Star Trek Online Nude Mods - Version 2.15.2

Extracting STO's Game Data

Tutorial last updated August 23, 2015.

(The toolset update now contains a serialization dll for Neverwinter and an updated FileFormats.dll needed for decompiling Playercostume.bin.)

So, you want to see the inner bits of STO's client game data, eh?

Well, first off, you will need the Cryptic mod tools: http://svn.gib.me/builds/cryptic

Choose the latest version (i.e. highest r-number) and the full toolset, not just the unpacker, and extract to the folder where you will be working with them.

These mod tools are primarily run via the command prompt -- i.e. opening a command window and typing in commands -- but you can also drag & drop files into them.

Please note that I did not create these mod tools. The extremely talented Rick a.k.a. Gibbed made them, so he and others could make cool mods; his website is: Rick’s Game Stuff

To use the mod tools, you will need an up-to-date version of the .NET framework. Even though you may already have a sufficient version installed, you may want to run Microsoft's updater to be extra certain: Download: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Web Installer) - Microsoft Download Center

You can use the Unpacker to extract the Star Trek Online game data from *.hogg files, which can be found in:

..\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\piggs
(The ".." is the path to your installation directory, of course.)

Most of the time you can just drag & drop a .hogg file onto the unpacker and it will unpack, but if that doesn't work for some reason, then presuming the .hogg file you want to unpack is in the same folder as the Unpacker .exe, open a command prompt (Windows Vista/7: shift + right click within a folder then open command prompt) and execute the command:

Gibbed.Cryptic.Unpack data.hogg 
Or whatever other .hogg file you want to unpack. (You can also add a specific folder to unpack too after the .hogg name if you like.)

The "texture*.hogg" files contain texture data, "sounds.hogg" contains sound data, the "data.hogg" file contains animations and some other stuff, and the massive "bins.hogg" file contains 3D models, binary control files, and lots of other stuff too -- it's become Cryptic's catch-all client data repository. Unpacking bins.hogg will take up quite a bit of hard drive space, so be prepared.

After you've extracted some data, chances are you'll need to convert the extracted stuff into something more usable. Unfortunately, I haven't yet figured out how to convert the 3D models or animations into a usable format, but you can convert textures, sounds, and even the *.bin control files into editable files.

Textures (.wtex files)

Texture files are extracted to:

..\Texture_Library\[various subfolders]
It used to be that you could convert any of STO's textures into editable .dds files (and back to .wtex again) using the Wtex2DDS.exe posted at GVZ -- instructions on how to use it are also posted there: Textures needed for STO

However, some time ago Cryptic added a new format to their wtexes, so now only some of the files (mainly icons and normal maps) will work with Wtex2DDS, for the other files you will need to use the Noesis software, available here: http://richwhitehouse.com/index.php?content=inc_projects.php

Extract Noesis to your working folder and open its [plugins\python] folder. Download the "fmt_cryptic_wtex.txt" file attached at the bottom of this post and place it in this folder. Then, rename it to "fmt_cryptic_wtex.py" (the forum here doesn't let you attach .py files).

Now when you start up the Noesis executable, it should recognize .wtex files and open them. You can then export them out so you can mess around with them.

Note that some textures may have heavy transparency, so in order to better see them you may need to follow the steps posted here: Textures needed for STO

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to get textures extracted by Noesis back into .wtex format. A subsequent update to this tutorial will cover how to do this.

Sound Data (.fsb files)

Sound files are extracted to:

..\sound\win32
You'll need some software to play/extract the .fsb files. I personally use the Aezay FSB extractor: http://aezay.site11.com/aezay/fsbextractor

Although I've not tried, you should be able to repack .fsb files with this: http://aluigi.altervista.org/papers.htm#fsbext

3D Models (.mset files)

3D models are extracted to:

..\Bin\Geobin
I've not found any way to view or edit these files. All I've been able to do is remove models (i.e. "zero" them out) or swap one model for another. Model-swapping is beyond the scope of this tutorial.

Binary Control Files (.bin files)

.bin files are extracted to:

..\Bin
In order to view/edit .bins, you have to go in your mod tools directory then open the [bin\serializers\resources] folder and edit each .json file within that corresponds to the .bin you'd like to decompile. I've already done this for you for STO, so if you like, you can replace the default ones with my pre-edited versions that are attached to this post in the "Toolset Update.zip" file. They should work for all the *.bins I edit and use as of the updating of this tutorial (I haven't figured them all out yet). Simply extract the .zip file in your mod tools folder and merge/overwrite the existing files and folders - note that if you're not asked to overwrite files, something has gone wrong and you'll need to check again and extract into the correct location.

