Escape the Cell - Live Another Life and Skyrim Unbound Mini addons

It's close. I keep thinking of other things I can add. The more I play with it, the more it feels like the most natural way to begin the game.

Really, nearly any start can be made as a "teleported from another world" start.

Caught Crossing the Border Illegally
Escape My Cell
Attacked and Left for Dead
--These starts are all viable starts as having been teleported from Earth into a random spot in Skyrim by a daedra and dumped there.

Shipwrecked off the Coast
Arrived in Skyrim by ship
Argonian Dock Worker
--You won a fancy cruise in a contest on one of the world's biggest cruise liners. You were all set to disembark at your first stop on a tropical island where you'd undoubtedly buy expensive souvenirs and cheap alcohol, when as soon as you stepped off the gangplank you ended up in *wherever*. The Shipwrecked scenario works here with just a little tweak - you were on your way across the atlantic when a goddamn iceberg drifted into the ship. As the ship started going down, you could swear you saw Kate Winslet, must've been your imagination... then you were knocked on the head. Where am I now?
Argonians may require a little more thought, like an "I've been transformed into a lizard-man!" style of thing. I guess orcs and khajiit might need something like that too. For that matter, elves. Argh.

Property Owner
--You just bought your very first house. It's such a relief to get away from your parents and live on your own for a while! As soon as you open the door, ready to start moving your furniture in, you find yourself in a strange house. Well, at least you don't have to move furniture...

Patron at an Inn
Dunmer Refugee (Windhelm)
Dunmer Refugee (Raven Rock)
--What's this? The last thing I remember is me and my buddies doing our weekly pub-crawl. I don't remember this particular one, though... must be a new stop. What the hell am I wearing? How drunk did I get?

Camping in the Woods
--Well, here I am, camping in the great outdoors. I love these vacations... such a wonderful change from my everyday humdrum life. Strange, though... when I woke up this morning, I could have sworn the trees were in different positions. Wait, where's my down sleeping bag? Why am I wearing scratchy old fur? WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING FLYING OVERHEAD?

Live in an Orc Stronghold
--Put under in dentist's chair, woke up with the worst dental work in the entire world, and why the hell is my skin green now?

Khajiit Caravan Guard
--I've always thought of myself as more of a cat person than a dog person... not a daedra, but perhaps a mage experimenting on revealing the true self within or something...? Might work for the companions start too...? Ergh...

Erik the Slayer's Childhood Friend
--Me and my good childhood friend Erik have just gotten back together after not seeing each other for years. We decided to get dinner in a local restaurant, and lo and behold we're dressed in iron armor! Erik, what the hell happened to us?

Member of a Guild
Outlaw in the Wilds
Soldier in the Army
Vampire in a Secluded Lair
Necromancer in a Hidden Lab
Vigilant of Stendarr
Native reachman forsworn
Redguard Alik'r Warrior
Altmer Agent of the Thalmor
--These ones I've got nothing for off the top of my head...

Warlock's Thrall
--This start is completely unsuitable for the "teleported from another world" scenario. Shame on you for even suggesting it.  ;)  :lol:

Member of a Guild
Outlaw in the Wilds
Soldier in the Army
Vampire in a Secluded Lair
Necromancer in a Hidden Lab
Vigilant of Stendarr
Native reachman forsworn
Redguard Alik'r Warrior
Altmer Agent of the Thalmor
--These ones I've got nothing for off the top of my head...

Almost any one of these can be a start for the "teleported from another world". Now that is if you accept the possibility that the player isn't transported directly, their mind or soul etc has been transported into these situations, a "new start". the player just gets transported into a character profile and then makes the changes he or she desires. This would work well with Redguard Alik'r Warrior or evne the Altmer Agent of the Thalmor. ;)

See if the player is transported INTO a character and then becomes aware of his or her new situation almost any story or situation can be formulated and any changes the player makes from those situations like later on curing him or herself from Vampire etc. would make much more sense as they wouldn't actually be the original individual. A necromancer using his / her powers for good? A Viglant of Stendarr deciding to become a vampire or assist Dedra (possibly with the desire of returning back home after all they would really be the only beings that would have that power. ;)

Just some thoughts thrown out there to help the creative juices. Not all of the alternate starts should be like this but some might be interesting. Provide a nice story to match this type of situation.

