Budget PC recommendations

Snazzishoez

Amd Cpu and go for Amd Gpu.

Intel Cpu go for Intel Gpu.

That is one old and simple rule.

And a false rule. It doesn't matter if you use intel + nvidia, or intel + amd, or whatever combination you like. 

It also doesn't matter if you use a motherboard for an intel chipset or a motherboard for an amd chipset. 

@OP i would say, stick with the R9 280x but take another power supply. The XFX core isn't that great, i would atleast get a nice Antec because they have a good quality and high efficiency. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-hcg520m

Or if you have the money and you can get your hands on it (dunno where you live) get a bequiet straight power E10 or dark power 10

450-550W should be more than enough if you get a decent PSU, especially since you are not overclocking your cpu. 

Well I ended up only doing the GPU (GTX 750ti) and the PSU (650W).  All seems well.  I was worried about bottle necking.  Originally I installed a Corsair 750W and it wouldn't fire up at all.  I thought I broke something.  Then I was worried that maybe a GTX 770 would be too much, so I went for the R9 280x.  Those Radeon cards are huge!  I could not fit that thing inside my case for the life of me.  So I had to replace it with the GTX 750 ti.  This case I have is small.  It's funny because I thought it was a decent size.  I'll be happy to build a new PC next year with a huge case. 

I'm going to upgrade a little more soon.  I was thinking of the CPU and perhaps adding RAM?  I'm using HDD and I've heard good things about SDD.  I really want to do my best to be able to enjoy some more high resolution.  Actually, perhaps my best bet would be to maybe invest in a new monitor, but I think what I have now is "okay".  It really is a world of difference since I upgraded.  I'm running Skyrim on Ultra High and getting between 50-60 fps.  My rig is super quiet and not heating up.  I do notice if I use an ENB though, my frame rate drops dramatically.  I"m using the "I Can't Believe It's Not ENB" mod.  It's gorgeous. 

I want to be able to use aMidianborn textures on my armors and weapons and mess with some of the landscape textures if possible.  I really want my fps to stay up.  What pieces would you recommend next?  The HDD would mean I'd have to buy Windows too, right?  Changing the CPU would be easy?  Not sure, but I thought RAM was the easiest thing to upgrade.

Thanks for all help and suggestions guys/gals. :D

Yeah, if you want faster booting and game loading, you definitely should switch to an SSD. But then I would recommend at least 256GB, especially if you have only one SSD for your OS + Skyrim + mods. The Crucial MX100 265GB should fit your needs well.

For your graphic card I would say there even could be an Geforce GTX 960 within your budget (~150 GBP). And still with a 1500GBP equipment you shouldnt need more than 500W, so if think around 750GBP there a be Quiet Pure Power L8-CM 530 W definitely should fit your needs and even let some space for upgrading.

RAM definitely is the easiest part to change/upgrade, you just switch the cards. 8GB are normal for a better PC today, maybe you could buy 16GB. I'm thinking for me atm about the Crucial Ballistix Sport DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR3-1600

I don't know what you want from your CPU, but there I have two alternatives for you: if you want Hyperthreading, but no overclocking, the Xeon E3-1231 v3 could be a solution for you. The other way round, so no Hyperthreading but overclocking, the Intel Core i5 4690K should be within your budget.

I've lately made a list for myself where literally anything for a new computer is included: My 1350GBP List I want to upgrade from Notebook soon, so I have to buy anything. Maybe it helps as a reference. I'm only not that happy with my actual HDD, I'm thinking about buying one from Western Digital. instead

I would rather not get an L8 CM 530, since it is pretty old and there are already 2 new generations from bequiet (E9 and E10) with even better quality.

The few € you could save from the L8 aren't really worth it. 

I really want my fps to stay up.  What pieces would you recommend next? 

A better GPU since the 750Ti is nothing more but an office card on steroids. :P  I would get a decent Case and get that 280x/290 or something similar from nvidia. 

Changing the CPU would be easy?  Not sure, but I thought RAM was the easiest thing to upgrade.

