Skyrim Modding Guide

I am sorry I am completely unfamiliar with AMD processors or cards and I have no idea how strong your system is compared to mine. RAM doesn't really matter that much above 4 for Skyrim if you are not running a full ENB. I can't really help you beyond this, perhaps someone more familiar with AMD can point out if your system is too weak or should be able to handle your load fine.

Please everyone check out this post, it may help you a LOT in figuring out the health of your game. http://www.loverslab.com/topic/56588-corrupted-saves/page-4?do=findComment&comment=1481741

I am sorry I am completely unfamiliar with AMD processors or cards and I have no idea how strong your system is compared to mine. RAM doesn't really matter that much above 4 for Skyrim if you are not running a full ENB. I can't really help you beyond this, perhaps someone more familiar with AMD can point out if your system is too weak or should be able to handle your load fine.

Please everyone check out this post, it may help you a LOT in figuring out the health of your game. http://www.loverslab.com/topic/56588-corrupted-saves/page-4?do=findComment&comment=1481741

r7 240 is a lower end card with 2gb video memory.  comparable nvidia is the gt 730 card.   Its about what you would find as onboard video or on a laptop without a dedicated video card.   Probably explains the low fps with realvision enb.   You will want to run performance versions of everything and limit what textures you are adding that will lead to low fps.   I am running the a10-7890 4.29ghz processor and it runs great, it is not as powerful as my other rig with the fx 8350 in it but those a10's are not bad.   Sacremas will probably have more advanced advice with an idea of what your running now.

you might want to try the vivid weathers and enb (drop cot, any lighting mod and realvision)  you will need to install enbseries 305 to run it.   from my early tests on it, it appears to be less resource heavy then the traditional cot+lighting+enb setup and does a better job of lighting (especially torches and candles etc) then most lighting mods I have tried.

Nope, with that in mind those are the advice I would give as well, performance ENB (ENB rather than ENBoost to take advantage of the extra RAM to swap) with everying set to as low as possible, basically everything off but the bare essentials, for textures I would get this; http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9957/? that's better textures than the base game that will run better than the base game as well, and much better than the offial high res DLC mod (which this is based on of course, it's the same textures more or less just optimized for efficient use). And yes I would use the new Vivid Weathers and it's ENB rather than CoT/ELFX (I did not actually use CoT/ELFX last play, I used Kinematic ENB Soutern Light which doesn't work with any such mods).

Thanks I tested that and noticed, drank the strongest aphrodisiac potion and got turned down by 3 out of 4 women.

By the way what's so bad about blood mods? or more specifically enhanced blood textures? has an orgy of endorsements, that's the only reason i trusted it before.

I also noticed you said in one of your posts you are using Underground Bathhouse is that correct? It's a good mod no problems? 

The aphrodisiac has only a that significant a chance to help your sex if your Speech skill is maxed and you are both Dibella's Champion and Mara's Champion or none of that and instead wearing the Amulet of Articulation (auto-success on all speech checks). I have all of that except the Amulet, and I have Aroused's settings set so high that I never use the spells in Eager or aphrodisiacs because their arousal is max when they see me basically, and I still fail occasionally. Which you can by the way, just go into Aroused's MCM and set all the sliders to maximum, go to the Puppet Master page and set your own character's arousal gain to almost nothing and your outfit to revealing, every NPC will always be highly aroused, you will not, it's very much a cheat but it means you can ignore any arousal-increasing effect.

Blood mods are bad because they actually do what you accused iNeed of and leave a ton of traces in your save that build up over time and will kill your game. Yes it has a lot of endorsements but so do Wet & Cold and a lot of other things guaranteed to kill off your game in the long run.

Underground Bathhouse is great, but use the one here in this thread; http://www.loverslab.com/topic/36941-uglykidcids-abodes-hideouts-player-homes-blober-blog/

I'm about to freshen up my Skyrim and could use some input regarding mods :)

First off, tried the Realvision ENB like described here but I get horrible 10-20 FPS when I'm lucky :/

So, I think I'm trying the ENBoost Method and see how that goes.

