Nvidia GTX 750 ti?

Arcanic_Eye

I wouldn't worry too much about the altcoins. My personal feeling is they are, mostly, people just trying to cash in on the "free money" mining craze that they missed out on with bitcoin. Bitcoin itself barely has any market penetration, and the rest of them have 'none'. Could be wrong, but I don't think any of them are going anywhere except for bitcoin, and even it is... a big maybe.

disclaimer: My job heavily involves bitcoin crap. I have doubts about my future employment because of it. ;)

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140123005942/en/TigerDirect-Major-Internet-Retailer-Accept-Bitcoin-BitPay#.UwZnZ8qdAhw

http://www.tigerdirect.com/bitcoin/

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/23/3888290/tigerdirectcom-to-accept-bitcoin.html

TigerDirect accepts Bitcoin

So now you can use the money you made mining to buy more mining equipment...increasing the difficulty of mining k/hashes and increasing your cost of mining....lol.

Are GPU prices still spiked from coin mining then?

Screw those guys, like the cards weren't expensive enough already.

Yes. Many stores have increased their prices (ATI) to that equal to "suggested retail price" to over "suggested retail price" due to demand. Particularly those models that are extremely desirableness to bit-coin operators. Many 80dollars to as much as 200dolars. If you haven't seen it yet.. rest assured that it is coming soon to a electronic store near you. ;)

(Actually Alt coin operators as Bit coins aren't able to be mined using these cards anymore. Something about the requirements have been changed requiring special hardware. Now Dog-coin and other coins are the main stay and traded for the desired coin of the day from alt exchanges. )

(Actually Alt coin operators as Bit coins aren't able to be mined using these cards anymore. Something about the requirements have been changed requiring special hardware. Now Dog-coin and other coins are the main stay and traded for the desired coin of the day from alt exchanges. )

Came to say this. There are few places on earth where you can GPU mine bitcoins anymore and hope to break even -- the electricity cost to mine the coins with a GPU is now more than the coins are worth, just like it is with CPU, almost everywhere.

I don't think the altcoin miners are going to drive the price up too much longer. The bitcoin miners are going to be unloading their old GPU rigs if they haven't already, and the scrypt based coins are going to be facing off against FPGAs and ASICs before long, despite scrypt being designed to foil them.

Are GPU prices still spiked from coin mining then?

Screw those guys, like the cards weren't expensive enough already.

GPU prices are spiked by 2 major causes(one indirect):

1 as you mentioned is due to the cryptocurrency craze that is going on

2 is the shortage of 28nm chips that AMD is receiving. despite being sold out in most places, AMD's discrete gpu market share dropped in the last 2 quarters due to lack of supply. The indirect cause of the supply is the release of the PS4 and Xbone, which is receiving more of AMD's attention and thus the supply of chips are tweaked to their favor as its towards a mainstream public rather than the minority which are the computer builders.

Came to say this. There are few places on earth where you can GPU mine bitcoins anymore and hope to break even -- the electricity cost to mine the coins with a GPU is now more than the coins are worth, just like it is with CPU, almost everywhere.

I don't think the altcoin miners are going to drive the price up too much longer. The bitcoin miners are going to be unloading their old GPU rigs if they haven't already, and the scrypt based coins are going to be facing off against FPGAs and ASICs before long, despite scrypt being designed to foil them.

So True, so true indeed. :)

In many cases. I know of two individuals that "fall between the cracks" so to say. They are making money in this both by creating and trading on the market. One is making about 200 to 600 dollars a month doing this. The other has almost completely replaced is income with mining. However these individuals have been doing it for some time and they are big time individuals in this. One guy has 4 or 5 machines and many many cards. He showed me he bought three 270x in one purchase.

Electric Cost.

True they are feeling the pinch right now. They are still squeaking by with their rigs but soon the "difficulty" of mining the coins will rise to a point that they won't be able to continue.

Unloading the hardware.. you are so right. Many of these are being dropped on eBay and elsewhere. Many of these cards are close to the end of their life due to the abuse they received. Many poor souls are getting these cards thinking that .. it is a new card has only been out for a few months.

There is really no way to profit at this now but people are still trying to do this.

Wait, doge coins are real? I considered those posts just an elaborate troll by /g/, even the way it spread seemed hoax-like.

I could have... damn it.  Oh well.

Wait, doge coins are real? I considered those posts just an elaborate troll by /g/, even the way it spread seemed hoax-like.

I could have... damn it.  Oh well.

Yep

https://www.coins-e.com/?ref=5335305884270592.

There is also a "pot" coin... lol.

http://potcoin.info/

DDR4 is a short while away (I hope) I won't be buying any new hardware until supporting motherboard/cpus come out.  I'm not sure if it will have any bearing on the gpu market, but its better to wait I guess, never know if gddr6/lower power consumption will come from it. If the coin market ever crashed permanently ebay will be flooded with ati cards-if that's good or bad I don't know lol. I've been itching to build a new machine because the one I use was built in 2008.

. If the coin market ever crashed permanently ebay will be flooded with ati cards-if that's good or bad I don't know

If the ATI card can be used for mining beware of the quality unless it is new. People are dumping them on Ebay and other secondary sales markets. every so many months before they fail to get money to get new cards to replace them.

. If the coin market ever crashed permanently ebay will be flooded with ati cards-if that's good or bad I don't know

If the ATI card can be used for mining beware of the quality unless it is new. People are dumping them on Ebay and other secondary sales markets. every so many months before they fail to get money to get new cards to replace them.

If the greedheads have them overclocked before dumping them, nope; OC'd cards have shorter lifespans.

Also, the quality of the card depends on the manufacturer building it around the GPU.

After all the 620 isn't that bad of a card gaming wise.