Additionally, you will need an up-to-date serialization .dll file. You can generate one of these yourself using the ExportSchemas then GenerateSerializier executables (you'll need to have the GameClient.exe running before you run ExportSchemas, then once that's dumped all the schema files, you can run Gibbed.Cryptic.GenerateSerializer --game=StarTrekOnline), but I've also already done this for you, and dlls for both STO and Neverwinter are included in the "Toolset Update.zip" file attached to this post; if you've already extracted it in the previous step you should be good to go.

If you happen to want to edit Neverwinter and not Star Trek Online, then you will have to edit each .json under [bin\serializers\resources] and change all references to StarTrekOnline to Neverwinter, and change the entry under "versions" to "Neverwinter" so it will use the correct assembly .dll, and you might have to change the parser hash as well -- Just look at how DynMove.serializer.json does it for an example.

Once that's ready, you can decompile *.bin files (presuming they're in the same folder as the tools' bin folder) by either dragging & dropping them onto the ConvertResource tool, or executing (using a random .bin as an example):

Gibbed.Cryptic.ConvertResource -x scaleinfos.bin
Or whatever other bin file you want to decompile, although as I mentioned not all will work. That'll convert stuff to XML for easy editing -- recompile when done by dragging the folder onto the ConvertResource tool or with:

Gibbed.Cryptic.ConvertResource -b scaleinfos
As a cursory example of what these .bin files do, to add breast jiggle, I had to first edit Dynbouncer.bin to define a bounce object and then edit the "StarTrekFemale.xml" of Skelinfos to point to that bounce object using the <BouncerInfo> tag.

Detailed instructions for editing the decompiled .xml files are beyond the scope of this tutorial, but instructions for modifying Dynbouncer.bin and Scaleinfos.bin can be found in my mod package.

Getting the client to load modified files

Once you've modded a file (and put it back into its native format) and want to STO to load it, most of the time all you need to do is put it into the appropriate folder under your localdata folder:

..\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\Localdata\[bin/sound/texture_library/etc.]
(If you've used my installer, this folder should already have some relevant files and folders in it.)

For some .bin files, you may need to rename them in order to get them to load. For example, costumegeometry.bin must be renamed to costumegeometryclient.bin for it to load, and playercostume.bin must be renamed playercostumeclient.bin. Figuring out if a file needs this is a trial-and-error process. (Check out my mods if you like, I've done a lot of experimenting with .bin files.)

Once you've got things in the right folders, load up the game client and see if the changes are loaded. If not, try again and post a question if necessary.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense to y'all. If you need more help, feel free to post your question in the thread so others can benefit from the answer. You can also PM me if you'd rather have a private conversation.

Again, please note that I did not create these mod tools. The extremely talented Rick a.k.a. Gibbed did, his website is: Rick’s Game Stuff

Happy modding!

fmt_cryptic_wtex.txt

Toolset Update.zip

• 2 weeks later...

all the new stuff isn't helping me improve my gaming enjoyment. With the sound files are you sayn i could change the drozana ambient sounds to hip hop?

If you really wanted. It would be much, much easier, however, to simply disable the Drozana music/ambience and play your music of choice in an external media player such as Winamp, rather than editing the game client sound files.

Just a heads up' date=' the Nov 1st patch will probably break one or more of these mods. The earliest I can start working on a fix is around 1:00 PM GMT -8 time, it probably won't take too long after that to get it posted. :)

[/quote']

Actually, it's looking like the next one will break something, I just got a crash on Tribble from it.

Actually' date=' it's looking like the next one will break something, I just got a crash on Tribble from it.[/quote']

Yeah, these mods don't work for Tribble. New Seasons will pretty much always break these mods -- I thought the previous patch would introduce a new ship, which also tends to break certain mods, but I was mistaken, it was just a minor patch. In the case of Season 7, the changes are radical enough that a new version of the mod tools will need to be released before I can make mods that work with Season 7.

Hmm' date=' seems I was wrong, I can't find anything broken. I thought the Vesta class would be introduced and cause problems, but apparently not; it's getting released with Season 7.