I tried the yanked-from-the-real-world start out today. Excellent work. I liked that you only get your magic back on the - was it the second or the third stop? Brilliant characters. Seeing the "what's a Tamriel" in there gave me goosebumps. Lysha's new armour worked well in the context of her personality: it underlined that she's the one you can take seriously, in contrast to wildly gesturing Parman in his cheap robes.

I didn't do the questline directly, I interrupted it with other things. Maybe that's why the quest didn't end for me properly? I was in Helgen and read the LAL note, but I've still got the quest in my journal. Anyway, your work blended in seamlessly with the LAL bit, IMO. Do you think there could be a final flourish, maybe one of those dialog-box kind of internal monologue things you did earlier? Something about the Dragonborn accepting his or her fate (or not). 

The part where he protests that he doesn't want to be important, and where he mentions what he wants to be instead, cracked me up.

Another reason to get dumped in the wilds could tie in to a fish-out-of-water scenario. You're a rich man's son or daughter, you never had to work in all your born days. Then from one day to another, you lose everything and have to learn how to survive. Maybe you were about to be married off to someone obnoxious and preferred to just escape, or your family are victims of some political intrigue, I don't know. But it could be fun to have the Dragonborn be clueless about things. He could be a bit mincing and precious, or simply just naive, or relishing his newfound freedom, or trying to blend in and talk like normal people do while failing miserably. Either way, it would explain why you wake up in the wilderness. You escaped, you got as far as Bruma, you met a guy in a bar who saw you flash money around and who then immediately promised to lead you safely into Skyrim... that cup of wine he gave you last night tasted a bit funny, coming to think of it, and now all your money's gone...

Almost any one of these can be a start for the "teleported from another world". Now that is if you accept the possibility that the player isn't transported directly, their mind or soul etc has been transported into these situations, a "new start". the player just gets transported into a character profile and then makes the changes he or she desires. This would work well with Redguard Alik'r Warrior or evne the Altmer Agent of the Thalmor. ;)

See if the player is transported INTO a character and then becomes aware of his or her new situation almost any story or situation can be formulated and any changes the player makes from those situations like later on curing him or herself from Vampire etc. would make much more sense as they wouldn't actually be the original individual. A necromancer using his / her powers for good? A Viglant of Stendarr deciding to become a vampire or assist Dedra (possibly with the desire of returning back home after all they would really be the only beings that would have that power. ;)

Just some thoughts thrown out there to help the creative juices. Not all of the alternate starts should be like this but some might be interesting. Provide a nice story to match this type of situation.

And the "teleported consciousness instead of teleported body" thing would solve the issues with argonians, khajiit, and all elves too.

Yes. Perhaps choosing a personality type and based on that type you could be a khajitt, or elf. Sort of like a personality self test :D. Seriously. Imagine that there would be "rules" to this as with all other inter dimentaial transportation regardless of from what dimension to which. One of the rules is the person "snatched" would have to be "compatible" with the individual that he / she was placed into otherwise there would be rejection of the transfer. Think of those really strange dreams that see oh so real. Those would be examples of this "rejection". If it sticks you stay. This could even work with intersex transfers. You can follow some of the basic principles with story lines like Skyrim (magic) where the person has to on some level accept the situation.

Hmm...I hadn't considered doing other"not of this world" scenarios, but I guess there's no reason I couldn't. That does give me some ideas for the scenario already written, since I hadn't considered the possibility that someone might start it as a khajit or an argonian. species-specific dialogue checks are easy enough, so doing a check to see if the player is something other than human and adding dialogue options along the lines of "what the hell did you do to my body?!" are certainly within my abilities.

