Blackthorn - Gay Hamlet Patch

Did anyone notice:

• the cadaver near the farm? (No, I didn't put it there)
  • that I forgot to enable the chickens? o,O

1.4 will have the chickens back - and I'm not removing the dead body. ;) But I did fix the floating skill book right next to it. And a floating canis root, and two buried cabbages. And navmesh that went under the guest house and town walls, causing NPCs and animals to run into them. Still poking at it all, so not pushing 1.4 out just yet.

Ok, pushed 1.4 ....

• Reworked followers' schedules
  • Enabled chickens, finally
  • More exterior navmesh fixes, around town walls (I think I mentioned that I hate navmesh, right?)
  • Fixed a lopsided canis root, removed buried vegetables, and unburied a forest prey.
  • Horse no longer gets involved in combat.
  • The groundskeeper has a pet dog, called Dog, a husky. He will follow the groundskeeper around sometimes, or just do his own thing. He's friendly to all, and will engage in combat, but is essential. Oh, he cannot become a follower... he belongs to the groundskeeper, after all. ;)

So like... hi, it is me again. You know, the one with the Haunted Skyrim install.

I installed the new version and guess what... I am crashing all over the place again when I fast-travel, walk, skip, crawl, swim, run-backwards, tunnel or whichever to Blackthorn :-\ I did the clean install and start a new game, but this time it isn't helping. It is the same problem as before: I actually arrive in Blackthorn, the scene loads ( I saw a chicken! YAY!) but then after 2-3 seconds, I CTD. I can't find anything in the logs that could cause it (papyrus is eerily error free even! It doesn't seem natural).

So... I am just stumped.

Homeless and stumped.

Crying, homeless and stumped. (dramatic enough? Can I get that Oscar now?)

Anyway, is anyone else experiencing this or am I just the lucky one again?

:-|  I've been having issues with my work since 1.4 (meaning, stuff I've added after 1.4 was uploaded) - but 1.4 worked ok for me. Patch is cleaned too, both versions. And I tested both.

So... yeah, anyone else have trouble?

Added: I just moved my dev copy of the patch out of my load, and put in 1.4. Spent several game hours wandering the town, no issues at all. So... dunno what's up.

Btw, papyrus logs won't show anything related to the patch since the patch uses no scripts of its own. Yet, anyway.

Long shot... a hunch. Open the patch with Tes5Edit and delete the spawncritter objects. Maybe the insects are overloading your system.

Worldspace -> 0000003C -> Block 0.-1 and Block 1,-1 - check all sub-blocks for spawncritter ... something

Hi I have a problem, for I come near the town, I started to prune, and I met a guard, an npc or I try to enter the city freeze the game and that every single farm . Yet I have all the prerequisites.

Sounds similar to the issue Vachnic reported above. I think this is an out of memory kind of thing. Not sure what you mean by "start to prune".

Anyway, for next release, I removed about half the insect spawners, which might help.

Here is another thing I've noticed. I managed to fast travel into Blackthorn once (and not crash! YAY, more chickens... dinner!) and as soon as i get there I get combat music and everyone starts looking for an enemy (and "taunting"). But there is never anything there.

I then went into the Manor and saved, stored some items and went back out, which caused a CTD again. But before I crashed I saw an Imperial soldier and another NPC fall from the sky? Combat music was again playing. Is there some sort of combat script/ pointer in Blackthorn? Or, since the area is quite heavy in predators, is there a predator spawn in the town? Perhaps you could maybe look into those nearby predators and somehow get rid of them? That should also decrease load strain, I think.

One other thing: when I check my save games with Save cleaner, before I get to Blackthorn there are no obvious issues, but once I am there and open a save game, I get a message "ActiveScript count is quite high, (1051)". Which could potentially also be another cause for the CTDs, I guess? Is there a way to maybe decrease the script load?

Just spouting some things you know. I have no idea how feasible these options are.

EDIT:

I checked the ActiveScript and FunctionMessages with Save game cleaner and it appears most of the active scripts are either "critter spawns", Weaponrack trigger and activators, and playerbookshelftriggerscripts. Maybe this helps you somehow?