So nevermind, no problems detected after all. :)

[/quote']

Hey man, I just wanted to say somthing real quick.

You break your ass keeping this stuff up to date since everytime the game updates, you seem to have to scramble to find and fix somethings. The mod is a blast to use and you've gone above and beyond the typical modder by maintaining the mods functionality and trying to add more options, making grow into something far more then jut a common nude patch. I'm sure everyone here would agree that your efforts do not go unnoticed or unappriciated

So, since I don't think I've said it recently and it sure doesnt get said enough overall in general...thank you.

Hey man' date=' I just wanted to say somthing real quick.

You break your ass keeping this stuff up to date since everytime the game updates, you seem to have to scramble to find and fix somethings. The mod is a blast to use and you've gone above and beyond the typical modder by maintaining the mods functionality and trying to add more options, making grow into something far more then jut a common nude patch. I'm sure everyone here would agree that your efforts do not go unnoticed or unappriciated

So, since I don't think I've said it recently and it sure doesnt get said enough overall in general...thank you.[/quote']

You're most welcome! :) As I said a few posts back, the mod tools I use are maintained by Rick, and he works even harder than I at modding; he is a coding wizard far out of my league!

Anyway, I forgot to make it clearer that these mods will generally not work on Tribble (the test server). The first post has been updated with this information, as has the readme for the next mod version.

Ok, unlike the false alarm earlier, the Season 7 patch (coming on Tuesday, I believe) will DEFINITELY break most of these mods. The only ones that might keep working without an update are:

• The original nude mod
  • Clothing removal mods
  • Improved normal maps
  • Caitian texture mods
  • Possibly the no-console-beeps mod

If you want, you can try removing all but those mods (or the ones you use, anyway) and running Season 7 when it hits; or to be most safe, you'll want to either temporarily relocate the contents of your localdata directory, or just uninstall the mods entirely before you try and start the Season 7 patch. I am currently unable to update the mods for Season 7 compatibility, but I'll work on it as soon as the mod tools I use are updated (though I do not know when that will be).

Ok' date=' unlike the false alarm earlier, the Season 7 patch (coming on Tuesday, I believe) will [i']DEFINITELY [/i]break most of these mods. The only ones that might keep working without an update are:

• The original nude mod
  • Clothing removal mods
  • Improved normal maps
  • Caitian texture mods

If you want, you can try removing all but those mods (or the ones you use, anyway) and running Season 7 when it hits; or to be most safe, you'll want to either temporarily relocate the contents of your localdata directory, or just uninstall the mods entirely before you try and start the Season 7 patch. I am currently unable to update the mods for Season 7 compatibility, but I'll work on it as soon as the mod tools I use are updated (though I do not know when that will be).

yes i tried to log on and got booted off i had to remove the mod to get online hope a fix comes soon (Tuesday night 6pm)

Ok' date=' unlike the false alarm earlier, the Season 7 patch (coming on Tuesday, I believe) will [i']DEFINITELY [/i]break most of these mods. The only ones that might keep working without an update are:

• The original nude mod
  • Clothing removal mods
  • Improved normal maps
  • Caitian texture mods

i checked everything in the bin file one by one and they all caused a failure, but like you said the improved maps,clothing removal, and original mods work.

Version 2.2.0 released! Download from the first post.

Changes:

• Behind-the-scenes updates to all .bin mods for Season 7 compatibility.
  • Removed "Disable annoying console beeps" mod for now, as it is no longer working. If I can get get it working again it'll be re-added later.

Enjoy, and as always, please report bugs if you find any!

Version 2.2.1 released, download from first post as usual.

New Mods:

• One new additional option added under Playercostume mods:
    • Naked Romulan Females

[*]Additional options added under Caitian Tails for Everyone. Now you can select which style of tail should be applied!

• Feline Cropped
    • Feline Thick
    • Feline Thin (was previously the only option)

Changes:

• Readme corrections & additions

Great mod, thanks for all your hard work!

The NPC formal clothing choice has been a favorite, however the stockings bothered me, so tweaked them. Some were asking about fishnets a few months back, better late then never? :D

STO Stockings (3) choices:

Lighter: as close to clear as I could get.

Small fishnet: used the original dark, then added small fishnet pattern

Medium Fishnet: using Lighter, added medium fishnet pattern

If this posts correctly, your free to use or modify as you wish.