IGNORED

WTF Nature?!

Spectre_15

Idk if anyone here lives in an area that they may have heard about this, but a few towns in Pennsylvania, in the US, was hit with a tornado that produced chunks of hail roughly the size of golf or base balls.  The waiting list for an appraiser of the damages for the insurance is supposedly close to 10,000 people.  It took a week to get a rental car, and its gonna be another week before I get my car even looked at!  Im gonna post a picture of the damage to my windshield down below, but has anyone had a horrific disaster?  It's amazing that you hear about these disasters on TV, but until you experience one, you don't really realize how bad it really is.

10336679_817821664894580_269797608807452

Guest Mogie56

Well I will assume you were lucky enough "not" to have been driving at the time.

I personally have never been in a tornado much less even seen one first hand.

been in some f*&^ me moment earthquakes but that's about it.

since your typing on here I will also assume you and yours are ok thankfully.

but I know what you mean about insurance companies, kind of like the government slow to respond and not a lot of satisfying results.

Hopefully you get it taken care of soon though.

and yes Nature can be a testy bitch sometimes :)

We had hail here about a week ago, luckily my car was parked under a tree to soften the blows, and the hail wasn't too sizable. Walked outside afterwords and it was like a bunch of chipped ice got poured on the ground.

Nature happens, nothing you can do about it.

Lived in Kansas for a long time.  I've been through 9 tornado's within 1000 feet of me.  Kansas also is prone to having awful ice storms and hail.  I've seen baseball sized hail that broke freaking brick and stone.  Why do you think I moved to Texas!

Been through a freak hailstorm in Eastern Washington around '83 with golfball-sized chunks, but it happened in a 7-mile stretch of open road. Noone else around for miles except for 5 people, and the 3 vehicles I'd seen were untouched parked under an abandoned truckstop awning.

The only Nature-Induced accident I'd actually suffered from was on a skiing trip. Tried to outrun a sudden snowstorm, with visibility severely reduced and winds up to 38 MPH. One strong gust sent me into a treeline, slammed my face into a large hanging limb, and broke my nose and cheekbones. A broken Ethmoid bone severed my olfactory (Cranial) nerve, causing permanent Anosmia (no sense of smell; greatly reduced ability to taste).

@Gregathit

See any sheet lightning storms in Texas, yet? Awesome displays to admire, at least from a distance.

Guest Mogie56

I lived in California (gods etcha-sketch) all my life, now I live in Utah. it's really strange not being woke up at all hours by shootouts and earthquakes, mainly shootouts LOL. Now the only thing to worry about is a cold-snap or mud slide from the mountain behind the house :D  go out the back door and crank your head up about 75 to 80 degrees to see the top, of course there's like 200 feet from the house to the base and that's graduated.

@Gregathit

See any sheet lightning storms in Texas, yet? Awesome displays to admire, at least from a distance.

Yep.  Fortunately it was far enough away that I was able to admire it and not freak out.  I've lived all over the states so I've had a small taste of all weather types and other "disasters".  I'll take the lower midwest to the rest of the country any day.  The ground shaking under my feet is just a might too unnerving for me.  I also HATE snow.  Lived in Milwaukee for a couple of years and made the mistake of living within the "lake effect zone".  That means I got an extra 1 to 3 feet more snow than those smart enough to live further away from the lake.  Oh well.   :P

Guest Omega1084

Used to live in Nebraska.

Saw a few tornadoes and one of them was dangerously close before.
One of my friends ended up with a tree in his room once.

Now I live in Florida, and I used to live here when I was little but don't remember hurricanes that well.

Hopefully I don't have to deal with them at all.

We had hail here about a week ago, luckily my car was parked under a tree to soften the blows, and the hail wasn't too sizable. Walked outside afterwords and it was like a bunch of chipped ice got poured on the ground.

Nature happens, nothing you can do about it.

Was it on Thursday, May 22nd?

Guest corespore

About 7 years ago i was hunting and during the night there was a thunderstorm. I had to use the bathroom and about five seconds after i walked away from my tent with toilet paper in hand a lightning bolt struck my tent and burned all of my camping gear in about the span of a minute, tents and sleeping bags are REALLY flammable. $400 bucks worth of camping gear, some of which i had bought earlier that week, ended up as a smoldering pile of plastic, good times. My rifle was spared only because it was in a hardcase but the case itself was a complete loss, another 200 bucks gone. Still, i'm quite happy i wasn't inside the tent at the time. Worst part, we didn't see a single deer.....until.....on our way home we hit a deer. 

Guest Omega1084

About 7 years ago i was hunting and during the night there was a thunderstorm. I had to use the bathroom and about five seconds after i walked away from my tent with toilet paper in hand a lightning bolt struck my tent and burned all of my camping gear in about the span of a minute, tents and sleeping bags are REALLY flammable. $400 bucks worth of camping gear, some of which i had bought earlier that week, ended up as a smoldering pile of plastic, good times. My rifle was spared only because it was in a hardcase but the case itself was a complete loss, another 200 bucks gone. Still, i'm quite happy i wasn't inside the tent at the time. Worst part, we didn't see a single deer.....until.....on our way home we hit a deer. 

o-o

Holy crap who did you piss off to make them curse you?

I live in PA but we didn't get any monster hail here. We have had some small stuff (probably around that time). But large hail like that and tornadoes are nearly unheard of in these parts. You must be a "flatlander" I guess! :lol: Here in the mountains that stuff doesn't happen.

