Blackthorn - Gay Hamlet Patch

YAY! I tried my own personal patch (I feel so important now! My own patch!) and... no crashes. I ran around BT in and out all of the gates, in and out all of the buildings and no problems anymore :D Can you tell me what you added/ deleted to stop the crashes at the East Gate (the follower barracks one)? I am curious what caused it.

Also, do you want me to test the other test patch? I am assuming you didn't deleted the Navmeshes in "my" patch, if so, it seems a bit counter productive to revert the navmeshes if it is already fixed. Well, fixed for me that is. I can't speak for Wyvern of course.

Really?  BGH_2_0_test_for_Vachnic.rar worked? Well well ... Great!

What changed... I removed three areas of "special effects" that trigger when the player enters them. They are scripted to show falling leaves and play a sound of some kind... wind, I'm guessing.

The other file is the same as BGH_2_0_test_for_Vachnic.rar plus removed navmeshes. But if the first one worked for you, then the problem isn't navmeshes, I guess, so need need to try it ... unless you're very curious. ;)

*grmph* Well, I am glad that, at least for me the problem with Blackthorn was solved. But now I am battling to install linux, so it might be a while before I get to play Skyrim again :-\

and "Vachnic's Patch"... I like it! It has a certain class and style to it, like me :)

Hahah... ;)

As for Skyrim on linux, it works well, but installing is a tad painful. Worse once you get to "supporting" software like FNIS, mod organizers, etc. Interesting that those seemingly simpler programs are so much hassle. I can't get any mod org to work reliably, for instance. Anyway, there's a thread on Nexus about Skyrim and linux, if/when you need it.

Sex triggers around the town is a great addition to the mod! ;)

Thank you!

:D  Glad you like! I can now edit the description to mention that explicitly. ;)

Sex triggers around the town is a great addition to the mod! ;)

Thank you!

omg... SPOILERS SPOILERS! I shall have to hurt you real good for giving away the "special content"

*grmph* Well, I am glad that, at least for me the problem with Blackthorn was solved. But now I am battling to install linux, so it might be a while before I get to play Skyrim again :-\

and "Vachnic's Patch"... I like it! It has a certain class and style to it, like me :)

Hahah... ;)

As for Skyrim on linux, it works well, but installing is a tad painful. Worse once you get to "supporting" software like FNIS, mod organizers, etc. Interesting that those seemingly simpler programs are so much hassle. I can't get any mod org to work reliably, for instance. Anyway, there's a thread on Nexus about Skyrim and linux, if/when you need it.

[snipped cos spoilers *grmph*]

Well, I finally managed to install LinuxMint YAY! now to install everything again... Thanks for the tip about the thread on Nexus. I am sure I will desperately need it.

Well, I finally managed to install LinuxMint YAY! now to install everything again... Thanks for the tip about the thread on Nexus. I am sure I will desperately need it.

Oh good, glad you were successful! :)

The thread is here. You'll have to read the whole thing as the info at the start is good, but some is obsolete, with updates coming later in the thread. Also, you'll probably need the attached to get FNIS to work.

And btw, don't even try to get Skyrim installed until you have the nVidia drivers installed and working. Install nvidia-current and nvidia-settings via synaptic.

scrrun.dll.rar

Yah, my BIG issue was the nvidia drivers. It is (finally) sorted now though. Otherwise I wouldn´t be typing here now :D

Aha, ok, good!  Welcome to penguin land! ;)

Got up this AM and did some extensive testing with both the "no navmesh" version of 2.0 posted upthread and version 2.1.

Using version 2.1 I get a consistently reproducible crash. Starting in Ivarstead I walk towards Blackthorn. There's a bear near Angarvunde that hangs out near the road. As soon as it comes into view: ctd. I did this 5 times in a row, and crashed at exactly the same place.

I should note: I'm doing as close to precisely the same set of actions I can each time I test. [Done way too much beta testing over my years of programming.]

As soon as I either remove the mod, or swap to the no navmesh version, the crash disappears. Swap 2.1 back in, and the crash is back. Using the no navmesh version I can reach the city.

Maybe it's not the navmeshes, maybe there's some other difference between the two versions. If you'd toss up a version of 2.1 that's cleaned of your navmesh edits it would be easier to do a 1:1 test.

