NMM from 0.52.+to 0.70.+ ( important info, help, tips & tricks)

Finally crashed

After hundred's of hours using NMM 0.61.23, it finally unrecoverably crashed. lol....

I have been using NMM like a maniac, installing, uninstalling, overwriting, moving up and down many mods, virtualInstall folder and did all normal and bizarre tweaks, changes, manipulation of its settings and folders. NMM handled it amazingly. But, this morning when I tried to uninstall 2 mods, it reported that mods aren't disabled, but when I did disable them, NMM couldn't perform the action. When deleting those mods manually from both places, Virtuallinstall folder and Skyrim Mods folder, NMM reported missing mods and tried to uninstalled them but unsuccessfully. It tried to do it every time I started NMM but failed. Virtuallinstall folder got damaged and couldn't been recovered at all. So I had to reinstall NMM and chose another location for placing VI folder.

NMM uninstalled all my mods and reinstalled them very correctly. Good work guys from NMM team.

I'm very thrilled that NMM worked so long after all I did to it. :D  If someone will treat me like I treated NMM, I'll stop working long time ago. :lol:

Thank you, NMM team for this wonderful manager that showed it's full power although being in Beta.

That is what broke NMM. Unless I misunderstood you you still left the MOD Info intact. (xml file) The same likely would have happened with FOMM as well (predecessor to NMM)

Your statement makes me wonder if we can "clean" NMM by uninstalling all the mods... shut down NMM... and remove the install info.... then restart the manager. Then work through manually reinstalling the mods again to get a fresh install mod xml file This might have been a solution to your problem without killing NMM. I suspect it was hanging on the info and finally crashed.

No, my friend, that didn't broke my manager, that  is only one more evidence that NMM was already broken. :)

NMM couldn't uninstall any mod before I perform that action. It couldn't disable the mod before uninstallation. When I deleted mods manually from MODS folder in the past, NMM fixed missing index by deleting all references to those mods and all was fine. This time it couldn't do it no matter how many times I tried. Reinstallation of NMM was only solution because it fixed broken structure. I didn't have to have reinstall any mod, all were there working and stable. BTW - reinstallation of NMM toook me about 1 minute. :)

To answer your question: it is possible to do it.

Yes.. I understand but think the xml file was corrupted which was the case of the error and problem. Reason you couldn't uninstall it was it was corrupted and the reason for it to keep on trying to reinstall it and not recognizing it was removed. However you do have more experience with NMM than I do :) So maybe I am approaching this all wrong.

Finally crashed

After hundred's of hours using NMM 0.61.23, it finally unrecoverably crashed. lol....

I have been using NMM like a maniac, installing, uninstalling, overwriting, moving up and down many mods, virtualInstall folder and did all normal and bizarre tweaks, changes, manipulation of its settings and folders. NMM handled it amazingly. But, this morning when I tried to uninstall 2 mods, it reported that mods aren't disabled, but when I did disable them, NMM couldn't perform the action. When deleting those mods manually from both places, Virtuallinstall folder and Skyrim Mods folder, NMM reported missing mods and tried to uninstalled them but unsuccessfully. It tried to do it every time I started NMM but failed. Virtuallinstall folder got damaged and couldn't been recovered at all. So I had to reinstall NMM and chose another location for placing VI folder.

NMM uninstalled all my mods and reinstalled them very correctly. Good work guys from NMM team.

I'm very thrilled that NMM worked so long after all I did to it. :D  If someone will treat me like I treated NMM, I'll stop working long time ago. :lol:

Thank you, NMM team for this wonderful manager that showed it's full power although being in Beta.

That is what broke NMM. Unless I misunderstood you you still left the MOD Info intact. (xml file) The same likely would have happened with FOMM as well (predecessor to NMM)

Your statement makes me wonder if we can "clean" NMM by uninstalling all the mods... shut down NMM... and remove the install info.... then restart the manager. Then work through manually reinstalling the mods again to get a fresh install mod xml file This might have been a solution to your problem without killing NMM. I suspect it was hanging on the info and finally crashed.

