NMM from 0.52.+to 0.70.+ ( important info, help, tips & tricks)

Short report on NMM 0.61.23 (new Skyrim install and NMM install)

(test was done with 142 active plugins and 132 active mods on Windows 7 Pro)

1. Uninstallation of all mods went well and without any errors or freezing.

2. Uninstallation of NMM went flawless.

3. Installation of Skyrim went flawless

4. Installation of the manager went flawless (I placed the VirtualInstall folder on the same location as before)

5. Installation of all mods went flawless, quite fast and without any freezing or errors.

6. Adding additional tools to tool bar (Tes5edit, Wrye bash, LOOT, FNIS) went flawless.

7. "Drag and drop" function works flawless

8. Some mods still don't have ID but it will be fiexed in next release

9. Installation of "True Vision ENB" went flawless

Hey Elf, is their a way to backup your mods when you do a re-install or is it best to do it fresh? I'm upgrading my video cards to the GTX 1080 and they'll have 8gb of ram. I've read that unless you run Windows 7 skyrim and your enbs will only use 4gb of VRAM on your card so I'm thinking of running a dual boot of W10 for newer and W7 for older. Thanks

Hey Elf, is their a way to backup your mods when you do a re-install or is it best to do it fresh? I'm upgrading my video cards to the GTX 1080 and they'll have 8gb of ram. I've read that unless you run Windows 7 skyrim and your enbs will only use 4gb of VRAM on your card so I'm thinking of running a dual boot of W10 for newer and W7 for older. Thanks

Yes,,, I always copy my mods on separate folder on the desktop for if, god forbid, something goes wrong. Usually it doesn't but you never know. If you want to reinstall Skyrim and NMM (which is the recommended), Do not delete virtual install folder. Levae it as it was, Just make sure when you reinstall NMM to place VirtualInstall folder on the same place as it was before. All your mods will be listed in your categories. All you have to do then is to activate them. That's how I did it.

Fallout 4

New version.

Had a glitch with something else on my computer. No mater how hard I tried I couldn't get it to work properly. It was a Firefox problem. Well finally I tested a new account in Win7. This resulted in fixing the fire fox problem but caused Nexus to not know who I was. :).

It went through all the process to start. I changed the folders to where they were before and clicked to start. Then had the promptingpost-89432-0-07860900-1464542282_thumb.png

Went back in and used the check mark to activate all the mods. configured LOOT, ran it and sorted the plugins. (none of the positions changed during this) and now all seems to be fine. :). Using the current 0.61.23

So far nothing serious to report and all seems to be working as intended.

Opps forgot to start Steam and log on and configure the Fallout 4 to run. :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

ok that s great but how do you put animation in there because with 162 full i have no animation they just stand there like idiots but in 159c i did nt have to do nothing to get them to have animation what i did was un installed 159c and installed 162 full is that right if so why dont i have animation can someone help because i am not very good at this sort of thing  

it has nothing to do with NMM. YOu have to turn on the mod if I am correct. Not sure about what to click inside the mod however I am sure you have to turn it on after installing it and wait for it to fully activate. It don't run right away. For further info I'd check with the Sexlab thread.

ELZ1lGdN.jpg

Dear friends, I'm afraid that's true. I have a bad news:

Last two days we had a rainy thunder storms weather. Whenever we have them I always unplug all electronic devices from the wall socket.

Unfortunately, this time I was caught by surprise by the thunder stroke. While I was in bathroom, the thunder stroke hit the nearby building. The stroke was so loud and hard that it burned most of my electronic devices (microwave, TV, my computer, and fridge). I'm not the only one who experienced such tragedy. My neighbors did too. Lucky are those who has insurance.

So, my computer is dead: motherboard, CPU, graphic card and PC screen burned out). Thanks to my sister's computer (that was unplugged after she left), I can access the net. Sadly, her computer is very weak and old and it can't run Skyrim. Therefore, I must say that I can't do NMM tests and I don't know when I will be able to do it since I got no money for new one.

