LOOT or BOSS?

Guest Omega1084

Guest Omega1084

Which one do you use and why?
I'm asking because I've been using BOSS for a while but I heard a lot of nice things about LOOT so I'm figuring out which I wanna use.

I'll be trying LOOT personally for a while anyway but I'd like to read people's thoughts on both.

I've just tried LOOT and it found 6 idential to master errors that BOSS hadn't but it then took running LOOT several times to get it to accept i'd cleaned the files and it kept throwing up warnings (one about SKYUI which it was sorting itself anyway)

Now it seems happy with no error messages although my load order has changed quite a bit so will see what happens.

Guest Omega1084

Manual sorting because BOSS and LOOT are for turbonerds and scrubs.

I like your posts. +1

I've just tried LOOT and it found 6 idential to master errors that BOSS hadn't but it then took running LOOT several times to get it to accept i'd cleaned the files and it kept throwing up warnings (one about SKYUI which it was sorting itself anyway)

Now it seems happy with no error messages although my load order has changed quite a bit so will see what happens.

A follow-up post would be greatly appreciated. n.n

I switched to LOOT sometime back and never regretted it. IMHO LOOT gives you a better starting base to tweak your load order from because of how it does load orders. BOSS's biggest issues is it is more dependent on people to update lists, which is why you will have a number of unassigned or unknown mods just all left at the end of your load order randomly.

LOL, I just found out about this program a few hours ago.

Gonna follow this thread.
I'm gonna try LOOT, but from my experience with BOSS, sometimes you still need to do some manual sorting, especially with the newest mod.

I use BOSS on my original main playthrough, because LOOT changes it so much, my save can't cope. The rest of my playthroughs, which have had it since they started, use LOOT.

That is because with BOSS, as nutluck says, I have to manually re-order all of my custom/unrecognised/personal mods by hand - that gets annoying when you have 15 unrecognised and you have to put them back in order. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Guest Omega1084

So far so good using LOOT.

No big difference besides a few mods being moved to right after their main files which seems to have had a small  performance improvement on my game.

Manual sorting because BOSS and LOOT are for turbonerds and scrubs.

I like your posts. +1

A follow-up post would be greatly appreciated. n.n

Everything is working and i'm not having to set mod rules myself which saves a bit of time.

The order is quite differen to the one that BOSS was setting but i've not noticed any change or increase/decrease in performance really though i would say the better mod checking by LOOT for stuff you can fix with TES5 edit is probably worth making the change for

Guest Omega1084

Yeah, seems like LOOT is definitely a keeper. I actually noticed a slight performance increase during hectic moments like big Civil War battles so I'm pretty happy :3

"Such Knowledge" comes from looking at what a plugin does and looking logically at where it then should go.  Tes4Edit, Wrye, CS or CK and so on are all tools to use in this.

I know, it is much longer and interesting to do so, but with 100+ mods it could take a looooooong time.

Btw, I've just used LOOT and the sorting is really different from BOSS... :blink:

I use BOSS on my original main playthrough, because LOOT changes it so much, my save can't cope. The rest of my playthroughs, which have had it since they started, use LOOT.

same ere. tried loot when first released and changed load almost completely from what boss had. saves would not load. will stay wit loot til next game 

same ere. tried loot when first released and changed load almost completely from what boss had. saves would not load. will stay wit loot til next game 

I'm having a hard time to load games previously load ordered by BOSS and manually, but once I got the chance to load, the game seems to be more stable than before. Still have CTDs, though.

I'm having a hard time to load games previously load ordered by BOSS and manually, but once I got the chance to load, the game seems to be more stable than before. Still have CTDs, though.

Yeah, that's why I use BOSS on my main playthrough, because I've had it since Skyrim came out. I use Mod Organizer, so I can keep it separate from my new playthroughs, which were all ordered by LOOT from their starts.

It's a bit of a pain - everytime I go back to my main game, I have to order by BOSS, then use Wrye Bash to check the order my unrecognised mods were in and place them in order manually. But what can you do? I'm not starting that game over if I can help it! :)

"Such Knowledge" comes from looking at what a plugin does and looking logically at where it then should go.  Tes4Edit, Wrye, CS or CK and so on are all tools to use in this.

I know, it is much longer and interesting to do so, but with 100+ mods it could take a looooooong time.

Btw, I've just used LOOT and the sorting is really different from BOSS... :blink:

It doesn't take that long if you do things "the right way" -- meaning you install one mod at a time, and read the instructions/notes, and make sure it works.

This makes it easy to see if you get new problems when adding a new mod without having to open up any utilities at all.

Of course if you download 100 mods, install, and activate them all at once, you deserve the horror you're bringing upon yourself. This goes double if you just skim (or completely ignore) the instructions for each one. ;)

LOOT is horribly broken. It can't parse user rules properly (B after A and C after B is "circular"). Even if it could LOOT does not include a way to import BOSS userlists (forcing you to re-create them all manually) and the method of doing so adds needless steps to the user interface compared to BOSS' equivalent. It takes four minutes to sort my load order while BOSS takes five seconds. It maxes out my 8-core 4.7GHz processor to ultimately do nothing more than throw plugins into a seemingly random order with no apparent rhyme or reason.

And so much attention was spent on this new sorting system that "doesn't need a masterlist" that they forgot to program common sense. If you use Morroblivion the main .esm has a warning, in both LOOT and BOSS, that reads "This needs to load directly after Oblivion.esm[...]"

LOOT sorted it to load fifteenth.

I'll leave it up to you to decide whether you want a program that can't even follow its own recommendations messing with your load order.

Edited by zippy57

Just tried LOOT yesterday, and it's just like zippy said, it mess up my load order, in the end you have to manually sort your load order...
I'm gonna stay away from LOOT for a while until it's fixed and staying with BOSS.