I've had some problems after installing SexSlaves, got crashes during long scenes etc, so I'm trying to set MO up right this time, with TES5Edit and Wrye Batches and everything (usually I just put mods in, run loot and PaMa if it's installed and go... :s).

These are the Mods I previously used (no SexSlaves, no crashes, hours of gaming):

unofficial Skyrim Legendary Patch

SKSE

SkyUi

Alternate Start

A Matter of Time

Achieve that

Immersive HUD

Deadly Dragons

AFT

aMidianBorn Pack

Immersive Armors

Immersive Weapons

Weapons and Armor fixes remade

Wet&Cold, Ashes, Holidays

Frostfall

Realistic Needs & Diseases

Perkus Maximus

SkyRe (no SkyRe Main and SkyRe Combat)

Convenient Horses

CBBE

Guard Dialogue Overhaul

Dovahkiin Relaxes too

Audio Overhaul for Skyrim 2

Climates of Tamriel

Enhanced Lights & FX

Realistic Ragdolls & Force

XP32 Maximum Skeleton - XPMS

FNIS

FNIS Sexy Moves

SexLab

SexLab Aroused Redux

Eager NPCs

Further Lovers Comfort

Probably forgot some in this list too, all patches and everything too.

Made a new Profile in MO with only the following Mods activated:

SKSE

SkyUI

Alternate Start

Immersive Weapons/Armor

AFT

Deadly Dragons

Convenient Horses

XP32 Maximum Skeleton

FNIS

SexLab

Further Lovers Comfort

Eager NPCs

SexSlaves (Hair and Piercings too)

Zaz Animation (and extras)

and it crashed. Randomly but most of the time during sex scenes.

Could be I screwed something up with that profile.

I'd like to try out some other Mods on here, Devious Devices stuff or Defeat/Submit, some quest mods aso. (All on different profiles to test ofc, until I'm sure what goes for the main.). Since I don't know which mods are particularly heavy on scripts or are bad (except for Wet & Cold, Frostfall and Perkus Maximus as I read in another Thread) would appreaciate some info about the other mods in the lists. Script heavy, performance heavy etc. 

For everyone that got this far, thanks ;) and thanks in advance if you decide to help a noob that tries to mod her game :D

There are no issues with your load order and I can't imagine why you are crashing. Please post your PC specs, specifically your processor, RAM and graphics card. Also have you made any alterations to the Skyrim.ini or SkyrimPrefs.ini files?

Please try again without Lover's Comfort for now. Also change your skeleton from XP32 to XPMSE, go for version 2.82 as least people have issues with that, if that works fine then try changing it for the latest version and see if the likes of load times or instability increase. http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/676-xp32-maximum-skeleton-extended/

Alternately if that doesn't help with the skeleton, then if you are using HDT Physics Extension try getting rid of that changing for now to this body or something equally simple; http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/37900/? without the HDT meshes in more advanced bodies. In that case keep the XP32 skeleton with this body, it's really only needed in conjuction with RaceMenu and HDT bodies.

Oh I cannot thank you enough for the link, i hadn't even heard of some these player homes.

I would be very interested in how to do that 'cheat'. Precisely which sliders i should be changing in SLAroused MCM, I always end up horny as hell all the time and npc's never seem in the mood, the sliders aren't exactly straight forward.

Check this mod out, looks new but promising and pretty cool

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/58660-scent-of-sex/page-1

r7 240 is a lower end card with 2gb video memory.  comparable nvidia is the gt 730 card.   Its about what you would find as onboard video or on a laptop without a dedicated video card.   Probably explains the low fps with realvision enb.   You will want to run performance versions of everything and limit what textures you are adding that will lead to low fps.   I am running the a10-7890 4.29ghz processor and it runs great, it is not as powerful as my other rig with the fx 8350 in it but those a10's are not bad.   Sacremas will probably have more advanced advice with an idea of what your running now.

you might want to try the vivid weathers and enb (drop cot, any lighting mod and realvision)  you will need to install enbseries 305 to run it.   from my early tests on it, it appears to be less resource heavy then the traditional cot+lighting+enb setup and does a better job of lighting (especially torches and candles etc) then most lighting mods I have tried.

