-----------------

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

Service Pack

Size

64 Bit

Edition

Home Premium

Where do I begin about upgrading my PC? My specs are in the spoiler. I'm looking to at least run Fallout 4 and Grand Theft Auto 5 on medium settings. So how much am I looking at? Where should I go?

All I did was replace my old 1gb graphics card with a AMD Radeon R9 280x 3gb and can play anything with maxed out settings, it just makes you feel sooo good.

And don't forget about updating you BIOS before replacing a few parts, I had to.

My first question would be what socket does the CPU use and is it still in use? If you have a older CPU and motherboard then you might need to upgrade the motherboard. If it has a socket that is still in use then upgrading the CPU would be where I would start.

Had a little look around and that core appears to be a dual GPU/CPU on a single chip.

I thought those were used mainly in laptops but to get any major improvement you will most likely have to change out quite a lot, doable for your budget from your responses it seems like you are not particularly experienced with this level of upgrade so be sure that you have everything lined up before you go forward,

No clue what you're talking about.

socket is what the CPU sits in. Different CPU's take different sockets, think of it like light sockets in the wall only there is several kinds.

I looked your CPU up and it takes a FM1 socket. Which means your motherboard obviously has a FM1 socket on it. Which means if you want to upgrade the CPU ever you would need one with that same socket.

After looking it up it looks like they don't make CPU's for that socket type anymore they have moved onto the AM 1, AM 2, AM 3 series of sockets and FM2 sockets for AMD's and for intel you are looking at LGA 1150, LGA 2011, and LGA 2011-v3

The reason this is important is that is a old CPU and it will be your bottle neck if you upgrade your PC much. Sadly because it is a older socket the only way to upgrade the CPU would be to upgrade the motherboard.

At this point I think it is time you look into doing a major update. I know you have a budget of only 500, but you can upgrade a PC over time. If you know anything about doing your own hardware upgrade you could pull the PC apart. Replace the motherboard and CPU to decent ones for 500 bucks and use the rest of the stuff you have now on it most likely. Would have to check the ram etc to be sure but should be doable.

Then later on upgrade the ram and then later the video card on it.

Or if you don't know anything about upgrade your own PC it might be time to just wait and save money and buy a better one. You should be able to get a pretty decent one for about double your budget and one you could upgrade even more later.

Though if you are willing to learn it is cheaper and better to just build your own system and a lot easier than most people think.

As was stated before you can do a periodic upgrade. For start you can replace just 3 pieces: Ram, Video Card and Power Supply.

Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Vapor-X

Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular

All 3 pieces are very easy to install, just plug and play. You can find a video or just fallow the manual. Later you can upgrade your CPU and your Motherboard. With this 3 upgrades you'll be fine playing anything on High Settings and with the upcoming upgrade to Windows 10 your gaming experience will only improve.

As was stated before you can do a periodic upgrade. For start you can replace just 3 pieces: Ram, Video Card and Power Supply.

All 3 pieces are very easy to install, just plug and play. You can find a video or just fallow the manual. Later you can upgrade your CPU and your Motherboard. With this 3 upgrades you'll be fine playing anything on High Settings and with the upcoming upgrade to Windows 10 your gaming experience will only improve.

Video card link is the same as the ram. Also will my PC parts work with these new ones though?

Video card link is the same as the ram. Also will my PC parts work with these new ones though?

Depends on what your motherboard is, which you didn't list.

Funny this should come up... I'm thinking about building a PC (again) and centering it on a Micro ATX motherboard (like a GigaByte GA Z97MX Gaming 5). But instead of putting it in a conventional case, I might build one out of wood. Sculptural.... not a box. With copper and brass tubing for decoration.... or maybe braided stainless tubing. Not sure. I'd like the end product to look kinda industrial organic. :)

Funny this should come up... I'm thinking about building a PC (again) and centering it on a Micro ATX motherboard (like a GigaByte GA Z97MX Gaming 5). But instead of putting it in a conventional case, I might build one out of wood. Sculptural.... not a box. With copper and brass tubing for decoration.... or maybe braided stainless tubing. Not sure. I'd like the end product to look kinda industrial organic. :)

Make it look steampunk.

I fixed the link in the main post and yes everything will work. But if you want to be 100% sure, that's what you can do: Go here and download the latest version of AIDA64 Extreme, extract the archive and launch "aida64.exe" then click on Report -> Next -> Hardware-related pages -> Next -> HTML -> Finish. Wait till the program generates the report Save To File, choose the location to save, for example Documents, give it a name or live it as Report, then Attach the generated file here to your post.

I'll just save up $1,500 and get a new PC. Fuck it, no idea what you're speaking. It's like trying to read Chinese symbols! I'll just need to find a way to get my hard drive data and transfer it to the new PC in time. No way my 4GB flash drive will do.

If you don't have the technical knowledge there's no shame in engaging a PC shop to upgrade your PC for you. They will even transfer your data into the new PC for you.

Generally, if you know what your doing it IS cheaper to build it yourself, but honestly if you arn't sure - you can blow a ton of cash by fucking it up. Just go to a good PC shop.

I'll just save up $1,500 and get a new PC. Fuck it, no idea what you're speaking. It's like trying to read Chinese symbols! I'll just need to find a way to get my hard drive data and transfer it to the new PC in time. No way my 4GB flash drive will do.

I don't think you'll need to save up quite that much although to be honest after looking on the US version of amazon for a PC similar to the one i recently brought off the UK version it seems we get better stuff :)

Something like http://www.amazon.com/CyberpowerPC-Gamer-GUA880-Gaming-Desktop/dp/B00NJG71JA/ref=dp_ob_title_ce i think would be an upgrade to what you currently have and then later upgrades would be more RAM (easy to fit) a better graphics card (easy to fit) and perhaps a new power unit to support the better graphics card which is bit of a pain to fit but as long as you remember/take photo's of where you disconnect stuff from so you know where to connect the new one to it can be done and to be fair this is made easier by certain connectors only fitting in certain places

It also might be worth looking for a local version of something like mesh computers http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODCATEGORYVIEWPAGE&USG=APPLICATION&ENT=APPLICATION&KEY=1285475 and go for an entry level gaming PC as these again can be upgraded with better stuff later on which allows you to spread the cost

I don't think you'll need to save up quite that much although to be honest after looking on the US version of amazon for a PC similar to the one i recently brought off the UK version it seems we get better stuff :)

Something like http://www.amazon.com/CyberpowerPC-Gamer-GUA880-Gaming-Desktop/dp/B00NJG71JA/ref=dp_ob_title_ce i think would be an upgrade to what you currently have and then later upgrades would be more RAM (easy to fit) a better graphics card (easy to fit) and perhaps a new power unit to support the better graphics card which is bit of a pain to fit but as long as you remember/take photo's of where you disconnect stuff from so you know where to connect the new one to it can be done and to be fair this is made easier by certain connectors only fitting in certain places

It also might be worth looking for a local version of something like mesh computers http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODCATEGORYVIEWPAGE&USG=APPLICATION&ENT=APPLICATION&KEY=1285475 and go for an entry level gaming PC as these again can be upgraded with better stuff later on which allows you to spread the cost

In the US the cost of a PC varies wildly depending on where you get one. If the OP wants to just get a premade one, I recommend checking out ibuypower.com you can custom order a PC how you want and they are very reasonably priced.

Archived