How do you justify your character wearing skimpy outfits? [Roleplaying]

LibertyPrime

i was a voracious reader  for 40 years, now the first book of sci fantasy i read was Robert e Howard's the Iron devil where Conan saves the skimpy clad princes or slave girl (been a while),

ever since that moment to me sci fantasy has been for me the way Robert had seen it. Men bold and the women were naked ! and really wtf is wrong with that!

My male characters are in just as skimpy attire. I'm still waiting for the rest of the armors from Sam.. gotta have my eyecandy :D

I'm all in for "skimpy" male outfits when the style makes sense. Like those barbarian hide/fur kilts with bare chest and arms.

But all outfits i've seen from SAM look more like what the Chippendales or YMCA would be wearing in Skyrim.

Cropping an armor down to nothing but boots and a g-string, nah sorry that's not for me.

People in the West tend to prefer keeping female sexuality (and 'sexualization') entirely compartmentalized in a distant sphere from their everyday conduct and attire whereas it is just considered another element in a complete,well rounded male character's on-screen/in-series depiction even to the extent that explicit male sexuality can be played for humor.

No justification is ever required for male character costuming no matter how impractical besides it fitting their personality type or vocation(a tough guy or berserker,for example,don't need to give a schpiel on why they think marching off into battle in only their small clothes...unarmored small clothes,at that, is a good idea).

Perhaps you are unusual as a niche audience within a niche audience who would use this site who prefer female modesty?

As a point of fact, I find the "barbarian" male costumes equally absurd and refuse to use those in combat as well. It's not about "compartmentalizing" female sexuality, and more about competence on the battlefield. If you were going to dig a bit deeper, you're barking up the wrong tree here. I'm more of a submissive personality type, which is a big part of why I find confidence and competence to be attractive features in a woman. To subvert their own survivability and effectiveness for the sake of showing off more skin and getting the attention of others with the low hanging fruit of sensuality is an indicator to me of a weak personality type, and a cardinal sin against one's own self interest. If I were gay, the skimpy armors on "barbarian" type male characters would likely be just as big a turn-off.

There, may also be a bit of overlap with my techno-fetishism. I like cyborgs and gynoids and whatnot, and full plate mail (even above other competent armor types) on a woman is especially exciting because it hits some of the same man/machine integration notes.

There is no armor that is practical in all circumstances,hence the existence of the many armor classes that exist in this world including what has falsely been labeled as 'impractical' simply because it is taken almost completely unchanged when used as part of a female fictional character's design. (Just take a look at any historical records of gladiators to see how they were divided by armor grade,weapon types and roles in the arena).

post-197547-0-16458000-1419663058_thumb.jpg

There was definitely nothing weak about the character of any of the men who fought in it,sacrificing defense for maneuverability or a psychological advantage over one's opponents (to show such a lack of fear of one's opponent visiting grievous injury upon them unsettled the enemy,well,those who wouldn't just see it as a means of giving them an unimpeded thrust with their weapons).

In the simplest video game-y terms:

Lighter armors (some of which resembled simple rings or even like modern hubcaps) were meant to deflect glancing blows as one circled one's opponent but they couldn't take a simple projectile or direct hit very well. It was up to one's more heavily armored allied to cover one's vulnerable sides.

Wearing full plate at all times in all combat situations,particularly when facing off against a more mobile opponent with a war hammer,mace or maul was just providing a handy metal coffin to keep one's corpse in one piece for one's allies to drag back home if they weren't subject to rout. It was aces against projectiles and swords,though(Now,if it is Powered Armor,then exhaustion isn't a factor but power supply is).

If wearing heavier armor were always practical,troops would suit up in full body armor to this day.

Considering how much their packs weight,I doubt that many of them would welcome additional burdens which will just make them easier shots for snipers with armor piercing rounds,anyway.

Armors which fell in between those two extremes were more ideal for the average combat conditions.of course,

When one brings blatant otherworldly magical/super-science elements onto the battle field,then that all goes out the window,anyway.