No, my friend, that didn't broke my manager, that  is only one more evidence that NMM was already broken. :)

NMM couldn't uninstall any mod before I perform that action. It couldn't disable the mod before uninstallation. When I deleted mods manually from MODS folder in the past, NMM fixed missing index by deleting all references to those mods and all was fine. This time it couldn't do it no matter how many times I tried. Reinstallation of NMM was only solution because it fixed broken structure. I didn't have to have reinstall any mod, all were there working and stable. BTW - reinstallation of NMM toook me about 1 minute. :)

Yes.. I understand but think the xml file was corrupted which was the case of the error and problem. Reason you couldn't uninstall it was it was corrupted and the reason for it to keep on trying to reinstall it and not recognizing it was removed. However you do have more experience with NMM than I do :) So maybe I am approaching this all wrong.

My friend, I'm not saying you're wrong. You might have right about broken xml file structure, but, honestly for me it was much easier and quicker to reinstall NMM then trying to fix something that's dealing with scripting... which is not my area at all. 

So, your suggestion for trying to fix xml file stays, but for those who knows how to do it, who have time and will and the last but not the least, the adventurous spirit. :)

Finally crashed

My friend, I'm not saying you're wrong. You might have right about broken xml file structure, but, honestly for me it was much easier and quicker to reinstall NMM then trying to fix something that's dealing with scripting... which is not my area at all. 

So, your suggestion for trying to fix xml file stays, but for those who knows how to do it, who have time and will and the last but not the least, the adventurous spirit. :)

True enough it would have been quicker to reinstall and activate the mods again. That part is true and it is nicer and quicker to do. sometimes the quick and dirty is the best way... :P  My thoughts were more academic than practical.

My only problem with Fallout 4 was some of the mods weren't installing/uninstalling correctly. I was able to see this when one of them hung badly. I did something along the lines you did and uninstalled all and then nuked my install and then reworked it back. When removing the steam game after uninstalling the files through NMM there were quite a bit of files left over.

The good news is I used your advise a bit back (after my problem unfortunately) to Uninstall from all profiles and so far no hangs or signs of orphaned files. Well at least I think that was your advise. :)

ritual - I'm glad you solved your problem.. :)   ... but me?! ... I did stupid rookie's mistake again; I'm the person who shouldn't do anything on computer (even not playing cards) or speak at all when being tired or frustrated or having not concentration. But, being stupid as only I can be, I was forcing myself to prepare everything for reinstallation of Skyrim... so, being tired and not having concentration I forgot to back up all my mods, presets, NMM settings and similar ... but, instead of doing it I permanently deleted all important stuff. ... and of course, everything went straight to hell... I lost everything ... lol...

My dear Skyrim comrades, don't be like me but if you are, if you feel urge to do something important; deletion, uninstalling, removing files and folders and similar things, please, DON'T. if you can't resist that urge, slap your face, fuck somebody, get drunk or sing; do everything else that comes to your mind but STAY AWAY FROM YOUR COMPUTER. There is 99% chance that you will screw up something.  ;):D

ritual - I'm glad you solved your problem.. :)   ... but me?! ... I did stupid rookie's mistake again; I'm the person who shouldn't do anything on computer (even not playing cards) or speak at all when being tired or frustrated or having not concentration. But, being stupid as only I can be, I was forcing myself to prepare everything for reinstallation of Skyrim... so, being tired and not having concentration I forgot to back up all my mods, presets, NMM settings and similar ... but, instead of doing it I permanently deleted all important stuff. ... and of course, everything went straight to hell... I lost everything ... lol...