Upgrading Ram is easy aslong as you buy the right one. Changing the CPU depends. The new cpu needs to fit into the current board and the board needs to support the new cpu. you might need to update the bios of the current board. 

Well I ended up only doing the GPU (GTX 750ti) and the PSU (650W).  All seems well.  I was worried about bottle necking.  Originally I installed a Corsair 750W and it wouldn't fire up at all.  I thought I broke something.  Then I was worried that maybe a GTX 770 would be too much, so I went for the R9 280x.  Those Radeon cards are huge!  I could not fit that thing inside my case for the life of me.  So I had to replace it with the GTX 750 ti.  This case I have is small.  It's funny because I thought it was a decent size.  I'll be happy to build a new PC next year with a huge case. 

I'm going to upgrade a little more soon.  I was thinking of the CPU and perhaps adding RAM?  I'm using HDD and I've heard good things about SDD.  I really want to do my best to be able to enjoy some more high resolution.  Actually, perhaps my best bet would be to maybe invest in a new monitor, but I think what I have now is "okay".  It really is a world of difference since I upgraded.  I'm running Skyrim on Ultra High and getting between 50-60 fps.  My rig is super quiet and not heating up.  I do notice if I use an ENB though, my frame rate drops dramatically.  I"m using the "I Can't Believe It's Not ENB" mod.  It's gorgeous. 

I want to be able to use aMidianborn textures on my armors and weapons and mess with some of the landscape textures if possible.  I really want my fps to stay up.  What pieces would you recommend next?  The HDD would mean I'd have to buy Windows too, right?  Changing the CPU would be easy?  Not sure, but I thought RAM was the easiest thing to upgrade.

Thanks for all help and suggestions guys/gals. :D

If you buy a new HD such as a SSD you can connect it first as a secondary hard disk and then clone the primary hard disk to it so you then end up with an exact copy, turn off the PC and take out the old HD and connect the new SSD in its place and you will boot etc exactly as before just much quicker, as i mentioned though i personnally didn't see any ingame / game benchmark improvements from having a SSD though.

Upgrading the CPU is more problematic since first you need to make sure that you get the correct pin layout for your motherboard and that the one you want to upgrade to has the same pin layout, if it doesn't then you need a new motherboard as well as a new CPU

I did install a new CPU and new motherboard myself not long again and that does involve having to re-install the operating system, if you have a pre-installed OS on your PC as long as its got the sticker with the serial you can download the operating system before hand and stick it on a disc and install from that and use the serial on the sticker to install although you then have to validate with microsoft via telephone (they didn't actually ask me any questions other than for a code and then gave me a code back but i was going to say was replacing faulty hardware if they did)

It is meant to be possible to use the recovery option as well (according to the internet) but this didn't work for me and apparently doesn't work for the majority of people.

RAM is piss easy to upgrade, just take out the old and put in the new but make sure that you hear the click from it slotting into place properly as a poorly seated module will generally pass the bios check but then cause no end of problems when you try and game

As for monitors if you have one that can do 1920 x 1080 resolution then i doubt you'll see a improvement unless you get a very expensive one, if you have one that doesn't do that resolution then you might want to upgrade

Why then shows be Quiet the L8 in it's current part list? Official be Qiuet page having the L8 as the latest PSU of their Pure Power series.

That is the Pure Power Series that haven't had a new generation lately. The new PSU generations are in the Straight Power and Dark Power Series. 

If i remember it right the Pure Power L8 had its release in 2011, nearly 4 years ago.

Before buying a PC power supply, please do read its review at one of the web sites below:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Review_Cat&recatnum=13

http://www.kitguru.net/category/components/power-supplies/

- Never buy a PSU with a low overall score.

- Try to choose one with a high "build quality" score.

- If the PSU employs crappy capacitors (such as CapXon, Teapo etc.) DO NOT buy it, as it is very likely that it'll have a very short life.

- Also keep in mind that not every model of the same brand has the same quality. Low end models of Corsair PSUs, such as the VS series, employs the aforementioned capacitors, for instance.