I'm all for someone choosing the heavier armors in fantasy because they enjoy the aesthetics of it (I definitely appreciate the elaborate mech suits seen in mecha-themed anime),but in reality,more isn't always more.

If I were going for realism,I'd just separate the armor in the game into discrete categories,each with their own pros and cons that can result in a quick Game Over if worn in the wrong situations

People in the West tend to prefer keeping female sexuality (and 'sexualization') entirely compartmentalized in a distant sphere from their everyday conduct and attire whereas it is just considered another element in a complete,well rounded male character's on-screen/in-series depiction even to the extent that explicit male sexuality can be played for humor.

No justification is ever required for male character costuming no matter how impractical besides it fitting their personality type or vocation(a tough guy or berserker,for example,don't need to give a schpiel on why they think marching off into battle in only their small clothes...unarmored small clothes,at that, is a good idea).

Perhaps you are unusual as a niche audience within a niche audience who would use this site who prefer female modesty?

As a point of fact, I find the "barbarian" male costumes equally absurd and refuse to use those in combat as well. It's not about "compartmentalizing" female sexuality, and more about competence on the battlefield. If you were going to dig a bit deeper, you're barking up the wrong tree here. I'm more of a submissive personality type, which is a big part of why I find confidence and competence to be attractive features in a woman. To subvert their own survivability and effectiveness for the sake of showing off more skin and getting the attention of others with the low hanging fruit of sensuality is an indicator to me of a weak personality type, and a cardinal sin against one's own self interest. If I were gay, the skimpy armors on "barbarian" type male characters would likely be just as big a turn-off.

There, may also be a bit of overlap with my techno-fetishism. I like cyborgs and gynoids and whatnot, and full plate mail (even above other competent armor types) on a woman is especially exciting because it hits some of the same man/machine integration notes.

Wouldn't the barbarians be primitive hunter gatherers so working metal to create "proper" armor would be beyond them both from a technical and a logistical perspective where as stripping the fur from one of their kills would be quite possible although again they wouldn't really need to wear clothing to keep warm as they could just move to warmer climates as the seasons pass as they would also be nomadic.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps I am one of the rare individuals who frequent this site and DON'T like skimpy armor. Mostly, because a lot of the skimpy armor replacers just haphazardly lop off bits of the vanilla armor, and it looks horrible. Also, I use the SexLab framework mostly for more immersion purposes (There are children, yet nobody has sex? And prostitution is one of the world's oldest professions, yet Skyrim has no whores hanging around in the inns?).

I'll use skimpy armor mods if they are well-made, and even then only for a few photo sessions here and there, not in actual gameplay. Or maybe my character puts on the skimpy armor for a little roleplay session of her own with her lover. Plus by tweaking settings in Frostfall, she will most definitely pay the price if she tries to wander around in a blizzard wearing a chainmail bikini (Actually, this would be the case even if she was wearing iron armor from head to toe. Ever try sitting on a metal toilet seat on a cold day?). The Ebony Mail and Savior's Hide get a pass for being skimpy, because powerful enchanted Daedric artifact.

Khajiits and Nords in my opinion could have more of a justification for wearing skimpy armor. Khajiits cuz being covered in fur already means they have more protection against the cold, and being beastfolk they probably have a cultural disdain for clothes. Nords because they live in the friggin cold all their lives, so they're more used to it, plus that tie-in to Viking culture and going naked into battle and all that.

I'm using summer in skyrim right now. all girls and guys have skimpy clothes because it's hot and nudity isn't a big deal at all (NoNakedComments mod). I don't about lore ieven in the slightness. It's a single player game so who cares. I do care about immersion though, so I don't have those silly looking outfits that you see from time to time that look even more goofy because the characters will just being those awkward default stances. I also leave out the thongs most of the time unless it makes the outfit better. So both guys and girls are wandering around with no underwear on and it just feels natural. Like there was never any period of repression when it came to nudity or anything like that.