My dear Skyrim comrades, don't be like me but if you are, if you feel urge to do something important; deletion, uninstalling, removing files and folders and similar things, please, DON'T. if you can't resist that urge, slap your face, fuck somebody, get drunk or sing; do everything else that comes to your mind but STAY AWAY FROM YOUR COMPUTER. There is 99% chance that you will screw up something.  ;):D

Our Dear Elf Prince, we have all done this, being tired is one thing, Being drunk, is another. Modding Skyrim i download, install, loot, fore, redux patch, and think i am good, But some how I deleted my skyrim INI file. do not know how but it was done. So, I can speak as you do. Do not be drunk and mod skyrim!!!!

lol ... the lesson has been received and learned.... btw - I can't stand alcohol... i rarely get drunk and when that happens I'm far away from my computer but being romantic, sad and listen to the music. ;)

an advice of a good friend and an old man.  ;)  :)

if you skyrim new installed have (with all your mods), then make of your DATA folder, a backup copy (external).

once you once mess up something again, then the Data folder in the game, delete and replace it with the backup copy!

lasts for me usually, a maximum of 30 minutes.  :P

Winny - thanks a lot for advice. I did have a copy of my mods on the other partition, but a I was cleaning my HDD, I didn't noticed I deleted those folders too. I was tired and not concentrated enough. The worst part is that I permanently deleted those files.

Must be more disciplined and no matter how much I want to do things on my computer, I have to say away from it when being in such a state. :)

Winny - thanks a lot for advice. I did have a copy of my mods on the other partition, but a I was cleaning my HDD, I didn't noticed I deleted those folders too. I was tired and not concentrated enough. The worst part is that I permanently deleted those files.

Must be more disciplined and no matter how much I want to do things on my computer, I have to say away from it when being in such a state. :)

not to your computer save, I mean external (separate from the system)!

I have two external hard drives each with 2000GB, on it contains all my mods, several games that are not currently needed.

everything that can not be so easily erased, because when not in use the connection is interrupted to my computer.  ;)

if you skyrim new installed have (with all your mods), then make of your DATA folder, a backup copy (external).

once you once mess up something again, then the Data folder in the game, delete and replace it with the backup copy!

This works if you are using the "old" NMM - 0.56

This is not the correct way to backup if you are using the new version. Especially if you have the game installed on a smaller SSD.

What will happen after you apply such a backup is that the game now takes 2 times more space. Also as NMM is not aware of the backup you end up with discrepancies between what NMM thinks is installed and what actually is. This will only escalate in time and at some point it will be extremely hard to debug problems forcing you to do a clean reinstall. 

This is not the correct way to backup if you are using the new version. Especially if you have the game installed on a smaller SSD.

What will happen after you apply such a backup is that the game now takes 2 times more space. Also as NMM is not aware of the backup you end up with discrepancies between what NMM thinks is installed and what actually is. This will only escalate in time and at some point it will be extremely hard to debug problems forcing you to do a clean reinstall. 

Oh sorry, I'm my own manager.

I do everything manually and therefore no problem for me.

I have no idea of any version of NMM.  :)

Oh sorry, I'm my own manager.

I do everything manually and therefore no problem for me.

I have no idea of any version of NMM.  :)

Well, the thread is dedicated to NMM, so I wanted to point out that making a backup in this way will create only problems for the NMM users.  :)

---snip---

Well, the thread is dedicated to NMM, so I wanted to point out that making a backup in this way will create only problems for the NMM users.  :)

that * Oh * was unfounded.  :P 

I know around what it here goes in this thread.

@Elf Prince is a very good friend and we both teasing us very often.

who the harm has, need for ridicule not to worry. (German proverb) Fun.  :lol:

Our Dear Elf Prince, we have all done this, being tired is one thing, Being drunk, is another. Modding Skyrim i download, install, loot, fore, redux patch, and think i am good, But some how I deleted my skyrim INI file. do not know how but it was done. So, I can speak as you do. Do not be drunk and mod skyrim!!!!

Friends don't let Friends mod drunk.

Modding while drunk kills games.

:P

---snip---

that * Oh * was unfounded.  :P 

I know around what it here goes in this thread.

@Elf Prince is a very good friend and we both teasing us very often.

who the harm has, need for ridicule not to worry. (German proverb) Fun.  :lol:

@winny257

You aren't the only one that modded their game manually. I did for Fallout 4 for some time until my games mods list became complex and I just got too lazy to do the manual way anymore. That is when I went to use NMM. :P

Come to think of it all the games from Oblivion through Fallout 4 (some mass effect as well :P) was manually modded at first. It really isn't as difficult as some present and you know what I am talking about. However if you screw up... Man you got some work to fix. Not as easy as clicking a button and telling a mod manager to uninstall :P.