Nope, with that in mind those are the advice I would give as well, performance ENB (ENB rather than ENBoost to take advantage of the extra RAM to swap) with everying set to as low as possible, basically everything off but the bare essentials, for textures I would get this; http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9957/? that's better textures than the base game that will run better than the base game as well, and much better than the offial high res DLC mod (which this is based on of course, it's the same textures more or less just optimized for efficient use). And yes I would use the new Vivid Weathers and it's ENB rather than CoT/ELFX (I did not actually use CoT/ELFX last play, I used Kinematic ENB Soutern Light which doesn't work with any such mods).

Thanks, will try that out next. Just want to see how far I can get with the Setup I~m running now... Only one crash so far, not connected to the mod that caused the crashes in my other setup. Was just about time I guess, after around 8 hours of gameplay without stuttering or ctd or whathaveyou :D

Gonna keep a save right before the breaking point, compare ENBoost and Vivid Weathers, see how both deal with it. 

Load Order is extremely light for my tastes, used to having lots more crap installed^^

Gonna tell you how Vivid runs as soon as I get there. Will there be any ini edits like with realvision enb, other than described in the mod page?

Two other things, with the UNP body mod you recommended. I like it, the only thing that irritates me a bit are the shoulders. They look a bit... broken? Gonna see if I can capture a screen to show. Other than that, the installer for that mod has it's own skeleton as an optional file, which one do I use? (AND! are there some armor mods for it? Vanilla conversions or something? Need to raid the nexus and ask google^^)

I usually like darker settings, like in dungeons aso, but with this setup... it's a bit too dark for my taste so if the vivid weathers enb turns out to work good with my system, would be amaying.

Wanted to ask something else, but aparently forgot about it while composing this wall of text here... no matter :D Edit: there we go, first gonna try with only the vivid enb and weather, if that works add the textures mod you linked. Not too sure I can run it, but trying nontheless.

Thanks again you 2!

This is very interesting!  65k max string count with variable names counting as a string.  I think all mod authors should be intimately familiar with this as there are ways to code where you limit the number of variables while still achieving the same results.

Thanks, will try that out next. Just want to see how far I can get with the Setup I~m running now... Only one crash so far, not connected to the mod that caused the crashes in my other setup. Was just about time I guess, after around 8 hours of gameplay without stuttering or ctd or whathaveyou :D

Gonna keep a save right before the breaking point, compare ENBoost and Vivid Weathers, see how both deal with it. 

Load Order is extremely light for my tastes, used to having lots more crap installed^^

Gonna tell you how Vivid runs as soon as I get there. Will there be any ini edits like with realvision enb, other than described in the mod page?

Two other things, with the UNP body mod you recommended. I like it, the only thing that irritates me a bit are the shoulders. They look a bit... broken? Gonna see if I can capture a screen to show. Other than that, the installer for that mod has it's own skeleton as an optional file, which one do I use? (AND! are there some armor mods for it? Vanilla conversions or something? Need to raid the nexus and ask google^^)

I usually like darker settings, like in dungeons aso, but with this setup... it's a bit too dark for my taste so if the vivid weathers enb turns out to work good with my system, would be amaying.

Wanted to ask something else, but aparently forgot about it while composing this wall of text here... no matter :D Edit: there we go, first gonna try with only the vivid enb and weather, if that works add the textures mod you linked. Not too sure I can run it, but trying nontheless.

Thanks again you 2!

I think basically every single outfit on the Nexus has been converted to that body, just do a search in either google or Nexus or here for UNPB adn you will get more hits than you know what to do with, including textures (try either one of these; this is a UNP body so any texture made for UNP/SevenBase etc can be used with it; http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/35267/? http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/51602/? and you can also find mods to change the sholders, hands, teeth or anything else you want).