I play a Redguard with a belly dancer style outfit, so it's quite skimpy, but not too much, I find that outfits that do show everything (you know like silly full transparent dress or outfits too skimpy like lady death) are much less sexy and attractive compared to ones that do it but to a reasonnable extend, so I could believe that a real character in this world would actually wear that and not some bikini anime-style mod.

No offense to those who are crazy about these stuff tho, I don't blame them I was like that in Oblivion and at the beginning of modding Skyrim. I still do use some skimpy outfits but not the same ones as I used to. The more immersive the game gets the more entertainning it gets in my opinion.

To put a reason as to how could my character go into frozen mountains and snowy places with a belly dancer outfit, it's simple and I'll give you 2 words ^^  :

Spellsword + Flame Cloak.

You'll get warm for sure.

I don't justify skimpy clothing. I play Skyrim so I could play/immerse myself in the world of Tamriel, so no skimpy or animu shit on my game. No TERA armors or latex bullshit, though I do use Hmm What to Wear to make my Imperial look more like an adventurer who built her armor out of pieces of defeated foes. There's a line I do not cross when it comes to my Skyrim experience, and running around in a thong is a line I don't cross.

A skimpy, or better yet, naked outfit isn't as illogical as you may think. You don't overheat from armor, you can sweat freely and move around easier. Minor wounds have a lesser chance of being infected when exposed to open air without clothes being trapped in them. On top of that being naked gives you a crazy feeling of invulnerability. This usually means difference between life and death on the battlefield. That's why Gauls, Germans, American Indians and warlike Bantu tribes prided themselves on appearing fully nude in battle, and often their most feared and aggressive warriors did so.

However it should be noted all historical documented cases (perhaps with the exception of Dahomey Amazons) involved exclusively men. A woman going out on the battlefield fully naked is sheer madness for a number of reasons. So it's not practical at all if you're a woman come to think of it. But since it looks sexy, I don't think about it at all.

Tropical environment, lesbianism, and it first began with perusing the nexus and "OH MY GOD THOSE HEELS <3"  From there it just kind of devolved into me looking for and wearing lore/immersion-breaking, colorful outfits as my characters in-game (and subsequently why I later installed the tropical environment, and I mean come on, it's basically all the thrill of buying new clothes without actually needing to spend $100 on an article), and let's call it excited feelings and a sense of experimentation that led me to pursue more... racy content later.  I've always been underwhelmed that I could marry an NPC and have nothing happen but for them to basically be a cool and daring adventurer turned housewife that unconditionally loves me and merely calls me "love" and "darling" while cooking stew all day in the house.  Conversely, I've also found it silly that marriage consists of a single dialog attempt and divorce doesn't exist aside from killing one's spouse.  Sure, maybe it's "immersive" for the medieval people out there, but quite frankly, the prospect of any female adventurers, students, guards, or educated NPC's totally shatters that notion.

That said, with my move to MO, I have enjoyed the ability to disable a lot of these mods on the fly by profiles so I can enjoy more "realistic" play-throughs involving heavy armor (which I normally do not use) or because I simply want to be immersed in the world of Tamriel and not what I have created for lore.

Ultimately, everyone should be content with their own justifications.  Not everyone might have the same interests in regards to the content here on LL or whatever, but that's cool as long as it doesn't affect the real world or are not the symptoms of real disorders/problems like those of non-consensual sex/violence/abuse, zoo-philes, etc.  If it is, please have some dignity and see help such that no issues occur out there.  Acknowledging a problem with one's self and making people aware of it/trying to fix it is more noble than lurking in the shadows indulging one's self at the demise of other people.

A wizard did it.

No, but srsly. Magic armor could easily have a force field stronger than any steel over the exposed bits.