6351.gif

I'm so sorry. When (and if) I would be able to buy another PC, I will let you know.

Wish you all well and thank you for being my faithful readers and supporters.

• 2 weeks later...

Fallout 4

NMM is working fine.

Had an update glitch where the new version some reason didn't tell me to update it. IT still shown good. Might be error on my part as I don't know NMM that well

Loot is now to 0.9.1 and seems to have corrected some of the issues it was telling me that were incompatible mods. Robot Home defense and Settlement Keywords Expanded. Now it shows it is compatible. Which I believe should be from what I read. Haven't tested it yet.

@Elf Prince...

Sorry about the news. Hopefully you will be back on your feet soon as possible. Still can jump in and say hi and help out from time to time even if you can't test something. Your experience means a lot and not much has changed over the various versions related to installation and usage. For the future try to get a UPC. I have bad power where I am at and it saves my computer. I have had it die just from the fluctuations in power before. Now I use one and haven't had an electrical issue yet due to power. Won't stop a direct hit to the power lines but will stop brown outs or surges pretty well. Still good to unplug when risky but can give a level of protection outside of the system.

Finally your hard drive might still be good. The power supply should cut off when something like that happens. Some power will "surge" through but might be good enough to copy off the important data (NMM files etc) so that when you can get back to a computer you can upload what you had and play a bit before diving back in to support. :) Lord knows I am pretty sure you will want to play the shit out of the game when you get a computer than can ;).

That ends my experience on Fallout 4. NMM use

ritual - thank you a lot for your report on FO4.

The computer drama changed positively and fuck me, but I don't know why I didn't inform LL community about changes as I did i my Sextopia World thread.  Thanks to you, I will do it now with apologies to all community.

1. There is nothing new in NMM "world", still waiting for new version, 0.61.24

2. Yes, I'm back to NMM testing, informing and help because (dated on June, 16):

My cousin (from my mother's side) from Pula city that was recently in visit called me an 20 minutes ago and I shared my problem with computer with her. She said that she is willing to take a credit and buy me a new PC. She's coming tomorrow morning to Rijeka and will go to buy it. YAY!!!

hXvRHbaD.gif

The monthly rate will be 32 Euro for 18 months. I talked to my uncle and he is willing to participate in giving half of the rate.

We gonna tighten the belt for some time, but we'll survive.  :D  :lol:  :D 

Please, accept my apologies for not informing you promptly about this.

NMM 0.61.23 report on profiles creating/manipulating,

mod(s) installation/uninstallation and other things

Since I can't play Skyrim (no longer then 5 minutes the most) because it's too hot (38 C or 100.4000 F) in my room, I did some profile(s) testing.

I created 2 profiles, one profile with all mods I like to play and second profile, with less heavy scripted mods.

1. Installing the mods in Profile 1 went flawless. When checking those mods in Profile 2, they were present but disabled, not active (which is good). NMM always ask you to run FNIS when switching between profiles. Always run FNIS when asked.... always or you can break your game (save),

2. Uninstallation of mods in Profile 1 went flawless. When checking for uninstalled mods from Profile 1 in Profile 2, they were there. That means NMM uninstalled mods only from desired profile. Uninstallation of the mods from either profile works good.

3. Using "Uninstall mod from all profiles" function, works flawless. NMM uninstalled desired mod from both profiles.

4. Using "Delete mod (Permanently) and Uninstall" function, works flawless. NMM uninstalled and deleted mods from both profiles without leaving any traces.

5. Using LOOT 0.9.1 integrated in NMM works flawless. I ran LOOT in both profiles and LOOT recognized installed mods from both.

Soo... Ignoring minor bugs, this version, manages profiles veeeery good. I'm satisfied. :)

Additional report to upper post about profiles

I created 2 more profiles, just to see how NMM would behave with "large number" of profiles. So, all together I had 4.