Before buying a PC power supply, please do read its review at one of the web sites below:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Review_Cat&recatnum=13

http://www.kitguru.net/category/components/power-supplies/

- Never buy a PSU with a low overall score.

- Try to choose one with a high "build quality" score.

- If the PSU employs crappy capacitors (such as CapXon, Teapo etc.) DO NOT buy it, as it is very likely that it'll have a very short life.

- Also keep in mind that not every model of the same brand has the same quality. Low end models of Corsair PSUs, such as the VS series, employs the aforementioned capacitors, for instance.

Would going for gold rated PSUs be a more easier choice?

There's another avenue that most probably haven't considered.  Some people order a customized PCarrow-10x10.png from manufacturers, then cancel their order at some later date, prior to delivery.  Sometimes said PCarrow-10x10.png is well into or even finished the manufacturing processarrow-10x10.png prior to order cancellation.  For some reason they can't sell these things at their usual prices, so they go to the "discountarrow-10x10.png" pile, often right beside those with minor imperfections (case scratches, the like), that they couldn't sell as "officially new", but are otherwise perfectly fine.  If you're willing to

A. Compromise (you already have, it seems.)

and

B. Wait for something as close as possible to what you really wanted to come along,

You can often get a really good PC damn near at cost.  Price out the individual parts, and you'll likely be a believer.  I know I am.  I was in the processarrow-10x10.png of doing exactly what you're doing and build it myself, until I realized that I could get someone's discard that was almost exactly what I wanted, at just slightly over the cost of the parts, and someone else would build it, too! 

Pretty good deal, if you're willing to do some site camping, as the really good ones go quickly.  Also, you still have to do your research so that you know exactly what you want, and get exactly what you think you're getting.

I'm looking at Dellarrow-10x10.png outlet.  Not a super fan of Dellarrow-10x10.png, but the computer before this one was such, and I never had problems with it that I can remember.

Here's the page for what I'm looking at.  Modify the settings to the left of the screen for whatever you're looking for, and remember that just because it isn't there today, doesn't mean it won't be tomorrow.  My friend waited/camped for two months to get his deal.  And what a deal he got.

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&brandid=2202&fid=5991

Would going for gold rated PSUs be a more easier choice?

No since 80plus sticker only rates the efficiency but not the actual quality and safety of a power supply. 

So then it just comes down to researching your parts.

Pretty much. You have to research different PSU's on different (!) sites, then compare them to other PSU's and you need to make sure you are not accidentally looking for outdated PSU's, because some older ones can't handle modern hardware etc

Or you have to trust the opinion of other people or better: both :D

Relying on the opinion of others alone could be risky, because for an example: some might actually know what they are talking about and others just happen to have a random psu that worked and they recommend it because of that. 

A decade ago? You might want to consider changing soon then if you wanna be on the save side, because capacitors could start leaking or get bloated especially after so many years. ;)

Seems i was exaggerating slightly as i've just looked and its only since 2008 i've had this PSU so 6-7 years (which if we round up is a decade :) ) although it has been in 3 or 4 different PC's in that time and until it starts causing issues intend to keep it since the next time i go through a upgrade cycle GPU power requirements will probably increase by then and i'll have to get a new one anyway

A decade ago? You might want to consider changing soon then if you wanna be on the save side, because capacitors could start leaking or get bloated especially after so many years. ;)

Seems i was exaggerating slightly as i've just looked and its only since 2008 i've had this PSU so 6-7 years (which if we round up is a decade :) ) although it has been in 3 or 4 different PC's in that time and until it starts causing issues intend to keep it since the next time i go through a upgrade cycle GPU power requirements will probably increase by then and i'll have to get a new one anyway

I had an Antec TruPower 550 go for over 10 years without problems, that PSU is from 2002 and I finally stopped using it last year when I retired the machine it was in. No more use these days for an old ATX PSU without any SATA power and only the 20pin ATX and P4 connectors. It effectively ran 24/7 at about 40% load for 12 years. Quality parts do matter. ;)

Using a SSD as a system disk makes a huge difference for the overall feel of the PC. Everything is so much quicker (except FPS when gaming). My SSD broke and while waiting for a replacement I restored a backup to an old 7200 rpm disk. My PC was so slow, it felt like a different computer.