The body is made by XP32, who also made those animations you may have used, and who also made of course the XP32 skeleton (that the XPMSE skeleton is based off, so basically by now everyone are using her work in one form or another), so it is totally fine to overwrite as long as the date stamp on the body is older or the same as the skeleton. If the date stamp on the skeleton is older (on the Nexus next to download file that is) then overwrite with the latest skeleton instead.

Right, finally done with testing, gonna share my discoveries now, in spoiler, cause my testing was very thorough I think^^ If you read it, and can understand what the papyrus logs say (if that's the reason why it's crashing aso.)

Here goes:

As I said, with this one mod (SexSlaves) I got crashes galore, particularly at 2 points during quests with Dominant Andrew. Since that was the first time my Skyrim crashed that much I figured something wasn't right either with my mods or my PC (potatoe more like). 

Light load order (with ENBoost):

Cleaned Update, Dawnguard, Hearthfires, Dragonborn esm.

Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Patch

ZaZAnimation Pack

SexLab

SexLabAroused Redux

MiasLair

Climates of Tamriel

Schlongs of Skyrim

Sky UI

FNIS

Newmiller Piercings 2 +3

AFT

Alternate Start

Now, the scenes that crashed previously (for people that played through the quests) are the ones at the Tavern in Dragon Bridge and at the Tavern Old Hroldan (do I see a pattern here or is it just me?)

At different parts of the scenes either ctd, runtime error or complete freeze up. Now, with ENBoost and the above load order I went through the scene at Dragon Bridge 10 times. Functions in different mods disabled:

SexSlaves - Cell Scans, Random Female Animations

SexLab Aroused Redux - Purge something something (should have written it down >_<) every 10 days (basically you get a message at the left upper corner of your screen, telling you something... disabled cause I thought it may put a strain on something. Just for testing purposes, would like to enable it permanently though.)

SexLab - all animation settings like face animations during sex scenes aso.

This one, let's call it default save, got 2 runs, just to make sure. Both times it went through without a hitch. Success^^ No lag, no freezes, everything fine.

Next, I enabled everything. And with that I mean everything! Trying to put as much stress on my pc as I could. 

Different results:

1st run the last scene didn't trigger. I waited for some time, then opened the console, something with lag. (don't have a papyrus protocoll for that one sadly :()

2nd: ctd at the end of the scene

3rd: runtime error

4th: everything fine!

activated the papyrus log

It was hard, because at that point, the scene played out wonderfully. No crashes, runtime error, freezes. Nothing. All Animations in there and nothing went wrong. 

3rd run through finally got me somewhere (by now I hoped for a crash or anything to happen just to have some proof^^). So, last scene didn't trigger. Just stood there, naked. I could move, Andrew didn't. When i left the Tavern, he didn't follow, just stood there, waiting for the last scene to trigger I suppose.

last scene not loading.txt <- papyrus log for that one

next try, everything ok

last try: ctd

1st scene ctd.txt

Off towards Old Hroldan Inn. This one was a bit harder to complete, and I was tired^^ so not that many test runs through that. Especially since you get to choose how (what animations) you start off.

Again, I used default and stress testing mod settings.

No logs for that, default settings:

choose from:

1-- ctd

2-- ok

3-- runtime error

4-- ctd

logs, default setting

1 -- runtime error

1st, def, old hroldan.txt

2 -- ok

3 -- ctd

3rd, def, old hroldan.txt

4 -- runtime error

4th, def, old hroldan.txt

Now with all the supposed stress settings (supposed by me)

choices 1-3 ctd, choice 4 complete freeze up

1st, stress, old hroldan.txt

2nd, stress, old hroldan.txt

3rd, stress, old hroldan.txt

Don't know which one is the last one, didn't name them properly (tired as all^^) so you get both of them.

