Preferred Overhaul Mod?

Reine

Preferred Overhaul  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which overhaul to play: SkyRe or Requiem?

• Requiem
    • SkyRe
    • Other

After playing through most of Skyrim while keeping it rather Vanilla, I figure it is time to dive deep into the pool of overhauling the game, and adding a bit of realism. I've already grabbed a few things to help me with that, but I've come to a crossroads when it comes to the major overhaul. I can't decide between Requiem or SkyRe. Both look intriguing, but it's difficult to decide just by looking at a couple overview videos for them.

So I figure, who better to ask for a decision on mods than the LL community? So, someone give me a good reason to use one over the other. Or give me a better one I don't even know about.

Well, I'll tell you what I know about them, but keep in mind that this has merely been my experiences with them.

SkyRe

Much more modular than Requiem, which is nice, but also means more ESPs in your load order. SkyRe handles custom races a lot better than requiem as well. However, there are a lot of elements that SkyRe leaves untouched, such as werewolves and vampires. The quick pace of SkyRe combat, along with the fast stamina regeneration makes things feel a lot more dynamic and interesting to me. Also, rangers get to choose between longbows and shortbows and crossbows, instead of just bows and crossbows. SkyRe also has a nice system for handling alchemy.

Requiem

A much more comprehensive overhaul, but that also comes with more compatibility flaws.  You will have a much more difficult time in Requiem because it is generally harder and more devious. Custom races have an issue that will prevent them from not regenerating health like normal without a patch for requiem. However, requiem generally feels like a much more polished package than SkyRe. Has a pretty unique way of handling magic in that you can learn spells just from taking the magic perks. Alchemy is also quite powerful in Requiem. Stealth is also more difficult in requiem, requiring you to travel light if you want to stay quiet. However, it has some dickish things about it that stop me from using it, namely Bleak Falls Barrow.

It really depends on your personal tastes, honestly. SkyRe is more compatible, and gives me enough challenge to be fun, without feeling oppressively unfair.

*Edit* For reference, I play skyre at Adept difficulty, because I don't find damage sponge enemies to be compelling gameplay. I prefer combat to be quick and lethal for both sides.

None of the above.  

Requiem 1.7.3 has a lot of stupid in it* that could be configured away or fixed with another mod.  However, there are too many bugs to be enjoyable (making your horse sprint for any length of time giving you super human speed off your horse) the latest release requires Java which is a nonstarter and doesn't have the necessary mods to fix the stupid in it.

* Gold having weight worked great in Daggerfall because there was a friggin' bank.  In Skyrim, there is no friggin' bank which makes gold's weight just pointless inventory-micromanagement.

* Invisible entities - Seriously?  Fuck you in your stupid face, Ogreboss.

* Trash mobs for the sake of trash mobs.

* Archers are one hit death machines.

* Insta-health-regen undead for the sake of insta-health-regen undead, and they only fall quickly to certain high level spells.

SkyRe is that guy's first mod and it shows.  Arbitrary perks for the sake of arbitrary perks are still arbitrary perks and at a certain player level enemies become damage sponges.

You're much better off using combat overhauls than gameplay overhauls. Add something like SPERG and immersive creatures to the mix and you are good to go. Massive gameplay overhauls often try too much and end up being broken in one way or another. It's better to have smaller, modular mods than mods that change everything.

Good stuff to have: Combat overhauls, new enemies, new encounters, randomised leveled zones, new spells, armors and weapons, mods that tweak some balancing stuff like editing perk trees slightly.

Bad to have: A single mod that tries all of the above.

Why is that? Because modders are not professional content creators. More often than not, even big mods only have a single person or a small team behind them, doing this in their free time. It's much more likely a mod that focuses on say, werewolf perks is simply better and more detailed than a mod that changes the werewolf perk tree AND the rest of the game.

SkyRe.

I make use of all of the perks from the perk tree, and I haven't seen a races mod that's better. The combat is lackluster so I don't have that part installed, and instead use SkyAI Duke Patrick preset, and a mod called Poise System. Also, a mod called SIPPS for alchemy. SkyTweak takes care of the rest.

Definitely looking forward to Perkus Maximus. 

I tried SkyRE but it just wasn't for me. Getting one-shotted by a lowly bandit at level 18 was not my idea of fun. Perhaps I was doing it wrong, but it seems many of these massive overhauls try to force you into a Jack-Of-All Trades type character where you need both steel and magic to survive. That's not fun for me... so far I've settled on this mod:

ACE - Combat Skills: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/10037/?

It adds/changes perks, the flow of combat and a few other things but it's not overbearing. I enjoy it.

I have tried both SkyRe and Requiem, and I generally agree with what has been said before about them... specifically that they both have their fun points, but also come with big drawbacks that generally make them not worth using in my mind. Requiem just has too many compatibility issues, and SkyRe requires the 'ReProccer' because it changes weapon and armor values, screwing up any custom items you may have in your game.

I have personally abandon game overhauls and taken a more modular approach to my game. Here are the major ones that I always keep installed:

1. SPERG - Makes some generally fun (if not completely balanced) changes to perks. 

2. Apocalypse Magic - Adds lots of cool spells and balances magic better so that it's worth using either as a main attack, or something like a spellblade.

3. Complete Crafting Overhaul - Does exactly what it says, which is to make crafting more involved and immersive.

4. Deadly Combat - Makes combat more exciting and dynamic, without going as far as SkyRe and Requiem which change so much as to create incompatibilities.

5. Enemy AI Overhaul - Makes enemies smarter and use more abilities. Can get a little ridiculous with some of the undead bosses at low levels.

6. Path of Shadows - Stealth overhaul. Makes it less OP but a bit more engaging.

7. Trade and Barter - I consider it to be an essential merchant overhaul.

8. OBIS / Immersive Patrols - Not really mechanics overhauls, but they add more NPCs and enemies to the road, which means I make much more use of the above mods. ^_^

Hope that helps! I know it seems way more involved than just installing a complete overhaul like SkyRe or Requiem, but in truth it's not, since if you install one of the overhauls, you generally have to get a bunch of patches and such anyhow.

Archived