I never had Vachnic's special effects crash, but I simply cannot reach Blackthorn walking towards it from Ivarstead unless I use the no navmesh version. Starting to suspect that somewhere during your edits a vanilla triangle got flipped or deleted. Either that or something in original Blackthorn is referring to a navmesh you deleted in your patch.

I don't have any mods that refer to that area at all, or make edits to vanilla road encounters. There's no conflicts with either mod with anything in my load order if I make a TES5 merged patch, Mod Organizer does not report any files overwritten or conflicting.

So, got me. Maybe it's something in my setup that's uniquely breaking things. Always possible. However, when I can reproduce a crash consistently, and have it go away when I swap one mod for a different version of the same mod, I can't help but think what you changed between the two versions is causing my issue.

Using version 2.1 I get a consistently reproducible crash. Starting in Ivarstead I walk towards Blackthorn. There's a bear near Angarvunde that hangs out near the road. As soon as it comes into view: ctd. I did this 5 times in a row, and crashed at exactly the same place.

I should note: I'm doing as close to precisely the same set of actions I can each time I test. [Done way too much beta testing over my years of programming.]

As soon as I either remove the mod, or swap to the no navmesh version, the crash disappears. Swap 2.1 back in, and the crash is back. Using the no navmesh version I can reach the city.

Maybe it's not the navmeshes, maybe there's some other difference between the two versions. If you'd toss up a version of 2.1 that's cleaned of your navmesh edits it would be easier to do a 1:1 test.

2.1 is exactly the same as the first test patch I put up for Vachnic. I just packaged it up along with the needed folders (textures, meshes, scripts). The no-navmesh version is 2.1 with the navmesh records stripped out using TES5Edit (not all of them, but most, as noted on that post). In short, whatever is crashing you, is in fact navmesh related. Why, I have no fucking idea. :-|

You say it happens when approaching from Ivarstead. OK, but there are still two possible routes into Blackthorn from there. So which gate are you heading towards? Followers barracks? Farm? I can try removing navmesh from specific cells to try to narrow it down. But any time I touch navmesh, I also do a CK check for errors and finalize.

Try the attached. That's 2.1 (standard) with some navmesh removed in the general area you identified.

Btw Vachnic, did you try walking that route?

What if I'm using SAM instead of SOS and with FloppySOS which also supports both SOS & SAM, so what version should I download?

P.S. Thanks for this mod, it sounds awesome  :D

Glad you like it! :D

As to your question, get the NonSOS version, then manually add FloppySOS to the NPCs you want to have it.

BGH_2-1_Wyvern_Patch.rar

You say it happens when approaching from Ivarstead. OK, but there are still two possible routes into Blackthorn from there. So which gate are you heading towards? Followers barracks? Farm?

The main road from Ivarstead to Blackthorn passes the farm and takes you to the main gate near the trader's post. To get to the gate by the follower's barracks you'd have take the dirt path and circle the city. I'd have specified if I was trying to do that. Also, not quite reaching where I could even make that choice, crashing right before there (roughly where the arrow is):

post-187838-0-67016700-1442441787_thumb.jpg

Tried the patch you made and no joy. Also tried both versions (the wyv patch and the 2.0 navmesh free edit) on a different profile. Different set of mods, much earlier in the game (only completed Dragon Rising on that profile.) Still crashing with the wyv patch, only this time it's a bit closer to Ivarstead.

You say it happens when approaching from Ivarstead. OK, but there are still two possible routes into Blackthorn from there. So which gate are you heading towards? Followers barracks? Farm?

The main road from Ivarstead to Blackthorn passes the farm and takes you to the main gate near the trader's post. To get to the gate by the follower's barracks you'd have take the dirt path and circle the city. I'd have specified if I was trying to do that. Also, not quite reaching where I could even make that choice, crashing right before there (roughly where the arrow is):

attachicon.gifcrash_area.jpg

Tried the patch you made and no joy. Also tried both versions (the wyv patch and the 2.0 navmesh free edit) on a different profile. Different set of mods, much earlier in the game (only completed Dragon Rising on that profile.) Still crashing, only this time it's a bit closer to Ivarstead.

OK, I tried that route when you reported it initially. No crash at all. I'd like to ask Vachnic to try it too, when he's able.

But thus far, you seem to be the only one crashing ... of course maybe others are as well and simply not saying anything.