Papyrus.3.log

Papyrus.2.log <-- I think this one was another try at choice nr. 2, just to see if it would play out, on default mod settings.

Tried to make this as unintrusive as possible, that's why all the spoilers.

Now, I said I would try out Vivd Weathers + ENB. 

FPS is, again, around 15. Can't get it higher. So in the end, I suppose, I need to get back to ENBoost + CoT cause that was the first time without anything annoying to happen. I can deal with one or the other crash. But whole scenes where I need to work to get through just to continue with the quest was just annoying. So you already helped me a lot here :) Thanks for that. And sorry for the big dump of info and logs in the spoilers.

Well in both the "nothing happened" log and in the "it crashed" log you had at the end...

[03/17/2016 - 05:17:32PM] ERROR: Cannot call GetValue() on a None object, aborting function call
stack:
    [MiaAndrewFindSkooma (090FDC8B)].MiaAndrewFindSkoomaScript.questCompleted() - "MiaAndrewFindSkoomaScript.psc" Line 349
    [MiaAndrewFindSkooma (090FDC8B)].MiaAndrewFindSkoomaScript.Fragment_8() - "MiaAndrewFindSkoomaScript.psc" Line 82
[03/17/2016 - 05:17:32PM] warning: Assigning None to a non-object variable named "::temp53"
stack:
    [MiaAndrewFindSkooma (090FDC8B)].MiaAndrewFindSkoomaScript.questCompleted() - "MiaAndrewFindSkoomaScript.psc" Line 349
    [MiaAndrewFindSkooma (090FDC8B)].MiaAndrewFindSkoomaScript.Fragment_8() - "MiaAndrewFindSkoomaScript.psc" Line 82
[03/17/2016 - 05:17:32PM] ERROR: Cannot call SetValue() on a None object, aborting function call
stack:
[03/17/2016 - 05:17:56PM] VM is freezing...

Now I can't say what this means, if anything at all, but I don't think it's significant since it's both there when it just didn't work and when you crashed, I don't think this is what is crashing you, but Fishburger can tell you more.

By the way, try turning papyrus loggign OFF and rerunning the scenes, as Papyrus logging takes up more resources than many intensive mods do and it really should be off during normal play, basically only turn it on and rerun the situation. Actually take out CoT as well, just use normal vanilla weathers. If you are going to use something other than Vivid Weathers try Purity; http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65242/? If you get bad results from that, take all weather mods and all unecessary things out of your load order, you just do not have the computer to use them. Save up for some serious computer upgrades (really Skyrim is one of the last games you will be able to play on your current setup if you are having this many issues), but for now just get rid of everything not absolutely required to play what you want to play. Change penises also from Schlongs of Skyrim to Better Males Favoredsoul; http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/2488/? As I said right above here before you posted, SOS is horrifically resource intensive, more so than the rest of your mods combined.

Oh and also by now you have probably taken out so many things that your savegame is dead. Sorry, start a new game all over again. That is just how Skyrim works, Fallout and Oblivion you can rip things out all the time with no real issues, SKyrim however and you doom your save doing so. In fact once you have taken out SOS, on a new save game you will porbably have a lot less problems than you will on your current savegame no matter what you do with it. You can try running savegame cleaner... but I wouldn't bet on it helping much.

I have AMD Radeon R9 200 series 4GB memory and haven't any problem I consider it a good card but I am facing also problems with the ENB when lot of mods running scripts. As I have read a comment best would be to have arround 4-5 mods with heavy scripts but I guess we all using more. Now with 230 mods plus some merged like UKC armors and companions plus mine (lol) the ENB is facing problems which you can easily see when it loads a save game and ENB isn't working.