I like the idea of being dumped in a situation without knowing what's going on too. That would be harder to write coherently within the structures of this particular medium, but if I did it right, it could turn into the most fun scenarios. I'll have to think on that a bit.

To your question, cot, I forgot to mark it as finished. I should probably do that.

I like the "not of this world", gave me an Ultima feel!  Thanks for making this!

Had an idea here, though....

What if whatever Daedra brought you here gave you a choice after finishing the MQ line?  I picture it sort of like this:

After defeating the Evil Dragon you lay down to sleep a well-deserved rest.  That is when you dream a strange dream (again?).  How much did you have to drink in that celebratory party any way?

You find yourself standing in front of a perfectly fine wardrobe that was left behind for some reason.  A voice in your head says, "You have amused me, mortal, and I will give you this one chance to return."

Any questions asked falls on deaf ears, or at least garner no response.  Or is that a chortle you hear in the far distance?

(Player has been moved to a copy of a certain house in Windhelm -- if they open the perfectly fine wardrobe the next dialogue shows, and if they exit via the door to the outside they go back to wherever they were sleeping, no muss, no fuss (but potentially a lot of upcoming fus-etc!).

Opening the wardrobe you feel a sucking feeling you nearly had forgotten...

"Woah!  What a rush!  What did you guys put in the drink any way?"

"Sssh!  Secret res... reci... stuff!"

Looking around you realise your are home.  At the frat party.

"I will miss Tamriel," you says, not sure if you will or not.

"What's a Tamriel?" your friend asks.

(Then the game ends/quits/whatever).

Just an idea, any way!

• 3 weeks later...

got a while to go on all of them, but all my WiP's are at a relatively stable place for the moment. That's good because I'm going to be at work for about 16 hours a day for the next three weeks or so. Let me know if things aren't working how they should and I'll try to fix them, but there will be precious little new content for a while. Thanks, as always, for checking out my mods. :)

• 5 months later...

Just Out Of Curiosity, Where Should The ESP For This Mod Be Loaded Relative To ASLAL In The Load Ordor?

Run Loot And You Should Be Fine. If There Are Any Problems After That Report Back With Current Loot Sorted Load Order.

It Shouldn't Matter Since LAL Isn't A True Dependency. But As Ritual Said, If Something Doesn't Seem Right, Please Let Me Know.

I Like This New Way Of Speaking. I Am Excited To Be Part Of The Future! Go Shift Key!

Just Helping Out Ravin. According To His Sig, It Makes Reading Easier For Him.

Ah. That Makes Sense. I Thought It Was A Stylistic Thing, Or Possibly Some Machine Translation Artifact.

I'd Do It More Often, But That Drops My Typing Speed Down To A Point That Just Feels Weird To Me.

I Like This New Way Of Speaking. I Am Excited To Be Part Of The Future! Go Shift Key!

Ah. That Makes Sense. I Thought It Was A Stylistic Thing, Or Possibly Some Machine Translation Artifact.

I'd Do It More Often, But That Drops My Typing Speed Down To A Point That Just Feels Weird To Me.

Jfraser And Myself Are Just Typing Like This Because We Are Responding To His Needs. I Do Something Similar With Other Members As Well Halstrom Needs Font Larger, Another Can't Take Colors Because They Are On A Phone So When Replying To A Pm I Expect Them To Answer I Only Use The Default.

Otherwise You Should Always Type Normally ;)

Just Out Of Curiosity, Where Should The ESP For This Mod Be Loaded Relative To ASLAL In The Load Ordor?

Run Loot And You Should Be Fine. If There Are Any Problems After That Report Back With Current Loot Sorted Load Order.

It Shouldn't Matter Since LAL Isn't A True Dependency. But As Ritual Said, If Something Doesn't Seem Right, Please Let Me Know.

