Blackthorn - Gay Hamlet Patch

I'm a bit confused (read a lot) about how mods are handled when running the Creation Kit through ModOrganizer. Do you have to set the Master flag only when using MO or even if it was being edited through the main directory. I sometimes just copy the files I want work with to the Skyrim folder to avoid the hassles of MO. I thought setting it as active was all that was necessary.

I'm a bit confused (read a lot) about how mods are handled when running the Creation Kit through ModOrganizer. Do you have to set the Master flag only when using MO or even if it was being edited through the main directory. I sometimes just copy the files I want work with to the Skyrim folder to avoid the hassles of MO. I thought setting it as active was all that was necessary.

Here is the (little) I know about it:

Taking Blackthorn (the original mod) as an example, whenever you want to make a patch to work with the Blackthorn mod, you will have to change the included esp in it as a master first. Otherwise the patch will not recognise it as a dependency. Of course when you change Blackthorn.esp to a master, it will NOT change the file extension to .esm. It will still be called Blackthorn.esp.

The easiest way to set it to a masterfile is in Tes5Edit.

Here is a short, but oh so handy tutorial, written by ffabris on how to edit things in TES5 and CK. (I hope it is OK to share this, ffabris?)

Steps to follow:

1. Load BlackthornManor.esp in TES5Edit. In the file header section, right click Flags and Edit. Confirm that you're really sure you want to do that. Put a checkmark in ESM, click OK, then quit TES5Edit. When asked if you want to save changed, click Ok.
  2. Load BlackthornManor.esp again. Open the Non-player Character section. Select all the NPCs you want to patch, then rt-click and Copy as Override into... A window opens, select New file, then name the patch: Blackthorn Patch (no extension). Click Ok.
  3. To change clothing, open the Outfits section in BlackthornManor.esp. Select the outfits you want to change, then rt-click, Copy as new record into... A window opens, select Blackthorn Patch.esp, click ok.
  4. Quit TES5Edit, saving changes when prompted.
  5. Now presumably you need to add in Apachii hair or whatever, so start TES5Edit again, this time selecting not only Blackthorn Patch.esp, but also all the mods you want to add to it.
  6. Rt-click Blackthorn Patch.esp in the list, select Add Masters. Click on the ones you want to add, then again, quit TES5Edit, saving changes.
  7. At this point, if you copied outfits to change them, open the patch in TES5Edit once again, and go change the outfits as you like.
  8. Time to start making changes. So start CK. Once it has loaded, top menu, File -> Data. Find Blackthorn Patch.esp, double click it, then click Set as Active, then Ok.Wait for CK to load everything. If you get warnings, ignore all. Then top menu, View -> Object window. Then open the Actos section.
  9. For initial testing, you want to mod only one NPC, to see if it works. So select one that you know you can find easily. (NPCs that are defined in the patch will have a * in one of the columns.) Make some very obvious change, like give him/her a mohawk hairstyle. ;) The save with Ctrl-S, quit CK.
  10. Start Skyrim, make sure BlackthornManor.esp and Blackthorn Patch.esp are both enabled, with the patch loaded after the original mod. Start the game and go check your changed NPC. If it worked, he/she will have the changed hair, and grey face. The face will get fixed later, this is to be sure the patch has loaded. If not, you're screwed.
  11. Quit Skyrim, and load the patch in CK again. Now make the changes you want to make. Edit each NPC in the patch as you like. Change faces, hair, outfits (Inventory tab), voices, whatever. When finished, save then quit CK.
  12. Last step, fixing grey faces. Load the patch CK again. Not sure if this now is needed but I always do it so I can back up the data. Using a file manager, find the FaceGen folders for BlackthornManor.esp and rename them to (for example) _BlackthornManor.esp
  13. Back in CK, select all the NPCs you modified. Then press Shift-Ctrl-F4. This will generate FaceGen data for the selected NPCs. Ignore warnings, if any, let it finish. Save and quit CK.
  14. Go find the folders with the new FaceGen data. Copy from _BlackthornManor.esp to BlackthornManor.esp, overwriting existing files. When done, delete BlackthornManor.esp, and rename _BlackthornManor.esp back to BlackthornManor.esp.
  15. Test in game. If all OK, you're done. :) If not, delete the patch, reinstall the FaceGen data folders.