Recently I crashed Mia's Lair updating it in the middle of a play-through (my stupidity) so I started a new test with taking some mods out insert some mods in changed Aroused with Aroused Redux (wonderful mod) and also I added Immersive Armors and Dragonborn Legacy the results where a very stable game but having problems when I was trying to load a save so as Sacremas mentioned 65k max string seems to corrupt the saves especially if you count also more than 4-5 script mods. Skyrim by default has plenty of limits which with all the modding tools we challenge each time to break them. While I was playing I opened the task manager and was surprised to see that Skyrim was using 1million k+ memory. So it's not only the graphic card which may or may not get involved in the perfomance of Skyrim but a lot more things. Seems Beth devs where making a game to be a bit stable with only the vanila way they didn't thought about mods, scripts, etc. 

Before 9 months I couldn't dream about so many mods in my Skyrim  play-through but reading all the wall texts from Sacremas :) I managed  to pass the limit of 255 mods and I consider him a great guide through the paths of Skyrim.

By the way never thought about papyrus how you turn it off?

I have AMD Radeon R9 200 series 4GB memory and haven't any problem I consider it a good card but I am facing also problems with the ENB when lot of mods running scripts. As I have read a comment best would be to have arround 4-5 mods with heavy scripts but I guess we all using more. Now with 230 mods plus some merged like UKC armors and companions plus mine (lol) the ENB is facing problems which you can easily see when it loads a save game and ENB isn't working.

Recently I crashed Mia's Lair updating it in the middle of a play-through (my stupidity) so I started a new test with taking some mods out insert some mods in changed Aroused with Aroused Redux (wonderful mod) and also I added Immersive Armors and Dragonborn Legacy the results where a very stable game but having problems when I was trying to load a save so as Sacremas mentioned 65k max string seems to corrupt the saves especially if you count also more than 4-5 script mods. Skyrim by default has plenty of limits which with all the modding tools we challenge each time to break them. While I was playing I opened the task manager and was surprised to see that Skyrim was using 1million k+ memory. So it's not only the graphic card which may or may not get involved in the perfomance of Skyrim but a lot more things. Seems Beth devs where making a game to be a bit stable with only the vanila way they didn't thought about mods, scripts, etc. 

Before 9 months I couldn't dream about so many mods in my Skyrim  play-through but reading all the wall texts from Sacremas :) I managed  to pass the limit of 255 mods and I consider him a great guide through the paths of Skyrim.

To turn off papyrus logging you need to locate your skyrim.ini in Documents/My Games/skyrim or you can open it in mod organizer with ini editor. Once you have it open look for this:

{Papyrus}

fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0

bEnablelogging=1

bEnableTrace=1

bLoadDebugInformation=1

Change the 1 to 0 on the three bottom lines and save. This will disable papyrus logging and changing them back to 1 and saving will enable it again.

edit: Correction if you use Mod Organizer the skyrim.ini file will be in the Mod Organizer/profiles/current profile folder but you can just use the ini editor as well.

Skyrim should be taking up around 2-3 GB when also running ENB, that's around 2.5 million kb. Nothing to be worried about at all, only be worried when it approaches 4 million.

65k max string was something I posted from anoher user's findings, not having Skyrim installed now I have no way to verify this or figure out what things are very demanding in addign strings, but I can guarantee you that Legacy will be one of the very big bads, it will probably add more strings than 10 other quest mods put together.... because it's as big in content as 10 other quest mods put together. So that is really not a good idea to add if you are already having problems and you have this many plugins installed. I would install Legacy only around the 200 plugins mark. Just as a pointer, if you have 200 quest adventures each with their own detailed MCM function then that's a lot more strings than 200 sexy outfits obviously (the 200 sexy outfits should specifically add no strings by themselves, leaning towards outfits that can't be crafted as I think it's a quest function that adds them to that list), so use your own judgement.

The Duck steered you correct in turning off papyrus logging, and it's also mentioned on the front page. Papyrus logging take about as much resource as three intensive mods to keep active, so you will actually see a lot more problems and issues with it active than turned off. It's like Schroedinger's cat thing, also as I mentioned on first page.

