assassin’s Creed, and Metal Gear Solid V but it may occur with other titles as well.

Not interested in your opinion of Windows 10, beta releases, or anything along those lines. Merely hoping to help a few bros out by not getting caught by this bullshit like I did. The only way to launch Fallout 4 on this build is to put it into (and stay in) Windowed mode, and doing so seems to kill the framerate. Even with the resolution set to the same as my native, it will crash going into full screen.

If you are an unlucky sap like me who enjoys the fast ring which is usually good, and lets it auto install, not that they give you much choice, then you'll have to roll Windowed for a while. Honestly I cannot believe even on the fast ring that they didn't just wait an extra week instead of purposely pushing extremely broke important features. But whatever.

Dunno. Microsoft says its broken, I can confirm. It probably has many factors you might have a lucky combo. Rocksmith 2014 also has problems with this build. It doesn't crash, but it will lock up if you attempt to toggle fullscreen/window. FO4 flat out crashes unless bFull Screen and bBorderless are 0 for me.

Again, don't know.

I confirm that my build is 11102.

And FO4 starts in full screen just fine.

But probably I am just lucky.

Edit: maybe a problem with the driver of the graphic card? I have a nVidia and the drivers are the latest stable ones available.

I dunno. They weren't very specific. The post flat out says "will" and that is my unfortunate experience. I also am sitting on nvidia with the most recent drivers. But the card itself is dated. Too many variables. Best we can do is leave this trail for others to follow if we start seeing FO4 crashing threads popping up.

Also all posts following this must begin with a form of "i dont know" or "dunno" or else you lose the game.

Guest Mogie56

Kind of strange in that in order for me to play without CTD I have to use windowed mode borderless at native res. I was getting consistent ctd's, changed it and no ctd's so far in the past 2 days since changing. but yeah I got out of the fast lane quite a while ago. But good you posted this info just the same.

Kind of strange in that in order for me to play without CTD I have to use windowed mode borderless at native res. I was getting consistent ctd's, changed it and no ctd's so far in the past 2 days since changing. but yeah I got out of the fast lane quite a while ago. But good you posted this info just the same.

I have to do the same or I get a CTD every time I try to capture game play. I am running Win 10 build 10586.63 and using Nvidia ShadowPlay to record.

Guest Mogie56

If i'am not mistaken any options that are grayed out need to be enabled. most of windows 10 options are apps. I had that problem a long time ago where I couldn't shut down then found out I had to enable that app. strange.

Guest Mogie56

Only if you opt in to be an insider and on the fast track. I opted out in Dec. my last build is 10586.63 I was just having to many problems with the betas. once they fix what's in 11102 then I'll probably get it at some point, but yeah updates are forced and a lot of betas for insiders/fast track. Kind of like opting in for steam Betas.....PAIN

OH.. then you only get the tested and pretty secure updates if you aren't on the fast track.. thanks for the explanation. I was getting all mad for nothing thinking they were forcing beta software on their users. :D. Now they only force beta software on their users.. :P.. all be it a bit more tested.. lol.

Well this is usually why I refrain from switching between them.  I usually play anything I have in windowed mode from FFXiV to Fallout 4.  Its just more convenient for me.  Yes I do get the occasional crash but that's mostly from to many people on the screen (seriously was in Foundation the other day in FFXiV and there were like 40+ people online, can you blame my PC for going, "Yeah NOOO...owie!") and when I'm fucking around on Fallout 4 (I was testing a new defense grid of the Castle and spawned about 100 or so synths on my head.  It was funny though; never seen that many rocket launchers going off xD).

It really comes down to just being mindful of your gameplay.  Remember your computer is not an actual alien super computer, show it a little love, baby it a little and take care of it.  I remember helping a guy with his PC because he was complaining of heat issues and slow down.  Discovered later there was a whole nest of rats made a home inside the tower.  Yeah that was crazy.

Yea.. leave it to Microsoft to screw up the option that will allow a simple shutdown. Also with windows 10 aren't you required to follow their updates (forced).

Yes, but what they are talking about is something different as I understand.

In Windows 10 Home, it is not possible to make changes to how the Windows Update works - it is automatic, and one cannot choose which updates will be downloaded and installed. It is possible to postpone the restart of the system, but after some time, the system will restart on its own. By contrast, the Windows Pro and Enterprise editions both have an option to postpone updates completely, which can be further customized so that the system will ask the user which updates they wish to download. Windows 10 Home, however, does not support this feature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions

http://www.howtogeek.com/223068/what-you-need-to-know-about-windows-update-on-windows-10/

Updates. The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/07/windows-10-updates-to-be-automatic-and-mandatory-for-home-users/

Fast Ring/Slow Ring thing is an "windows insider" feature from what I understand, i.e. public beta test program.

Since October of 2014, Microsoft has split the Windows 10 Insider program into two broad populations, called “rings.” The slow ring gets slightly older builds of Windows 10, perhaps delayed by a week or two, while the fast ring gets newer builds.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-join-the-windows-10-insider-preview-fast-ring-and-why-you-want-to/

It's pretty much like saying "yes, control my pc and I'm also willing to be your guinea pig"...

By contrast, the Windows Pro and Enterprise editions both have an option to postpone updates completely, which can be further customized so that the system will ask the user which updates they wish to download. Windows 10 Home, however, does not support this feature.

Good when/ if I move to Windows 10 I need Pro version.

Guest Mogie56

If you have Windows 7 pro or windows 8/8.1 pro then you get windows 10 pro. otherwise you buy the one you want. if you wait till "Almost" the one year free period much of the headaches should be worked out ;) but you know MS.

If you have Windows 7 pro or windows 8/8.1 pro then you get windows 10 pro. otherwise you buy the one you want. if you wait till "Almost" the one year free period much of the headaches should be worked out ;) but you know MS.

Iwas thinking of the very thing. I have pro/ultimate versions of 7

Guest Mogie56

Well it's normal to have misgivings given MS's track record but 10 is imho their best effort so far, as far as an "operating system" goes and in comparison to some of their previous iterations. at least this time you didn't have to fork over hard earned cash for a few headaches. this time the headaches are Freeeee  LOL 

In fact anything above win 7/8 home gets pro 10 since there are only two versions this time, home and pro. no ultimate this time.

My Humble Opinion:

Win 10 is really similar to Win 7. Far better background (like memory management on multi core support)

Completely get rid of the Win 8 crazy stuff (like the start panel that I'll hate every single day I have to use Windows 2012.)

Compatible with whatever was compatible with Win 7. (And not so much compatible with XP only stuff)

So, moving from 7 to 10, is easy. Moving from XP to 10 is complex, but one day you have to do it.

Moving from 8 or 8.1? Why you didn't do it already dumbass? (Sorry for the bad word.)

Archived