Here is another thing I've noticed. I managed to fast travel into Blackthorn once (and not crash! YAY, more chickens... dinner!) and as soon as i get there I get combat music and everyone starts looking for an enemy (and "taunting"). But there is never anything there.

I then went into the Manor and saved, stored some items and went back out, which caused a CTD again. But before I crashed I saw an Imperial soldier and another NPC fall from the sky? Combat music was again playing. Is there some sort of combat script/ pointer in Blackthorn? Or, since the area is quite heavy in predators, is there a predator spawn in the town? Perhaps you could maybe look into those nearby predators and somehow get rid of them? That should also decrease load strain, I think.

One other thing: when I check my save games with Save cleaner, before I get to Blackthorn there are no obvious issues, but once I am there and open a save game, I get a message "ActiveScript count is quite high, (1051)". Which could potentially also be another cause for the CTDs, I guess? Is there a way to maybe decrease the script load?

Just spouting some things you know. I have no idea how feasible these options are.

EDIT:

I checked the ActiveScript and FunctionMessages with Save game cleaner and it appears most of the active scripts are either "critter spawns", Weaponrack trigger and activators, and playerbookshelftriggerscripts. Maybe this helps you somehow?

There is a predator spawn (from the original mod, not added by me) outside the gates near the guard barracks. There is a prey spawn (again from the original mod) between the manor and the horse stable. Also, the town is all set up for dragon attacks (once those can happen).

Weapons racks and bookshelf triggers are, again, in the original mod. That leaves the insect spawners, which I added. See my post to you last night. ;) I have already removed some for next release, so we'll see what happens.

Another thing is that client lag (low FPS) seems worst in the area of the manor, especially behind it. So I may move the fast travel landing spot from the manor area to the inn, perhaps. That may reduce impact of arriving smack in the middle of a high lag area.

Now that is an excellent idea! Move the landing spot to where the Talos statue is or some such. Also, you can't remove the predator and prey spawns from the original mod? And perhaps rip out the Dragon attacks? That would make Blackthorn an even more blissful place to be.

I could remove them, yes.... but I don't much want to. :P

2.0 is out. The jump in version number is because I finally found a way to implement my "secret project". Curious to see who first spots what it is. ;)

Btw, see the Recommended section for mods I like to use with this. I especially recommend Coat of Paint - Riften (along with all the other CoP series).

Tried the new version in a game that had never had any version of Blackthorn in it. Trying to walk there from Ivarstead I kept crashing as soon as I got close to the city. Happened four times in a row.

When I tried reaching it from Shor's Stone and from Riften I was able to do so. Honestly, not sure what's up with that. I hadn't been anywhere near that area in this game yet. I did deactivate the mod and was able to walk from Ivarstead to Riften with no issues.

I'll try on a brand new game tomorrow. I won't coc there - if I can't walk there, there's an issue. I did notice a small buckle in the navmesh on the road outside the farm heading north, but I doubt that's causing anything.

I rarely simply crash to the desktop (in fact I rarely get crashes at all) so it was an odd experience.

On a more positive note, the critters look nice (haven't used it since 1.2 - as I said I don't use huge homes as a rule.) Didn't see anything that screamed "I'm a secret" but I only poked around for an hour or so.

Thanks, btw, for pointing me to the coat of paint mods. Going to add them tomorrow. They look nice.

Also, not sure if it matters, but are you using FloppySoS 1.3?

As always, looking forward to seeing how the mod develops.

Cheers.

Tried the new version in a game that had never had any version of Blackthorn in it. Trying to walk there from Ivarstead I kept crashing as soon as I got close to the city. Happened four times in a row.

Hmmm.... I can't think of any reason for that other that memory overload due to lots of stuff.

I'll try on a brand new game tomorrow. I won't coc there - if I can't walk there, there's an issue. I did notice a small buckle in the navmesh on the road outside the farm heading north, but I doubt that's causing anything.

Yeah, navmesh won't cause a crash. And I am sure there are more oddities left. I had to clean some that went right over walls, under walls, all under the guest house. All of that in the original, btw.

Oh, you should test a fast travel/coc - that might be useful info.

Thanks, btw, for pointing me to the coat of paint mods. Going to add them tomorrow. They look nice.

Glad you like! :)

Also, not sure if it matters, but are you using FloppySoS 1.3?