Now if you are tired and just have to continue with screwing with your mods (or drunk) the at least copy off the NMM folder virtual folder etc (and any other folders that prinyo and Elf Prince state :P) just in case. I regularly copy off the data for my games mods to an old drive I have laying around. Don't take much and after a week or so and you are satisfied with your game just delete it. Easy peasy

@Elf Prince.

I don't drink at all. I am an alien ;)

Just to conclude this drama I had with hazard of my Skyrim, NMM and all my mods.... ;)

Although I lost everything I worked on for months and spent 24 hours in downloading Skyrim from Steam, finding the mods I had and installing them, tweaking my ENB and some mods that took another 10 hours, I'm more then content - My Skyrim works much better then the one I had before. So smooth so perfect. :)

And .. lol ... After I installed all my mods, I created a backup of my MODS folder on another partition with capital letter title: "DON'T TOUCH THIS FOLDER OR I WILL KILL YA, YOU STUPID MORON"... and of course... Plan B: I made a copy of that backup and I hid it in the case that I ignore the message from that folder name. (of course I wrote down that I have hidden MODS folder in the case I forget..)

Just to conclude this drama I had with hazard of my Skyrim, NMM and all my mods.... ;)

Although I lost everything I worked on for months and spent 24 hours in downloading Skyrim from Steam, finding the mods I had and installing them, tweaking my ENB and some mods that took another 10 hours, I'm more then content - My Skyrim works much better then the one I had before. So smooth so perfect. :)

And .. lol ... After I installed all my mods, I created a backup of my MODS folder on another partition with capital letter title: "DON'T TOUCH THIS FOLDER OR I WILL KILL YA, YOU STUPID MORON"... and of course... Plan B: I made a copy of that backup and I hid it in the case that I ignore the message from that folder name. (of course I wrote down that I have hidden MODS folder in the case I forget..)

Isn't it amazing that if you reload and rework your mods fresh it runs so well?

This seems to be a universal fact!

Isn't it amazing that if you reload and rework your mods fresh it runs so well?

This seems to be a universal fact!

hahahahahhhaa -so true my friend, so true :)

If anyone here is working on a beta and new features there is one that I believe is needed or at least desirable.

NMM is designed to be continuously used and inform you of all the nice new updates from mods from Nexus. It also downloads them and keeps them nice and safe. (except from people like Elf Prince that decides to delete them :P) This makes a single issue that I would like to resolve with a simple solution. 

Issue:

Old mods that are kept because of archive reasons in case a profile needs it or one might need to roll back to the previous one. In time you can have 4 or 5 or even more versions of that mod. Sometimes the author changes the name and it is placed in different locations of the loader (if sorted by name). yes you can change the name etc but it requires more work. Something that many users of NMM want to avoid. They choose NMM over MO for one reason simplicity of use. ;) (or in my case not being able to use MO for Fallout 4.. however that is entirely different reason from most ;))

Solution:

I think having the option (right click) to hide old mods from the main menu and perhaps a sort option like what is available for Author, version, Download date etc would be useful as well. This would allow someone to keep all the mods they download for as long as they want provided they have the space :P of course. and make it easier for them to activate various mods with new Profiles and be more sure of the fact that they are the most current version without resulting in having to rename the various mods.

This will also greatly help when the profile uploader is implemented. as one can have all the mods and even use older profile backups as they would still have the previous versions of the mod (provided the Profiler does take version into consideration when uploaded)

Of course as a disclaimer I am not as experienced with NMM as many here are so I might not be understanding the process or reasons for the design decisions.

Well, ritual - I think that this new features are very handy. I personally like some old mods more then new ones. So, keeping them "alive" and available for use is very good option. The present version of NMM (0.61.23) sometimes upgrades my mods to the latest version although I didn't want manager to do it. I believe it was a bug that appears from time to time. As for me, having option: "Automatic mod upgrade - Yes/No",  would be very useful. If it is disabled, the user can be sure that the manager wouldn't upgrade mod(s) by itself but on demand.