Done with papyrus thanks a lot and you are definitely 200% correct with Legacy very good mod but it changes so much things plus hundreds of activations e.t.c.  wow never mind haven't seen it before so I am checking it right now  I am on level 70 playthrough and the game is running well except when I want to load a save sometimes having problems. I think ENB with up to 200 mods including merged ones and not to many script ones would run smoothly but that is what i imagine from my game. Also what I noticed with UKC very good merged collection using the Immersive Armors 7.1 there are 2-3 missing textures not a big problem  :D  its so big and nice collection !!

Edit 1. I am also skeptical when I load a save game about mods like Death Alternative  which always pops up the message "DA Ready" perhaps is delaying the loading considering the load of ENB also (just a thought).

So I was talking to some of the guys working deep on SKSE and such with both Skyrim, Fallout 3/NV and now Fallout 4, and they say absolutely and emphatically to leave those BSAs alone. Regardless of your configuration the game will always load BSAs faster and better than normal. For hair mods you can wear helmets wtih a lot of custom hairs if you just pack them into a BSA, because the game has issues reading those files and ignores them in favor of the helmet alone so you end up bald under the helmet, do a BSA and hairs can come packed with a helmet hair mesh that activates when you put on an appropriate helmet, while you need to put on the wig if you want to do that without a BSA. Even textures alone works worse when unpacked from BSAs, and so you should always keep BSAs, especially mods that come packed in BSAs. Apparently this whole "game runs faster without BSAs" originates during the early days of Skyrim modding, and was a placebo thing since. Bethesda's choice for BSAs for as much as possible is actually the best one.

The longer you mod, the more you learn. And knowing is half the battle... well it's a lot more than that actually, since it keeps you from having to repeat the battle over and over again. So GI Joe was right too.

20070402_gijoe.png

So I was talking to some of the guys working deep on SKSE and such with both Skyrim, Fallout 3/NV and now Fallout 3, and they say absolutely and emphatically to leave those BSAs alone. Regardless of your configuration the game will always load BSAs faster and better than normal. For hair mods you can wear helmets wtih a lot of custom hairs if you just pack them into a BSA, because the game has issues reading those files and ignores them in favor of the helmet alone so you end up bald under the helmet, do a BSA and hairs can come packed with a helmet hair mesh that activates when you put on an appropriate helmet, while you need to put on the wig if you want to do that without a BSA. Even textures alone works worse when unpacked from BSAs, and so you should always keep BSAs, especially mods that come packed in BSAs. Apparently this whole "game runs faster without BSAs" originates during the early days of Skyrim modding, and was a placebo thing since. Bethesda's choice for BSAs for as much as possible is actually the best one.

The longer you mod, the more you learn. And knowing is half the battle... well it's a lot more than that actually, since it keeps you from having to repeat the battle over and over again. So GI Joe was right too.

20070402_gijoe.png

so does that mean one should go back and reinstall all the mods that were unpacked?  and would doing so destroy saves?  Hate to restart current game as almost done with the dawnguard line of quests.  

as a side note, is dawnguard really buggy?   since starting the main quest line quests do not load correctly.   example when you are doing the puzzle to free serana the purple flames never appear.   have to save and reload that save for it to work.   same with almost all the animations, have to save and reload then they all trigger.   Or did something break along the way?

Hey I got another question for ya. I installed the Underground Bathhouse you linked and the invite dialogue is not showing up on npc's. tried the amulet too no luck, is there any pre-requisites i need to meet to be able to invite npc's to UB?

Also what is an apporiate amount your save should grow in KB? My save went from 9301 kb to 11,100kb in a matter of a few in game days so maybe i still have save bloat.

as a side note, is dawnguard really buggy?   since starting the main quest line quests do not load correctly.   example when you are doing the puzzle to free serana the purple flames never appear.   have to save and reload that save for it to work.   same with almost all the animations, have to save and reload then they all trigger.   Or did something break along the way?