I am, yes. And I don't think it matters since Vachnic uses the version with FloppySOS.

I tested 2.0 a bit before uploading. Then after uploading, I started a new game (first time in weeks) and spent a good amount of time at the town ... as well as outside (one farmer decided to take a long route home... I followed to see where the heck he was going). In other words, I don't think there's an error in the patch, as such. It just may be too much for some systems. I used to get the effect  you describe at Dawnstar, when I had ETAC Dawnstar installed. Thus my guess.

Added: OK, I just did the trek between Ivarstead and Blackthorn with no crashes ... just sharp FPS drop once I reach the town.

Added 2: How close to Blackthorn are you when you crash? Can you see the gates? Have you passed the farm? There is actually something right after the farm that may be the cause: a visual effect of leaves and sound, that triggers when the player enters the space. There's another covering the town itself, and a third by another gate. Might be the cause of the problem. If so, I can try removing them. (Also not something I added.)

preliminary testing:

I downloaded the new version (the NoSOS one). And... it WORKS! I fast travelled from Whiterun and appeared at the market. I didn't have any lag at all. The predator attack triggered and no problems there. I then ran around the place and again, no lag or problems. Then I ran out the gates and around town. No problems until I got near the east gate (in the direction of Heartwood mill). Whn I got close to the gate, I CTDed. I reloaded and ran out that gate and CTDed again. So apparently there is something wrong near that gate. Unfortunately none of the logs tells me what it might be. I didn't experience any lag before the CTD.

I will now test with the seperate Test Patch and see if that makes a difference with the East Gate.

Well, that was the quickest test ever I guess :P . The test patch requires FloppySOS. Since my install is (apparently) already very high in scripts, I am not willing to install it even for testing purposes, especially since FloppySOS has added requirements to run (sorry). I will leave it to Beaver Wyvern to test the test patch, since I believe he IS using FloppySOS.

I will stick with the NoSOS 2.0 version and just not go near the East gate for now.

Thank you for fixing it, ffabris! I am finally home again :D And of course, if I find any other quirks I will let you know.

Now to find the added special content...

Which is the east gate? CK has no compass. The one near the farm?

Anyway, me bed. Good luck!  ;)

Yes, the East  Gate is in the direction of the mill and Riften. The gate closest to the manor. If you are standing in front of the manor and facing it, it is the gate on your right.

Sleep well! you deserve it.

So another day, another journey towards the City of Studs.

The patch, alas, did not magically fix things. Which makes sense, actually, given that once I reach Blackthorn I always could run around with no issues. I did happen to stumble across Ye Olde Secret, and that may be the actual issue. (I'll PM you, to avoid spoilers.)

I'm not crashing near the East gate, though I'll run around that area again to double check.

As Vahnic said, I was using the FloppySoS version. I swapped to the NoSoS version in case my computer - which is actually pretty beefy (ran Isle of Mara with zero issues, and that mod was scripted up the wazoo) - was having problems applying the HDT to so many actors at once. (Which, again, makes little sense. Why would it be able to apply HDT with no issues if I approach from Riften or Shor's Stone, but not from Ivarstead?) 

Rhetorical questions aside, I still crash pretty consistently around Angarvunde if I approach Blackthorn from that direction. It doesn't seem to be when the actors themselves are being loaded close to the city, but when the city is clearly visible - when my computer would be loading the lods and actor AI and such. Conversely, if I walk from Blackthorn towards Ivarstead once it's been discovered - I have no crashes. Which, again, makes a modicum of sense, since everything is already loaded doing that.

No issues fast travelling to it once it's on the map, or using the transport spell.

'tis a puzzlement. (But see my PM.)

OK, so first off, I had to reinstall linux first thing today - oh joy. >.< So that means I won't be able to get anything done until I have my system back to some semblance of normality.

That aside ... seems the two of you are crashing at different places. Given that N/S/E/W isn't useful to me, could you please both clarify reference points ... when speaking of gates, which builds are nearby? The farm gate, or the followers barracks, or the pelts store/citizens home?

Wyvern, I doubt that my "secret project" is the cause, though I will take time to rad your PM ... once I can breathe.