I was in the path of Hurricane Hugo when it rolled through the Southeast.    I remember hearing trees crash everywhere outside, and seeing the green glows everytime a transformer blew up.    I was unlucky enough that I actually had to go to work that day, because I worked for a bank that shared a building with the local power company (yeah, they got their own building back on power in no time, LOL!!), and I was one of a few people that owned an old 4WD, so I could go off road and around all the downed trees and make it in.   I still have trees down in the woods from that hurricane, that we never bothered to cut up.

Also, seen two different tornadoes first hand, and been within 50 feet of a lightening bolt striking a tree. 

I think seeing the lightening strike right in front of me freaked me out worse than any of them. 

Guest corespore

I was in the path of Hurricane Hugo when it rolled through the Southeast.    I remember hearing trees crash everywhere outside, and seeing the green glows everytime a transformer blew up.    I was unlucky enough that I actually had to go to work that day, because I worked for a bank that shared a building with the local power company (yeah, they got their own building back on power in no time, LOL!!), and I was one of a few people that owned an old 4WD, so I could go off road and around all the downed trees and make it in.   I still have trees down in the woods from that hurricane, that we never bothered to cut up.

Also, seen two different tornadoes first hand, and been within 50 feet of a lightening bolt striking a tree. 

I think seeing the lightening strike right in front of me freaked me out worse than any of them. 

Ok, so did any customers actually show up?

Ah I know what you mean. I was in the far south of Tunisia when I was like, 18, and we were chilling with friends in a town called "Tataouîne", where Lucas shot some of his Tatooine scenes. It was really cool and all, they left the wholeSkywalker house intact, so we went inside for an hour with a group of german tourists on a tour. When we came out, sand was flying everywhere so violently a german tourist was almost flayed, his skin started to turn red and bleed everywhere. We ran to the tourists' bus and the tourists' kids were literaly flying, like the sand beneath their feet crumbled and the wind was pushing them at the same time, I saw one who rolled down a hill like a freaking hay ball. The tour bus was sideways on the wind path and 2 of it's wheels didn't even touch the ground so we all had to push it from the outside until the storm calmed down. After that, 4 people were missing so we helped to look for them, they got lost in the storm and we found them all shivering behind a fake wall of the Star Wars set. Our car's windows were all broken and sand had filled it completely...

Was pretty fun though, even if the feeling of having each milimeter of your skin smeared with sand and blood is the worst thing ever.

I live in PA but we didn't get any monster hail here. We have had some small stuff (probably around that time). But large hail like that and tornadoes are nearly unheard of in these parts. You must be a "flatlander" I guess! :lol: Here in the mountains that stuff doesn't happen.

I have mountains on 3 sides of me.  People in my town have lived here their entire lives and have never seen anything like it.  It was a once in a life time occurrence to them.

After 2 weeks, finally got my car looked at... and the damage is 160% the cars value... so it's totaled... twice.  It was worth about $4500, with $7200 worth of damage.  The good news:  I can get a new car now!

On deer, I remember being on vacation with my parents. Pops sarcastically mentioned after seeing a caution sign for deers crossing the road that we have never seen, nor will see a deer. Not a minute later around the bend of the road one stared right at us and my father could barely brake in time. He sure got told right there and then. :lol:

Guest corespore

On deer, I remember being on vacation with my parents. Pops sarcastically mentioned after seeing a caution sign for deers crossing the road that we have never seen, nor will see a deer. Not a minute later around the bend of the road one stared right at us and my father could barely brake in time. He sure got told right there and then. :lol:

It's amazing how adept they are at out-smarting humans but they will gleefully leap into the path of a vehicle without a care in the world. 

Oh, I have no idea.   I worked in data processing, they kept me hid away in the dungeon.  LOL

My main job for going in was to transfer files and run programs for the day.   Back then, all the info was transferred with magnetic tapes.

Guest corespore

Oh, I have no idea.   I worked in data processing, they kept me hid away in the dungeon.  LOL

My main job for going in was to transfer files and run programs for the day.   Back then, all the info was transferred with magnetic tapes.

Oh my, the tape drive. My First custom PC had a couple of those. That whirring noise along with the dial-up tone for the old land-line based internet will haunt me for the rest of my life. 

Oh my, the tape drive. My First custom PC had a couple of those. That whirring noise along with the dial-up tone for the old land-line based internet will haunt me for the rest of my life. 

When I was 25 or 26 (back in '95/'96) that's all you could hope for as far as internet went. Geesh. It sucked bad. I could make a sandwich and coffee and eat it before a single smut photo would be loaded. :lol:

I didn't have a tape drive at that time. I had a PC that was supposed to be the hotrod of it's day. A Packard-Bell with an ENHANCED Pentium 1 chip.....that ran at a whopping 67mHz. :o But it had damned near a gigabyte of memory on a hard drive. I could play some cool games with decent (for the time) graphics, though.

hello folks, i live in east europe,we do not have mountains or either tornado stuff here, i wonder,without insurance companies,does your goverment help in any ways if people are left without hauses etc ? or guys are left on they own after such disasters ? just curious

Guest corespore

hello folks, i live in east europe,we do not have mountains or either tornado stuff here, i wonder,without insurance companies,does your goverment help in any ways if people are left without hauses etc ? or guys are left on they own after such disasters ? just curious

Not sure which country your asking about but im America we have FEMA. They are terrible at their jobs but they are a disaster relief branch of the government that supplies disaster victims with housing, food, and medical needs. If the disaster is really bad (tornado for example) the National Guard will also be called in to help with medical and transportation. 

Archived