If I remember well in a video tutorial from Game Poets Dawnguard when cleaning with TES5Edit it needs a second cleaning as 6 ITM files are still there after the 1st cleaning. Also It shows a best way how to have the original files and the clean ones so not to need everytime to verify the files in Skyrim.

found it link to the video:      

p.s. 1 yep Dawnguard and whole Skyrim is buggy lol

p.s. 2 Probably the save was a bit corrupted so best to save often and remember to clean also the save files which are stored and are consuming space :)

If I remember well in a video tutorial from Game Poets Dawnguard when cleaning with TES5Edit it needs a second cleaning as 6 ITM files are still there after the 1st cleaning. Also It shows a best way how to have the original files and the clean ones so not to need everytime to verify the files in Skyrim.

found it link to the video:      

p.s. 1 yep Dawnguard and whole Skyrim is buggy lol

p.s. 2 Probably the save was a bit corrupted so best to save often and remember to clean also the save files which are stored and are consuming space :)

yep, indeed 6 files were still out there.   Did not know that.   Also did not know to keep a clean copy of the dlc and up date and to move them back to the data folder.   will have to think about going back and doing that properly someday.   Re-installed everything in mod list and left the BSA's there this time.   So far everything is stable and running pretty fast, though have not started dawnguard yet, which is where is fell apart last time.    Thanks!

Hey I got another question for ya. I installed the Underground Bathhouse you linked and the invite dialogue is not showing up on npc's. tried the amulet too no luck, is there any pre-requisites i need to meet to be able to invite npc's to UB?

Also what is an apporiate amount your save should grow in KB? My save went from 9301 kb to 11,100kb in a matter of a few in game days so maybe i still have save bloat.

Bathouse, I don't know what is going on, I get the invite just fine. Some mod is blocking you. Unfortunately I have no ability to figure out what it is due to no Skyrim installed, nor time to do so, but this is not good, and other mods may be blocked the same way.

Save size is fine below say 20 MB in my experience. Go to 30 and above and it starts to be an issue, but you should still be able to load the game below 100 MB. I have seen saves in the gigabyte size.

Regarding the repackign BSAs question: You can continue playing with that game without any issues, it should not affect your save or even complain in Papyrus, if anything it should remove papyrus errors because the scripts are now where the game thinks they should be.

And that is all I have time for now as I am heading to stay with family for easter, and will not have internet access until saturday until then. I trust you guys can help each other out if issues arise until then.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a mod some of you may like, particularily those good with facegen. Alternate Actors. This is a mod that lets you play multiple characters in the same savegame, so instead of having a Dragonborn that's ArchHarbringer of the Thieves Brotherhood and champion of all the aedra and daedra, you run multiple characters, so one is a stealthy sneak that does the thieves guild, one is your nord dragonborn doing the main quest and nordic ruins, one is your elf running the Winterhold questline, etc. I heard about this thread over in a Reddit thread, and there's also a Brodual video here;

Here's a mod some of you may like, particularily those good with facegen. Alternate Actors. This is a mod that lets you play multiple characters in the same savegame, so instead of having a Dragonborn that's ArchHarbringer of the Thieves Brotherhood and champion of all the aedra and daedra, you run multiple characters, so one is a stealthy sneak that does the thieves guild, one is your nord dragonborn doing the main quest and nordic ruins, one is your elf running the Winterhold questline, etc. I heard about this thread over in a Reddit thread, and there's also a Brodual video here;

Neat idea for a role playing run through. 

I've used EFF to recruit a "Dragonborn" from Colorful Magic before, so that I could play as a nebbish caught up in events. Looks like a much more satisfying way to play that kind of game.

This would also give a reason for adding follower mods without custom dialog. Want to play a female only quest line, or a quest you think makes no sense for the Dragonborn (say some of the slavery quests)? Jump into the body of a pretty follower and let her deal with it.

Tried Alternate Actors. It worked almost perfectly, including the "Ghost" option (die as your main character, return as a ghost who must find a new body).

Did run into a semi-bug. Die as an alternat actor and my main character is summoned and dropped next to the character who just died. Before the summoned main character leaves the AA load screen, enemies can take free shots. Frustrating.

All in all, a very fun mod.