Evil Within Capped at 30FPS and 4GB of VRAM Required for Optimal Play

Adam Jensen

So there you go ladies and gentlemen, the Evil Within is currently capped at 30fps because according to the devs, it was "intentionally" developed like that. You can apparently unlock the framerate through console, but that may prove to be a bit hard, because according to them, in order to run this game at 1080p with a "cinematic" 30fps you need 4gb of VRAM.  You can check if you qualify to play this cinematic experience in the link below and be sure to post your thoughts as well.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/the-evil-within/12348/?p=a

Does it smell like poorly optimized console port around here? 

Oh and here are the details.

Why does the PC recommended ask for 4 GB of VRAM?
The PS4 and Xbox One both have 8 GB of unified RAM which can be used as both system and video memory. Because our PC version is functionally identical to those platforms, we recommend 4 GB of system memory, and 4 GB of VRAM for the best experience.

What's the status on the game's framerate and aspect ratio?
Shinji Mikami and the team at Tango designed The Evil Within to be played at 30fps and to utilize an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 for all platforms. The team has worked the last four years perfecting the game experience with these settings in mind. For PC players, we’ll provide debug commands on how you can alter the framerate and aspect ratio, but these commands and changes are not recommended or supported and we suggest everyone play the game as it was designed and intended for the best experience.

Can I disable the letterboxing?
The letterboxing (a 2:35:1 aspect ratio) is used for gameplay purposes, as certain elements display in the black areas of the screen. On PC, you can turn off the bars and force the game to render full-screen. However this option is not supported. We’re keeping the ability to turn off bars as a console-only command that we will share at launch

Hah! Are there even cards with 4GB VRAM that aren't meant for professional 3D modelling use and cost more than most PCs? :lol:

Huh, apparently there are. Costing from 400€ upwards. And that only gets it to equal to console graphics on 30 frames per second? :lol:

Boy, was i stupid thinking the age of half-assed console ports had passed :rolleyes:

One word to sum up all this bullshit devs keep doing to the best gaming platform and best way to make fans/money; Typical.

Make money? hahahahahaha

I am as much as PCer as anyone else and prefer it over consoles but come on. PC making money? Yeah right. And I am not even counting piracy as one of the reasons why it does not make even a fraction what the console market makes.

Simply put, PCs are hard to use and/or understand by general audiences these days. Console peasants do not understand tech talk, they don't understand requirements, hell I've met people who do not get the concept of freaking hard drive space.

So really why be surprised at developers spewing bullshit PR about console to PC ports? Face it people, consoles are where the money is at sadly. PC gaming is a niche with a very vocal and extremely elitist community.

Getting mad at a shitty console port I can understand, but how much of en elitist fuckwit do you have to be to be mad about 30 fps?

That's the thing I don't understand, I get the differences between a 30fps experience and 60fps experience, but holy shit the comments I read.

Shit like "OMG unplayable" and the alike. I guess I was never bothered by fps lol, my pc can't even handle any ENB presets and usually runs skyrim at a "smooth" 20 to 25 fps :D

I guess I can enjoy both platforms if the games are right really. To me it's not the platform you use but the actual game you play, of course when it comes to games on both platforms I'd take the one that runs it better (in the case of evil within it's sadly the console).

Getting mad at a shitty console port I can understand, but how much of en elitist fuckwit do you have to be to be mad about 30 fps?

I have no issue with playing at 30fps per se. Hell my Skyrim sometimes dip into the 30fps due to enbs and what not, but what bothers me here is the excuses they use to justify themselves. And more in hand, what worries me is the way they worded this. Cinematic or not, you shouldn't need 4GB of Vram for an experience that is locked in 30 fps. Honestly, that's just a poor optimization that is going to potentially cost them sales. 

I've heard it being called a corridor shooter? Why bother attempting a horror game if it's not a labyrinth where you search for keys and being filled with monster trying to your face as a napkin?

I miss old Silent Hills ^_^ And by old i mean the first three :lol:

Archived