I Always Use LOOT To Sort My Load Order, It'll Place Escape The Cell Right Below CRF, It Just Seems Like It Should Be Located Below LAL, So Just Wanted To Double Check To Sure...

Jfraser And Myself Are Just Typing Like This Because We Are Responding To His Needs. I Do Something Similar With Other Members As Well Halstrom Needs Font Larger, Another Can't Take Colors Because They Are On A Phone So When Replying To A Pm I Expect Them To Answer I Only Use The Default.

Otherwise You Should Always Type Normally ;)

Exactly What Ritual & Jfraser Said...

@Content Consumer Did You Get My Reply To You & Bjornk In The Radiant Prostitution Thread? It Was On Page 20 Post 399

@Content Consumer Did You Get My Reply To You & Bjornk In The Radiant Prostitution Thread? It Was On Page 20 Post 399

I Must Have Missed That One. ;)

I Prefer The Main... Cobra Isn't Bad But Anaconda Looks Really Odd To Me.

For Me Anaconda Looks Better On Female Argonians, But On Males Cobra Looks Better.

• 3 months later...

just  found  this  mod  and  used  latest  version  to  test

all  seemed  to  work  fine  with  the  exception  of  Mallin  forcegreet  issue  (repeated  forcegreets  whenever  in  cabin  area)

I  do  use  LAL  so  had  a  thought  is  there  a  way  to  have  the  quest  end  when  you  report  to  the  Jarl  of  Whiterun

instead  of  at  bleak  falls  barrow  (for  those  who  delay  going  there  for  a  while  due  to  using  other  mods  or  just

not  wanting  the  random  dragon   attacks  to  start  yet)?

just  found  this  mod  and  used  latest  version  to  test

all  seemed  to  work  fine  with  the  exception  of  Mallin  forcegreet  issue  (repeated  forcegreets  whenever  in  cabin  area)

I  do  use  LAL  so  had  a  thought  is  there  a  way  to  have  the  quest  end  when  you  report  to  the  Jarl  of  Whiterun

instead  of  at  bleak  falls  barrow  (for  those  who  delay  going  there  for  a  while  due  to  using  other  mods  or  just

not  wanting  the  random  dragon   attacks  to  start  yet)?

the intent behind this mod is to push the player toward the start of the Skyrim storyline because using an alternate start removes the logical tie in. it always bothered me that i had no real reason to go to Helgen, so this mod gives you one.

That said, I do have long range plans to create storylines for those who don't play as a dragonborn. Those plans should come to fruition right about the time TES VI comes out. ;)

• 3 months later...

I've Made My Own LAL Addon And Was Wondering If You'd Tell Me How You Removed LAL As Master While Still Keeping Your Own Addons Functionality Intact?

Very Simple: I Didn't. My Quests Are Not Alternate Starts - They Just Add A Story To Some Of The Starts That LAL Already Provides.

I've Made My Own LAL Addon And Was Wondering If You'd Tell Me How You Removed LAL As Master While Still Keeping Your Own Addons Functionality Intact?

Heh... I'm Making My Own LAL Addon Too! It Seems To Be Going Around, Because SkyrimLL Was Planning One Too. :)

Simple Slavery Isn't An LAL Extension, But You Can Send To SSLV From LAL.

In Your Quest Stage Code, Just Add In:

sendModEvent("SSLV Entry")

Before The Line:

ARTHLALRumorsOfWarQuest.RegisterForSingleUpdate(0.25)

Heh... I'm Making My Own LAL Addon Too! It Seems To Be Going Around, Because SkyrimLL Was Planning One Too. :)

Before The Line:

This Isn't Really About Simple Slavery (It's the EtC Thread), But That Is True. :)

Before The Line:

This Isn't Really About Simple Slavery (It's the EtC Thread), But That Is True. :)

Oops...  :blush:

Sorry. It's Been On My Mind Lately. :)