2014: a brand new geckity (for me)

Guest carywinton

Windows 8 and 8.1 have issues with DirectX9 and this is evident with the message you are getting.

Run a dxdiag from a command prompt and let me know what it reveals, look at the sound tab for any issues, if it does not find any issues, then we must look at "altering" the application , GECK NV and perhaps run it in compatibility mode, thereby bypassing some of the checks for various drivers and what not.

Let me know if that help you any.

Guest carywinton

Looking at the dxdiag results I only see that RTKVHD64.sys is an unsigned driver, which may be why GECK NV is balking at it, due to Windows 8.1 not giving the official Micro$oft "Hail Marry". From several techie forums I just cruised through I am seeing lots of issues with this driver from BSOD's to Driver IRQ_Not_Less_Than Or_Equal_To errors.

Try to update sound card drivers if you have not done so. http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads  and download the High Definition Audio Codecs, hopefully that will help.

I had it too, once, and I have Windows 7. Since always.

However, now that you show this, I admit I never had it since a while...

I don't know when it stopped. The only thing I can assume is it stopped once I placed the FonixData in the right directory

EDIT: no, I tried without fonixdata. Still no issue. Oh god, it solved on its own at a certain point and I don't know how... I didn't change computer or something like that...

Looking at the dxdiag results I only see that RTKVHD64.sys is an unsigned driver, which may be why GECK NV is balking at it, due to Windows 8.1 not giving the official Micro$oft "Hail Marry". From several techie forums I just cruised through I am seeing lots of issues with this driver from BSOD's to Driver IRQ_Not_Less_Than Or_Equal_To errors.

Try to update sound card drivers if you have not done so. http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads  and download the High Definition Audio Codecs, hopefully that will help.

Upgraded the sound drivers to whql-compatible, but still no joy.

(tbh, the ones I had were already supposed to be whql but whatever)

It's been a while, but I think I've read somewhere that plugging in a microphone makes that go away. I had the same error, but didn't have a microphone at the time to try it out.

(If your soundcard has a microphone port, that is)

Gosh. I thought that was an FO3 geck thing only (& that involved crashes rather than a nag popup) so I skipped that step earlier on. But now that I've actually plugged in the old headphones in the mic, it went away!

Much love, brother.

Guest carywinton

Ah microphone, right.. should have thought of that based on the association with dialog and voice files. ....registered to Cranial RAM System and Archived. I bet if the associated voice type is not selected this may cause this unusual behavior. I will have to look into what exactly triggers this even and what it is actually looking for. Possibly see if an error was kicked out to Event Viewer for closer study. Glad you got it going again, nice memory there BruceWayne ..Kudos to you.