Budget PC recommendations

Snazzishoez

I've got about 4-8 weeks to finish up getting the remaining parts before building hopefully.  I started to mess around with PC Part Picker and found that the two pieces you recommended bjornk, for the case, Cooler Master Silencio 352 will work best.  Also, you and another recommended staying away from the RAM Kingston Hyper Fury and go with the Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB instead. 

Because I don't want to wait too long, I'll probably go with the CPU Intel Core i5 4590 and upgrade later to something like an i7-4790.  I was getting messages about using that motherboard with what I chose and thought maybe MSI H97M-E35.   All of this seems to be compatible and reasonable in price. 

I know, I must sound wishy-washy on this set up, week by week.  At this point the set up looks like so:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590

GPU: Gefore GTX 770 (already have this)

PSU: Corsair CS750M (already have this)

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB

Case: Cooler Master Silencio 352

HDD: WD Blue 1 TB

ODD: Samsung 24x SATA

MOBO: MSI H97M-E35

The list looks okay to me. For reference, here's roughly what I bought for my build (I already had the rest):

- Cooler Master Silencio 352

- Kingston HyperX Savage 2x4GB CL9 XMP 1600MHz (sadly the retailer didn't have the Crucial memory that I've recommended)

- Asus H97M-PLUS

- Intel i7 4790 3.6 GHz (the one without 'K')

- Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD

- WD Caviar Blue 1TB

As I mentioned earlier, I really can't recommend the Asus as a motherboard though. Also keep in mind that this motherboard has only 2 connectors for case fans, so in order to use 3 fans or more, you'll have to connect them to either directly to the PSU or to an additional fan controller. (I was thinking of buying the MSI motherboard on your list, but upon seeing the popularity of the Asus at Newegg, I then changed my mind and now I'm not at all happy with the decision).

As for the Cooler Master case, it's cute and compact. However, there really isn't much space at the back for cable management. Get your self an additional package of zip-ties and tie up everything closely, otherwise you may have difficulty closing the case's side panel. You may consider Corsair Obsidian 350D if it's within your budget. It definitely has better options for cable management and much easier to work with. If you can't afford it, Silencio is fine.

Also, I really can't say that the noise dampening material on the case makes any difference, it's just as noisy as any other case. If you want silence get proper case fans (with less than 16dB).

Silencio 352 comes with two standard fans with 3-pin connectors (so no PWM, but I think the Asus motherboard allows you to control their speed by changing the DC voltage). They are not too loud though, but not particularly silent either. I've added one additional fan to the front though, just in case.

Keep in mind that the Corsair is bigger and heavier than Silencio 352. If the size or weight of the case matters to you then stick with Silencio.

Yeah I've used PC Part Picker.  I like that site a lot, but it  makes notes a lot that it can't confirm fits often.  Also, a lot of times the stuff I'm looking for isn't listed, so I can't be sure.  I imagine it's difficult for them to piece together every single part available.  It's a great place to get ideas and some information.  In the end, other people who have been through the experience of using the same exact parts you want to use are your best resource.

Cases has been the hardest item to nail. 

As far as I know, unless you have a special request of the "6 HDDs" kind, the case only need to fit the motherboard. Am I wrong ? (curiosity)

not really as you need to fit the graphics card, psu and any cooling options in as well and you still want space for ventilation

some of the cpu fans you can get are massive for instance

Archived