Cellan Race Mod

GDelscribe

IMO, the otter doesn't look good with digi feet. It should just have large slightly webbed feet with large toe bones, pads, and claws.

EDIT: not perfect, but for example, this is just a 5 minute morph of a free low poly otter model without a digitigrade curve.

you also want to keep in mind how webbed you want it. It depends on the species and they don't usually appear webbed out of water.

edbd35697ab04c0b01c56d31d37a27cc.pngf792b521f16595b51950d287a3f64401.png

5 hours ago, NightroModzz said:

IMO, the otter doesn't look good with digi feet. It should just have large slightly webbed feet with large toe bones, pads, and claws. [...] you also want to keep in mind how webbed you want it. It depends on the species and they don't usually appear webbed out of water.

BD already said he will look into giving them plantigrade humanoid feet after I suggested it and also mentioned giving them claws, so I guess with some tweaks, whichever human feet mesh he uses as a base (FemFeet or SOS) can be turned into what you suggest, with claws and a bit of webbing.

Also perhaps the digi feet don't fit them that well, but I don't see why they can't be offered as an extra option for anyone that may want it. I've already mentioned making the planti humanoid feet the default anyway, so there's that.

Another photoshoot. EXCEPT for the feet, I'm just about done with the males. We have new smaller more otter-like ears with a new head tri file so the ears would behave nicely in the facial animations. There's a new mouth with smaller fish-eater teeth rather than big canines. Spent a bunch of time on a custom MSN for the head, which came out well. The belly fur got a lot of attention and I think it's pretty good now.

The feet need major attention. Bigger, more solid all over, and the damn normals are just wrong.

Ecco:

Male Full Body.jpg

Male Head 2.jpg

Otter 3Q.jpg

Otter alt color.jpg

Otter back view.jpg

Can I just say how stupid and goddamn frustrating this whole patched-together mess of tools is? I know everyone's a volunteer and it's all free but Jesus H Christ on a fucking raft, this is the best modding platform in the freaking universe and the tools are total crap. Somehow niftools decided to reinvent the universe and walked away half way through the project, and blender decided to reinvent the universe and the blender tools people walked away halfway through the project and I'm dealing with this total heap of steaming garbage.

I have the male otter basically done and ready to release as a sneak preview test version, and all the methods that I've been doing since for-fucking-ever have decided to throw a shit fit and stop working.

At this point the only thing left is the goddamn schlong. How many dicks have I made in the past two years? I don't even want to count. But today (and yesterday, and the day before) when I export the two weight versions of the mesh, the vert order gets scrambled. Why, when it works on all the other meshes? No fucking idea. So I do the trick of going through Object Studio and obj files, which works on the heads just fine. And that produces a mesh that crashes the system. And I can't use that on the feet because they come in super-flat. Dunno why, I applied transformations in the mesh already. And the feet msns want the red channel inverted. Doesn't match the body but if it matches the body the shadows are wrong. 

Gah. Garbage. I hate everybody.

Its... actually the reason I contacted you for help in the first place.

I kept getting so incredibly frustrated and unable to do even the most basic thing, that I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I really appreciate the work youre doing. 

4 hours ago, Bad Dog said:

I have the male otter basically done and ready to release as a sneak preview test version, and all the methods that I've been doing since for-fucking-ever have decided to throw a shit fit and stop working.

At this point the only thing left is the goddamn schlong. How many dicks have I made in the past two years? I don't even want to count. But today (and yesterday, and the day before) when I export the two weight versions of the mesh, the vert order gets scrambled. Why, when it works on all the other meshes? No fucking idea. So I do the trick of going through Object Studio and obj files, which works on the heads just fine. And that produces a mesh that crashes the system. And I can't use that on the feet because they come in super-flat. Dunno why, I applied transformations in the mesh already. And the feet msns want the red channel inverted. Doesn't match the body but if it matches the body the shadows are wrong. 

Since you already posted pics of the schlong mesh ingame, and going by your mention of the different weight versions, I assume your problem here is getting the _0 mesh ingame because the _1 one is ingame and working fine already, right?

I know for a fact Outfit Studio/Bodyslide can handle schlong meshes, because there are several BS sets for schlong meshes floating around and they all work fine (hell, there's one set packed with my shark race mod). Should be as easy as loading the _1 nif, importing the _0 shape as OBJ through the process you already know from the heads, and saving again. I can only think of two things that could explain your issue with it:

1. You need to force OS to use the male skeleton when working with male SOS stuff. This is because male and female skeletons have the SOS bones in different positions and could even have some kind of difference on hierarchy (but not sure about that). Even if it's this, it should only cause the schlongs to be misaligned with the body and not break the nif, but with Skyrim you never know.
  2. There's something wrong with the nif that's already ingame. In the sense that something about it (some bit of data, flag, setting, etc.) is unconventional, deprecated or simply can't be properly processed by OS, and causes it to break when saving the edited nif; chances are if you simply load and save the nif without making any changes it would still break.

For #1, you can try changing the OS skeleton to the male one before working on the schlong nif. In the main BS window, open "Settings" and in the Reference Skeleton File field select "skeleton_male_sk". Save the changes, open OS, and try again. If the nif doesn't break after that, good (though you have to change the ref skeleton back to the "skeleton_female_sk" one afterwards or else all BS sets and OS projects will come out wrong because they need the female skeleton).