Just to repeat, since this is vital: the patch will fail if you have the main mod in your save. It will also fail if you don't mark the original mod as ESM before you start copying records out to your new patch. Also, I don't promise that this will work.

And when you use MO, you HAVE to run TES5 and the CK through MO, since MO manages all your installed mods.

Guest ffabris

Sooo... adding/ changing outfits with TES5 works! *happy dance* No more grey faces and they are dressed when they are outside in the chilly Skyrim weather.

And funnily enough, since adding said outfits, it has been sunny in Blackthorn. Of course... <_<

LMAO! Of course, sod's law. :D Anyway, glad you got a nice clean non-grey hamlet now. ;)

As for clothing, I see your point about weather. Perhaps Wet and Cold could came in handy there - although that tends to bog the game down with scripts. For my part, I prefer to just ignore that aspect and enjoy the eye candy. ;)

Vachnic gave a good answer (quoted below). I'd like to add that MO isn't relevant in this situation. I don't use it at all (nor any other mod organizer).

Here is the (little) I know about it:

Taking Blackthorn (the original mod) as an example, whenever you want to make a patch to work with the Blackthorn mod, you will have to change the included esp in it as a master first. Otherwise the patch will not recognise it as a dependency. Of course when you change Blackthorn.esp to a master, it will NOT change the file extension to .esm. It will still be called Blackthorn.esp.

The easiest way to set it to a masterfile is in Tes5Edit.

Here is a short, but oh so handy tutorial, written by ffabris on how to edit things in TES5 and CK. (I hope it is OK to share this, ffabris?)

(snippped...)

And when you use MO, you HAVE to run TES5 and the CK through MO, since MO manages all your installed mods.

Sure it is ok! :) Oh and thanks for the extra info on MO, I wouldn't have known that part.

so... yah... I couldn't find the horsie Rogue anywhere after installing the new plugin (btw, thanks for releasing it AFTER I gave the guys outfits... ;) ). I could HEAR the horse, but I just couldn't him anywhere. Until I saw THIS:

post-487896-0-42934400-1441769419_thumb.jpg

Things that make you go... hmmm?

So um... I did find him eventually...

Other than that, so far the new release works very well. Thank you :)

(PS as you can see... STILL sunshine!)

Guest ffabris

so... yah... I couldn't find the horsie Rogue anywhere after installing the new plugin (btw, thanks for releasing it AFTER I gave the guys outfits... ;) ). I could HEAR the horse, but I just couldn't him anywhere. Until I saw THIS:

attachicon.gifdumbohorse.jpg

Things that make you go... hmmm?

So um... I did find him eventually...

Other than that, so far the new release works very well. Thank you :)

(PS as you can see... STILL sunshine!)

[blinks]  Now that is strange!  But, given it is you, I'm not in the least surprised!  [runs VERY fast]

And glad you're liking it! :)

Just released 1.3 - minor bugfix release. The main change is that the hamlet finally got the street lights it was supposed to have all along! [headdesk]

In other news, I've had to shelve my "secret project" as apparently there is no straightforward way of implementing it. I haven't totally given up on the idea, but after 3-4 day days of banging my head on the wall, I decided to put it aside.

So I considered doing a small quest to get the key to the manor (the original mod has a key, but it wasn't used, presumably because the author then decided to implement the idea of building it all). CK however, decided not to cooperate: after just a few steps into making the quest, crash. I tried 6 times, then tossed that idea. Oh well.

Vachnic, if you get floating trees again ... I got them earlier when doing an in-game test of the latest update before uploading. I can think of two possible causes:

a. CK may be changing the original mod while you're working on the patch, or

b. TES5Edit cleaning may be messing up the patch.

I replaced Blackthorn.esp in my skyrim game with an original copy, then loaded the patch in CK again and went looking for floating trees. There were none (but that's when I happened to notice all the crap underground: trees, piles of rocks, even mining markers, so I nuked most of that). I saved, tested again, no floating trees.