As for "Profiles" I wish that NMM team would finally make multiple saves option. If the user would have different profiles it will be good if the manager would save the game under the present playing profile, not in the same "basket", and that the profiles would be completely "independent" from each other. Let's say that I have a two profiles, what's the point of installing mod(s) in one profile and that same mod is installed but disabled in anther profiles. For me, every profile should be for its own. If I don't want some mod in another profile it shouldn't be there in any form.

The present profile management must be improved in relationship  with LOOT and Wrye bash mod management. At present, every time when user switching the profile they MUST run LOOT and Wrye bash because both programs have "last records" of the last profile used. Since profiles contains different mods if user do not run these programs, might have a game crashing and/or serious save damage. I'm impressed how NMM team integrated FNIS into the manager. Every time user change a profile, NMM responds with popping up a message that FNIS has to be run due to mod changes. THIS should be available for LOOT and WB since both programs closely works with NMM.

I apologize for my English. Hope it is understandable enough.

This is the main reason why I didn't ask to join NMM Beta testers.

You should not need to run LOOT or WB after switching profiles.

NMM is supposed to remember the load order for each profile. You only need to run FNIS.

The terms "installed" and "activated" mods are confusing. "Activated" actually means "installed" - as it is installed and used by the game. "Installed" means "unpacked" or "prepared" as it is unpacked in the internal VI folder of NMM but has nothing to do with the game. It is done for speed - you don't want to wait too much while switching profiles. 

About the auto update of mods and "extended" automatic mod management we'll need to see first how the profile backup and share will handle mod updates. The last beta I have is remembering versions as part of the profiles (it looks for the numbers in the name of the zip/rar file). My account at the beta testers group was suspended because of 2 weeks of inactivity and I felt buthurt and did not activate it again. 

You should not need to run LOOT or WB after switching profiles.

NMM is supposed to remember the load order for each profile. You only need to run FNIS.

The terms "installed" and "activated" mods are confusing. "Activated" actually means "installed" - as it is installed and used by the game. "Installed" means "unpacked" or "prepared" as it is unpacked in the internal VI folder of NMM but has nothing to do with the game. It is done for speed - you don't want to wait too much while switching profiles. 

About the auto update of mods and "extended" automatic mod management we'll need to see first how the profile backup and share will handle mod updates. The last beta I have is remembering versions as part of the profiles (it looks for the numbers in the name of the zip/rar file). My account at the beta testers group was suspended because of 2 weeks of inactivity and I felt buthurt and did not activate it again. 

Thanks for the clarification prinyo. Unfortunately, I have to run LOOT and Wrye bash after switching profiles because it doesn't remember load order for each profile.

Well, ritual - I think that this new features are very handy. I personally like some old mods more then new ones. So, keeping them "alive" and available for use is very good option. The present version of NMM (0.61.23) sometimes upgrades my mods to the latest version although I didn't want manager to do it. I believe it was a bug that appears from time to time. As for me, having option: "Automatic mod upgrade - Yes/No",  would be very useful. If it is disabled, the user can be sure that the manager wouldn't upgrade mod(s) by itself but on demand.

I don't believe my NMM has auto updated any mods yet. I am using the most current one. Perhaps it is a Skyrim issue? I only use it for Fallout 4.

I don't believe my NMM has auto updated any mods yet. I am using the most current one. Perhaps it is a Skyrim issue? I only use it for Fallout 4.

Sorry for not being cleared enough. No, NMM doesn't have "Mod Auto updating" yet and I don't know if they will have it in the future. It was my desire that NMM would have it. And I was saying that if NMM would have it one day, it will be very useful. :)

Automatic mod updating is a bug in my case that happens veeeeery rarely but it happens. Something in the manager trigger updating certain mod without me telingl it to do it. It happens when I click on "Check for mod updates". But, as I say, it happens veeeeeery rarely.