For #2, unfortunately I have no idea at all. Maybe compare your schlong nif settings with those of any of the BS sets for schlongs and see if there's something different that could cause that issue.

As for the feet, no idea either. What do you mean with "super-flat", though?

Dunno what I'm going to do. I've now proven that I can't move a vertex in blender and have the mesh export with the vert order intact. This is how I exported the feet (much better feet) two days ago. I don't know what's different.

And exporting an obj from object studio now exports the mesh as individual tris, unconnected to each other. 

I'm taking a few days off. Maybe when I get back things will look different.

I said I was going to quit and go home but then I thought of something else to try. The sheath part is the same as the other beast schlongs, so I copied just that mesh from another nif, _0 to _0 and _1 to _1. And that works. So I don't have a solution but I have somthing that will sorta work for now. 

I'm guessing this mesh is buggered in some way. Since I've hardly changed it I don't know how, but I'm hoping other meshes will still export correctly.

3 minutes ago, Bad Dog said:

I said I was going to quit and go home but then I thought of something else to try. The sheath part is the same as the other beast schlongs, so I copied just that mesh from another nif, _0 to _0 and _1 to _1. And that works. So I don't have a solution but I have somthing that will sorta work for now. 

I'm guessing this mesh is buggered in some way. Since I've hardly changed it I don't know how, but I'm hoping other meshes will still export correctly.

Oh, okay. That's great then. Hoping it was a one-off thing and other meshes export right too.

One question, though, 'cause I'm curious: since you said the only thing left to have males be basically done was the schlong and seems like that issue is solved already, does that mean any further progress on the mod (whenever it happens) will focus on females, or is there something else you want to do first? I mean, males look great so far, but I would like to see how females turn out as well.

38 minutes ago, Bad Dog said:

Dunno what I'm going to do. I've now proven that I can't move a vertex in blender and have the mesh export with the vert order intact. This is how I exported the feet (much better feet) two days ago. I don't know what's different.

And exporting an obj from object studio now exports the mesh as individual tris, unconnected to each other. 

I'm taking a few days off. Maybe when I get back things will look different.

Had a similar issue with UE4 and was told, "Unreal exporting obj with vertices un-weld, there's "Welded Vertices" option when export as fbx but not for exporting obj format."

Ya, I'll put up a test version soon. Just discovered I rolled back the web hands for a reason I don't remember... I'll get those back then put it up.

Once the guys are sorted I'll do females. Then maybe I'll put some NPCs on a boat in Solitude, just so you have someone to play with. Make one of them a follower. Maybe use that empty boat right where a lot of my screenshots are taken.

So the OS method of making _0 and _1 variants works for the web hands. The only thing I can guess is that sheath mesh somehow got buggered so every tri is acting as its own thing. That led to the OS obj export creating individual tris and also screwed up the blender export to nif. I'll come back to it when I finish the hoodie version.

Test version of the male is here.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:00 AM, Bad Dog said:

Can I just say how stupid and goddamn frustrating this whole patched-together mess of tools is? I know everyone's a volunteer and it's all free but Jesus H Christ on a fucking raft, this is the best modding platform in the freaking universe and the tools are total crap. Somehow niftools decided to reinvent the universe and walked away half way through the project, and blender decided to reinvent the universe and the blender tools people walked away halfway through the project and I'm dealing with this total heap of steaming garbage.

Depending on what version of blender you are using, I have a script for 2.49b that can help you with the vert order issue. It works by matching vertices between meshes assuming they have the same topology after you do an initial match of at least one face manually. This means you can take your _0 mesh, match it to your _1 mesh, but guarantee vert order / UVs for export.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:10 AM, Bad Dog said:

That could be really cool. Ship it my way please.

Put the attached in your blender install folder under .blender/scripts. Note that for this to work (I think) you need to only have tris. No quads. Furthermore the topology must be identical (obv). Well kinda. This version of the script does a best effort no matter what, but results will be funky if topology doesn't match. I did add an option to operate only on selected faces, so that if you have portions of a mesh with identical topology, you can select just those portions on both meshes and run the script with that option.

Step 1. Prepare _0 and _1 meshes however you wish. Don't worry about operations that may break vert order between the two.

Step 2. Once both meshes are prepared, duplicate your _0 mesh.

Step 3. Match one at least one face (for every contiguous part of geometry) from the duplicated _0 mesh to the _1 mesh.

Step 4. Select the duplicated _0 mesh, then the target _1 mesh (so that the _1 mesh is active).

Step 5. Run "Smart Shrinkwrap to Active".

Step 5b. Weird quirk, the viewport doesn't update immediately after the script runs, so go into edit mode on the mesh you are trying to shrinkwrap, then back to object mode to see the changes.

Step 6. After verifying correct shrinkwrap, delete old _1 mesh, rename duplicated _0 mesh to _1, and export.

Let me know if these steps are wrong / unclear.

smart_shrinkwrap_test.py

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
6 hours ago, Subject2Host said:

Is this making much progress in development? Seems like it's been forever without much word.

Check Bad Dog's link above. The mod is pretty much finished and feature-complete already, lol.

Archived