I have been trying to switch to Linux for the past day, but I keep getting, well, nothing after I pick an option in the "grub" screen. So I wish you luck with that, ffabris. But then again, you are an experienced linux user and I am a total noob... (hmm, I am seeing a theme here...)

Anyway, the gate I keep crashing at is the one next to the followers barracks. If I am approaching Blackthorn from that direction, I ctd when I get to what would be about 30 feet from the gate/walls. Same thing when I leave from that gate, ctd at about 30 ft from the gate/walls. Hope this helps.

I have been trying to switch to Linux for the past day, but I keep getting, well, nothing after I pick an option in the "grub" screen. So I wish you luck with that, ffabris. But then again, you are an experienced linux user and I am a total noob... (hmm, I am seeing a theme here...)

Which linux? I use Mint KDE. Anyway, install went fine. The issue now is just getting apps reinstalled and reconfigured, getting it to look how I want, etc. All small thing, but a lot, and time consuming.

Anyway, the gate I keep crashing at is the one next to the followers barracks. If I am approaching Blackthorn from that direction, I ctd when I get to what would be about 30 feet from the gate/walls. Same thing when I leave from that gate, ctd at about 30 ft from the gate/walls. Hope this helps.

It does in that I now have a clear picture of where. :) It doesn't in that I have no clue why, especially since Wyvern crashes in a different spot. Did you try the area of the farm gate?

As for the linux: I am trying to try LinuxMint 17.2 Cinnamon. I have been reading the help forums for the past hours (gah! square burning eyes!) and I know get a "mint$mint>" or something prompt and the "x server" is not starting, but... um... progress I guess? Something with nvidia cards, I will look into it tomorrow.

As for the gates: I have no problems with the other gates, I can run in and out of them, wander about, get raped by trolls and bears across the river, limp back into town and promptly get raped by Clinton's dog, you know... a normal day in Skyrim. But the gate next to the follower barracks is just... crash, crash and double crash. I dunno why either.  And it always happens outside the gate, as I said previously.

As for the linux: I am trying to try LinuxMint 17.2 Cinnamon. I have been reading the help forums for the past hours (gah! square burning eyes!) and I know get a "mint$mint>" or something prompt and the "x server" is not starting, but... um... progress I guess? Something with nvidia cards, I will look into it tomorrow.

Hum, never tried cinnamon. nVidia cards will need proprietary drivers - but you should still be able to at least boot into mint.

As for the gates: I have no problems with the other gates, I can run in and out of them, wander about, get raped by trolls and bears across the river, limp back into town and promptly get raped by Clinton's dog, you know... a normal day in Skyrim. But the gate next to the follower barracks is just... crash, crash and double crash. I dunno why either.  And it always happens outside the gate, as I said previously.

LOL! OK, try the attached when you can. Same as the one I posted last night, but NonSOS. Basically it disables the special effects triggers, and pushes them underground, out of the way.

Added: OK, I tried the route that crashes you ... went all the way to the orc stronghold and then back into Blackthorn, no crash. Which kinda confirms my suspicions. Anyway, see if the patch helps at all, when you're able. Thanks. :)

BGH_2_0_test_for_Vachnic.rar

Another experiment ... This is the same as the file above PLUS I reverted all navmesh changes I made except for a few cells: manor, central, guards/inn, and behind the manor.  This too is NonSOS.

Those crashing, please try both - the one above first, then if you're still crashing, this one. Thanks! :)

P.S. In case anyone is wondering, I reverted by editing the patch with Tes5Edit and removed the records containing navmesh overrides. Nothing more. In other words, navmesh from the original Blackthorn is used. If this does fix crashing, it means:

a. I have no fucking clue about navmesh editing

b. y'all have to live with animals and NPCs running into and over walls

BGH_2_0_Navmesh_Revert_Test.rar

YAY! I tried my own personal patch (I feel so important now! My own patch!) and... no crashes. I ran around BT in and out all of the gates, in and out all of the buildings and no problems anymore :D Can you tell me what you added/ deleted to stop the crashes at the East Gate (the follower barracks one)? I am curious what caused it.

Also, do you want me to test the other test patch? I am assuming you didn't deleted the Navmeshes in "my" patch, if so, it seems a bit counter productive to revert the navmeshes if it is already fixed. Well, fixed for me that is. I can't speak for Wyvern of course.