The 620 is garbage for gaming, you can only play most modern games on medium to low settings if you want good FPS.  In this case, I would save up for a GTX 760 4GB as using ENB's at 1080 resolution and above will choke even 2GB cards despite it being even a mighty GTX 680 for example.  I use Pineapple Synergy ENB in Skyrim and that ENB along with HD textures uses over 2.5GB of VRAM at 1080 resolution. 

With a mild overclock, the GTX 760 can be almost as fast as a GTX 680, I have this card and it's great as I can even play BF4 on ultra settings with 60+ FPS when playing in 64 player lobbies online.  I always go with EVGA, I used to have a GTX 670 FTW, but had to sell it due to car repair bills at the time, but I have since bought the GTX 760, it's hands down the best card for the money in it's price range.  A 600W PSU is enough to power this budget beast card.

The 620 is garbage for gaming, you can only play most modern games on medium to low settings if you want good FPS.  In this case, I would save up for a GTX 760 4GB as using ENB's at 1080 resolution and above will choke even 2GB cards despite it being even a mighty GTX 680 for example.  I use Pineapple Synergy ENB in Skyrim and that ENB along with HD textures uses over 2.5GB of VRAM at 1080 resolution. 

With a mild overclock, the GTX 760 can be almost as fast as a GTX 680, I have this card and it's great as I can even play BF4 on ultra settings with 60+ FPS when playing in 64 player lobbies online.  I always go with EVGA, I used to have a GTX 670 FTW, but had to sell it due to car repair bills at the time, but I have since bought the GTX 760, it's hands down the best card for the money in it's price range.  A 600W PSU is enough to power this budget beast card.

The 4GB versions are quite hard to find and you don't really need 4GB GDDR5 unless you are pushing your ENB to the edge and/or using badly compressed textures.

My guess is, in most of the cases, you won't notice that big of a difference by using 2K textures in front of 4K, especially if your max resolution is 1920x1080.

My Skyrim plays 45 fps with 2K textures, RealVision ENB (performance) and about 200 mods (quite a few are textures and light enhancements) in 720p on a Radeon HD 6850 with 1GB GDDR5.

It is quite an old card and I do plan a switch to a 760 with 2GB GDDR5 next week, I should then be able to push ENB to full and the resolution to 1080p with 45 to 60 fps.

I'll let you know how that works out and I may even make a small video to show off how that goes.

The 4GB versions are quite hard to find and you don't really need 4GB GDDR5 unless you are pushing your ENB to the edge and/or using badly compressed textures.

My guess is, in most of the cases, you won't notice that big of a difference by using 2K textures in front of 4K, especially if your max resolution is 1920x1080.

My Skyrim plays 45 fps with 2K textures, RealVision ENB (performance) and about 200 mods (quite a few are textures and light enhancements) in 720p on a Radeon HD 6850 with 1GB GDDR5.

It is quite an old card and I do plan a switch to a 760 with 2GB GDDR5 next week, I should then be able to push ENB to full and the resolution to 1080p with 45 to 60 fps.

I'll let you know how that works out and I may even make a small video to show off how that goes.

I like pushing ENB's to the max as it looks good and also to future proof for when Fallout 4 comes out since I think it will have punishing graphics since the consoles are not weak PS3/360 era GPU's to make the the game.  Also, I game on my LG 3D Cinema 55" 1080p HDTV and I like playing games in 3D and that uses VRAM as well.

I have a laptop with an Intel integrated graphic and can play Skyrim reasonably well with a few light mods added. There are others here that are forced to use the cheaper cards. Or .... shudders integrated cards.... These are limited granted but any reasonable dedicated graphic card will stomp my lap tops graphic. The one mentioned is a step in the right direction if money is limited and must have an improvement now.

keep in mind that nvidia always rated quality per 10ths or 100ths, a 9200 is less then a 8800.

so to answer the reason behind the low price, a 750 is actually not so great for gaming.

not saying that it's horrible but it's more made for the lower/mid range quality, i have a 770 and it's made for high-end gaming.

so to be clear, the lower quality is made for budget gaming, go higher and you can expect a higher price.

the best of nvidia currently is the titan model, here you can se the euro price of the card. (euro is higher then dollar, keep that in mind)

http://www.alternate.nl/EVGA/GeForce_GTX_Titan_SuperClocked_%2806G-P4-2791-KR%29,_grafische_kaart/html/product/1066725/?tk=7&lk=9374

really not for a budget PC but certainly a must have if you have plenty to burn and want no compromises.

this is what i currently have:

http://www.alternate.nl/MSI/N770_TF_2GD5-OC,_grafische_kaart/html/product/1082904/?tk=7&lk=9377

i really can't pay to much but for this price anyone can see the value in it, i even got a free game with it.

Well I can't afford a titan since I don't have a job at the moment (still in Uni).

Anyways, I went browsing again and found a 660 for quite the price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125443

Think this will last me a couple years while playing high-end games on high graphics?

Or this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130826

I personally would avoid that card. 

Its low end by today's standers. By the time they shipped it to you and you install it , It will be real obsolete.

Save up some coin and get a real card.

Watch YouTube , Find channels that review computer hardware Like Linus teck tips . To get a better understanding of whats available and at what price to performance range.   

Save up some coin and get a real card.

:lol: A gold credit card?

I gave up on hardware and game reviewers a long time ago, they're fucking dime-a-dozen, so hyped to the nines, and usually get wined and dined (and maybe 69'd later) by rival hardware makers that I stopped believing, and instead get what really works for me by long experience.

And word of mouth.

As much as I'm a tech, I lurk but never have an account in hardware forums where you see everyone with a signature that proclaims the size of their computing schlongs.

Archived