So... one patch with removed navmesh works for you, the other doesn't. OK, will dig deeper.  [sigh]

Added: Oh, important! Have you tried any of these on a new game? If not, the crash could well be due to a conflict between the mod and something in your save, as Vachnic had happen once. Which means I might be banging my head on the wall for nothing. ;)

unfortunately I am nowhere near a working Skyrim/ Steam install yet, so I am not able to test the Ivarstead route yet. I have never walked that route, so I can´t comment on crashes in that area. As soon as I can, I will test it out with the ¨Vachnic¨ edition *chuckle*

btw, banging your head against a wall is a very good and effective way to clear your head and sinuses.

unfortunately I am nowhere near a working Skyrim/ Steam install yet, so I am not able to test the Ivarstead route yet. I have never walked that route, so I can´t comment on crashes in that area. As soon as I can, I will test it out with the ¨Vachnic¨ edition *chuckle*

No worries at all! as you're able.

I'm starting to suspect that the issue is a conflict with a save.

btw, banging your head against a wall is a very good and effective way to clear your head and sinuses.

Hahah... brat! :D

I'm starting to suspect that the issue is a conflict with a save.

You missed where I said:

Also tried both versions (the wyv patch and the 2.0 navmesh free edit) on a different profile. Different set of mods, much earlier in the game (only completed Dragon Rising on that profile.) Still crashing with the wyv patch, only this time it's a bit closer to Ivarstead.

Mod Organizer profiles do not share saves. If it's a 'save conflict' it's happened in 2 separate profiles, with 2 different sets of mods, 2 different characters, and at 2 different points in the game, in exactly the same way for me.

In neither profile had I been near that area before.

Will happily provide my mod lists for both profiles if you think it might be helpful.

That being said, if no one else is having this issue, feel free to ignore this. I've said all along it may be something particular to my setup. I wouldn't want you wasting time trying to fix something that's only affecting me.

You missed where I said:

Also tried both versions (the wyv patch and the 2.0 navmesh free edit) on a different profile. Different set of mods, much earlier in the game (only completed Dragon Rising on that profile.) Still crashing with the wyv patch, only this time it's a bit closer to Ivarstead.

No, I saw that. But I understood it to mean that they were saves with older Blackthorn's included. Also, I recall that you upgraded from 1.2 to 2.0 (or 2.1) .... and Vachnic had a crash issue when he went from 1.2 to 1.3 (or 1.3a) due to a save with 1.2 in it. Thus my guess.

So I can get this clear in my head: your tests never had anything older than 2.0 in them at all? Whether you went near or not may not be relevant (maybe). If you did have an older patch installed, would you be able to do a real quick test, please, with 2.1 (vanilla from the d/l page or one of the ones attached in the thread)? Start Skyrim, don't load/new, but coc riverwood. Then tmm 1, open map, fast travel to Ivarstead and walk the "route of crash", see what happens. Only if you're able and willing. :)

That being said, if no one else is having this issue, feel free to ignore this. I've said all along it may be something particular to my setup. I wouldn't want you wasting time trying to fix something that's only affecting me.

Well, as I said, no one else brought it up - but that doesn't mean no one else has the problem. Often someone will have an issue and just toss the mod rather than reporting it. And 3 of us isn't a good sample to go by.

In the interim, for 2.2, I stripped all the navmesh edits that I made in cells that are not occupied by Blackthorn itself. Then I had to clean up in CK because navmeshes no longer matched, so there are edits to those "outside" cells again, but autogenerated by CK. We'll see I guess.

No, I saw that. But I understood it to mean that they were saves with older Blackthorn's included. Also, I recall that you upgraded from 1.2 to 2.0 (or 2.1) .... and Vachnic had a crash issue when he went from 1.2 to 1.3 (or 1.3a) due to a save with 1.2 in it. Thus my guess.

No, I apologize if I was unclear: In each case the game I started with had never had any version of Blackthorn in it at all. I wouldn't upgrade a mod mid-playthrough and not mention that.

Start Skyrim, don't load/new, but coc riverwood. Then tmm 1, open map, fast travel to Ivarstead and walk the "route of crash", see what happens. Only if you're able and willing. :)

Just did this with 2.1 from the download page. Still crashing, sorry.

Well, as I said, no one else brought it up - but that doesn't mean no one else has the problem. Often someone will have an issue and just toss the mod rather than reporting it. And 3 of us isn't a good sample to go by.

