New PC, New Skyrim

I put together a new PC recently and I want to reinstall Skyrim on it, the thing is i'm kinda out of the loop when it comes to skyrim mods, my old mod setup kinda evolved with the modding scene, and i never used graphics mods aside from performance ENBs because my old PC was pretty old.

Basically i'm looking for something to push my 970 to the limit, hog all my RAM and cause a CPU fire. Textures, enbs, mesh improvements, new areas with complex geometry everywhere, chinese titty physics etc...

And any other shit too since my skyrim is a blank canvas to paint with ridiculous mods.

With a 970 if you ever bottleneck it, the new cards supposedly overclock like a dream. HDT is always great. You will eventually hit a bottleneck if your CPU is good. I run SLI 770's and even my rig gets a total of 45 FPS with a lower-end ENB.

From what I've seen, higher textures are great for screenshots, but will increase how fast your skyrim saves corrupt. It happens in New Vegas and it most certainly happens in Skyrim. Unless you're running Skyrim on a lightning fast SSD, your load times for a new game will go up from around 10-15 seconds to over 30 and even a minute or 2 on bloated games with 2k textures.

If you're about to do a lot of modding -- use MO.

Also remember that anything over 2k or uses mucho high-poly meshes will impact your gameplay.

BTW, what's the specs of the new PC you bought?

I always used wrye bash and manual sorting, but I guess i'll give MO a try this time, how does that profiles feature actually work? Just disables/enables certain mods or has different folders?

And i have an i7 clocked to 4.2, 16gb RAM and the aformentioned 970 which is currently on standard clocks since i put it in literally yesterday.

With a 970 if you ever bottleneck it, the new cards supposedly overclock like a dream. HDT is always great. You will eventually hit a bottleneck if your CPU is good. I run SLI 770's and even my rig gets a total of 45 FPS with a lower-end ENB.

From what I've seen, higher textures are great for screenshots, but will increase how fast your skyrim saves corrupt. It happens in New Vegas and it most certainly happens in Skyrim. Unless you're running Skyrim on a lightning fast SSD, your load times for a new game will go up from around 10-15 seconds to over 30 and even a minute or 2 on bloated games with 2k textures.

Textures can contribute to save corruption? That's really weird, i figured it was just scripts that ruined saves. I have played vegas with some big texture mods and my 200+ hour save was fine. Long load times aren't really an issue for me, I guess i could put skyrim on my SSD but considering how bloated the skyrim folder usually gets I don't think i have the space.

Who told you that? Textures are merely DDS files like bitmaps and JPEGs -- only Papyrus scripts and data values DO get baked into the gamesave, and a badly-coded script or a sloppy mod uninstall (Skyrim isn't like Oblivion where you can just pull out a mod without issues) will fuck up a gamesave over time.

Who told you that? Textures are merely DDS files like bitmaps and JPEGs -- only Papyrus scripts and data values DO get baked into the gamesave, and a badly-coded script or a sloppy mod uninstall (Skyrim isn't like Oblivion where you can just pull out a mod without issues) will fuck up a gamesave over time.

Yeah but they will still need to be loaded from you HD which will take longer (although as he says if you have a lightning fast SSD it will be reduced)

I saw a review of these 2K HD textures and gave it a try and they haven't affected my performance as far as i can tell Skyrim HD - 2K Textures by NebuLa http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/607/?

Had just finished upgrading and was looking for something to test my system as well and the reviews i was reading were saying that these were better than ones that said they were 4k

Fallout NV had this problem, and it is pretty prevalent amongst NMC texture pack users. I think it has to do with wear and tear on the drive. Saves become corrupt pretty easily on Gamebryo. I've had a few minor corruptions here or there but I haven't got 2,000 hours into a character to confirm the fringe cases.

New Vegas was solid to mod but eventually your saves would corrupt. The plants and cars would corrupt, your character's face would be in an exclamation point. At some point I figured it was caused by modding the game because seemingly, only the modded textures would break. Saves could not be made, autosaves weren't available. That save is done, and I've heard it happen a few times on Skyrim.

While Skyrim is more stable than previous games, it should still suffer from similar effects from both a lot of mods, and bloated game saves. I'm betting that scripts have far more to do with this, wear and tear on a drive tends to cause hardware failures. The more load on a system, the more quickly a problem arises.

Thats because enb's only support one gpu so technically you;re only running it off one 770.. argue this all you want as boris (the guy who created enb's)  has even said that enb doesnt support sli / cf.

Thats because enb's only support one gpu so technically you;re only running it off one 770.. argue this all you want as boris (the guy who created enb's)  has even said that enb doesnt support sli / cf.

While ENB may only run off one GPU Skyrim is still able to utilize the 2nd card. The 2nd runs at about 80% total TDP or so and the main is running at near full power.

My guess is a ENB will run off the main but but the 2nd is still running textures. Pure conjecture but I disabling SLI does drop the FPS(running with a limit of 60 due to my monitor) With SLI off, the FPS stays at around 42 using FRAPS and the ENB counter. I'm using HRK's ENB preset if I recall and it is pretty light in terms of a FPS hit.

Enabling SLI brings it up to cap, I could change the limiter to see if it will scale to around 80%. I know Skyrim does pretty well with SLI. If you would like, I could take some screenshots or something.

Archived