Additionally, skimpy is a relative term. Skimpy for us might not be in another culture. Take islam for example. Showing anything at all is skimpy. Who is to say that dressing like that in tamriel is skimpy? Perhaps it is normal there, and if you were fully covered people would look at you like you were wearing a burka.

Depends on the location, in the northern regions my char wears covering armor while in forested regions where its humid and hot she doesn't. Shes a rogue so to begin with her armor isn't heavy. but let's be real aside from actual slut armor alot of the armor in many of our games is about as skimpy as general attire in the real world. oh where has the word modesty gone.

Edit: My warrior char i guess wears skimpy armor. her frontal body is mostly exposed but her arms legs and back are heavily armored, she's a sword/shield char. The justifying for that is that the parts of her body that would be targetted are defended and she has a shield to keep her front safe. so not totally illogical i'd think, protecting the normally attacked parts of the body

A skimpy, or better yet, naked outfit isn't as illogical as you may think. You don't overheat from armor, you can sweat freely and move around easier. Minor wounds have a lesser chance of being infected when exposed to open air without clothes being trapped in them. On top of that being naked gives you a crazy feeling of invulnerability. This usually means difference between life and death on the battlefield. That's why Gauls, Germans, American Indians and warlike Bantu tribes prided themselves on appearing fully nude in battle, and often their most feared and aggressive warriors did so.

However it should be noted all historical documented cases (perhaps with the exception of Dahomey Amazons) involved exclusively men. A woman going out on the battlefield fully naked is sheer madness for a number of reasons. So it's not practical at all if you're a woman come to think of it. But since it looks sexy, I don't think about it at all.

Actually, ancient Briton/Celtic/Pick women DID charge into battle naked. It was actually a religious (pagan) belief that their "gods" would protect them and so they wore no armor. They also viewed it as a way to insult their opponents, showing that they so little fear of them as to charge into battle without clothing. She might be naked, but when a woman is covered in woad paint, wielding a axe and trying to kill you along with a huge crowd of other people, the last thing any male warrior thinks about is her state of undress.

Queen Boudica's rebel forces, a mix of men and women, fought like this with some initial success against the Roman Legions.

My character is the same as the one from the book she came from(With some varying degree in power). Although she doesn't exactly have the same armor that she has in the book(Which is an exoskeleton from the neck down), so the closest thing is that skintight dragon outfit(Which would be nice if it could not show skin, but I'm not complaining). I don't really dress her up in anything else unless I want to take screenshots of her in shit like a bikini and relaxing somewhere.

Actually, ancient Briton/Celtic/Pick women DID charge into battle naked. It was actually a religious (pagan) belief that their "gods" would protect them and so they wore no armor. They also viewed it as a way to insult their opponents, showing that they so little fear of them as to charge into battle without clothing. She might be naked, but when a woman is covered in woad paint, wielding a axe and trying to kill you along with a huge crowd of other people, the last thing any male warrior thinks about is her state of undress.

Queen Boudica's rebel forces, a mix of men and women, use this tactic with some initial success against the Roman Legions.

It wasn't just the women that fought naked as i recall it was both sexes

In either cases someone painted blue wielding an axe rushing towards you would be pretty scary (although the romans must have learnt to deal with it)

In my world, males and females all wear very skimpy clothing (skimpiest I can find).  So the lore is simple: people dont like wearing much, and they like showing what they got.  My own character is naked with a big ol' schlong.  He's the son of dibella and sanguine, and his presence amongst mortals makes nearly everybody get nekkid and start doin' it.  I also have springtime, so there's no snow anywhere.

If ever there were a compelling reason to avoid wearing extremely skimpy outfits or outright baring it all,it can be seen in Dragon Age: Inquisition-

post-197547-0-67782100-1423908291_thumb.jpg

It can cost you what you hold most dear or it prevents you from hiding your true inadequacies.

You might want to stop at the level of skimpiness that The Iron Bull's costume normally has if not a step shy of it just to be safe.

Archived