1. Installation and uninstallation of the mods in one profile doesn't have negative impact on other profiles. NMM handles it very well.

2. every single profile had some different mods that weren't exist in other profiles. NMM handled it flawlessly.

3. Loading the game from NMM with every profile works flawless.

4. Uninstalling unwanted mods from profiles doesn't ruin game stability. NMM cleans junk files very good, but it is always recommend to check your Skyrim/Data folder too. (I always do that .. one can never be sure enough)

5. Deleting unwanted profiles doesn't have negative impact on other profiles and the game stability.

@ Elf Prince.

Looks like you got your new computer :) Congrats if so

Fallout 4 Report.

I don't use Profiles so I don't actually test them so I can't verify what is or isn't going on with them.

I did run into a very strange and disturbing issue yesterday. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12465/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Ffallout4%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D12465&pUp=1

The above site mod (version 1.0.3) just had a constant spinning wheel when trying to install it. The new version does install properly (so far) but also took a horrible time. Even after killing NMM 2 separate times it still wouldn't work properly (install that is)

All requirements updated, mods current (according to LOOT) and proper and current F4SE as well.

On a side note... I have had NMM running for enough time that I have now several removed mods (due to upgrades or incompatibilities with current mods chosen) and other than above it has been working satisfactory.

Two (small) tips/tricks

I'm sure you all know this but I will write it just as reminder. Since I spend a lot of time in testing NMM profiles and mod installation/uninstallation in various profiles, I found a small tricks that might save your time when installing uninstalling mods.

1. After downloading heavy scripted mods, big file mods and animation mods (such as More nasty critters, SexLab, Maria Eden, Apachii hair and so on and so on), you should close NMM before installation. Open NMM after 15-30 seconds to let OS memory to  reduce memory usage and improve performance and than install mod one by one (if having 2 or more mods) repeating the step from upper sentence after each mod. This trick will significantly reduce the time of installation.

2. Same procedure works for installation/uninstallation of texture replacers, Skeleton, and overhaul mods. If you uninstalled named mods, close NMM, go to Skyrim/Data and check if NMM cleaned all junk files from those mods. If they are some files left behind, delete them manually. So far I didn't find any. After making sure that all is clean, proceed with installation of new mod.

Description: NMM users who play Maria Eden mod and having KS hairdos Renewal mod and Apachii hair mod, knows hot much time NMM needs to unpack and install those mods. I'm using them too. Being impatient with the installation/uninstallation of both mods I decide to apply upper tricks. My dear friends, you won't believe how this tricks reduced operation time. I was monitoring those processes and these tricks makes operations 2-3 faster and shorter. :)

Disclamer: These tricks should work for everyone who are using Win 7 64bit, but if they don't work for some reason, I'm not taking responsibility for that. I'm simply sharing my experience with you. These tests took several hours (5-6) of testings and I repeated each of them several times.

Bug in the version 0.61.23 (Reinstall Mod)

(I wrote about this bug in earlier NMM version reports)

"Reinstall mod" function is not fixed yet. If you press that key, NMM will reinstall mod but it will be grayed in the mod category list. NMM will also show the mod as activated in "Plugins" but the mod wouldn't work or will work very buggy (depends about the mod).

If you try to use "Install and activate" option on reinstalled mod, NMM is unable to complete operation because it treats is as activated. So, there is a gap between reinstalled mod listed in "Plugins" and that particular mod in mod list.

Solution: When this happens (I already wrote about this some time ago), use "Uninstall and Delete" option from the menu. Once it is moved from the mod list category, just install the mod again using big green cross on the left side of the Manager panel. And avoid to use "Reinstall" function.

• 2 weeks later...

Fallout 4 Report.