But since SSD are still expensive, I use a 240GB SSD as a system disk and old mechanical disks for storing files and big programs/games.

When Windows bugs you to configure a system image backup, do so. It's really nice to have when your disk breaks!

Well I ended up rethinking my system after getting the couple of components I purchased.  Obviously, not knowing much and doing some research wasn't enough.  I was working with a budget that wasn't working.  I wanted to scrap pieces of what I had with my budget plan, but it backfired.  I need to start from scratch.  Same budget, but I might have to go up a bit.  I put my old system back together and decided to rework the original idea. 

Sadly, as much as I know that PC gaming is way better than console gaming, I really only use PC for a handful of games.  Mostly Skyrim and Fallout NV, because they are heavily mod friendly.  I also dabble with Fallout 3 and it's been a long time since I played Oblivion.  Mass Effect and Dragon Age are the only other games I've used on PC.  I guess the only games I might look forward to on PC are Fallout 4 and Elder Scrolls VI, whenever they come out, but by then I'll probably be working on a rig that will be high end.

Now I've gotten the Nvidia GTX 770 graphics card and a Corsair CX 750 M power supply.  Only reason I went with 750W was because on the GTX box it says it requires a minimum of 600W.  Now I plan to get the Intel Core i5 4690k for my PSU and the ASUS Z97 motherboard..  That already puts me over my original $700 budget ($761).  Then the rest of the stuff isn't so bad.  RAM was either going to be the Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB for $73 or the Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB for $72.  The HDD seems like it's going to be WD Blue 1 TB for $55.  The case I'm not sure of.  I like the recommendations provided, but the Cooler Master HAF ATX Mid Tower sounds alright. Runs for $60.  Lastly the ODD, ASUS 24x DVD Burner still sounds fine at $22.

Total ends up being $971.  I really wanted to go much higher.  It's amazing how nice each piece can be.  The case I wanted was almost $300.  Sad.  I'm going to have to wait a little longer, but hopefully this will be worth the wait.  I'm still looking at the posts here and doing some research before i finish this stuff off.  I did get to enjoy the purchase I made for a little bit.  Makes me want this new set up more.

Well, another thingy, that wasn't mentioned yet is the problem of the size/shape.

Some pieces just don't fit together, even though there are guidelines/norms. So, you should search for your mainboard and your case and look if the one fits in the other. Sometimes the screwholes of the mainboard just aren't located above the ones of the case.

Or your CPU Cooler and the RAM. Sometimes the cooler is too big, so it covers the places the RAM should go.

So, look in some forums if there are any complaints, that some of your components don't fit together...

Now I plan to get the Intel Core i5 4690k for my PSU and the ASUS Z97 motherboard..

Now that I have a first-hand experience with their new motherboards, I really wouldn't recommend Asus as a motherboard brand. Careful users may have noticed that there are problems with their motherboards either with their drivers or with the onboard devices which are still unresolved even after a few years upon their release. If you go and check the ROG forums you'll find a couple of threads about several such problems.

So, first of all, unless you want to safely overclock your CPU then there's no need to buy a Z97 motherboard. H97 motherboards also have overclocking capabilities BTW. Go for a motherboard with a minimal set of on-board devices, just the standard ones (USB 3.0, Gigabit Eth, Realtek on-board sound etc.) should be enough. Don't pay for any other feature you won't be using. The on-board audio on Asus H97M-PLUS (which I bought) really is a piece of shit, so don't believe the false advertisement about their custom capacitors will enhance the sound etc, it's all bullshit.

I'll go with MSI (or Gigabyte) for the motherboard for my next build. MSI seems to have the best software for motherboards and graphic cards BTW.

Keep in mind that with the budget you have, you're basically *renting* a motherboard for five or six years at best.

Archived