So... something to bear in mind if it happens to you again. :)

Btw, when updating this time, you just need to replace Blackthorn Patch.esp with the one from 1.3. The prisoner has new facegen files, but he is still not used.

/me sends cookies back

Looks like you need them more than me. Sorry your project fell apart :(

Well, I haven't gotten any floating trees since that time *knocks wood* But I guess now that you mentioned them, they will reappear, since well... Skyrim hates me and stuff

Well, if it does happen again, try what I said, which is very easy to do and may well fix it for you.

As for my project, oh well. I still have things in mind to try. :)

Hmm, whenever I try to go to Blackthorn (after installing 1.3 noSOS), I crash as the scene is loading? I can't find anything in the papyrus logs that could cause it...

Eeep!  I haven't actually tried that version myself.  Then again, if it had an inherent issue such as dependencies, it would crash on game load. Does the SOS version do the same?Also, how are you getting to the town, fast travel? coc? Walking?

Anyone else have this?

I fast travelled there.

Since I had some really script heavy mods installed, which I got rid of, I started a completely new game to avoid script errors and the like. I started with alternative start and in Rorikstead (the farm there, forgot the name). There I installed SOS, SL and SL mods and lastly Blackthorn and your patch (after dressing them again).

Then fast travelled to Blackthorn (cos I am lazy). The scene starts to appear and then BLAMMO... CTD.

I tried fast travelling to Whiterun (went well) and then to Blackthorn, but same thing happened.

Maybe I should ask for those cookies back?

EDIT:

I am off to bed now (since it is almost 7 AM (?!) ). I will test more tomorrow (later today) and let you know if it is the patch or my Haunted Skyrim.

OK, I put up a hotfix ... sorry folks. And hope this works!

Looks one one (or more) of the "underground crap" I deleted was being referenced by something else. So I did a full TES5Edit clean and that seems to have fixed it. Just means I'll have to shove stuff underground when I want to get it out of view in CK.

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I still crash when I go to Blackthorn :(.

I fast travelled, walked, sneaked, skipped while singing nursery rhymes... but every time I get near the gates, I crash.

OK, fast travelled to where exactly, so I can repro exactly what you're doing. I do tmm 1 in console, then do direct to Blackthorn, which plonks me on the road in front of the manor.

Try it this way: start Skyrim, don't Load or New, instead hit ~ and type in coc riverwood. Once you're there, hit ~ again, then type tmm 1, exit console, and use map to find Blackthorn, fast travel. If you were trying this on an already started game, you my have the crap causing the crash in your save.

The 13a patch works. Thought the crashes I was getting was from the lanterns and not having the mod but this update looks great.

Crashing on 1.3 (as opposed to 1.3a) was expected (unfortunately). Anything before 1.3 should have worked. The missing lanterns were simply disabled.

"Honey, I'm hooooome!"

I got it to work again. I tried the coc riverwood etc you suggested and I could get to Blackthorn no problem. So apparently something was written to my (brand new) save that was preventing it from working. I *think*  it was caused by me installing the original Blackthorn and then later adding the patch after installing SL etc. So I sorted it out by starting a new game (again *rolls eyes*) and adding the original Blackthorn at the same time as the patch "et voila" as they say in China, it works like a charm again. Pixel Life is good again :D

and YAY for my advanced noobdom <_<

"Honey, I'm hooooome!"

I got it to work again. I tried the coc riverwood etc you suggested and I could get to Blackthorn no problem. So apparently something was written to my (brand new) save that was preventing it from working. I *think*  it was caused by me installing the original Blackthorn and then later adding the patch after installing SL etc. So I sorted it out by starting a new game (again *rolls eyes*) and adding the original Blackthorn at the same time as the patch "et voila" as they say in China, it works like a charm again. Pixel Life is good again :D

and YAY for my advanced noobdom <_<

Hahaha .... anyway, good, I'm glad. And phew! ;)

As for starting games over and over ... welcome to my world! :D