I started having problems with assets going missing. Thought it was a mod or something I installed. Diagnosed that it wasn't that. I went through and uninstalled all the mods from NMM and checked the files in Fallout 4. There are files left. NMM didn't clean them out properly. I suspect that during the installation (shortly after the spinning wheel mentioned before) NMM started messing up the installs of the mods when they conflicted with other mods. (not letting the proper assets win out. ) I state this as sometimes textures from before shown through when they should have been overwritten. Now I didn't go deep into the mods and extract and verify it. Didn't have enough time. Thought I would go and clean out NMM and Fallout 4 and start again. and found what I suspected that there was files left over.

Below is the left over files after completely uninstalling the files and removing my custom bats. (also removing F4SE..Copy ... highlight... select delete to be sure none of them were left)

Data.7z

Not much but still one of the main jobs of a mod manager is to manage the files being installed and removed. NMM didn't do this. Never gave an error or indication that it had a problem with these files. The files below were removed from the game a long time ago and upgraded.

Thank you for the report ritual.

You see, NMM had a problem to clean junk files after installation of some mods for Skyrim, especially Maria Eden. Versions 0.61.22 and 0.61.23 doesn't have those problems any more. I did test on many (almost all in my game) heavy scripted mods, textures mods and followers (who are by the way the worst mods for cleaning after uninstallation for NMM) and I'm pleasantly surprised how well NMM does its job. Almost perfect. Regardless, I always check my Skyrim/Data for junks files after uninstallation of the mods.

I guess they still have to work on improvement for FO4.

Thank you for the report ritual.

You see, NMM had a problem to clean junk files after installation of some mods for Skyrim, especially Maria Eden. Versions 0.61.22 and 0.61.23 doesn't have those problems any more. I did test on many (almost all in my game) heavy scripted mods, textures mods and followers (who are by the way the worst mods for cleaning after uninstallation for NMM) and I'm pleasantly surprised who well NMM does it's job. Almost perfect. Regardless, I always check my Skyrim/Data for junks files after uninstallation of the mods.

I guess they still have to work on improvement for FO4.

Forgot the version I am using

Sorry. It is relevant as time goes on.

I believe the issue was when the mod hung on installation of those files. Not the installation that I think back. I post that for users of Fallout 4 to be aware of and perhaps occasionally when they have finished their play thorough and have a break (like I did) to clean up their files.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally crashed

After hundred's of hours using NMM 0.61.23, it finally unrecoverably crashed. lol....

I have been using NMM like a maniac, installing, uninstalling, overwriting, moving up and down many mods, virtualInstall folder and did all normal and bizarre tweaks, changes, manipulation of its settings and folders. NMM handled it amazingly. But, this morning when I tried to uninstall 2 mods, it reported that mods aren't disabled, but when I did disable them, NMM couldn't perform the action. When deleting those mods manually from both places, Virtuallinstall folder and Skyrim Mods folder, NMM reported missing mods and tried to uninstalled them but unsuccessfully. It tried to do it every time I started NMM but failed. Virtuallinstall folder got damaged and couldn't been recovered at all. So I had to reinstall NMM and chose another location for placing VI folder.

NMM uninstalled all my mods and reinstalled them very correctly. Good work guys from NMM team.

I'm very thrilled that NMM worked so long after all I did to it. :D  If someone will treat me like I treated NMM, I'll stop working long time ago. :lol:

Thank you, NMM team for this wonderful manager that showed it's full power although being in Beta.

Just an update on the mod version bug:

NMM stopped updating the mod version numbers and download ID's a few weeks back which was reported as a bug with NMM. It then transpired after a lot of complaints that it was nothing to do with NMM but that Nexus had switched off the facility server side, as the influx of FO4 players was slowing everything down. Why Nexus didn't simply announce this on the front page is a mystery, it would have saved everyone the bother of reporting it.

I'm pleased to report that this facility does now seem to be working again.

Thank you very much slorm. This report is very important. Very much appreciated.