In the interim, for 2.2, I stripped all the navmesh edits that I made in cells that are not occupied by Blackthorn itself. Then I had to clean up in CK because navmeshes no longer matched, so there are edits to those "outside" cells again, but autogenerated by CK. We'll see I guess.

Checked this before I'm heading to bed. Will try 2.2 tomorrow and post back.

I was serious about if no one else is having the issue, don't worry about it. I run a fair number of mods and there could just be a conflict I'm unaware of. I'd rather have you spend your limited time and energy developing the mod than troubleshooting something I can work around by approaching the city from a different direction.

No, I apologize if I was unclear: In each case the game I started with had never had any version of Blackthorn in it at all. I wouldn't upgrade a mod mid-playthrough and not mention that.

Ah ok, fair enough. I needed to be 100% sure of this, due to past experience. Thanks for having cleared that up. :)

Start Skyrim, don't load/new, but coc riverwood. Then tmm 1, open map, fast travel to Ivarstead and walk the "route of crash", see what happens. Only if you're able and willing. :)

Just did this with 2.1 from the download page. Still crashing, sorry.

Fuck-a-duck....

Checked this before I'm heading to bed. Will try 2.2 tomorrow and post back.

I was serious about if no one else is having the issue, don't worry about it. I run a fair number of mods and there could just be a conflict I'm unaware of. I'd rather have you spend your limited time and energy developing the mod than troubleshooting something I can work around by approaching the city from a different direction.

OK, fair enough, and will do. :) 2.2 won't have major changes. Thus far, small fixes... for example, I found a point on a wall walkway where NPCs get stuck. Player too. Turns out that a wall that meets at that point has a collision volume that is much larger than the visible part of the wall. [grumble]

I had another shot at adding a quest, with the same results: CK barfs and dies at the end of adding the first dialog topic. So that's a closed book, sadly.

Hello, unfortunately I can not use your mod. I have the same problems as others who have written here. Skyrim freezes when I try get to Blackthorn coming from everywhere. If I use the COC command I can't reach the village too. Is a pitty! I hope you find a solution. I completely built Blackthorn and I have no problems with it, although I note a certain slowdown close to of the farm outside the walls.

Sorry for my bad English.

Hello, unfortunately I can not use your mod. I have the same problems as others who have written here. Skyrim freezes when I try get to Blackthorn coming from everywhere. If I use the COC command I can't reach the village too. Is a pitty! I hope you find a solution. I completely built Blackthorn and I have no problems with it, although I note a certain slowdown close to of the farm outside the walls.

Sorry for my bad English.

I think your system is being overloaded, frankly. I have FPS drop in several places, so I expect some will just choke.

My patch has NPCs moving around a lot more, which means there will be more of them outdoors at any given time than in the original Blackthorn. That may be contributing to your issue. There isn't much else really ...

What version are you using? You can also try to coc aaaBlackthornManor, which should put you inside the manor itself. But if you can't then go outside, not much point. :-|

I have a problem with your mod. Every time I try to launch skyrim with your mod, it's closing. And without it it's working. Do you have any ideas? I have all the requirements that you gave.... SO I dunno what to do about it

It you are crashing with the patch in your load, then the standard things apply:

- missing requirements

- incorrect load order.

Get and install Tes5Edit, and let it process your entire load order, see if anything is missing or in the wrong order.

Hi,

I've been on this site for over a year now and this is the first time I actually post something and since English is not my native language please be gentle with me ;) but your mod is too good to remain silent. I followed your conversation with Wyvern65 and Vachnic the past few days and sadly I have some troubles too, when I approach straight from Heartwood Mill(the gate by the Mansion) it's a definite ctd but when I start at Anarvunde und jump a few walls and fences I can access the city. Unfortunately I get random ctd's even when I'm inside the city so I mostly stay in the mansion or the tavern but that may very well be the cause of something else since nobody seems to have troubles inside the city and my Skyrim runs with almost a hundred other mods. Because I use mod organizer I try to set up a new save just with the essential mods for this and do an excessive testing tomorrow.

And something else, sometimes when I engage in some "activities" with one (or more ^^) of those fine gentleman from Blackthorn their skin tone changes to a darker one which is more of an oddity then an actual problem and may also be the result of some other mod I'm running, but it's only happened to npc's from your mod so I thought you want to know.

So I'm going to give you an more detailed update tomorrow and let you know which problem remained. Hopefully this was of some help or at least so that you know that not only Wyvern65 has this problem.