Also, very, very i important tip:

Relocating VirtualInstall folder (before or/and after reinstallation of NMM)

Although I mentioned this earlier in one of my posts, I felt I needed to do it again; if you reinstall NMM, when asked where to install VI:

1. always chose the same place/location as before because NMM will clone previously installed VI with mods and thus double occupied your space on HDD. Same thing would happen with MODS folder with one difference; it will not clone your MODs folder but will create the folder with the same name in which manager will place link info files. Windows File manager is not bright enough and it will incorrectly report/show that Both MODS folders are using a lot of HDD space. Don't be alarmed, because, only one MODS folder is using real HHD space, second one is only info. 

2. Never move VI by yourself, let NMM do it. Doing so, you'll prevent possible mod installation damage.

3. DON'T let NMM reinstall your mods. It will not do it 100% correctly. Some mods will not be installed properly and you will lost your time to reinstall them by yourself. When NMM ask you if you want to let the manager handle your mods, chose "NO". NMM will list your mods and you'll see some of them are disabled, some of them aren't installed and some of them are installed and activated. When NMM finish it's process of setting up, go to the "Tool bar" and chose "Uninstall all mods". The time for uninstallation depends of the quantity of your mods, their size and script heaviness. When manager finish uninstallation of your mods, start to install them manually, one by one. It will take your time but you know that all your mods will be installed.

Positive thought about NMM: I'm thrilled how well the Manager handles and manipulates FOMOD mods. It's very accurate and without errors.

Finally crashed

After hundred's of hours using NMM 0.61.23, it finally unrecoverably crashed. lol....

I have been using NMM like a maniac, installing, uninstalling, overwriting, moving up and down many mods, virtualInstall folder and did all normal and bizarre tweaks, changes, manipulation of its settings and folders. NMM handled it amazingly. But, this morning when I tried to uninstall 2 mods, it reported that mods aren't disabled, but when I did disable them, NMM couldn't perform the action. When deleting those mods manually from both places, Virtuallinstall folder and Skyrim Mods folder, NMM reported missing mods and tried to uninstalled them but unsuccessfully. It tried to do it every time I started NMM but failed. Virtuallinstall folder got damaged and couldn't been recovered at all. So I had to reinstall NMM and chose another location for placing VI folder.

NMM uninstalled all my mods and reinstalled them very correctly. Good work guys from NMM team.

I'm very thrilled that NMM worked so long after all I did to it. :D  If someone will treat me like I treated NMM, I'll stop working long time ago. :lol:

Thank you, NMM team for this wonderful manager that showed it's full power although being in Beta.

That is what broke NMM. Unless I misunderstood you you still left the MOD Info intact. (xml file) The same likely would have happened with FOMM as well (predecessor to NMM)

Your statement makes me wonder if we can "clean" NMM by uninstalling all the mods... shut down NMM... and remove the install info.... then restart the manager. Then work through manually reinstalling the mods again to get a fresh install mod xml file This might have been a solution to your problem without killing NMM. I suspect it was hanging on the info and finally crashed.

Finally crashed

That is what broke NMM. Unless I misunderstood you you still left the MOD Info intact. (xml file) The same likely would have happened with FOMM as well (predecessor to NMM)

Your statement makes me wonder if we can "clean" NMM by uninstalling all the mods... shut down NMM... and remove the install info.... then restart the manager. Then work through manually reinstalling the mods again to get a fresh install mod xml file This might have been a solution to your problem without killing NMM. I suspect it was hanging on the info and finally crashed.

No, my friend, that didn't broke my manager, that  is only one more evidence that NMM was already broken. :)

NMM couldn't uninstall any mod before I perform that action. It couldn't disable the mod before uninstallation. When I deleted mods manually from MODS folder in the past, NMM fixed missing index by deleting all references to those mods and all was fine. This time it couldn't do it no matter how many times I tried. Reinstallation of NMM was only solution because it fixed broken structure. I didn't have to have reinstall any mod, all were there working and stable. BTW - reinstallation of NMM toook me about 1 minute. :)

To answer your question: it is possible to do it.